“**amazing holiday as a young couple**”
Review of Marhaba Club Hotel

Marhaba Club Hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My partner and I (aged 20 and 23) visited the Marhaba Club for a 1 week stay from the 6th June as our first holiday abroad together. I had previously visited Tunisia as a young girl and didn't remember it so only had what parents and reviews told us to go off. I read all the reviews getting really excited on the run up to the holiday and hoped that the bad ones i read were from people who had one off experiences or who were just fussy. I was right, our experience was fabulous! i could nit pick and probably pick out about 2 or 3 things that could have been a slight bit off but i don't feel they affected our holiday.

We arrived at 4.30am after a delayed flight and the man who checked us was happy enough considering the time. We filled out some forms and were told where our room was on the 2nd floor, and to come back in the morning for our all inclusive wristbands. We noticed during the holiday that guests arriving during the day had porters show they to their room, but at half 4 in the morning when only one member of staff is on duty it is understandable that he didn't and its not like you can get lost in a lift and corridor.

The rooms were fairly large. We had an extremely large bathroom (the largest iv seen in my 20 years of holidays) with a full size bath, sink and separate adjoining toilet room. There was plenty of storage space, we never filled half of the cupboards draws and wardrobes. The bed was 2 singles pushed together but we found it manageable and the beds and pillows were soft and comfy. The TV had one English movie channel which we fell asleep to a few nights. There was a fridge in the room but it was never stocked. Our balcony was quite large with a hanging rail on the wall for drying towels and swimwear over night, and there was 2 chairs and table.

The maids tidied our room, made the beds, mopped and changed our towels every day and we never felt that she rooted through our stuff and we had nothing missing by the end of our holiday however we had spoke to people who had noticed things missing and noticed that she had been going through their wardrobe ect, perhaps it just depends on which maid you get, we always had our valuables on us or locked in the safe though as a precaution.

We got our all inclusive bands the next morning no problem and also changed some money and hired a safe box. This cost 32 TND (approx 12pounds) and we got 20TND back at the end of the holiday. During the first couple of days we tipped all staff members (our waiter, pool bar guy, lobby bar guys) 1TND (40p) and they were more than happy with that. In the restaurant our table always had petals on it and sajid(sorry about the spelling) could not do enough for us. As was for Rhiad the pool bar man, he would always bring our drinks to our loungers and would serve us before others at the bar. You look after them and they will look after you.

On our first day, we didnt get to the pool areas untill about 12 because of our welcome meeting and lunch etc, and there was nowhere left to sit around either pool area, therefore the following day we went down at 7.30am, asked the sunbed man where was best to sit for the sun all day and he put our beds out. We gave him 10tnd and asked if he would reserve those beds everyday for us which he was more than happy to. We gave him extra little bits of money throughout the holiday as it gave us a bit of a lie in. We even came back from the camel trip after lunch one day and didn't have to worry about having a place to sit.

Even though the Thomas Cook websites makes a big deal out of the Hotel Marhaba and the Marhaba Club being two seperate hotels it was so easy, and only a matter of meters in the same grounds to wander between both. Marhaba Club guests could use all parts of Marhaba, however Marhaba guests could not use the Club restaurant.

The Club pool was a bit smaller and quieter but had a lovely swim up pool bar, no screaming kids, and the entertainment team still did water polo and aerobics in it everyday. The snack bar here at lunch time made freshly made sandwiches and crepes. The Marhaba Hotel pool was larger free form with a bridge and 3 slides. It was much busier with lots of kids around the pool. The bar here was also busy with a queue. The snack bar here had pizza, chips, pasta, salad, bread, cakes and ice cream.

The beach was really nice with loads of room however i found the sea a bit rough therefore we did not spend a day on the beach. The bar and snack bar here was equally as nice as the Club and the staff were lovley, and it also had a wide range of food simular to the Marhaba.

When you go to the restaurant for the first time you are given your own table to sit at. Only once did we have a problem with someone sitting in our place but we were found an alternate table within minutes.The food in the restaurant was really really nice. A lot of people we spoke to said they did not enjoy it at all, but they also admitted to being fussy eaters. We also had plates upon plates of salad bread rice pizza pasta pastrys quiches etc. They always cooked meat fresh how you liked it each night, i tried turkey and beef and had no problems with either. The cakes are to die for, always save lots of room as there are so many and they all look so nice. There was also always melon dates and ice cream. Please note, there are never any burgers, chips, nuggets etc, but DON'T be afraid to try different looking food. It was all so nice and we didn't hear of anybody with food poisening through out our entire week.
I felt the Marhaba Hotel restaurant was a bit better laid out with more choice. This restaurant always served chips for the fussier eaters, and also a larger range of cakes but as we really liked our waiter in our restaurant we only ate here twice.
Breakfast was fab! Salad, Toast, Porridge, Freshly made pancakes (the guy used to make picture pancakes for the kids), rice pudding, potatoes, hot dog sausages, boiled eggs, freshly fried eggs and freshly made omelettes, fresh donuts, croissants and pastrys fruit and yoghurts and cereals.

