“Excellent Hotel! And Awesome Staff! Very Good Location!”
Review of Hotel Maritza

Hotel Maritza
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Plovdiv
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Maritza Hotel Plovdiv sure is 1 of the sweetest holidays' memories! We were a large Group of 45 Travellers-Tourists and all of us were so happy with this Hotel! Plus, the Staff of the Hotel welcomed us the "traditional" Bulgarian way, with a big pie like bread and nice Bulgarian Wine. I was given a Junior Suite and I was astonished! So spacious and well-organised! So clean and comfortable. The bed was excellent, the pillows one of the best I ever slept on, the view from the windows, especially during the night, was note-worthy and the maids really know how to satisfy with their work, the Hotel's guests! Maritza Hotel can easily compete with Novotel Plovdiv Hotel. The breakfast is offered with adequate variety and within reasonable time-limits. I strongly recommend the cherry red juice that is also offered for breakfast! And the food (for lunch or dinner) is so nice and well-cooked, that looks like it's well taken care of! The Lobby of Maritza Hotel Plovdiv is decorated with Royal-like artifacts, reminding the visitor that it is a luxurious Hotel. Adjusting the rooms A/C may take you a while to master, but it is well worth the "effort". When you walk out of the Hotel's Door, and you turn left, you can walk for like 10 minutes and visit the nicest Cafe-Bar of Plovdiv, that's "dressed" with the color of white, has good music, awesome drinks and not-bad prices! To visit Plovdiv's City-Center, you need to use the "covered" pedestrian bridge, that has a wide variety of Shops, in both of its sides! In all honesty, I would stay again at Maritza Hotel Plovdiv, only this time for LONGER!!! To summarise, the Hotel has my so hard-to-get Stamp Of Approval(TM), together with a strong recommendation from me and the other 44 members of the Group!!! And that's leaving aside that many big Supermarkets are 12 minutes of walk away from the Hotel!!! Come to think of the Hotel, I wish I was there NOW!

Room Tip: Rooms on Floor #2, Ladies & Gentlemen... And you will NOT regret this, unless you claim them the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
17  Thank Kirkos P

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was the organizer for a group of 14 USA tourists, we were in Bulgaria for 10 days, 2 nights we were supposed to spend in Plovdiv. I chose Maritza because of its location (close to the city center) and 4 star status. Based on the pictures I saw when booking (a few months in advance), I was ok with the decor, just thought it had more "personality" than others. I booked and prepaid for the deluxe rooms probably 3 months in advance of the trip.

We arrived at the hotel very late, around 11pm as we had left Sofia late in the day and chose to also have dinner prior to checking in.

The girl at the reception checked us in relatively quickly. I was surprised to see a huge pile of packing boxes, and items like big bottles of oil or something like it, stacked up right next to reception desk. The girl said "Oh, it belongs to the owners, they'll pick it up soon" (it was still there the next morning).

My real shock came when I entered the room. Small entry way, dirty carpet, low ceilings, smelling funny, leading to tiny room with 2 small and greasy couches, from there a door to the bedroom which had the ugliest possible wall paper, plus a bed that barely looked made, one flat sheet on top of the mattress and it wasn't even able to cover the mattress..Disgusting cover...paint peeling off the walls, cockroach traps...the list goes on..

Bathroom light wasn't working, so I had to call reception (they did send someone to fix it) and ask how could this be possibly be a room in a 4 star hotel. She said that these are the CLASSIC rooms to which I replied that we had booked the DELUXE rooms. She said nothing could be done about it as they had already booked the deluxe rooms and they couldn't move us and I would have to talk to manager next day.

Before she was done speaking I was on my phone (at least wi-fi was good, they get 1 star for that and that only, and also because I can't give zero stars) looking for another hotel in Plovdiv.

In the morning noone was to be found at reception to answer some questions we had...Even when we saw some staff around, they acted as if we weren't there. We left the hotel as we had something planned, but the plan was to check out around lunch time even though we had prepaid for 2 nights. When we returned the manager was waiting for us and she tried to talk to us and apologize, but it was too late for that. She offered to move us to the deluxe rooms and even to offer free lunch or dinner, but I didn't want to spend another minute there and so we left (Thank you, hotel Imperial for saving us and showing us what a 4 star hotel really looks like).

They refunded our money later that day. By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. NOT a 4 STAR hotel (even 2 stars would be generous).

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Iva B
Reviewed 31 July 2014

One thing the hotel is well situated next to the martiza river and the city center. The hotel staff is extremely unfriendly won't even make change for cab fare answered me very rudely! The rooms ware clean but hot like hell, air-conditioning is useless in this place.The bar people just ignore you when I wanted to order a drink. The staff continues to smoke none stop and talk to each other ignoring the clients. The Victoria group needs to give all the staff a good course as how to treat tourists during their stay & to teach them that this is a HOSPITALITY business! I felt very unwelcome in this "0" star hotel. I would never go back there and won't recommend this to my friends!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Arson2014a
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the Maritza for a couple of nights and had mixed experiences. The room was large but very dark due to the decor. The room was non-smoking but the aroma of smoke was everywhere. The lobby bar prices were extremely high (double the mini bar price) and the staff were a little brusque but this is normal in many BG hotels. Breakfast was appalling on the first day, we arrived at 9am and everything was stale and when we asked for fresh bread we were told everything was fresh when it was put out at 7am! Eventually we were given fresh bread so we could eat something. The next day was much better as a waiter simply asked what we wanted and brought out freshly prepared food, as we were about the only ones in the hotel this made much more sense. Wi-Fi was good throughout the hotel and there was plenty of parking spaces. The location was pretty good too with a short walk across the river into the town centre to all the attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

During our trip (Aug 2013) , we stayed in several hotels in Bulgaria. in Plovdiv we found Maritza 4-star hotel, as the most Impressive beauty, relatively inexpensive and clean. We stayed there two nights. Though the room was actually a suite in a very theatrical and sexy design, I must say that In the bathroom I couldn't see very well ... and I was afraid to shave my ears... due to the red and black colors all over the place along with very dim lighting ... but still in a very sexy atmosphere....
The hotel location is quite good, the breakfast is average, the staff was nice.

BTW, Sorry I didn't take some pictures of our suite .... just to show you what I mean.

Enjoy your next trip and smile !

Room Tip: 1. Try to have the higher floors rooms and ask the reception to check the air condition system befor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Al0n_C
Reviewed 8 July 2013

If you can get the right rate, I went through Booking.com.this is a great hotel 40 euros a night for a deluxe double ,single occupancy. The room is basicallya suite with a great view. stayed for 2 nights late june could not find fault.

Room Tip: ask for an end room as these have balconies
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Nick R
Reviewed 21 August 2012

bed sides-it is so dark,and it smell so strange.room was clean but reception and public spaces didnt.good sides,ok location,it is very quiet hotel,and very very strange designed.breakfast is so poor.almost nothing.but for one night it was ok for that money.not for longer stay.and i pleased for coffee but couldnt find waiter although hotel was empty.

Room Tip: our room was to dark,and we couldnt open the window,because there is no balcony,literally there is w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple