“Best location of any hotel in the city.”

Best Western Prima Hotel
Ranked #3 of 76 Varna B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“Best location of any hotel in the city.”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here for our week in Varna. It's so clean and modern compared to it's surroundings, it almost feels out of place!

Upon making our booking, they offered to send a taxi to pick us up from the airport, which we happily accepted. The guy was friendly with the little English he spoke, on time and didn't mess about; we quickly got used to the standard of driving in Varna! Quite funny really.

We arrived quite late and honestly quite tired. The guy on the reception desk who checked us in told us he could order a pizza online for us. Not our original plan, but it was oddly appealing as it was 9pm by now, and we didn't want our first walk around the city to be at night. He had it sent up to our room and we were set.

The next day, when we had our first walk around the city, we realised just how central we were to everything we had wanted to see: the Sea Garden (beautiful) is just around the corner, and in the other direction you have the city centre and theatre houses. We never had to walk far to anything!

The hotel itself? Continental breakfast was included for free. They can be a bit hit and miss, depending on where you go, and this one was nothing special. Perfectly edible though, no complaints.

The staff were always pleasant, and helpful if we needed directions.

The room, like the rest of the hotel, was very clean, almost minimalist in it's tidiness, and we felt it was great value for such a low price. Shower worked a treat, albeit a very slow leak of water onto the bathroom floor was slightly annoying, and they had those 'energy-saving' light bulbs in, so it was pretty dim in there most of the time.

Varna feels very much like it is still it's own city - it hasn't succumbed to becoming centred around tourism. That said, the view outside our window was of a normal street with people washing their cars, walking into town, etc. Views don't have to be 'picturesque' to be memorable. I would rather have a view of life in the city than a hotel pool any day.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be in the centre of life in Varna. It's not unlike a Travelodge in the UK - no frills, but it does it's job perfectly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rob S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Whoever is giving poor reviews to this hotel, must not be realizing that this 3-star would pass for a 6-star in some countries like Italy, France.
Let's start with service. I booked a budget double room for two weeks at a cheap non-refundable rate (true, it was off season). My husband couldnt make it, I arranged to stay for one night at New Year's 2013, and to spread the rest of the stay within the months of January/February. Not only staff was helpful, but I was given big studios instead of the budget room.
There's every utility like air-con, minibar; coffee, tea and mineral water come complimentary every day.
Basically, they make sure that you'll come back.
Photos from two top-floor rooms I've stayed, will prove their cosiness.
I can safely say this is the best budget hotel I've stayed, in Bulgaria at least.
Hotel is located right across the sea garden and the beach, and within a few minutes of Varna top-centre and a picturesque square.
Wi-fi works fine at no charge.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Diana_C_74
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

No hotel parking. Must park on street and that's sometimes very difficult because or lack or street parking. Beds were the worst I've ever slept on. They are with springs and no pad on top. First room I had the drain connection under the bathroom sink blew off. We asked to be moved to another room with one bed rather than two and this mattress was worse! They did not provide adequate towels and when asking why the air conditioner didn't work the front desk told us it's because it's centrally controlled! It was hot one day and they kept the air on all day and into the night. When we asked front desk to shut off air they said, "my colleague told me you wanted it cold". Well at 11pm you don't need cold inside if it's cold outside. Additionally the shower attachment broke away from the braided line. Wow what an experience. Nice bathroom and nice decor but many negatives. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank AlexM739
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed three nights in early April and chose this hotel because of positive TripAdvisor reviews.
I agree, "it's a little gem of a place", in a great location close to the Sea Park and close to the central part of the city. Great value for the money! The rooms are large, clean, bright and comfortable. We appreciated the kettle in our room......love my cup of tea! The staff are professional and friendly.......had them translating Cyrillic for me so we could figure out the bus schedule. Buffet breakfast was filling.
A comment on previous negative remarks: The smokers went outside to smoke and we (both non-smokers) did not smell smoke in the hallways or room. The taxi that the front desk called for us when leaving did not overcharge. We were overcharged from the airport to the hotel on arriving - but that was our fault, not the hotel's.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Judy4Joe
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Being in Varna in the winter, has its advantages, as we got an unbelievable deal on our stay. The hotel is a little gem of a place, located in a residential, quiet street, just off the central part of the city and accross the street from the main park of Varna. Very clean, no frills decor, functional bathroom, great service and boutique feel. Would love to experience Varna in the summer and would stay here for sure.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank mdeliyski
LA
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I booked with Booking.com at a sale rate of of 34.23 leva per night for 4 nights for an economy single room with breakfast. I had some concerns about the economy room as it was described as being on the first floor by the front desk. In fact this was an advantage as I avoided the elevator and the room didn't seem in any way economy to me and it was not a noisy location. I would be hard pressed to think of anything negative to say about the hotel or the staff. The location is a little hard to find at first so come prepared with directions from the hotel. The area is a plus as it is residential but very close to the beach and park and the center and there is a very good Italian restaurant next store. I haven't stayed at a better hotel in Bulgaria even when paying considerably more.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank fehlow
Europe
Reviewed 3 October 2012

very good place, and hotel. In downtown this hotel totally renovated is a good place for staying.
double room with great with nice decoration and climatisation.
breakfast was adequate, best for my others stay in Bulgaria. buffet breakfast is good
professionnal staff.