“FIVE STARS ALL THE WAY - EXCELLENT”

Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I arrived in Sousse on Wednesday 9th October and after eventually getting out of the airport I was met by a very well dressed driver from the Movenpick Hotel. He welcomed me to Sousse and then helped me with my luggage to the awaiting car.

The car was a very nice spacious BMW, with good air-conditioning and water was also supplied.

The journey from the airport to the resort of Sousse takes around 20 minutes, and it was a pleasant drive through various parts the Countryside.

The car then pulled up at the hotel`s rather grand entrance (The façade always reminds me a little of the front of Karnak Temple in Luxor) and out I got. I made my way up the stairs to the entrance and was warmly greeted again by the concierge. I, having visited this hotel previously then made my way to the reception.

Again the greeting was extremely friendly and the check in process began. I have to say all this was made very easy by the super team behind the reception desk. The staff are immaculate and the spacious reception area works smoothly. I was at reception less than 3 minutes.

I was then asked to take a seat whilst they copied my passport and made my way to one of the comfortable areas in the main lobby. I had no sooner sat down when I was approached with a refreshing face cloth and a rather welcome soft drink.

The air-conditioning in the main lobby works a treat, and you really do appreciate this when you come in form the heat and the humidity.

A few minutes later I was approached by a charming lady from guest relations and escorted to my room. As I mentioned, I have previously stayed in this hotel and knew my way around but I thought this was a nice touch.

I had booked a Junior Suite, Suite number 6180, well, when I was shown into the room it was even better than I had hoped for. On entering I had a guest toilet on the left hand side, and a spacious lobby/entrance hall with side table and lamp. Passing through this area you then entered the sitting room, again vary spacious with a large sofa, 2 armchairs, side tables, coffee table, mini bar, huge wall mounted Samsung TV and again various lamps dotted around the room.

The view of the sea was spectacular from the double glass doors that opened onto a balcony which had a table and 2 chairs.

I was then shown the rest of the Suite, as you entered the bedroom there was a very modern en-suite bath/shower room, all very well fitted out. The shower and shower head were the biggest I have had in any hotel and this was a real treat to use when I woke in the morning.

They also provided luxury bath robes, slippers, and a selection of spa products such as shower gels, shampoo and conditioners as well as various soaps and bath salts.

There is a shaver / toothbrush adaptor, a nice magnifying mirror and all in all I thought this was a nicely laid out en-suite.

The bedroom again was very spacious and had ample storage for all my clothes. I did however ask for another 12 coat hangers and they arrived within moments.

There is a safe in the room which I made use off and to my surprise another even larger balcony, with table and chairs and 2 large sun loungers, and again a wall mounted Samsung TV.

I thanked the lady from guest relations and she had no sooner left when my luggage arrived. I unpacked, then settled down on the balcony looking over the sea with a soft drink.

I spend a lot of time in my room and decided there was only one thing missing - flowers or plants, so I decided to call guest relations and order some. This was all made very easy, I was asked what I wanted to spend, and hey presto - the flowers arrived. Now I was happy and the room looked even more homely now.

If you like sunbathing then you are in for a treat, the beach is a delight with good sun loungers and umbrellas and towels are supplied by showing your pool card you get on arrival.

The hotel has various swimming pools, sea water, fresh water, and spa pool which can be accessed by swimming out from the inside of the spa. They also have Jacuzzis and a great many sun loungers around the various pools so you wont have to fight to get a place.

Drinks service is available both on the beach and around the many pools, so if you fancy a drink just give one of the staff a polite wave.

The spa I mention is again very nice. They offer various treatments and its a place in which to relax and spend a few hours as the staff pamper you. Sometimes it is good just to get away form it all and relax - well, this is certainly the place to do this.

I had lunch a few times in the round beach front restaurant and I have to say the service could not have been better. The food was fresh and plentiful, in fact too plentiful at times! Amongst my favourites were the four cheese pasta and the burgers - all washed down with a cool beer.

They also give you a free little meze to start with, usually a basket of fresh bread, tuna, olives and the hot sauce harissa that is traditional in Tunisia.

I took breakfast both in the main dining room and in the Suite, both were great, but I have to admit, having breakfast in the room looking over the Mediterranean was a real treat.

I was a tad confused one morning though as I had ordered a hot breakfast and when the trolley arrived and was set up facing the sea all I could see was orange juice, croissants, bread and rolls, the fruit platter, coffee and hot milk, butter and preserves and a red rose in a vase - how nice, but where I asked the waiter was my hot food?

