“Fantastic hotel”

Steigenberger Cecil Hotel
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I spent the last weekend at the Cecil hotel Alexandria and as always exceeded my expectations. The sea view from my room in the 2nd floor is really awesome and it gets better on higher level , in general all the rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished .
food and service staff are excellent , front office team are so cooperative and friendly , housekeeping provided me with all me needs.
I will defiantly chose this hotel for my next stay in Alexandria .

Room Tip: The breakfast is not to be missed
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Nabil_Kahil, General Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Cecil for your stay at Alexandria .

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent visit.

To receive such praise from our guest is very gratifying and knowing that you enjoyed so much the facilities, view and service is a reward in itself.

Your positive feedback has been shared with the team, which will encourage them to continue their efforts in this direction.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed at Cecil during my business trip to Alexandria , just one night and enjoyed it so much . It is a real historical hotel located in the heart of the city beside all places of interest ,monuments , shopping area and also Alexandria library is just 15 minutes walking .
Breakfast is nice , staff are friendly.

Room Tip: High floor , sea view even if you will pay more
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear our valued Guest,

Thank you for the positive points you mentioned and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Horrible hotel, horrible inconsistent service, restaurant staff poorly trained, very poor English skills of the staff, "free" wifi in the lobby rarely worked, smoking allowed everywhere, disco in the lobby with the music soooo loud that i could hear and feel it in my room two stories away, I had to ask three times flor basic bathroom items (towels, bathrobe, slippers, shampoo).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Nighat B

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Alexandria Cecil. I am sorry that your experience in our hotel did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address these points and prevent future occurrence.

Once again thank you, and It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We came here and spent just one night, The rooms are OK.
The place has more than faded charm that is for sure. Nothing seemed to add up or work.
There is a guard on the door, so when you come in you go through the metal detector, but quite often the guard will open up a side door and let you in, so what it the point of the detector????
The staff can be seen just standing in groups talking (not best thing to do?) trying to get served took an age.
The worse thing was the fact there are two lifts, we went to the restaurant on the top floor, looking inside we didn't eat here, on the way down there were two staff already in the lift (remember this was the top floor) they stayed in the lift and we got in. once we reached the ground floor they staff pushed past us to get out.
As guests we should get out first surly????
I would recommend that Sofitel go and have a look here. While both the old cataract (Aswan) and the winter place (Luxor) are stunning this place needs work

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobE_AdamD

Dear valued Guest,

Bonjour, I would like to thank you most sincerely sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Alexandria Cecil with other guests on Trip advisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, and please rest assure that I will personally take a corrective action concerning the guard who lets the guests pass in without passing via the detector, the staff side talking and their attitude while being in the same elevator with guests.

Once again please accept my apology, looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

This hotel appears to belong to a bygone era, but has the comforts of today. The staff a lovely, very helpful, english is not their first language but they try to please.
Buffet breakfast was aa great way to start the day, they had a wide variety of carbohydrates, egyptian breakfast and the obligatory omelette maker.
Dinner menu was international, but perhaps made by people who have not left the country, but we didnt leave hungry.
The biggest downside was no Wi Fi in the room, only in the lobby and i never got my ipad to pick it up, although the iphones did.
Traffic noise and horns are also a concern, but the air conditioner and double glazing madefor a good sleep...ear plugs from the plane helped my husband.
Expensive, but I am happy we stayed.

Room Tip: Sea view is an option, with double doors and a wee balcony, about 18 inches deep...great to take pho...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear our valued Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you concerning the WIFI.

Once again please accept our apology, looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

The Cecil is Alexandria's "grand old hotel". It is very well situated on the waterfront corniche, also looking onto a large public square. Although this does mean a bit of traffic noise, there is efficient double glazing and the views outweigh any minor noise inconvenience. "Slightly faded elegance" is perhaps a bit unfair, because this hotel still has significant style and great charm, unaffected by ultramodern upgrading. Its decor is a mixture of Edwardain and the beginnings of Art Deco. Rooms, which have balconies, and bathrooms are very spacious and well-equipped, again a bit old fashioed in appearance, but very attractive. The public spaces are also very spacious and there is a wonderful double caged lift in the marble stairwell. The hotel staff are charming, attentive and very efficient staff - and i must highlight the excellent and very cheap laundry service.. The garden-style restaurant provides tasty fresh tasting food, with no worries over hygiene. Breakfasts are particularly well prepared.

Highlight is OF charm and the staff
a large publuc square, in the cntre of Alexandria

Room Tip: A corner room, giving windowson two walls would be good!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear valued Guest

Bonjour , We do appreciate sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Alexandria Cecil with other guests on Trip advisor. I'm sure fellow travelers will find your tips and pointers very useful whilst planning their trip.

Thank you for the positive comments you mentioned and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed in the hotel back when I was a little girl accompanied by my family, and I revisited recently with my fiance and group of friends and I have to say that it's still as charming as it was. The rooms have to be the best aspect, very luxurious and elegant. I have only stayed for two days and had only breakfast there, it was okay but with limited variety. Overall it was a very good stay but I believe the one thing that bugged me is how small the hotel was, but again that is how the building was designed. They can't help it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Nabil_Kahil, Manager at Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Dear Ms. Fadwa,

I am Glad that you enjoyed your stay, It is always our great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you one again at Sofitel Alexandria Cecil in the very near future.