“Feeling "cheated" and disrespected”
Review of Hotel Cherica

Ranked #1 of 96 Hotels in Constanta
Reviewed 10 September 2013

For the past 2 years I have been visiting Cherica hotel (at least once every month) due to professional commitments. The hotel (also according to my previous review) is the best in Constanta, however after so many stays in the hotel I must say that the management does not respect their regulars customers as much as they claim they do. Lately I have been trying to reserve a room at the hotel but instead of being told that there are no good rooms available, the hotel has offered to accommodate me in their worst room (that is room 18) in their premises: an inconveniently small twin bed room, which suffers from intolerant bad smells (a combination of smoke and sewage smell) and, to my surprise, as equally expensive as the rest of the clearly superior deluxe mini-suites. What adds to such unprofessional behaviour is the fact that, although the hotel staff denies me a proper room, I can still find one through the various websites for the same period. Therefore I have come to the decision not to visit Cherica again. Besides, the hotel does not offer much in terms of facilities (lack of conference rooms, gym, proper area for breakfast etc).

Room Tip: Avoid room 18!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank Eleni_gak
Stefan-Gogota, General Manager at Hotel Cherica, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Mrs. Gaki,

First of all, I would like to clarify that the reservation for August was made for only one person: Mr. Dimitriadis.

We are aware that Room 18, a room with two separate beds, is not a suitable room for a couple, but the reservation was made for only one person: Mr. Dimitriadis; nobody informed us that you, Mrs. Gaki, will come with him.
So, we cannot be held responsible for this situation, mainly because Mr. Dimitriadis was announced that this is the only available room and HE ACEPTED.

Very often, during the last years Mr. Dimitriadis came accompanied by you, even if the reservations were made for a single room, and we usually did not charge you extra.

We are happy that often we could make exceptions for you, and we are not expecting any thanks, but please, ask for Mr. Dimitriadis regarding the conditions of this reservation before sending your complaint.

Last but not least, this room was only available for Mr. Dimitriadis reservation. Of course if we have had another one, we would have given it certainly to him.

Regards from Constanza

Stefan Gogota

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Cherica is definitely very well located with just a few steps from the beach. The staff is really friendly and speaking good English.
The room is not small with the sitting area and the bedroom, yet not sure if you can call it 'Deluxe Suite'.
We really liked the toiletries ( shower gel, shampoo, body lotion). Breakfast is also not bad and more than enough even though you have to leave the building and go next door to a cafe.
Internet connection via wifi free of charge as well as the large choice of TV channels are available in case you get bored in the evenings.

On the downsides, I'm not sure if in other countries such price would need to be paid for such standard as e.g. the decor of the room is not so modern, beds are narrow and rather hard. Also it is interesting that even though the rooms are made up everyday, the beds are not made and the toiletries are not filled up. In the cafe where breakfast is served people smoke and the staff are rather indifferent if not rude- still it's not part of the hotel.
All in all, I will recommend this hotel but for the price we paid, I am not sure we really got the Deluxe Suite and if so.. then it as much as you can expect there..

Room Tip: not sure if available but try to get a room with at least partial sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marek W

Dear Marek,

We would like to thank you personally for taking the time to share your experience and your impression of our hotel on the TripAdvisor public website. We understand your time is valuable and it means a lot to us when our guests provide us with feedback.

I was glad to read that there were many aspects of hotel Cherica that you enjoyed; however I was sorry to note that you left Constanta without the feeling of a perfect stay due to the fact that you found our accommodation, restaurant and bar prices too high.

Concerning the breakfast, we were facing some challenges due to the combined smoking and non-smoking areas in the same building due to the fact that in Romania smoking is not prohibited in restaurants/bars. However the graceful result based on a fresh and variate ,,A la Carte" breakfast instead of an open buffet and the possibility of serving it in the room, usually compensates for the few shortcomings in the eyes of most of our guests.

Thank you also for mentioning that not all our services met your expectation. We admit there is always space for improvement and that we can benefit from our guests’ feedback.

Unfortunately, you were accommodated in a Deluxe Suite with twin beds (city view); Also we offer Deluxe Suites with partial sea view with a private Suite Bedroom & Living room area: queen-size bed and lot of facilities like partially mini bar included in the room rate, free of charge high speed WI-FI & cable Internet access, freshly cut flowers placed in your room, spacious bathrooms with bath tube, bathrobes, slippers, 8 cotton towels, beach towels, scale, hair dryer, make up mirror etc. Room size is up to 47 sq m

Otherwise, please be assured that we have taken good notes of your comments.

I sincerely hope that you will grant us another opportunity to welcome you back at hotel Cherica any time in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed here for two nights while diving in Constanta. It's a haven of refined taste and classiness in a city a bit lacking in those traits (old City and heaving amusement arcade atmosphere of Mamania--so very glad I didn't stay there!).

The bellboy met my car and helped carry by bags up to the room. Note there is no elevator and the stairs up to reception and then up another flight of stairs to the rooms are steep, so this hotel is not suitable for those with impaired mobility.

Check in was very efficient, with a heartfelt we've been expecting you." Service is very good.

Rooms are very spacious, clean and modern with a masculine feel. Beige carpets and black wooden furniture. Good sized flat screen TV with hundreds of cable channels. Bathroom too is spacious and inlcudes a tub and even beach towels as the beach is right below the hotel. The only thing lacking is conditioner. Hairdryers are high speed. You get two free bottles of water (one still, one sparkling) from the minibar a day and there is free water available from large water cooled bottles in the corridor.

WIFI is lightening fast and they also have DSL cable connectors in the room for more secure connections. I had about 30 pages of business docuemnts I needed printed and they put it all in a nice folder at no charge.

