“Superb”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kotor
Reviewed 19 August 2011

It's been a while since a hotel room made me go "wow", but our room in the Hotel Astoria was pretty cool (note: the hotel kindly upgraded us to a junior suite, so my room description is based on the suite). We had a wonderful view facing the water and mountains as well as a small balcony where one could step out and watch the yachts in the harbor. The decor was intriguing. Each room has it's own name, and there was a passage in Greek written on the ceiling above the bed.

Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, even sending some out to guide us to the parking lot and then taking us back to the hotel by golf cart -- providing a brief tour of Kotor in the meantime. The impression we got from hotel staff was that they were genuinely proud of their city, and wanted to share it with us.

The hotel is very conveniently located just off the main square. Breakfast was part of our rate, and served fresh from the menu -- a nice change from the typical hotel buffet.

Overall, we had an outstanding experience, and were sorry to leave. If we ever pass through Kotor again, we know where we'll be staying!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the water as it is quieter
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klavier_mann

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Great service, you feel so welcome. Someone picks you up at the main entrance, takes you to the parking and takes your luggage to the hotel. The hotel is training it's employees. In a couple of months it will be just perfect. Make sure you don't get a room facing the square 'cause the music is a bit loud. Still you will be able to sleep. They take care of every detail. I travel a lot and this is until now, one of my favorite hotels!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The location is absolutely great: in the perfect center of the Old Town of Kotor!
Rooms are confortable and clean, and the staff is polite and always ready to give you suggestions and tips. The price paid worths totally my staying in Kotor.
Kotor is perfect if you need to relax and to avoid the movida: in 10 minutes of walking is possible to reach the closest beach, in 25 minutes by bus you can get to Perast - a wonderful small town - and in 40 minutes by bus the crowdy and popular Budva.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I got the best recommendations from my friends about the hotel and all my expectations were really succeeded.
The rooms of the hotel had their own names. My room had the beautiful view of the Bay of Kotor. The room had one non-decorated part of the wall and I could see the old stones from the 14th century. The main amenity of the room were an extremely comfortable bed.
The bathroom was adorned in marble (as I remember). Everything you could possibly neeed was in there. Toilet had no bidet but had a hygienic shower.
The lobby itself is very small but pretty.

Hotel had a very nice atmosphere and I really enjoyed staying there. The staff is very frienfly.
My special thanks to Andrea, a receptionist. She was very attentive and hospitable.

I will definitely come back and will recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Warm greetings from Moscow!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2011

This hotel is a treasure for travelers on the Montenegran coastline. The location in old town Kotor makes it convenient for shopping as well as touring the town, fortress and bay area. The decor of the rooms is unique, warm and very comfortable. The staff is always helpful and are very willing to offer suggestions and information on local sites in the greater Kotor Bay region. We were given complete information and recommendations to tour in the National Park of Lovcen, the old capitol of Cetinje and the really quaint village of Njegusi. The drive up the mountain from Kotor to these places was breathtaking. We cannot say enough about the professional and courteous staff of the hotel...they are great. The hotel menu is very diverse and the food delicious. The room service is prompt and friendly. We have stayed at this hotel many times since it opened in the summer of 2010. We have always been very pleased with all aspects. On our last stay in May we accidentally forgot some items in the room. When we called to alert the hotel about the problem, they already had the items for us. Because of our schedule we were unable to return at that time, however, they were happy to express mail a couple of small critical things which were received quickly and without problems. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a unique and friendly place to stop during their travels.

Room Tip: The junior suites are all excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Astoria in Kotor for about four weeks. This was my second stay at the hotel. My wife and I stayed there for a couple of weeks in August of last year.

The hotel is fabulously decorated, with each room designed individually. The fixtures and furnishings are world-class, combing old world charm and high-tech luxury.

The location is excellent, very near the front entrance of Kotor's old town (Stari Grad). There is no driving in the old town, but it is less than five minutes walk from the taxi stand and from the parking lot across the main street from old town. There is also less expensive parking behind old town. The hotel has a golf cart for guest pickup from the parking lots, but we never used that service.

The hotel restaurant and room service is excellent. The menu provides a large variety of international fare -- more than anywhere else in Kotor and possibly anywhere else in Montenegro. The hotel bar has a lively and friendly atmosphere, but is not usually too loud for conversation. I held many meetings in the bar during my stay.

My trip ran into one major difficulty -- I caught a very nasty case of the flu and spent almost two weeks in bed. I was a pathetic mess -- coughing so loudly and so constantly that the hotel staff worried that I was going to die. The staff was very concerned and took great care of me. They were great and they really made my experience the best that it could be.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2011

When we booked (this very pretty hotel), they told us by email they would pick us up at the parking and bring us by "club car" (golf cart, basically) to the hotel, which is in the pedestrian zone. Instead, a waiter turned up to help us carry our bags the 15 minute walk, since the cart was broken. I injured my foot before arriving and am limping badly, so this was a very unpleasant start for me. The air conditioning in our room is also broken (which wouldn't be such a problem in April if this hotel were not the loudest place on earth.) They told us they would fix it when we went out to dinner. It's midnight, and they now tell us it cannot be fixed, and the hotel is fully booked, so there is no chance of getting a room where the white noise of air conditioning can help drown out the thumping club beats coming from downstairs. After a weak apology for the unexpected cross-town hike, the receptionist announced as we checked in-- "we're having a party til 1 am-- it might be loud in your room". Gross understatement. It's after midnight and our floors are shaking. The volume of the hotel party is beyond ridiculous. But the location of the hotel and the overabundance of super loud discos in the old city means sleeping in a room this poorly insulated from noise would likely be difficult even if the hotel's own bar hadn't cranked up the volume beyond reason. There is also a frighteningly bright "welcome light" just inside the door of the room that can't be turned off. Reception says it turns off in one minute. Or never in the case of this room. I can't decide whether I would rather shoot out the light or the speakers on the bar downstairs. NEVER. STAY. HERE. It's beautiful and a total disaster. We will be seeking a refund in the morning (just a few super loud hours away.)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bfdcshskpr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kotor
Hotel Vardar
Boutique Hotel Hippocampus
Hotel Monte Cristo
Hotel Monte Cristo
#1 of 12 in Kotor

Been to Hotel Astoria? Share your experiences!