“Nice, but take care”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We had just returned form a walk, climb up to the top of the fortification and were looking for a reasonable lunch. Having been ushered away from the tables in the square belonging to another cafe, this place seemed like it was as good. The alleyway setting is quaint, and on a hot day the shade is welcome. The menu is fairly standard, but they do point you towards the more expensive steaks and seafoods.
The lemonade was lemon juice mixed with water and ice. Nice, but not what I was expecting. Next came bruschetta, toast and cheese. This was also delicious, but not what we ordered. We should have questioned it, but surely they wouldn't give you something to try and then charge you for it, would they? In fact they did. €2.00 per person was added to the bill. No, we didn't question it, but also didn't leave a tip. So check if something is given that wasn't ordered.
Food? Very good, but it doesn't always look like the photo in the menu.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I am not a pizza person, and the name about kept me away. However, I was lured in by their special that night, baked lamb. It did not disappoint. We spent over two weeks in the Balkans in 8 countries and I had lamb 7 or 8 times and this was by far the best lamb and the best dish I had our entire trip. It was moist, very flavorful and the baked potatoes that came with it were infused with some of the lamby taste. My wife ordered a steak with gorgonzola sauce and it, too, was great, perhaps her favorite meal of our trip. The gorgonzola sauce was generous, the steak was cooked to her specifications and it was tender and juicy. I ordered a side shopska salad which was quite ordinary (several better ones in other places) and we shared a pancake (crepe) that was good. As at least one other reviewer mentioned, we were also served a complimentary bruschetta with a side dollop of some sort of mixture which tasted like it included egg, tuna and mayonnaise. It was very nice. The chef was attentive and friendly, but not overly intrusive. If we'd stayed another day, I would have been back the next evening for the lamb.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Although the food was good here we were stung by having to pay for the bruschetta and local dip which we didn't order. We thought it was complimentary as we were served something similar in a restaurant elsewhere in The Balkans and it was on the house. So if this happens again, I will make a point of asking if it is complimentary or not. It leaves you feeling cheated and taken advantage of.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Although this restaurant has photos of the food and the sign is a bit battered, they have lovely tables in an alleyway off one of the nicest squares in the Old Town. We went there because the owner and chef were friendly and we didn't want a "fancy" meal.

Dalmatian starter platter was excellent especially the ham. The cutlet in sauce was tender and tasty. Chips were freshly cooked and perfectly seasoned. The inexpensive house red is very drinkable.

All in all a good choice.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Only on Kotar for one night and was passed a flyer as we wandered the old town. We later checked on trip advisor as we had previously been ripped off in Dubrovnik and so was not taking any chances. We saw good reviews and so went with it. We were not disappointed, the host was very attentive and the food, a pizza for my husband and fresh sea bass for myself was excellent. Good value and good food.

1  Thank cessna1520