“Driving was terrible”

Best Egypt Shore Excursions
Ranked #19 of 26 Tours in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: Best offers for any sea cruisers coming to Egypt
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Seongnam, South Korea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Driving was terrible”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

So we were in Cairo on 22-23 November. Hussain picked us up on time at the port and away we went (excessively fast). The driver was racing with another driver on the way to Cairo. I understand that laws are not followed and driving is fast but I have traveled around the world and have seen some bad driving, but this was ridiculous. My life as well as 6 others were on the line and the driver drove like it was a game. The pyramids were awesome and Hussain did a really good job taking us around. As with other posts, bring small currency because everybody wants a tip and I ended up tipping our camel guy 10 euro because that is all I had (he did do a great job in taking pictures). Hussain took us to the Sphinx, the local market and other places off the beaten path and it was great. He helped us out with purchases as well. One thing I wasn't so enjoyous about was going to all the shops. I would tend to believe that there is some type of commission back when a tourist buys cartouches, paper, shirts etc., The Cataract Resort that we stayed in was pretty good (bring bug spray) as the mosquitoes were terrible (in our room). We also had problem with our bathroom floor flooding (during our showers). The other people that were with us did not have any problems so maybe it was just our room. The Nile River cruise is really not worth it (save your money). We got there around 6:30pm, boat didn't leave until 8pm. I thought it was going to be the 7 of us..... NOOOO, more like 237 of us. Once the boat left, you couldn't see anything outside as it was DARK. The belly dancer?? We were sat so far away in the corner that we couldn't even see the show, and by that time I was exhausted anyway. After the so so meal, I rested my head back on the glass and just closed my eyes hoping the agony would end.
The next day, MUSEUM, Hussain became our personal tour guide highlighting the most famous artifacts. Hussain is very knowledgeable. Unfortunately, I thought we were going to go to the museum, be let loose and then told when to be back outside. NOOO, after an hour or so, I told Hussain that we wanted to go look by ourselves (he had no problem with that), but he told us we only had 30 minutes before we needed to be back outside. I was !@#$$%^^&&&. From the museum he took us to a 100% Egyptian cotton shirt company so we could shop... I could of cared less about the shop, as well as the other people in the group. We wanted more time in the museum (so if you think you are going to get a lot of time in the museum, you are mistaken). It would take days for you to really see everything. After the shirt shopping, Hussain left us at the whim of the driver to get us back to Alexandria. Hussain had told us the driver didn't sleep all night, so I was watching him like a hawk to make sure that we didn't die on the way back, and it was more crazy driving back to the port. I was so happy to get back and put my feet on firma terra. Nonetheless, I got out, collected my suitcase and promptly left. Would I recommend this tour to people? Yes, but you need to ask specific questions and have a specific itinerary. Would I recommend Hussain? Yes, definitely, he took care of us and was very knowledgeable. The driver?? Not a chance.

6 Thank brianpoj

Corlette, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A day in Alexandria”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We only had a day and after reading the reviews here did not hesitate to contact Best Egypt Tours who greeted us at the train station, provided the lovely Amira as our guide for the day and a driver Islam who was fantastic negotiating the hazardous traffic and drove us to Cairo airport when we left. A great experience overall.

7 Thank Beverly B
Auckland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Best Egypt Shore Excursions were selected for our Egypt excursions because they rated the best in Egypt. from our experience we struggled to see how they got that rating. We did two tours with them, one in Alexandria and one in Cairo and the pyramids. No problems with the Alexandria tour but disappointed with the Cairo tour. Our guide Ali knew the area but was not great at communicating. A key example was with tipping. Because we knew we had to pay by cash we took enough money for the tour and to tip the driver and guide but found out on the tour we had to tip camel drivers, restaurant staff and attraction guides that had been paid for in our excursion fees. This was embarrassing as we had not been given prior notice and did not want to carry too much cash for security reasons. Ali showed a lack
of appreciation to our situation. We would have been happy to tip if we had known in advance. The vehicle was also too small for a six hour round trip. By comparison the Alexandria vehicle and staff were great.
I think the real problem is that this tour company contracts our to independent tour guides so you get uneven service levels. Be aware.

2 Thank GattsAuckland
Rochdale, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Trip to Pyramids & Egyptian Museum”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We have just returned from a cruise, and whilst there we took our arranged trip to the Pyramids & Egyptian Museum on our tour we booked with Best of Egypt before we left the U.K. On Arrival outside the port of Alexandria at 06.40 a.m. our tour guide, Ali, was waiting for us. He took us to our air-conditioned mini-bus, where we met our excellent driver. Ali stayed with us throughout our full day, his excellent knowledge of all the sites and museum was very much appreciated. We found the Best of Egypt to be an excellent company, we had no problems whatsoever, and would thoroughly recommend them to any future visits to Egypt. Thanks again to Best of Egypt for a most enjoyable day.
Roy & Jean Dale

Visited October 2011
10 Thank Roy D
Parque da Floresta
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Well organised trip with good guide”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Best Egypt did us proud. The tour bus provided was comfortable, clean and on time.
Our guide Moustafa Yehia Sanad was very knowlegeable, most helpful and took good care of our .various requests. In every way a good experience.

Visited October 2011