“What a Surprise”
Review of Bristol Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yalta
Bristol Hotel
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Yalta
Reviewed 6 February 2011

What a surprise Yalta is - & the Bristol Hotel reinforced that sense of surprise!
Yalta, itself, is like an old fashioned English seaside resort - it's got all the old style "fun" of being "beside the sea" with all the old seaside amusements, etc. at a bargain basement price. Sure, it's got a downside - all the flashy ominously scowling Russian "Mafia" guys, the language problems, the rip-off artists, etc, but, bottom line is it's still a good "cheap as chips" holiday destination except the Black Sea is more like the Med. Mind you, it's the only seaside place I've seen so many "over-dressed" women parading along front - many drinking a bottle of beer while "parading" in all their cheap glamour"& one or two actually pushing a pram at the same time!!!
The restaurants are really good, the markets are a veritable "treasure trove" of everything
& you can get two days grog supply for eight bucks (including superb vodka/excellent local beer/wine/etc) & smokes for a song!!! And some of the locals were quite plesant & helpful. We did also had dinner at the Oreanda Hotel one night - it's a really "swanky" place with a really beautiful diningroom
As for the Bristol Hotel, we had a "seaview" view with a spacious balcony overlooking an ugly "soviet'" style concrete monstrosity but,, at least , you could see the sea.The room was very nice, the staff were as helpful as they could be with the language problem. The trip down from Simferopol "Airport" was an experience that I'll never forget, the Hotel organised a limousine for the return trip for far less than I'd pay for a cab fare within my home town so it wasn't worth trying the longest trolley bus ride in the world. We had a very pleasant driver who, fortunately, spoke good German & I, subsequently, realised that we should have taken him up on his offer to drive us around during our stay.The "Airport" I must say was, positively "quaint" with cattle grazing beside the runway, & the flight down from Kiev was positively hilarious, etc!
The Hotel's breakfast in the restaurant down the street was superb & that same restaurant at night was also really great (& cheap, of course) - we had a lovely waitress who spoke passable English. Warning - don't try changing money at the currency exchange booth just outside the Hotel foyer because it's impossible - I had to walk halfway along the seafront to find one where I could manage to get some money changed. And sending a postcard was nearwell impossible - that's if you can find somewhere to buy one. Also don't go up to "The Swallows Nest " unless you're prepared to pay the local "Mafia" thugs their ( pretty modest) "tribute"!
Despite all the tribulations, we had a great, unforgettable, holiday & the Hotel was really "charming" in an old fashioned sort of way so I would strongly recommend that if you do want a "different" holiday in a somewhat "difficult" place like Yalta then stay at the Hotel Bristol - you will surely find it a really delightful experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank rodthesod

Reviewed 27 November 2010

This is an historic hotel quite in the centre of Yalta.
It is not very easy to find the first time but afterwards no problems at all.
The area is not in the real centre and so not very noisy. Anything, all is very near.
The open market is very near and also the sea.
The hotel has a swimming pool but I didn't tried as I have preferred visit the city.
The breakfast is very good and you can have it in the restaurant of the hotel located at 20 m.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rosario_it
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I read many reviews before choosing the Bristol. My wife is from kiev, and I am an American of Ukranian decent This hotel was a great choice and i suggest the business class on the 5th floor., which faces ssouth towards the bay, mountains aand tourist area. The price is very reasonable, clean, quite, and a great view and close to where ever you want to go.The driver service that picked us up , drove us around in a black Mercedes S Class, and was reasonable The drivers were great twin brothers that care about thier job, and customers. The breakfast at the Bristol was excellant, and the evening hot soups, freshly made , hit the spot Security was always present, and you feel safe. The walk to the beach, town, and tourist area and all very close. no other hotel is this close.
Would stay here again, and you get more for your money in this area of the world.
Gary and Olena

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gary6901
Reviewed 13 October 2009

spent three nights here (originally booked only two, but stayed one day longer and did not see a reason to change the hotel for the extra night).

clean rooms, friendly service in hotel's business center and reception; the only real problem was that one could hear everything that was happening in the corridor, the door were not very sound-proof - so if you like to sleep when others are going for their 7 a.m. check out, this is a problem :-)

if it was not for the sounds issues, i would give 4 points...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank the_vj
Reviewed 29 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here for just one night whilst we showed my sister and her husband around Yalta. We have previously stayed at the Oreanda and the Yalta hotels, and the Bristol gives better value for money tha either of them. It is much more central than the Yalta and much cheaper than the Oreanda (around 30% of the price), although it's certainly not as plush as the Oreanda and the views are not he same as the Yalta.

We booked a "business class" room for just £7 (about $12 at current rates) more than my sister paid for her sandard room. We had a very generously sized room with balcony, whilst her room was still comfortable enough, but significantly smaller and no balcony. That said, I would have been disappointed if we had been there any length of time as their room overlooked the sea and had a magnificent view, whilst we were left to comtemplate a brick wall from the comfort of our small balcony!

As is the norm in this part of the world, there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms - I only mention this as I've seen others complain about it in reviews. It is just the way things are in Eastern Europe and you should never expect to be able to make a cuppa in your room.

Check-in and check-out was fine and the staff were certainly polite enough and spoke a good standard of English.

The hotel restaurant is actually situated a good 50 metres from the hotel itself, and my sister and her hsband actually managed to find their way into a poker club by mistake when they were searching for breakfast! That said, I think the restaurant is easy enough to find, and the food was okay - just a typical Ukrainian breakfast of sausages, eggs, pancakes etc. You also get 20% discount on the restaurant if you go tere for any other meals. We didn't bother as we have found a fairly newly opened cheap buffet style restaurant just off the main promenade that we like to use.

Whilst the hotel is not as central on the main promenade as the Oreanda, it is only just off the promenade (not far from McDonalds for anyone who knows Yalta) and offers excellent value for money for anyone wanting to visit the centre or surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil P
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I stayed here with a Russian student that I sponsor (I was visiting from the USA), who attends university in Yalta. Having previously stayed at a cheap, Soviet style hotel that had been recommended by a friend to save money, this hotel was a welcome change! The price was very affordable given that it was the height of the tourist season, and it was conveniently located near the promenade by the sea. Their pizza restaurant and bar were very convenient and I appreciated the WiFi service available there. My teenage friend thoroughly enjoyed their large swimming pool!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I stayed here for one night in april on a two night trip to Yalta. I planned to stay here 2 nights but moved after staying here.

The room was standard 2.5 star european fare, meaning clean but tiny beds and small bathroom (but full sized tub). I really had a hard time sleeping after 7am thanks to paper thin walls and loud noises/voices coming in all directions. On top of this I awoke to find a construction site going on just outside the room which added to the noise. The doors to the hall seemed rather flimsy for a hotel too.

The breakfast was great though, complete with the MTV on flatscreens that all hip places have in Ukraine.

We moved to the Oreanda for the second night, which was double the cost of the Bristol but more than twice as good so I felt good about this decision.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Been to Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!