“Over priced and rubbish”
Review of Dublin Irish Pub

Dublin Irish Pub
Ranked #137 of 536 Restaurants in Lviv
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Eastern European
Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend, Dublin bar at Dublin prices, even on the local beer, the pipes I don't think have ever been cleaned, beer tastes old, done a good job of making it look like an Irish- American bar, but not a pub. Most importantly on st paddy's day there was no Irish music. Just an overpriced tourist trap!

3  Thank Dblviv

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Dublin is a themed pub that was doing good business during the Euro 2012 soccer championships. I had a slightly tough veal dish in a wine sauce and a glass of local beer. The atmosphere was pleasant enough.

2  Thank Faience44
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I took my two teenagers out for St. Patrick's Day to the Dublin Pub. Our first visit in six months of living here in L'viv. Saving up for a special night out. Ukrainians don't celebrate St. Patrick's day the same way North Americans do -- while festive balloons filled the place, the tables were empty. Dortmund v. Bremen football was on the television. At least one of the teams was wearing green. The music was soft Celtic and just right (although when it later changed to blues I was surprised it was not at least Van Morrison. Someone's got to tell them to play only Irish music.) We had two servers, one who took our orders ad brought our food, and another who checked on us later. Both participated in the unprofessional service we received when we had a problem.

They do serve Guinness and Kilkenny now, and lots of good beer is on the menu -- but the local lager is not. So I suffered (see me crying in my beer?) with a Heineken, and we ordered our special St. Patrick's Day dinners.

I enjoyed my tuna salad. It was fresh and flavorful. Even though it was drowning in mayonnaise, it didn't really taste that way at all. It was a pleasant treat.

My younger son loved his baby weiners, kapusta (kraut) and fried potato wedges. We all shared his onion rings. They were good and hot and crisp, even though the breading tasted as if they were bought frozen from the local grocery store at the mall. (Yes, there is a mall here -- about 20 minutes away by bus. Hmmm. Maybe that explains what came next.)

I lost my patience with this restaurant because of the calimari that my 17-year-old ordered.

First, the calimari took a good 20-minutes longer than the rest of the food to arrive at the table. Everything should have been served at the same time.

Second, the menu promised they would be deep-fried. instead, they were dressed in that limp, soggy breading you get when you defrost something in the microwaved instead of cooking it in the oven as the directions instruct. My son loves calimari, has worked at a restaurant, and is a very good cook himself. He told the server that the calmiari did not taste right and tried to send them back. The server asked him if he didn't like the taste because he had never had calimari before. No, he said. It's because they were supposed to be fried -- and crunchy -- and instead, they are soggy and tasteless. She said there was nothing she could do. He said they weren't right. She asked to take them away. We didn't see another plate. We just saw the calimari on the bill.

My poor 17-year-old has been inconsolable all evening because he thinks he ruined our St. Patrick's celebration. No wonder he is upset. The server accused him of sending his dinner back because he didn't like the taste of calimari, rather than because he didn't like the taste of those particular calimari. She didn't-- and doesn't -- understand that there's something wrong either with the calimari or with the way they are cooking it or both.

She should be grateful that someone chose to tell her so she can tell the kitchen. But that's not the way it worked.

All of this was took place in Ukringlish, so I am sure lots was lost in the translation. So we tried again. My son protested (quietly and reasonably) and got a 50% discount on the meal he didn't touch. Then I took the menu with me and protested the 50% (quietly and reasonably). Our server told us that the 50% discount was the best he could do. So I buckled, and I paid for a meal we didn't get. Well actually, that would have been his tip. Maybe I should have raised my voice.

OK, Dublin Pub, here's how service goes: When the dish is not right, the server takes it back to the kitchen and makes it right or takes the meal off the bill. Simple.

You have now lost three customers who, in the course of the next six months, could have become regulars and will be hosting a number of family and friends in coming months None of the money they spend will be going to you. We will certainly recommend against it to everyone else who asks.

Unless Dublin Pub trains staff to listen to customers rather than making them feel guilty, I hope that people will stay happy with the ale and refrain from ordering food. Thank heaven Ireland is not playing here in Euro 2012.

2  Thank Vasil_from_NC
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Newcastle Brown, Murthy's, but no Guinness, no Kilkenney. Can anybody just imagine an Irish pub with no Guinness? I'm not.
By the way, local Lvivsky brewery 1715 is good lager.
And finally, location is hard to find, small slip within the inner yard.

2  Thank Senya_The_Chief
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Dublin has a variety of good quality food and imported beers. The business lunch -- different for each weekday -- consists of simple but well-prepared dishes and offers great value for the money. The rest of the menu is pricey for L'viv standards (which is still pretty cheap!), but offers the same high-quality food. Good selection of British and Irish beers, including, of course, Guinness on tap. Atmosphere is relaxed and remotely Irish, with wooden panelling. The downstairs non-smoking section tends to be a bit of a stinkhole. Outside seating is good, and once the repairs on the neighboring building is done should be quiet in its rustic setting of the alley of "The Crooked Linden Tree."

4  Thank Chris_van_Hutsul