Apart from breakfast we were drinking alcohol ALL day, and only a few times at night did we feel tipsy. I have read a few reviews saying that they water the alcohol down. I have no proof of this and cannot say either way, apart from in the lobby bar the vodka is DEFINITELY NOT watered down as it is soooo strong. The beer there is really nice, as i know some foreign brews are not. The Marhaba Cocktail is a bit like a Sex on the Beach or a Woo Woo but with orange juice and is lovely.

We booked with Thomas Cook and did two excursions both via them not the beach guys. We did the half day camel caravan which was fab!!!!!!! and we visited the waterpark in port el kantoui.
We also ventured out of the hotel for walks along the street/prom and got the noddy train (2.50TND from sousse medina to port el kantoui marina) Always buy a one way ticket as if you get a return you must wait for the same coloured train to return. The Marina is absolutly gorgeous and well worth a visit. Most shops here are fixed prices so you do not need to haggle. Some stalls and shops do try to get you to come have a look but a polite no thankyou and they leave you alone. If you are polite to them and respect them they will do the same to you. In the Medina haggling is essential. Whatever the price they originally give you half it and take a bit and then stick to that price, if they do not go low to your price just say no thankyou and walk away, chances are they will chase after you and offer it you at your price, or you will find the same product not even 5 meters away at a different shop.
We did not feel scared or unsafe at any point during our stay. They are nice people and it is just and always has been there way of making a living.

All in all we had a fantastic stay. We would definitely return to Tunisia and our hotel was fabulous value for the price we paid for it - we would definitely return to or recommended this hotel to family and friends.

.#

Room Tip: We had a view of palm trees and street. If we were to visit again i would request a pool or sea view...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jessam0612

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Well where do I start its my first visit to tunisia and never again well not at marhaba club . The hotel reception staff where really helpfull moving us into a better room for my mum to a wet room they where great couldnt do enough shame the rest of the hotel wasnt great .
The rooms wherent bad clean but the bedding had stains on them we complained 3 times and the towels r grey and rough not white and fluffy , and repairs where dealt with fast though as r patio door wouldnt lock they sorted straight away which is good .
Now the food well I never ate any meat on holiday it was rubbish, there was nothing to eat at all the menu is the same all the time they dont cater for english, there never any plates or cuttlery and when ask its an ordeal , u get your own table for all meals and u turn up and someone else is sat there , overall the food is bad .
The lounger man round the pool is miserable even though I tipped most days.

The bar staff arent to bad a couple r fine, the pool bar man is the best really polite man and will bring the drinks to your lounger .
The entertainment well its ok for kids but not much at nite they try there best .nightly entertainment was watching buffer man,
Overall the holiday was good just a shame about the hotel never again marhaba club, the complex is good for kids .
If it wasnt for meeting a load of lovely people from newcastle it would of been even worst . I go all inclusive to save money but I am beginning to think not its the worst all inclusive I been too ,

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Hi there just just come back from a return visit to Marhaba Club I am sorry to say so so disappointed !!!

On arrival at 12.30 am we had to unload our own cases off the bus, not only was was there no food,but it took us 30 mins at least to beg for a 2 litre bottle of water between 3 of us.Not a very good start but we were still feeling very confident due to our lovely holiday here last year.

Hence this was nothing like the welcome last year ...
Well, food also very disappointing salads very dry , no variety its ok if you like eggs eggs or eggs, bacon was once a week .Tunisian night was the best night the food was superb we all loved it .I would definitely advise you to eat at the Marhaba hotel as the choice and quality of the food and service exceeds the marhaba club.

I can honestly say that the highlight of my holiday was the beach and the beach bar I would give it a 4 star rating for service and quality ...
The staff at the beach bar were very pleasant helpful and respectful...
The sand sea and sun were perfect also do try the paragliding and things on the beach as they are excellent value for money....

The animation team some of the young men work very hard and are usually pleasant , with the exception of Fifi who we found sullen,lazy and just generally unpleasant . I think perhaps some customer service training would help her she certainly lacks people skills...

