I arrived in Sousse on Wednesday 9th October and after eventually getting out of the airport I was met by a very well dressed driver from the Movenpick Hotel. He welcomed me to Sousse and then helped me with my luggage to the awaiting car.
The car was a very nice spacious BMW, with good air-conditioning and water was also supplied.
The journey from the airport to the resort of Sousse takes around 20 minutes, and it was a pleasant drive through various parts the Countryside.
The car then pulled up at the hotel`s rather grand entrance (The façade always reminds me a little of the front of Karnak Temple in Luxor) and out I got. I made my way up the stairs to the entrance and was warmly greeted again by the concierge. I, having visited this hotel previously then made my way to the reception.
Again the greeting was extremely friendly and the check in process began. I have to say all this was made very easy by the super team behind the reception desk. The staff are immaculate and the spacious reception area works smoothly. I was at reception less than 3 minutes.
I was then asked to take a seat whilst they copied my passport and made my way to one of the comfortable areas in the main lobby. I had no sooner sat down when I was approached with a refreshing face cloth and a rather welcome soft drink.
The air-conditioning in the main lobby works a treat, and you really do appreciate this when you come in form the heat and the humidity.
A few minutes later I was approached by a charming lady from guest relations and escorted to my room. As I mentioned, I have previously stayed in this hotel and knew my way around but I thought this was a nice touch.
I had booked a Junior Suite, Suite number 6180, well, when I was shown into the room it was even better than I had hoped for. On entering I had a guest toilet on the left hand side, and a spacious lobby/entrance hall with side table and lamp. Passing through this area you then entered the sitting room, again vary spacious with a large sofa, 2 armchairs, side tables, coffee table, mini bar, huge wall mounted Samsung TV and again various lamps dotted around the room.
The view of the sea was spectacular from the double glass doors that opened onto a balcony which had a table and 2 chairs.
I was then shown the rest of the Suite, as you entered the bedroom there was a very modern en-suite bath/shower room, all very well fitted out. The shower and shower head were the biggest I have had in any hotel and this was a real treat to use when I woke in the morning.
They also provided luxury bath robes, slippers, and a selection of spa products such as shower gels, shampoo and conditioners as well as various soaps and bath salts.
There is a shaver / toothbrush adaptor, a nice magnifying mirror and all in all I thought this was a nicely laid out en-suite.
The bedroom again was very spacious and had ample storage for all my clothes. I did however ask for another 12 coat hangers and they arrived within moments.
There is a safe in the room which I made use off and to my surprise another even larger balcony, with table and chairs and 2 large sun loungers, and again a wall mounted Samsung TV.
I thanked the lady from guest relations and she had no sooner left when my luggage arrived. I unpacked, then settled down on the balcony looking over the sea with a soft drink.
I spend a lot of time in my room and decided there was only one thing missing - flowers or plants, so I decided to call guest relations and order some. This was all made very easy, I was asked what I wanted to spend, and hey presto - the flowers arrived. Now I was happy and the room looked even more homely now.
If you like sunbathing then you are in for a treat, the beach is a delight with good sun loungers and umbrellas and towels are supplied by showing your pool card you get on arrival.
The hotel has various swimming pools, sea water, fresh water, and spa pool which can be accessed by swimming out from the inside of the spa. They also have Jacuzzis and a great many sun loungers around the various pools so you wont have to fight to get a place.
Drinks service is available both on the beach and around the many pools, so if you fancy a drink just give one of the staff a polite wave.
The spa I mention is again very nice. They offer various treatments and its a place in which to relax and spend a few hours as the staff pamper you. Sometimes it is good just to get away form it all and relax - well, this is certainly the place to do this.
I had lunch a few times in the round beach front restaurant and I have to say the service could not have been better. The food was fresh and plentiful, in fact too plentiful at times! Amongst my favourites were the four cheese pasta and the burgers - all washed down with a cool beer.
They also give you a free little meze to start with, usually a basket of fresh bread, tuna, olives and the hot sauce harissa that is traditional in Tunisia.
I took breakfast both in the main dining room and in the Suite, both were great, but I have to admit, having breakfast in the room looking over the Mediterranean was a real treat.
I was a tad confused one morning though as I had ordered a hot breakfast and when the trolley arrived and was set up facing the sea all I could see was orange juice, croissants, bread and rolls, the fruit platter, coffee and hot milk, butter and preserves and a red rose in a vase - how nice, but where I asked the waiter was my hot food?
He cheekily smiled and lifted the crisp white table cover to produce form a small heated oven under the trolley table a perfectly plated piping hot cooked breakfast. Now I have to say this was a lovely touch as sometimes room service breakfast can be cold when you get it - not surprising really, given the distance they have to travel sometimes. But not at the Movenpick - they have thought of everything.
I also took drinks in the lobby bar and the mezzanine cocktail bar up the spiral staircase and was again impressed by the friendliness of the staff. I remembered the barman, who also recognised me, as he had previously worked in the Villa the last time I was there. Most nights there is music of some kind in the grand lobby and this makes for a very nice atmosphere indeed.
Now to the Villa, a rather grand addition to the Movenpick accessible form either inside or outside the hotel. This in my opinion is a real treat to visit, there are several rooms that make up the Villa, but my favourites are the alabaster bar and the restaurant.
I had one of the best mojitos I have ever had in this bar, actually I had 2! made with the freshest of mint and just the right amount of sweetness by the barman - I complimented him on these.