He cheekily smiled and lifted the crisp white table cover to produce form a small heated oven under the trolley table a perfectly plated piping hot cooked breakfast. Now I have to say this was a lovely touch as sometimes room service breakfast can be cold when you get it - not surprising really, given the distance they have to travel sometimes. But not at the Movenpick - they have thought of everything.

I also took drinks in the lobby bar and the mezzanine cocktail bar up the spiral staircase and was again impressed by the friendliness of the staff. I remembered the barman, who also recognised me, as he had previously worked in the Villa the last time I was there. Most nights there is music of some kind in the grand lobby and this makes for a very nice atmosphere indeed.

Now to the Villa, a rather grand addition to the Movenpick accessible form either inside or outside the hotel. This in my opinion is a real treat to visit, there are several rooms that make up the Villa, but my favourites are the alabaster bar and the restaurant.

I had one of the best mojitos I have ever had in this bar, actually I had 2! made with the freshest of mint and just the right amount of sweetness by the barman - I complimented him on these.

The restaurant is another treat if you like nice food, and the room really is rather nice. Again it is cool as the air-conditioning is great and the service is efficient.

I love the table set for 8/10 in the glass cubed wine cellar which really does look good, maybe next time I will take my friends there to dine.

My favourite dish this holiday was the tagliatelle with rock lobster - mmmm, this was very good indeed and the presentation of the food is 1st class - as is the service from the team in the Villa.

They also have live, soft, background music in the restaurant and should you require a request I am sure they would be more than happy to accommodate.

I found the Manager of the Villa to be most welcoming and again when I left he thanked me for coming - which makes you feel they care about their customers.

So all in all a super holiday and much improved with regards to service since my last visit. There was nothing really bad about my previous visit, I just felt the service could have been improved - having said that, it was relatively new then and I have no complaints whatsoever this visit.

I think a lot of the improvements must be down to the General Manager Mr Peter J Schönenberger who I saw around the hotel on several occasions. He runs a good hotel, and talking to the staff they seem to respect and like him. You are only as good as the team who support you and I think he has a good team here at the Movenpick, from the housekeeping staff to the senior managers, I found them all to be extremely helpful.

Finally a special thanks must also go to Ms Moufida , Executive Housekeeper, who handled a small problem I had with my laundry most efficiently. I was impressed both by her manner and in the way she dealt with me.

So to all the staff at the Movenpick thank you for making my holiday so memorable and I will be back next year for sure, hopefully staying again in Suite 6180.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, it makes all the difference.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MrCDEDINBURGH

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We visited the Movenpick between the 6th & 13th of October having visited at the same time last year the hotel has vastly improved since our last visit.
The buffet restaurant has improved a lot although we only had breakfast and lunch in there as we used the al la carte restaurants on an evening.
The tapas restaurant is very good with a good selection to choose from
and our favourite was the Sushi restaurant which was excellent. The Grill restaurant on the beach was disappointing as this was very good the previous year.
Sammy the waiter who works in the reception area serving drinks is excellent and never stops serving people, he is an asset to the hotel.
If I wanted to be picky the staff who clean your room didn't leave you a bottle of water everyday and we sometimes run out, also the tea and coffee wasn't replenished during the week we was there, and the head waitress in the buffet restaurant liked taking you to a table right at the back of the restaurant passing empty tables to sit you nearly on the beach.
Overall an excellent relaxing break and will return to this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

It was my third stay at this hotel. And another successful because I like it very much !
All is fantastic: swimming, beach, restaurants & room. But the biggest thanks to the service. They make the hotel a 5 star rating. A special commendation for Mr. Mohamed Ali and Mr.Meher who work at the bar next to the restaurant Tapeo. They are very nice. Their sense of humor helps you forget about all problems and feel full of holiday atmosphere. They are always frielndly for Guests and honestly doing their job. It often happens that the place is associated with people and I am very happy that once again I was able to meet with such polite persons.
I'm sure that I will come back there again and will certainly recommend this hotel to friends.