The night bar staff in the hotel reception I must give a 1 star .We found them very rude impatient and inconsistent ,We complained to the management on several occasions about three specific waiters who made us wait and muttered to themselves about us and generally made us feel uncomfortable.There was no entertainment what so ever in the hotel and there was no welcoming atmosphere in the lounge bar where you could relax and just enjoy a drink .
Sadly on a few nights we and many others found ourselves watching a cleaner buffer the reception floor taking about half an hour on each tile ... how sad were we !!!!
There has been many cut backs since our holiday last year even a soft drink was served in a wine glass only half full.The alcohol is watered so you cant wake up with a hangover tht's for sure...
I hope you have found this review helpful as I always read reviews before I go on holiday, it's just unfortunate I can't rate it as I did last year.
We still enjoyed the holiday amongst ourselves and as I said sun sea sand and beach bar made it for us ...

.#

Room Tip: we've stayed here twice and I would recommend a 4th floor and pool or sea view its lovely to sta...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Ok back for the second part,still here and cant wait to go home. Six days it took to remove the extra bed and filthy rugs,three times we informed the rep. So issues raised with the hotel and rep, cook using the same tongs for raw food and then serving the cooked,raised the issue and thought it got better as the cook then used a gloved hand to place the raw food onto the grill,still the issue of raw food coming into contact with cooked food. Having thought things may improve i tried the grilled turkey again,only to find the meat was raw inside. I mentioned this to the restaurant manager, who took it away and had a word with the cook, no apology or anything. Other issues is the cleanliness of the rooms, or should i say the un-cleanliness of the rooms. I have zero hair and my wife short blond hair but the room has an abundance of long black hairs that dont get swept away, but just moved around the floor. The towels are full of holes and with frayed edges, and are grey in colour not white.
The whole holiday has been one big let down and we cannot wait to return home, the hotel is a two star at best, the food is awful, mostly un edible, and most of your time is spent in a very long queue waiting for food to be either brought out or cooked. The snack bar is shocking with a complaint of the man shoving the cheese and tomato into the roll with his hand,very nice,not.
Just this morning at breakfast,i had Russians sitting at our table, the waiter moved them to their table and i went for food, i only eat cheese and tomato, its wont give me food poisoning, got my tomatoes, and alas there was no cheese, i asked the restaurant manager who said he would bring it to my table for me, so i put my plate of tomatoes on the table and went for a cup of tea,joined another queue, got my tea, no spoons to stir it with,went back to the table,still no cheese,waited,and waited,no cheese arrived, so i left in disgust and raging that i have paid for this inadequate service. I feel as though we just dont matter as paying guests, and think these hotels cater for the German and Russian's, as they seem to receive very prompt attention from the staff.
Also there is nothing to do in an evening apart from sitting in the reception, drinking poor drinks from glasses that dont get washed, yes thats right, they do not get washed just rinsed under the tap with the waiters hand,very nice, not. The entertainment, an i use that word loosely is great if your aged between 5 and 12 years old, otherwise forget it there is nothing.
In summary if you want good food, good service, good entertainment, and clean rooms go somewhere else as you will not find it here. I expect i will have lost weight on this holiday,which is usually the opposite of what normally happens.
This is the worst holiday of our lives and will never return to Tunisia again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madtheswine9
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My partner and I visited here last June, and in that review I said I wouldn't return... We did however as this time we were bringing six other people with us, ages ranging from 10 to 35. We decided to come back due to the low cost and the fact we knew the animation team would keep the children entertained.

The problem I have reviewing this hotel is whether to review it as the four star hotel it is advertised as, or as a holiday overall that was relatively cheap (we paid under £500 for a week all inclusive during half term).

We were booked in relatively quickly by a pretty miserable chap behind the desk, and although it had gone midnight we were told to go to our rooms first and then come back down to get our all inclusive bands.

The four rooms we had were all together which is what we requested which was a good start.

The rooms themselves all had something wrong with them. One of them had a line of rust running along the centre of the bath. One of them had a massive damp patch on the wall which caused the plaster to continually fall off at random moments during the week. All of the rooms had malfunctioning showers, the problems ranging from the showers not staying in the brackets provided to at times having to shower in smelly water!

The rest of the room was adequate, all had fridges for your water, the beds were large and comfortable, all be it the linen was quite clearly old. This was the same with the towels in the bathrooms, supposedly white in colour but more of a off cream colour and regularly had stains on them.

I can't stress enough to future visitors, you must eat in the sister hotel The Marhaba. The food here was a million times better than what we experienced in the Club last year, and the one meal we did eat in the Club this year was by far the worst of the holiday... Cold, tasteless and boring.

