“Very Good for what You pay for” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambra Pension

Ambra Pension
Ranked #112 of 139 Brasov B&B and Inns
Sandy, United Kingdom
“Very Good for what You pay for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We booked Ambra on a site called Airbnb where you rent out private people's places, as well as hostel and hotel rooms. Arrival at Ambra was somewhat strange, a nice man, with not a lot of enthusiasm, but still nice checked us in very quickly. The room was very clean, and quite functional, especially considering we only spent £25/ night. Ambra is a 15 minute walk away from the centre, the so called strada republica. We would stay here again- it is definately very good value for money!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Budget hotel with a good location, easy to get to city centre, but definite upgrading requirements needed. Moldy bathroom, stained pillows, takes some getting use to the keys for room door and bathroom door, and loft bedrooms short-sheeted and towels never replaced over 3 day stay. Not up to North American standards but wasn't sure what to expect for first time in Romania.

Room Tip: Pick a suite for the extra room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Brasov hotels

glasgow, scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Comfort Suite for 5 nights, and it was absolutely perfect for what we wanted, considering the amazing price we got it for. Lush little apartment style room, with fancy upstairs wood based bedroom (but watch out for those support beams!). Comfy couches and seats too for after those long walks or just lazy days.
You are only about 10/15 minute walk from the main square, but with so many beautiful sites and old streets just off it, you can walk for miles/hours, then remember that you still have to walk back out of town again.
The cleaning standards weren't up to much. There were 2 glasses in the room, which were both filthy on arrival. Layers of dust everywhere, the bed only made once and the towels were never replaced our whole stay. And for a 5 night stay, that's a little bit long to expect anyone to reuse towels. Thankfully we were travelling a lot, so had our own with us, but the room's towels were never replaced even after days of being left in the bathroom. So would recommend bringing a spare like we did to avoid that issue. Also, very strange, but barely a single lamp in the room worked. Not exactly the end of the world, just another indicator than maintenance/cleaning not high on the agenda.
Although it is apartment-like, there is no cooking facilities, so we ate out for most meals, and there was a restaurant area at the reception, so this was not an issue. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room though, so we were reliant on the restaurant for this.
For the foodies...the restaurant area food was delicious for what it was, but it was very basic. The first evening we ate in, everything we picked from the menu was unavailable. We were recommended alternatives which were basically a big slab of grilled chicken and chips (no sauces or sides available), and pasta in a very basic cream sauce. Again tasty, but certainly not close to what we ordered so a little disappointing for our first night in, especially when we were still asked to pay the original prices for what we had picked.
So all in all, exceptional value for the money spent, with room for improvement on basic standards, but we would definitely stay here again. The staff appeared a little stand offish at first, but after a day or 2 we all warmed to each other and they were very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Pros:
Balcony
Close to the center- 10 minutes
Friendly owners
Quick check in
Free wi fi
Good price
Parking

Cons:
Bathroom moldy - needs cleaning
Shower has no door so the water runs out
Not enough electricity sockets
Very cold in the room

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family for 3 nights: my boyfriend and I, in the mansard, and my mother and father in a room at the first floor. The rooms are clean and every morning somebody came in the room to clean it, but there are things that do not work as they should. In the bathroom from the mansard there was a smell of canal and the sink was clogged (not entirely, but the water didn't drain very easily). But it seems that these happened only in our bathroom, in my parents bathroom it was quite OK. But instead, they had some problems with the TV remote and with the hair dryer. What was nice it was the window from the mansard( you could see the stars and the moon at night which was very relaxing) and in my parents room there was a balcony. All in all, it was nice for the price we paid, but they should repair and improve some things.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Targu Mures Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was there last year. It was very good and this pension will be my first option if I go in Brasov. The pension not have included breakfast but this is not a problem. Maybe they will put in a future. Bye

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Brasov, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I've been here before moving to Brasov and this was the place where I fell in love with this beautiful city. At first I booked my stay at another hotel but they were full so they suggested me that I should book a room here. It was a bit more expensive then, but now I see it is a lot cheaper and you can benefit from different offers. It is located on a very quiet street so if you are looking for a place to stay without being bothered by traffic or too much noise, this is surely an amazing place. When it comes to the rooms, I found mine to be very clean. The bathroom was also extremely clean and this is an aspect I always take good interest in. I loved the receptionist, she was this nice woman, extremely pleasant to talk to and very polite.

Ambra Pension is not very far away from the city center and if you like walking I guess it’s a 25 minutes walk. What I love about it is the fact that it’s not packed with tourists, although I came in a very busy weekend(at the beginning of August). You could also grab a cab if you are in a hurry but I loved admiring the old buildings on the quiet Long Street. They even had a cute balcony where you could hang out in the evening or grab a coffee in the morning. I had a great time then in Brasov and this little cozy place with its nice small, but clean rooms certainly added to my pleasant experience. Unfortunately, I only stayed for two days.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business