“Delightful little break from the heat!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 96 things to do in Kotor
Colorado Springs, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Delightful little break from the heat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I really enjoyed this little museum. I loved the room decor, the wall paintings - everything except perhaps the actual maritime part. I don't even remember that, except for the model of a ship. The weapons display was rather interesting, but mostly I jut loved the furnishings. The wood work was just stunning. Shows the craftsmanship that went into it.

We spent a day in Kotor with our tour group, and this was on the agenda. As I said, I liked it a lot. The City Tour was a lot of information I soon forgot, but the town itself is so charming you can just wander the streets and alleys for hours. It's a great place for sitting with a beer and just relaxing, people watching. My husband walked the wall, but the first part is a killer for anyone with acrophobia and poor balance, so I decided to shop instead. Kotor was a nice relaxing day trip in the midst of a busy schedule.

Visited May 2014

• Greek first
  • Serbian first
Alexandria, VA
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“History of Kotor's Maritime Development”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

There's not tons to do in Kotor, and we found this small, but nice museum enjoyable. I am biased to all things nautical, and given the importance that ships and trade made to the development of Kotor, this is a really good stop on your visit.

Not only are there model ships and naval and maritime artifacts (with an English guide), but there is a rotating (changing) modern exhibit, which I liked a lot. Your ticket is a pretty postcard, which makes a nice souvenir.

Visited July 2013
Frederick, MD
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 221 helpful votes
“Informative museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a small museum that's quite interesting to see, and doable in about 40 minutes. You can use an audio guide, but I found it not needed, as the information is in English. Of course, you'll get more from the audio guide.

For me the decorated swords were the most special to see, along with reading about the various captains.

You will need to store any large bags. And there are no bathroom facilities. I thought that was quite odd for a museum.

Visited November 2013
Bognor
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A well though out collection for those interested in maritime history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I just can't agree with a previous comment about the Maritime Museum. It obviously concerns itself with all things connected with the region's close relationship with the sea but if you listen to the audio guide you realise what extraordinarily brave men featured in the local history. The pieces of furniture and costumes were also really interesting. I've seen rooms full of armour all over the place but never seen such decorated swords and weapons used by pirates. Don't go with a guide, take your time and wander around at leisure and breathe in the history. I did see a couple of families with small children, but I can't think that children would be interested enough in the place - not enough bells and whistles for them !

Visited October 2013
Inverkip, United Kingdom
280 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 244 helpful votes
“There are better things in Kotor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Museum was a part of an excursion around and in Kotor itself. If I hadn't been there and instead had been strolling in the wonderful lanes of the city, I would have found better things to see. The Maritime Museum completely disappointed me. Our guide made the visit even worse, because she was speaking so much for details noone was interested in and after five minutes noone would remember a thing. Looking at the expression of other people in the same group, It was obvious how they were feeling:
They wanted to finish with it, as soon as possible.
I understand that the Museum together with the Cathedral are, according to the locals, the main attractions in the city. According to my opinion though, Kotor's beauty is outside these buildings, in the city's streets, in the buildings façades, in the fortifications, etc.
If you have only some hours to spend in Kotor, like myself, time is very precious. I wouldn't recommend the Museum to my friends, to tell you the truth. There are better options in the city.

Visited May 2013