The restaurant is another treat if you like nice food, and the room really is rather nice. Again it is cool as the air-conditioning is great and the service is efficient.
I love the table set for 8/10 in the glass cubed wine cellar which really does look good, maybe next time I will take my friends there to dine.
My favourite dish this holiday was the tagliatelle with rock lobster - mmmm, this was very good indeed and the presentation of the food is 1st class - as is the service from the team in the Villa.
They also have live, soft, background music in the restaurant and should you require a request I am sure they would be more than happy to accommodate.
I found the Manager of the Villa to be most welcoming and again when I left he thanked me for coming - which makes you feel they care about their customers.
So all in all a super holiday and much improved with regards to service since my last visit. There was nothing really bad about my previous visit, I just felt the service could have been improved - having said that, it was relatively new then and I have no complaints whatsoever this visit.
I think a lot of the improvements must be down to the General Manager Mr Peter J Schönenberger who I saw around the hotel on several occasions. He runs a good hotel, and talking to the staff they seem to respect and like him. You are only as good as the team who support you and I think he has a good team here at the Movenpick, from the housekeeping staff to the senior managers, I found them all to be extremely helpful.
Finally a special thanks must also go to Ms Moufida , Executive Housekeeper, who handled a small problem I had with my laundry most efficiently. I was impressed both by her manner and in the way she dealt with me.
So to all the staff at the Movenpick thank you for making my holiday so memorable and I will be back next year for sure, hopefully staying again in Suite 6180.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATION The Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse is located at the entertainment heart of Sousse, and just minutes away from the city centre. Opened in April 2010, this luxury 5 star resort is the first International chain resort in the city of Sousse. The hotel comprises of 618 rooms and suites of various categories. Sousse is Tunisia’s third largest city, and an important industrial and commercial centre on the eastern coast. Sousse is located 135 km south of Tunis, 20 km north of Monastir airport, and just 40 km south of Enfidha airport. In addition to being the Sahel region’s economic heart, Sousse is also a major tourist resort area, offering a wide choice of restaurant and entertainment options. ACCOMMODATION A total of 618 rooms and suites, well equipped with flat screen LCD TV, direct dial telephones, mini bars, safe deposit boxes, coffee and tea-making facilities and individually controllable air conditioning and heating. All rooms are granted free access to the underground car park, the gym and the outdoor swimming pools. Non-smoking rooms are available, as well as connecting rooms for families with children. Two rooms are customized for the disabled. The top floor is also known as the Executive floor, offering complimentary Internet access and other services for the discerning business guest. DINING & ENTERTAINMENT The Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse offers a diversity of cuisines from around the world to tantalize your taste buds; enjoy show cooking and international buffets at Mosaique, indulge in Sushi and Teppanyaki from Japan at Sendai, sample authentic Spanish cuisine at Tapeo or enjoy a Mediterranean culinary experience at La Villa. And if it’s grill you favour, the Levant Grill & Jacuzzi is the ideal place to dine by the water’s edge. Watch the sun go down with a drink from a variety of bars such as the Breeze or First. Aga Cafe takes you back to the glorious days of the Ottoman Empire. And for a more lively end to the day, La Villa offers different atmospheres, ranging from the brandy and cigars of the Chimney Bar to the eased back elegance of the Onyx Lounge. SPORT & LEISURE With its 300-metre long sandy beach and a watersports base offering hobiecat sailboats, parascending and windsurfing, the Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse is the ideal sports and leisure resort. Other sport and leisure facilities also include beach volleyball, table tennis, sauna and fitness training. For golf enthusiasts, El Kantaoui golf course offers an 18-hole golf course in the immediate vicinity. A scuba diving club is also located nearby. Other amenities in the hotel include three outdoor swimming pools, one indoor/outdoor pool at the Marine Spa, the VIKs’ (Very Important Kids) house, a beauty salon, a boutique and business services. MARINE SPA Marine Spa is our unique interpretation of wellbeing: a full thalassotherapy centre combined with a large array of Spa treatments. Marine Spa welcomes both hotel and outside guests from 10.00 am till 10.00 pm daily, offering them a unique concept that gives its true meaning to wellness. Harnessing the power of natural marine ingredients, together with the latest innovations in product and treatment technology, we offer a complete package for all your spa and wellness needs. Under the guidance of our expert Spa therapists, we encourage our guests to actively participate in the selection and creation of a personalised spa programme. MEETINGS & EVENTS Perfection is our passion and Swiss hospitality our heritage. Movenpick Meetings & Events offers professional event management encapsulating the highest quality standards, creative cuisine and qualified, friendly service. You will find in Sousse this subtle alliance of efficiency and inspiration, of modernity and functionality, in each of our five meeting spaces. We offer one 629 sqm ballroom and four meeting rooms with daylight. All include state-of-the-art equipment and can be set up in a variety of styles. Need anything on the fly? Our dedicated Meetings & Events Concierge is there to cater for your needs and to ensure that your event is running smoothly. This enables you to focus your full attention on your meeting or event. Our excellent quality programme, Movenpick Meeting & Events, creates the optimal conditions to ensure that your meeting, banquet or business event will be a complete success. Your personal contact partner will take over the entire organization for you, ensuring highest quality service and attending to the individual needs of your guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Prestigia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moevenpick Resort And Marine Spa Sousse
- Moevenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse Hotel Sousse