The only down side to the eating at The Marhaba was that every single day one of the managers within the restaurant seemed to take exception to our group eating in his hotel, although we were entitled to. The only sour note to using this hotel.

The pools are as they are described by everyone else. Both are clean, although very cold during our stay and the younger members of our group only went in once during the week.

The beach was not too bad. Although it appears to be dirtier than last year, and the large blocks of cement at the bottom of some of the poles that are sticking out are lethal!

The animation team did their best this year, and were always on hand to entertain the children. Water polo, bowels, darts, archery were but a few activities ran throughout the day. The animation team also put on the evening entertainment, which I personally think needs revamping. It is almost all directed at a younger audience and so if you are a couple or a group of adults visiting you will find it hard going.

A point worth making is that the animation team work 14 hour days 6 days a week, working three months at a time. They also only earn 150 dinar a month which works out at about £60!!!! They are exceptional when this is taken into account.

The drinks on offer with the all inclusive are ok. If you like spirits then you should be ok, however the mixers you may have with them are usually on the flat side. The beer on offer is weak and tasteless and when you buy the same beer from the other bar at the hotel the difference in taste is massive. The drinks are ok whilst sitting round the pool to keep thirst at bay, however we chose as a group to buy our drinks (both alcoholic and non alcoholic) from the bar which you have to pay of an evening time. A bottle of Heineken or Becks costs you 4 dinar/one pound sixty.

The hotel is not particularly well situated either, with a taxi needed to get most places. There are a few places to eat nearby.

I have giving this an average rating based on the fact that all the kids we took with us already want to return. Don't go to this hotel however if you are a couple or a group of adults, and as for it being a four star, it falls well short of this being a three star at best.

Room Tip: All four of our rooms we had issues with, whereas last year the room was excellent so unfortunately...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlanJ2510
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Currently still here, and not enjoying it. What isnt mentioned is "TAKE A PEN" when you arrive at the airport you have to fill in a immigration form' this delays everything for about an hour just to get everyone through. Then when you get to the hotel you have to do it again, not kidding. No fun when you get there at two in the morning. Once we got our room key we thought the holiday was going to start, but after dragging our suitcases to the room and going in I dont know who was the more surprised, my wife and I, or the man that jumped out of the bed when i put the lights on. I apologised and went to the reception, and the conversation went like this,
There is a man in my room, no, yes a man in my room' no, yes a man in bed, no a man in bed, yes a man in bed. He searched through papers, apologised and said he will get me another room, which he did,and promptly showed us to the room. There was 3 beds shoe horned in there, he said he would have the third bed removed in the morning, didn't say which morning as its our 4th day and its still there. There are 3 rugs in the room at least that is what they are supposed to be, but they are
filthy. I asked for the rugs and the bed to be removed, we even told the rep, and she said she would sort it, but 4 days on and they are still there. Food is terrible,caters for the german, and latvian visitors. Went to the Medina, just harrased from the minute we stepped out of the taxi. Really bad. Will give an update as the holiday progresses, if we last that long.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madtheswine99
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This was a repeat visit as we had a great time this time last year. On arriving at the hotel we had to get our own cases from the coach and as it was around 1am nothing was open, we asked fir a bottle of water and were refused saying the bar is shut we had to argue with them before a bottle of water was produced. Checkin was relatively quick and we were shown to our 4th floor room which had a sea view. Food not as good as last year with less variety with the exception of tunisia night which is a friday. Breakfast is dismal unless you like eggs eggs and more eggs. You will get smoked streaky bacon once a week the beans are watered to death and are hard . You can get croissants cereal toast and pancakes and omelettes drinks are so so weak staff run hot and cold especially in. The main bar abysmal service totally unacceptable. We spoke to thomas cook rep who seemed pretty good. The entertainment is atrocious the worst I've encountered nothing at all in main bar no music nothing no atmosphere at all . The highlight if the night for us brits was watching the cleaner buffing the floor taking abot 2 hours to clean 4 tilesthe main entertainment is at neptune bar do not believe reviews saying this is good in anyway. The animation team ask the guests to say its good and to mention their names so that their manager is happy its all a big con I'm sorry to say. The beach is lovely but the beds are old and uncomfortable . The water sports pretty cheap at around 30 dinars for paraglide for a. Single and 40 dinars for double person flight, it lasts around 5 minutes. Would we come back to this hotel ? Definitely not we couldn't wait to leave. Would we come back to tunisia? ~ maybe

• Stayed: May 2013