“Great position”

Am Ring Hotel
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Sibiu
“Great position”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

It is perfectly located in the Big Square in Sibiu .
I liked the furniture and the interior design details that bring you back to the XIX th century .
We chose a room with white furniture which was cosy and nice .
The only flaw I can think of is the fact that when you shower the floor was full of water (because the door of the shower cabin did not glide perfectly I guess ).
The staff is nice and helpful. We asked for some opinions regarding some restaurants and they were happy to guide us .
They try to give you the atmosphere of old Sibiu and they succeed in some ways but I would definitely change the reception and and make a desk upstairs inside the hotel...my opinion

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank UrzicaAnda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bucharest
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Located right on Piata Mare square, provides easy access to main city square. Yet, you might find parking a little bit difficult.

The rooms are separated from the reception by a passing hallway - might look strange.

Rooms are large, but with outdated furniture and hard mattresses. Provides free wifi. Rooms are equipped with large tv but with bad reception signal.

The breakfast is served in a cafe bar room, which might be annoying if you are a nonsmoker.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived as a group, so I will write about 4 rooms in the same time.

1. Didn't have any toilet paper
2. Didn't have any kind of soap just an already wet shower cap :)
3. The water was floating in the bathroom after a shower (without soap but with a very nice shower cap)
4. In some rooms there wasn't any kind of heating (in november it was a problem)
5. Not all the lights were functioning, you could barely see anything in the bathroom (they put energy saving light like at my grandma's house)

At breakfast (you might want to sit down):

1.nobody told us the breakfast wasn't included, they ran after us twice with the bill in front of their clients at the terrase (we had bags and all in our hands) who tried to have a great time in front of the hotel;
2. The waitress was such a dummy girl... didn't even know what her name was; we had a hard time in getting along especially when we had to pick the flavor of the juice from the fridge (she didn't bring us the fresh juice she promised at the beginning)
3. The others hired in the restaurant were making fun of this waitress outloud, it was clear she was new but have I needed to know this detail as a client?
4. We asked for the bill (we ordered other stuff besides the breakfast we thought it was included) at least 4 times, 4 different persons. After 20 minutes the bills arrived (didn't even notice the breakfast bill below the other one)

Shall I say more about this hotel?
I could hardly enjoy the beautiful view from my room because I was feeling so bad being part of this comunist hotel system. It felt like nobody cared that we wanted to feel good in Sibiu.
Sorry guys, that's the whole truth and I didn't write everything down...

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dallamocska

Travellers are raving about these Sibiu hotels

Brussels
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights in June 2013.

Excellent location on one of the main squares of the centre.

Reception staff speaks good English and are helpful (eg. printing of tickets, provide information on city). However they seem to leave their post quite often and for long periods. Upon my arrival (Thursday 4pm) as well as upon my departure (Sunday 8am) I had to wait at least 15 minutes for someone to show up.

No elevator available.

Obtained a beautifully furnished room(207) with a very stylish bathroom. Airconditioning available. Two floors lower is a bar-terrace but it did not cause noise problems.

Rooms facing the square may be noisy on hot summer evenings and nights.

Wifi is provided free and quality is very good.

Breakfast is not included in the room price and I have not tested it. Peculiarity is that breakfast starts only at 9 am on Saturdays and Sundays.

263 RON (58€) a night is not a low price for Romanian standards, but given the quality of the room and the location it seems good value to me.

Room Tip: rooms on the front (facing the square) are most probably noisy on hot summer evenings and nights.
Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,002 helpful votes
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is a truly beautiful hotel if you love old architecture and decorations. The furniture and wall decorations were exquisitely beautiful. I will add photos here rather than trying to describe details.
We were on the second floor and we had a view of the Grand plaza from our window, which was very pleasing. If it got loud we could always close the window and hear nothing of what was going on out there. From the corridor we could see lovely reddish tiled roofs of nearby buildings. Large stare cases had red carpeting giving the hotel a majestic look. Very large wall paintings all over the hotel were truly tastefully done.
The hotel had an outdoor /indoor restaurant and a bar. We did not eat there, but had a drink at the bar. As can be expected there was quite a bit of smoking in the late evening. It was, however, great to have a separate nonsmoking area for breakfast close to the reception. Breakfast was included in the price and there were three choices. There was also a buffet for which you had to pay extra.
The internet was accessible free of charge through a cable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They would call a taxi for you anytime of the day and the taxis came very close to the hotel although it was in a pedestrian area. There was a good room service and everything was neat and clean.
Possible negative issues:
Because it was very old hotel, the bathroom had bit of a problem with water overflowing on to the floor after a shower. However, the shower itself was great, always reliable with hot water. There also was no elevator. So, if you have trouble climbing stairs and cannot get a room on the first floor (which also required climbing a set of stairs), this is not the place for you. The beds were rather small, but not too bad. I am, however, not sure if a heavy person will be very comfortable on these beds.
All in all, I found the hotel to be great and recommend it to anyone who would like to experience a bit of Sibiu’s past.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunnyW358
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Super cute. Staff were excellent and friendly. Rooms are great.
I do hate being told my review must be 200 characters.. My keyboard is too small for that :(
Fffggdsffsgfdugfyufxdwwfggsefgfdtytsdfggffccghgffdssdfgghfgghhtd

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank YvonneLynnK
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 2 May 2013

A nice fin-de-siécle hotel, in a really enviable position in one of the three main squares of the beautiful town of Sibiu.
Too bad that the rooms are really, really hot (it was the end of April, with 28 degrees outside, and the heating system was working all night long), and the bed is one of the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in (it kept squeaking at every movement and the mattress was terribly thin).
Wouldn't suggest.