Moevenpick - my place where I want to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Princess_6012
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here 15th -29th September, my partner having never stayed in an all-inclusive resort before, and myself previously on 2 occasions, but never in a 5 star establishment.
Could not fault the hotel at all - totally stunning, room lovely, would suggest picking a room with sea view, view amazing. Couldn't fault the staff, who were very helpful and friendly, and dealt with any of the minor issues that we had promptly and efficiently. And don't believe that tipping gets you better service, we didn't witness any of that, and had excellent service all holiday - i think it helps if you're actually pleasant to the staff.
Selection of all inclusive drinks is very limited, but okay. The main issue for us was the buffet experience. After the first few days of eating in the buffet we decided that we couldn't eat in there again. Food on offer not great with a poor selection to choose from, and we didn't like the whole 'canteen' feel to it. Quite often tables weren't particularly clean either. So we made sure we booked ourselves into one of the 3 included a la carte restaurants for the rest of our stay. Also, we were particularly looking forward to eating in the Levante grill, overlooking the beach, but this was disappointing. Very limited selection of food on offer, with no atmosphere, and despite having to wait a week to get a table in there, there were only 4 other tables occupied! They could make so much more of this restaurant.
However, Chocolate time from 4 - 6pm was great! A selection of gorgeous chocolate cakes and filled rolls served in one of the bars every day! You couldn't keep me away.
All in all, we really did enjoy our stay here, being a little bit inexperienced with the whole 'all inclusive thing' maybe we were expecting a bit too much. I would recommend staying here and I think we got good value for money, but don't expect great things from the buffet.
Also, I must mention the fantastic waiter who served us all holiday in the First Bar, Mahmoud Gamoun. He was very professional and friendly, and we never sat there with an empty glass, he knew what we drank and it was always with us the moment we sat down.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoxCarla
Reviewed 11 October 2013

If you take a bit from most reviews on here you will have a pretty accurate picture of this hotel. Please ignore the ones that say it is dirty or unfriendly, in life everyone has good days and bad days and this is sometimes reflected in the staff, but on the whole everyone is very friendly and helpful, I would particularly like to praise Sammi one of the waiters in the foyer/ terrace area he made our holiday extra special always remembering what we would like to drink and always service with a smile and a chat.
Yes the service in the restaurant is not always the best but don't just moan to yourselves be pro active and complain to the Manager if he is unaware of your grievance he cannot try to put it right. This was our second visit to the Movenpick and I would say that the standard of the hotel was just as good but maybe the clientele were not ! Many Eastern Europeans who have no manners or respect for other guests yet alone the staff .
We stayed in a pool view room which had bathrobes supplied , room was cleaned well every day .
Previous reports had complained of broken sunbeds and ripped cushions , I can report that these were being replaced and repaired whilst we were there as obviously the hotel was not so busy.
One other thing to remember is that African time is very different to our time 5 minutes could mean half and hour a whole day or maybe never but your on holiday so just go with the flow.
We had a complimentary meal in " La Villa" which was superb the attention to detail was first class and the food one of the best meals i had eaten in a long time.

Make sure you go to " chocolate hour" between 4pm and 6pm they serve a selection of mini filled rolls , chocolate cakes and of course chocolates !! on the terrace .
We would like to say thank you to everyone who made our holiday so enjoyable and just remember that please and thank you go a long way with the staff who will appreciate a tip but at no time will expect one.

Room Tip: Choose pool view , if you want to see the sun rise ask for the right hand block as you look at the h...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wendywoody
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Have now decided to write a review on this holiday resort and a have written a complaint letter to travel company Thomson. Would not have not normally reviewed a resort but feel that this hotel must be highlighted for the many issues that had gone on during our stay from 15/29 September 2013. Great looking hotel and foyer. The problems started with a mix up on our names at reception where they tried to move us to different room overlooking the road. We had unpacked and been out for an exploratory wonder later that day, and came back to a note in the door which was in French! After some difficult language discussion it transpired that there had been a mix up with our name and the room and we were asked to move!! A porter arrived and when we asked him where we being moved to he said the front of the hotel facing the road!! A this point we showed him our booking that had a sea view in a double room. The outcome was resolved by changing our room card and no apology from reception!

