“Beautiful Scenery”
Review of Union Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alexandria
Union Hotel
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 11 March 2010

The Union Hotel is facing the Mediterranean Sea. I have never felt so relaxed at this hotel. Just looking at the beautiful scene it makes all your worries go away. It is very clean and the workers keep it well maintained. The employees are very polite and helpful. It is cheap in price for being perfect. You also get breakfast. Union Hotel is the hotel I will always stay in Alexandria.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShaelyFoston_Canada
There are newer reviews for Union Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2010

The price (105LE) for a double room was ok by Alexandrian standards (but still the second most expensive hotel we stayed at in 3 months in Egypt) but the big problem was the fact that you had to run the hot water for between 10 and 20 minutes before it ran hot - and they didnt seem to think this was a problem in a country which is 95%desert! The service at breakfast was also painfully slow - for example, everybody asked for salt with their boiled eggs and this had to be brought out and taken back individually each time - I think they only had one salt pot! But if you have to stay in Alexandria, it is not a bad option for a few days - a lot better than the neighbouring Crillon who tried to alter the terms of our telephone booking and laughed at us when we queried this. We didn't stay!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2010

The hotel has a great location with incredible views of the harbor. The room and bathrooms were clean. The problem was that they got some good reviews in guidebooks and I think it went to their head! At one point my husband asked the woman behind the front desk if the hotel offered laundry service, they didn't, so he asked if there was a laundry close by where we could drop off our clothes. She said she did not know and to ask the porters. (She obviously thought it was beneath her to know about laundries)! The porters were great and worked hard, though. Overall, nice budget hotel in good location, but I think the service has slipped some. I'm sure there are other hotel in Alex with better service. Also, there was no free breakfast like most hotels in Egypt.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2010

If you get a balcony room, great sweeping views of the med sea. But bring ear plugs as it's a bit noisy at night. Rooms are pretty small with hard beds. Satellight TV a nice change. Breakfast is bread, croisant, jam and a egg, and tea. Rates quoted and published on their walls are a higher when you get there. Good location to access the city and its attractions, hardly any places to eat in the area. Take a horse and carriage ride if you can. Becareful of crossing the busy road outfront.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed here based on Lonely Planet review and was really disappointed (though LP was spot on in its assessment). Service was subpar, and the rooms, though spacious and slightly renovated, always left me with a feeling of being unclean. Don't even get me started on the bathroom, probably the worst thing about the whole place. Why would a place put mental institution lighting in its bathrooms? Felt like I was in a horror/slasher movie.

Worst part was that we were ripped off with the laundry. We had some laundry sent out (and as always, they don't tell you what it will cost and will just bill you when your clothes return). It cost 120 Egyptian pounds (about $22 US dollars to do what is comparable to a small load). BF didn't think much of it and paid the guy (the bell man) though if he would've told me about it earlier, I would've complained to reception (same thing happened to me in Turkey and the hotel manager called the laundry to find that I was correct, my bill was 20 lira, not 40 lira as the girl was trying to bill me, but I digress....). We had a larger load done in Aswan and that came out to 36 Egyptian pounds (about $6.55), so makes you think that bell man in Alexandria was pocketing a good amount of laundry cash.

Anyway, I hate dishonesty, dirty rooms, and sterile/creepy bathrooms. Despite the spectacular view from the lobby area, I just couldn't get past those things at the Union Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I spent 3 nights at the Union. It's certainly very cheap and the location, overlooking the mediterranean is good (though, you do get a lot of noise from the street below).
-Breakfast is okay, with a fresh croissant.
-The rooms are fine and did have a little balcony (as well as Satellite TV). The bathroom was pretty dingy, though.
-Despite asking for our room to be cleaned, nobody did anything about it for the duration of the stay. We also had to ask for toilet paper/soap at the beginning of the stay

Can't complain too much, at the price you're paying, Union is a relatively decent place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank arcadefire84
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Entrance is on a side street from the Corniche --- our double bedded room had a balcony over looking the Corniche and the Eastern Harbour, the room was clean and although the Corniche was below, it was quite at night with the balcony doors closed... Great location, and the view from the breakfast area in Reception was a stunning start to our days in Alexandria. The staff were very friendly and when we reported a problem with our shower they ensured it was fixed quickly for us. Great value for the price paid and if back in Alexandria we will definetely stay again. This was a great hotel to start our Egyptian tour in and would recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple