“Brilliant!!”

Marhaba Royal Salem
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I have just returned yesterday, and would go back tomorrow. the place is great for kids, lots to do throughout the day, with an EXCELLENT animation team. the staff are all helpful and polite. gardens surround the hotel, which are so well kept and maintained. entertainment is excellent and caters for all needs. definitely recommend.

3  Thank shafinaLancashire
There are newer reviews for Marhaba Royal Salem

Reviewed 18 April 2011

This is my very first holiday review, written out of a desire to inform those worried about the "trouble" and the weather that all is well in Tunisia.

I was scheduled to go to Egypt for this break until Jet2 announced they were cancelling all flights to Sharm due to the protest. Very considerate of them but strange the other British Airlines considered it fine to continue to fly there. Anyway for £1000 less it became apparent I could get the "same holiday" (Arab state, 2 weeks, all inclusive, 4*, etc) but in Tunisia.

All that was left to confirm was that my family would return safely and preferably with sun tans! I could find very little information on this, though regardless decided to follow my instincts (and desire to pick up a bargain) and change my holiday destination to Tunisia.

As the title of this post suggests I would echo all of the positive and even some of the negative comments that have recently been added so won't bore you with the same information. Instead I will sum up my stay as follows. You know the saying "you get what you pay for" this is totally incorrect for this hotel at this current time.

We worked out that the hotel cost us £15 p/n p/p. As there were 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) so £60 a day, or the equivalent of a Travel Lodge/ Premier Inn in the UK, excluding breakfast. Remember that for this £60 we all had food and drink whenever we wanted it, use of the pools, sun beds, beach, day/night entertainment, sauna, spa and of course our room.

Prices won't stay at this level for long once public perception and confidence to tourists resumes normality. When it does my grading would reduce to 4/5, however, at present all things considered this is the best value holiday I have ever had.

As for answering the concerns that I had before booking; political unrest - the nearest I saw to artillery and conflict was 2 young boys chasing each other around the pool with water pistols. And the weather - I'm not one of these who has a weather station at the end of my sun bed so cannot accurate report the temperature. My measure that it's hot enough is that I can dry off after going in the pool by simply lying on my sun lounger. 2 days of cloud, 12 of the former .... you decide.

Room Tip: Get to evening entertainment early - space limited
1  Thank MarkC77_09
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Just got back from this hote 10th April and 28 degrees all week not a cloud in the skyl, the staff are fantastic the maid we had was great every day she did a good job, special thanks to the waiter in the snack bar his name was Adel.

Just make sure you give a small tip every so often and the staff will treat you even better than normal.

there are two outdoor pools open at the moment one with slides and asmaller one then there is an indoor pool which is very nice, plus a nice gym and hairdresser and nail place for the ladies, the hotel shop is a bit pricey go to the gates turn left or right and there are other shops within a few yards the one to the left is the better one in my eyes.

the entertainment is not to good and if you get a room in the main building it gets a bit noisy in your room at night unless they move the entertainment outdoors in the summer, but the lobby and bar area are very clean and again nice staff.

the gardens are kept nice and tidy,the beach as beds free of charge and is ok but they where exstending the beach bar so it was closed should be done for the summer.

I am a fussy eater and was worried i wouldn;t like anything but were totaly wrong, breackfast you could get boiled or scrammbled eggs, toast, ommlette, pancakes, cerials, cake, plenty of quasants etc. lunch, spagettee, different hot meat, cold meats cheese, salads, chips pitza, and plenty more, Dinner, hot meats, salads, chips pitza, mash or somtimes boiled potatoes, plenty of lovely veg differnt rice each day puddings are fantastic, if i can find stuff to eat anyone can no upset gut problems only down fall to meals in main restaurant is some people reserve tables i dont like this because its like eleteisam to me and one woman while we was there didn;t even put the card on the table to reserve it and tried to move me no chance, however if you miss lunch or dinner just go to the snack bar they will have something for you.

Also chip butties and salad cobs at 3pm at snack bar.

drinks are ok red wine is good.

5 dinar to port cantoui, hour walk to sousse ladies be aware of walking round in shorts you get some funny looks but whatever your on holiday do what you want.

when going out on plane try to get a visa card fill it in before you get there we got there at 8.50 in morning and got to the bus at 10 past ten yes 1 hour 20 mins because Thomas Cook never told us about the forms to fill in.

I would certainly go back and it could be september it is a great hotel with good food quiet location great staff and very clean what a gem.

