“Too expensive not worthy, too noisy”
Review of Hotel Monte Cristo

Hotel Monte Cristo
Ranked #1 of 12 Kotor B&B and Inns
“Too expensive not worthy, too noisy”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

It is too expensive, has music around the hotel which makes impossible to sleep.
Wouldn't suggest to stay in this hotel it just not worth spending apartments are so much better.

It is clean but a bit small and without view it is like a prison...

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Ermal I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The slight concern I had before booking this hotel regarding its location turned out to be unwarranted as Kotor is so small that any facility within the Old Town is basically in a "central location." I have absolutely no regrets for not picking hotels seemingly slightly closer to the town gate and parking while more expensive. This place feels like a cross between a boutique hotel and a family-run B&B. The room was fine, we did not have the noise (Sunday night, off-season) and every staff member was friendly and helpful. One lady cheerfully went over the driving route to Mostar, Herzegovina, which was our next destination.
I am taking one star off because the overall value of hotels in Kotor seems less than you expect from the relatively low living standards in Montenegro. I wish they had more viable Sobe options like in Dubrovnik.
The hotel allows free parking in a lot slightly further away from the pay lot closest to the town gate but we did not find it to be a problem at all. I read in previous reviews that some got a golf cart ride, but we were not offered it. We initially parked in the pay lot and checked in. We returned to our car and moved it to the other lot and happily rolled our suitcases from the parking lot to the hotel, which was a few minutes' pleasant and scenic walk.
Be sure to walk up to the fort which affords an excellent view of the red-roofed charming town that Kotor is. I figured out early morning is best from the lighting point of view.
We also drove up into the mountains in the afternoon. We went past Cetenje and down to Budva, which is a non-descript beach resort. Took a quick photo of Stevi Stefan and returned to Kotor in darkness.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank totrotistolive
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Hotel Montecristo offered the prefect location from which to explore the lovely city of Kotor. Very comfortable and beautifully decorated. Amazing staff. We would definitely stay there again and can highly recommend its staff and its willingness to help us in every way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dmitry B
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The hotel is located right in the center of Old Town. Make sure you know where you are going, especially if you have lots of luggage to drag with you, since no cars are allowed. There is a parking lot just outside of the city walls that you can park in for free. They even took us back to the lot with their golf cart, which did help, since we had lots of luggage. The atmosphere of the hotel is great, since it's so old and has character. When we arrived, there was some fruit and cheese waiting for us, and the breakfast was nice, too. The wifi in the hotel worked. There are lots of stairs and no elevator.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelsaroundUSA
Rijeka, Croatia
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

A very very nice hotel at nice price. In the heart of Kotor old town offers a lot of joy. Restaurant below hotel, rooms and staff are great. Ver nice to visit. Maybe rooms could have some small table to work while in room but people come here to have fun not to work.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank JurijKobal
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Hotel is located right in the heart of the old town and makes a great base from which to explore Kotor. The room that I stayed in was very comfortable, nicely decorated and spacious. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant was very delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
entre arles et paris
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The Monte Cristo is great for two reasons: the staff are exceptionally nice, and the restaurant below is worth your time. Of course the central location is brilliant, everything is within walking distance, and I don't know what it's Klimint in the summer, but at 11pm exactly, the noise in the street stopped...the constant music can be annoying particularly from the next door bar, the Evergreen (which is actually brilliant at night!! Highly recommend, very friendly and fun, late!). But like I said, at 11pm, silence! Sleeping was easy, the bed was large, my TV couldn't get good satellite reception, but the staff fixed it immediately. The room was very tidy, and the shower nice. The fake velvet Klimt painting of the half-nude woman was not kitsch enough to keep, they should take it down. And the staff were great; they called the bus station and taxis for me, they let me pay for the restaurant and hotel bill with my card (normally they are separate), just great service. The restaurant downstairs is quite good; I had a fish soup that was simple and delicious, I had calamar one night (really good!), and fish the other (really good!); great wine, quick service, and breakfast was very generous and delicious. The staff were nice, good-looking, and very friendly. It annoyed me that they had to have an employee harassing people in the street to come eat there, because the food really speaks for itself, and I told the manager that they did not need to do that. But I realize it's very competitive there...but she understood what I meant. English spoken well, and understood. I stayed 2 nights at the end of October. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: I thought room 4 next to reception would be noisy, but I was wrong! Big, nice room with a view on th...