Evening meal, given a seat facing a wall, changed after next night!! Difficult to attract waiter's attention for drinks but got there in the end, it took ages for the drinks to arrive and then they were wrong. Wine very poor and just drinkable. Made a note to try something else next time. Loads of tables not cleared and cutlery is always an issue, if this was a 5 star why are tables not laid out with knife's, forks, spoon's (this was always a problem, one evening we just left our meal on the table). We saw napkins taken off other tables where other people had eaten and folded and given to other guests who were without these basic items. Dinner plates were often not clean and we saw numerous ones still smeared or covered in something! Food selection was certainly not up to 5 star reputation, great if you enjoy fruit that had been badly bruised, salad that was repeated night after night and not sure what it was some times? Would see several people looking for food and then decide on an item but as we noticed the wastage of food was unbelievable. Trying to attract the waiters attention is difficult and when you did and order something to drink it would take so long sometimes that you had nearly finished the main course. We found that tipping was the only answer, well sometimes anyway! DRESS CODE what a joke!! The management may have put up signs for men to were long trousers and no t-shirt's but, the order of the day (evening) was cut off shorts and t-shorts and we saw one man with a singlet on and old shorts, 5 Star hotel!!

Breakfast after 9.00 was a big problem as there were often many tables still not cleared and you would have to pile plates onto another table to find a seat, then came the problem of getting clean table cloth and cutlery. The coffee was stewed and certainly not nice to drink, milk would be used from another table to top up the jug at the waiters station and then delivered to a table! There is very little managerial supervision and certainly no customer care.

Room facilities were a joke, what a problem (and this was every day), no coffee (maybe a sachet), no sugar, and sachet milk that was out of date! We tried for fresh milk on several times, BUT the answer we found was to buy our own items from a local supermarket and just get on with it. Bathroom was dark, poor lighting, loose mirror and fittings, hair drier fell apart one evening and fell onto the wet sink top with all it's wiring showing!!! Took about half an hour for someone to turn up to look at it, after numerous calls to reception. Shower hose failed to work properly on two occasions and when maintenance finally sorted problem we had water but not the usual invigorating shower we all come to expect from hotel showers. Air conditioning failed to blow cold air on several nights and when complained to reception they stated it would be sorted, (the fact was that it was turned off by the hotel!), The mini bar, joke! never looked at or topped up, just a few cold drinks.
Bar service in the evening, you could be sat at the bar and it would take ages before being served, not always busy. Waiter service was very poor. There is a general shortage of tables and chairs to sit at and wonder what would happen if the hotel was full? The all inclusive drinks were limited and if you bought a known brands ie double Baileys and bottle of Becks it cost us TD44.00 (£17.60)!! One night we watched in amazement at the cleaning of the drinking glasses practice, removed from bar or tray swilled around in tap water or sink and refilled with a fresh drink for a new customer, this was done on numerous occasions and we noticed why our glasses were not bright and clean on occasions, here was the reason. Little or very poor entertainment in the evening, guitar and then followed by a electronic keyboard. We spent a lot of our time in the room watching TV, some good channels and films. If you wandered outside at night it is certainly a third world outside the front door, be prepared for a certain amount of hassle. The area is protected by security guards at he front of the hotel and on the beach.

The snack bar known as WAVE, BIG health warning here!! You would not believe the flies around the lettuce and open food!!! We saw a plate of chips waiting to be served with flies on the chips and on the plate, with no attempt to move them on or protect the food. Ice cream is free here, just help yourself, GREAT!!
The pool maintenance staff were always friendly and helpful and would show interest and often give a wave as they walked by. There are plenty of sunbeds (some had broken backs or wheels missing/falling off), though they are all so close to each other and it was impossible to move between the beds. There was a BIG shortage of umbrellas and if you had not put yours up the staff would come around and ask if you were going to use it!! The two swimming pools are great and clean with a Jacuzzi in one of the corners. There was a swim up bar but hidden away in a corner and was never in the sun and in all of the two weeks we never saw anyone drink or even saw a waiter there? How many people knew it was there?

So in short!! Would we recommend this hotel? Nice to look at, and on the surface plush, but certainly does not rate it's star rating's by some great margin and as somewhere for a holiday. NO.
We have come back in need of de-stress and wonder why the H*** we went! We even had thought of trying to book a return flight by the fourth day but as it had cost us nearly £3000.00 we decided to stick at it, but now wish we had, foresight?
Finally, there are others who have had similar reviews and experiences as us, and yes, there appear to some with good reviews, but if we need to write a damming review then there must be a reason.

Room Tip: Sea view if you must!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David L
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Everything seems flawless but little things happen. The dining room is too hot to breath in. Rooms in front can be over the all night disco, which is not that great if you are a senior wanting to go to sleep at 11:00. The place is physically lovely, all is very very clean and elegant. Far better value dropping a star and crossing the street.

Room Tip: Stay away form the bar
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Pensioner-SJN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
#3 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Hotel Marhaba
Hotel Marhaba
#7 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse? Share your experiences!