See You Soon Adel and freinds
Andy and Kate Chesterfield

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andypChesterfield
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed here last week was fantastic weather was great food was fab great variety the staff and animation team we really nice amazing with kids and adults we are looking to come back later on in the summer we would recommend this hotel to any one :)

1  Thank 2011princess
Reviewed 9 April 2011

On the plus side = price, cleanliness, maid coming everyday, easy going, low key, on the bus route, good hard bed, balcony, quiet rooms [after entertainment is finished]. Good standard of food but nothing fancy. Lunch area outside is nice. Reception staff were great, very helpful and friendly, especially the only lady. Porters were lovely. Waiters all friendly and fun. Good simple salads and plenty of veg, ice cream etc. Good hairdresser/ beauty place on site [I had a very good haircut indeed for a tenner but avoid having the facial, apparently it is rather vigourous and one lady looked rather red afterwards]. Massage was good too. Hotel used by Tunisians too which is nice.

On the down side = Large outdoor pool near another block but a long way form our block by reception, nightly entertainment is in the vestibule bar and noise rises up through the open space to the rooms above but this stopped on the dot of 11pm every night so was not a problem for us. The restaurant seems to have a strange system of seating you in a waiter's zone and they like you to sit there all the time so choose wisely when you first go! Restaurant seems to get very hot at times so do not sit near the carvery/servery? If you are on ALL INCLUSIVE take a mug ! Every cup there is teeny weeny and not satisfying for a good cuppa. We took a travel kettle and used milk from the servery areas. No fridges in rooms. AVOID THE TAXI'S OUTSIDE. They are nothing to do with the hotel but wait there anyway. Reception will order you a reputable taxi that will charge you according to the meter [as per the law]. You are at liberty to negotiate a lower rate for a longer journey. I speak French and some Arabic and these taxi's outside were the biggest sharks around and will even agree to take you somewhere and then attempt to drop you somewhere you do not want to be. I appreciate these guys are on a low income and compete hard for little work, I also do not mind paying a bit more than a local might pay, but these guys got really nasty.

Room Tip: Cheap and cheerful, avoid the taxis outsiide.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JPLUK
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Nice, clean hotel with lovely staff. Entertainment staff, Tiesto, Alex and others brilliant with adults and children. Good selection of food and no extra charge for drinks, including bottled water, which you can take to your room. Felt totally safe walking around Sousse, Tunisians are mostly very friendly, especially towards young children. Usual hassle in shops etc, although there is a supermarket closeby where they leave you to shop in peace! Don't let recent problems put you off, there are some good deals at the moment and the country really needs the tourism trade to pick up.

2  Thank HazLiverpool
Reviewed 7 April 2011

This Hotel is a bit shabby round the edges but clean, tidy and for the money we paid. Well I would imagine the Hotelier actually ran at a huge loss during that period. And Anyone who has any moans about it should remember that if they traveled late March-early April. The poor Tunisians were only just recovering and actually still are from a Revolution, which began through the extreme frustration of a poor young lad who took his own life in Sidi Bouzid. As He lost the license for his Fruit and Veg cart and was the sole provider for his widowed Mother, plus his brothers and sisters etc. The economic crisis has hit us hard. But if the Tunisians don't work they don't eat!! And they did not work for ten whole weeks during the revolution.

In the UK Hotels just like that, cost £100.00 per night never mind about the extra of the All Inclusive.

We had a great time, lovely food, two choices the dining room and snack bar. Plenty to drink and no extras for that vital bottle of water.No big wait like in other hotels not to be mentioned with big brand names, known throughout the world for the supposed quality. The staff gladly gave us as much water as we needed. Stick with the Tunisian chains for friendliness and service. Sauna, Gym, a whirl pool bath, Free sunbeds everywhere even on the beach with lots of Resort information from Fred and Jozef, who were very helpful towards my disability, with the /chairs/sunbeds etc.

And a fantastic entertainment program for everyone, adults and children. And entertainments every night.

Plus lots of other help and information from a local guide Ben who spent a great deal of time in the Hotel as a Public Relations. Who was helpful with bus/train times. And glad to help us with a trip for us to the Pharmacy.

My friend and I are still laughing, and enjoyed our stay so much we have booked to return to the Marhaba Salem, its sister hotel just next door. We would have booked the Royal Marhaba Salem but cannot book it as a package, right now.

We would recommend this hotel to open minded cultured people, who appreciate good service and fantastic food.

Room Tip: Tunisia is hot n spicy, not bland.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BIGPAULINE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Marhaba Beach Hotel
#7 of 35 in Sousse
Tej Marhaba Hotel
Tej Marhaba Hotel
#14 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Marhaba Royal Salem? Share your experiences!