They have a 7 day a week laundry service even though the laundry sheet says it's not available on Sunday. Prices are reasonable.

Breakfast is included in the room rate. It's an interesting system as you can have anything from the restaurant menu up to 40 Lei. However, that amount is carefully calculated so that you won't have to shell out cash for breakfast. As another reviewer noted, choices are heavy on the eggs and omelette dishes. This means they can keep serving breakfast until very later in the afternoon, but means they are short of cereals and yoghurts. I did get a fantastic fruit plate by ordering from the dessert portion of the menu though.

An excellent address.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank poleinahole1

Dear Madame,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Cherica for your visit to Constanta. I would like to thank you personally for taking the time to share your experience and your general impression of our Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found the Hotel building amazing and thank you for mentioning that you received an outstanding service from our staff. However we took a good note of your comments in relation to the lack of an elevator. We also want to thank you for your remarks in regards to the restaurant where breakfast is served.

We admit that our Hotel Cherica did not have an elevator until now; therefore we are planning to introduce one, hopefully starting from next year because as you can imagine installing such modern facilities in an old building is not without creating some challenges due to the physical restrictions.

We appreciate your feedback and I sincerely hope that you will grant us another opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Cherica should you travel to Constanta once more.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We first stayed at this hotel 4 yrs ago and we were expecting a decline in quality since.
However, we were nicely suprised to have saved all our info making checking fast and efficient.
The suite was spacious, elegant, comfortable, clean, with beautiful flowers at the windows...I just love love this hotel....It is close some of the best restaurants in town ( Irish Pub) and breakfast, included, is server at a cafe downstairs: great selection of drinks, food and good services.
Great job!!

Room Tip: the executive suite facind Irish pub
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Florina,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am so glad that you were impressed with the beauty, comfort, location of our historical building and the professional service offered to you by our staff, highlighting our team’s services which you have found particularly helpful and knowledgeable. It was nice to learn that you had a truly memorable experience in Constanta.

I will take great pleasure in sharing your compliments with the entire team.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at Cherica hotel.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. This is a boutique hotel with a small number of very nice rooms. It is very well located, only a few minutes from the beach and a few minutes taxi ride from the main station in Constanta. Rooms well very well furnished and clean, breakfast was included and two complimentary bottles of water provided every day.
Staff are very efficient, friendly and helpful. My only small suggestion would be that the restaurant perhaps includes some more cereal/yoghurt/fruits for breakfast as the menu has a lot of rich options, cooked items and some light options like croissant etc, but more choice of lighter options would be good. Still regardless of this small point I enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ChrisTC2000
Stefan-Gogota, General Manager at Hotel Cherica, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us.
I was delighted to read your feedback following your recent stay at the Chérica Hotel, and you enjoyed experience in our beautiful city Constanta.

I was so glad that you found our service met your expectations, and we are pleased that our high quality of room accommodation, our staff services provided to you, in room amenities and excellent city location delighted you.
I was delighted to passed this kind feedback on to the staff and ensure that their hard work is appreciated.

I do hope that you will come again in the near future in Constanta (Black Sea Coast) I am sure you will fund old Constanta city with ancient ruins and historical buildings which were being renovated and restorated along the touristic harbor Tomis.

Last but not least, Your comment regarding the more choice of lighter breakfast options was sent to our restaurant and now, these lighter products are already available on request.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Chérica Hotel, in the future,

My kindest regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Never been to Constanta before and the hotel is a jewel of the town.
I loved Romania, I enjoyed my stay at the Cherica,so classy and fine service,polite and english spoken. the hotel is not away from the sea,do not miss a walk and why not a bath!
the building is historical,from early 1900's,an so well mentained.
i recommend it for sure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FranzPittersen

Dear Mr. Pittersen,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Chérica Hotel
I am so glad that you were impressed with the beauty and the location of our historical building and the professional service offered to you by our staff, highlighting our team’s services which you have found particularly helpful and knowledgeable.

We are delighted that you found our property to be well-kept, restoredm attractive and welcoming.

Our front desk team works diligently to give personal attention to each guest. It is our goal to exceed our guests’ expectations during his stay.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at Chérica Hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hotel Cherica represents an amazing achievement in the hospitality industry of Romania. The feeling is of a true boutique hotel where quality and good taste is everywhere to be seen. It makes me tremendously happy to see old buildings being restored and brought back to life in their entire glory as, unfortunately, this is a rare occurrence in Romania and especially in Constanta where the state of the old town brings you to tears. The location of the hotel is very convenient close to the water front and the old town and despite being located on a busy street corner, the sound insulation is very good and you can have a sound sleep. Another pleasant surprise was the bar and restaurant of the hotel located in a inner yard within the hotel premises. Unfortunately, we used the restaurant only for breakfast but it looks like a great choice for a nice quality meal with a very rich menu. Also, great selection of local and foreign wines, beers and spirits. One of the few places where you can actually see the wines displayed in special cooling cabinets within the restaurant... Very nice touch! :)
Highly recommended place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Doron S

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at Hotel Chérica !
I was delighted to receive your note, and was especially pleased to read your kind words about our hotel.
I am so glad that you were impressed with the beauty and the location of our historical building.
Our wish is to revive the tradition of the 30’s with his bohemian lifestyle with the unique environment that we continue to reconstitute.
I am very proud of our Mediterranean restaurant situated at the ground floor of the Cherica building.They are always pleased to receive such kind comments as yours. It was nice to learn that they greatly contributed to a truly memorable experience in Constanta.
I will take great pleasure in sharing your compliments with all of them.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at Chérica. You are always welcome to stay with us when your travels bring you this way.

Best regards,