Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera
  • Pool
Hotel Laguna(Privlaka)
Hotel Ugljan(Ugljan Island)
  • Beachfront
All reviewspillow menufish restaurantopen bathroomflip flopshalf boardturn down servicestar hotelbeach bagsea waterfamily hotelbeautiful hotelbig hotelmain restaurantspecial thanksadriatic coastjunior suiterooms are nice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Best hotel I stayed in Croatia during this trip, quite far from city of Zadar - 30 minutes by car so ideally stay 2 nights and enjoy the surroundings while doing half day sightseeing if you have time, perfect for families, excellent breakfast and very nice combination of buffet and a la carte dinner very well served. Rooms very spacious including for 3 persons, all the facilities, very nice slippers, staff very attentive - reception, restaurants, housekeeping and free internet.

Room Tip: Staying 2 nights and doing half day tours would be perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Everything was super! I like this Hotel! i would recommend it for families who like to stop somewhere, envoy the sea and sun and do nothing. This was a very good hotel, great service, location, facilities, staff and rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mrs_Jana
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very modern and comfortable hotel. The architecture is almost worth the trip. But this hotel is quite far from the old ( and wonderful) city of Zadar : so i would not recommend it for a short stay. Better for families who like to stop somewhere, envoy the sea and sun and do nothing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjaugier
Reviewed 29 August 2013

They need to have more hotels like this in the south of Croatia near the islands! This was a lovely hotel, fantastic service, amazing location, great facilities, very helpful staff, and perfect rooms. I wish we had stayed here for longer.
Just make sure you realise the price they quote you is different depending on the number of people in the room. We had a little miscommunication, they need to be more clear about that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

As our car pulled up to the security gates leading to the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera alarm bells started to ring – my initial thoughts on the exterior of the compound, yes compound, was that we were arriving at a ‘training facility’ for those that have a penchant for working in the secret services. Austere would be an understatement!

Before I continue with my comments on the hotel I would firstly like to point out that these are my opinions based on 25 years of international first class travel. They are not based on a short snapshot of some of the worlds 4&5 star hotels they are based on not only my extensive business travels but my leisure time also. I’d further like to add, at this juncture that, in general, the staff at the hotel were pleasant and always eager to assist. I would particularly like to thank Marina for her attentive service at breakfast and during the day in the lounge bar. I did however say ‘in general’.

Checking in was a relatively painless exercise to the extent that they didn’t even want a swipe of my credit card; unusual to say the least. However, they did fall down at the first hurdle when they stated that they were unaware of any prepaid Spa treatments despite the fact I had a receipted email to evidence the same. (that debate raised its head again at checkout)

Being a 5 Star facility they offered the customary complimentarily sparking wine or fruit juice whilst the check in process was taking place. It didn’t arrive so we were asked to take a seat in the lobby. Ten minutes of sitting around awaiting a glass of fruit juice was more than enough so we asked to go to our suite. 20 minutes after arriving at the room the fruit juice arrived. Now some, reading this, may well think that this is trivial, it is; however, when taken into account with the forthcoming comments it forms part of a totally unacceptable standard.

Whether paid for or free WiFi, even hard wire would suffice, is one of my non-negotiable requirements at any hotel I stay at. This facility offers it free to all guests. Now free is good, but it is only good if it works. It did but not in our suite; a call was placed to reception that said it would be dealt with. Five hours later – still no internet. Of course, it worked in the public areas and on the balcony but working on business documents in such an environment was hardly conducive.

It was pleasing to note that the suite proffered a menu of pillows. This is the type of service akin to a 5 star hotel; of course, it being the Falkenstiener they didn’t really want us to ask for a change of pillows as that would have and did catch them out; they didn’t have any left or so they said.

Taking a deep breath we headed down for a short walkabout and a trip to the beach & pool. Beach towels were actually in the room and that there was no visible sign of pool attendants during our stay. This meant that if not out at 8am to reserve your sunbed you were out of luck and were left with the beach only option. Of course, as you will find out, there was little or no point in complaining.

Prior to heading out of the hotel for dinner I had to handle some work on my computer. As there was no WiFi in the room I was left with no alternative other than to work on the balcony. This was fine, not that I suffer such ‘make do’ situations that easily, until I took a break for a shower. Upon finishing my shower I was astonished to hear 80’s style disco music blaring around the building. It was 7pm but I could hardly hear myself think. I was stunned to see the music was coming from the ground floor Apex of the two hotel bedroom wings so that all rooms and facilities across the hotel were bombarded with loud music… no mention of this on the hotel website I thought!

No WiFi, No Pillow Exchange & now 80’s disco music disturbing my thought process; enough was enough and I called the reception to ask the manager to call and see me. Now here’s a strange thing; they didn’t have a duty manager, only the general manager. Having asked for the GM to call and see me the reception adopted the ‘elephant in the room strategy’ and ignored me. I, on the other hand, became increasingly furious at the music and the hotel itself, therefore I called back and, when doing so, was told that the manager was busy with other guests and would not be coming to see me. I suggested that this was unacceptable and asked if they were joking, they said they weren’t joking! I set out the basis of my complaints and asked that she contact me within the hour – I am still waiting and have been home for two nights!

There are numerous other points and issues I could raise on this hotel. However, for the sake of sanity, I will draw a line after the following short points;

o Dry cleaning was returned having not been done – of course there was a bill with it!;

o Manicure staff didn’t have the correct equipment, saying they had ordered it in but it hadn’t arrived;

o The main bar was so brightly lit, and virtually empty after 10pm most nights, that it was a visually cold and an unattractive place to congregate;

o Despite asking for it to be changed – the notifications on our room TV were in German and remained the same for the duration;

o A visit to the Hamam, which was pleasant, was spoilt by the fact that there were no staff anywhere to be seen once we left the changing rooms and therefore we had to simply leave the keys & towels on the unattended reception desk;

o It is the only 5 Star International hotel I have ever been in that did not have an English speaking newspaper either in the public areas or the store.

o There are numerous part finished or unfinished step around the pool area that are quite simply dangerous to the older and younger generations particularly when there is not one piece of safety or handrail in at any of the steps or raised deck areas.

In summary; this hotel is aesthetically akin to a security service training or ‘treatment’ facility – not one of the corridors, leading to the guest rooms, had a piece of artwork or any other discerning decorative feature that could be commented on. The rates they charge, much more expensive than many of the top London hotels, were extortionate compared to the level of service afforded (we would have gone elsewhere if time and availability had permitted) which was certainly far short of a five star facility. Would I stay again; I’d have to be taken by ‘operatives’ in dark clothes and or white coats!

Room Tip: Ensure you don't get a room overlooking the entertainment area between the blocks of rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple