“Every Day Is A Saturday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marhaba Beach Hotel

Marhaba Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
York
“Every Day Is A Saturday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

This hotel is fab for all, it is located in a great area of Sousse right on the beach. The hotel is very clean and the food good. The staff are real friendly and you dont have to tip then unless you want to they will still be the same. Cameal and Mohamed were our main waiters and were brill with the young one.
Stevie the pool/life guard always had sunbeds for us and we didnt have to tip him just be nice. Smoothy Moody with his fruit cocktailswhich the kids go mad for. Smiley Miley the trip seller was really funny always having a few words when you passed but no pressure to buy any thing.
Saving the best til last, the animation these guys and girls are fantastic, they work so hard to entertain not only the adults but the kids to, you have Jo (Joey, Joey) with his mini golf, Alaska with archery, Karim with arobics, Mikey with that fab hair and the best dancer in Tunisia, Laura who looks after the children and does a fab job, Kahla (Khaled's cousin) who tought us Arabic and the fabulous Choko who managers the team and does a great job. The only thing missing was Anjel and Khaled - Thankyou all at the Marharba Beach for a fantastic week see you next year xx

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

We have just got back from our second holiday at the Marhaba Beach this year. We went in May and had such a fabulous time that we booked to go back 2 days after we got home. There is nothing bad to say about the hotel or the staff, who cannot do enough for you. I know some people don't like the idea of tipping, but it's not compulsory, regardless of what has been written about the beach, and the waiters are just the same whether you tip them or not. All the staff are wonderful and work so hard to ensure that you have a nice stay. Love the food, the rooms are to a high standard and immaculate and we never had a problem getting a sunbed, regardless of what time we went to the beach and it's quite entertaining watching Abdul chasing off the beach sellers. The animation team work tirelessly and are so friendly. The Tunsian folkelore nights are very good, especiallly the Indian show. The food in the restaurant is very good and the maitre d, Mohammed Ali and his staff are always on hand to help you. The snack bar also doubles up as an a la cate restaurant and the food is to a very high standard. Our favourite place was the American Bar, because it was small and friendly and Amine and Zou Zou and all the waiters are wonderful. We can't wait to go again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jellyfish28
Wickford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

Alarm clock is for getting up at 07:00 to secure a (very old, saggy) sunbed with a mattress. (Thank you SO much B & K for getting them for us on several days). No idea what time you need to get up to secure a sunbed by the (uninviting-looking) pool - we could see they were already taken by 06:00 when we got up early for golf one day.

Ibuprofen is for pain relief if you try to lay on the old, saggy sunbeds without a mattress.

Beach towels are so you can avoid the beach towel "service", which often meant no towels available, those that were seem to have done several seasons' service already, and we strongly suspect are sometimes re-used without washing between clients.

Valium is to keep you calm as result of the stupid, unnecessary, aggravating system of having to use a swipe card every time you want a drink. No drinks are available "self service", you always need a waiter to get them for you or go to the bar (where you often stand ignored for a few minutes), hoping that your arrival doesn't coincide with one of the noisy rows between waiters we encountered.

In the only a la carte restaurant you have to pay for your food - a slightly better version of the kind of food you get every night in the all-inclusive restaurant.

Entertainment was pretty abysmal - low-rent efforts by the animation team, with a repeat after every 7 days so pretty boring if you're there for a fortnight.

The beach is lovely, rooms, food etc. decent, but this is by far the worst "all inclusive" hotel we have stayed in anywhere in the world, and has prompted our first-ever Tripadvisor report as a warning.
4 stars is extreme flattery for this place.

We cannot believe the number of guests who were repeat visitors. If you are one of them I suggest you try somewhere else, you might be surprised at the level of service & quality on offer elsewhere in Tunisia !

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

On arriving at the hotel it looked nice and just what we were looking for. The staff were however downright rude from the beginning........ This carried on throughout the whole holiday. The bell boy who took our suitcase up in the lift looked as though we had spat on his shoe after giving him a £1 tip, as we had no Tunisian currency because we had only been in the country an hour. Unless you are prepared to tip for breathing in the hotel, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

The sun loungers which are part of the package according to the brochure are not free. These again have to be paid for, to the pool life guide (who is Snoop Doggs double) as he reserves them with towels each morning and removes them as people tip. My partner got refused service at one of the bars as he didn't tip one of the waiters. He was advised to use another bar.

It's a shame really, as the hotel is in a great location and had really good potential for providing a fab holiday, if not for the staff. This hotel should not be called an 'All Inclusive ' hotel at all due to the amount of money you have to spend to get any kind of service. We did come across 1 member of staff who couldn't do enough & didn't once hold his hand out for a tip, and on the last day we did tip him substantially as we felt he deserved it.

I have stayed in many 4+* hotels, but this should be classed as 3* max.
To top it off, I got food poisoning on the 2nd to last day. I never want to leave a holiday to come home, but this time I couldn't wait to leave. This hotel has put me off ever going back to Tunisia.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Cheltenham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

I booked this with my husband for a cheap beach holiday. The hotel is dated, but is very clean and comfortable. We found the food fine and there was plenty of choice even for fussy eaters. As stated in previous reviews, you do have to share your dinner table with 'strangers' but we were lucky and had nice people on our table.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you go expecting three star (rather than the four this place is classed as) then you won't be disappointed.

The staff at the hotel are a mixed bag, with the majority being ok. Others were not so helpful and did seem to expect tips for nothing. This could be annoying at times - especially with the lifeguard at the pool who rattled the coins in his pocket when you are looking for a sun bed and he is 'helping' you! Hence, I can see why some of the reviews on this site say the staff are rude.

Having seen the animations team in action, I still don't understand why some reviews think they are so wonderful...we found they only speak to you when they want to sell you something like their bingo cards at £5 a night.

In conclusion, fine for the all inclusive deal at the price we paid, but won't be rushing back.

1 Thank Flavour2
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We just returned from the Marhaba Beach on 26th Sept and had a wonderful holiday, I can't tell you enough how brilliant and friendly this hotel is and the location is perfect! Our only regret is not staying long enough - one week is not long enough to see and do everything Tunisia has to offer.

Rooms - Pay extra for a sea view (we didn't and hugely regretted it) the view of the sea first thing in the morning is stunning, we got a room overlooking reception, this wasn't bad though it was still very quiet as the hotel is situated away from the busy main road.

Food - The buffet food in the restaurant is fantastic, a little repetitive sometimes but I'm not complaining - there was always lots of delicious things to eat and since being home I miss the food so much! The meatballs were particularly yummy, and my boyfriend recommends the cakes! I recommend having lunch at the beach bar, the buffet selection is not as big but it's a lovely view while your eating. The waiters in the restaurant and around the hotel are very friendly, you will be allocated a table in the main restaurant for your entire stay so you'll normally have the same waiter (they work very hard - never seemed to have a day off!) - tip your waiter 1 dinar a night or every other night (roughly 50p) and they will look after you and make sure you always have a drink, hiccup! The waiters in the bar area are also very good - again a 1 dinar tip and they'll make sure your glass is never empty :-)

Beach - The beach here is lovely and clean and as it's private the staff make sure you don't get hassled by the people selling fruit/rugs/sarongs etc, though we barely got hassled at all during our stay even out in the town (this was something I'd been worried about) a simple "no thank you" and they'll normally leave you alone. There were always plenty of sunbeds available however get up early with your towels if you want a parasol - we were getting up at 7.30 every morning before breakfast to take our towels down to the beach for our favourite spot! I also recommend trying the aqua aerobics on the beach - this looked like great fun and the animation boys who arrange all the daytime activities were great and work very hard - again they never seemed to have a day off!

Pool - I was a bit disappointed by the pool - don't get me wrong it's a very nice and clean pool it just could have done with being a bit bigger - some pictures on other websites make it look deceptively bigger than it is! However we spent most of our time on the beach anyway.

The evening entertainment (as I normally find in most hotels) was a bit tacky - probably great if you have kids but it wasn't really our thing (we are a couple aged 30 and 31) but we were happy to sit in the bar drinking and playing cards, a few times we walked along the road towards Sousse.

Location - The centre of Sousse is about 20 mins walk or a short taxi ride for about £3 (taxi rank just outside the main entrance - make sure you agree on a price before you get in). During the day you can walk to Sousse along the beach. I liked that the hotel was a bit away from the main resort as it was very quiet, and the location directly on the beach was great! (I wouldn't recommend staying in a resort called Skanes - we very nearly booked a hotel here but changed our minds at the last minute - it's very far from the main resort areas and it's right next to the airport!) In the opposite direction of Sousse is the resort of Port El Kantaoui. I recommend getting a taxi to the marina (about 5/10 mins and should cost around £4) this is a lovely looking resort with a very pretty harbour, we did a catamaran trip through Thomson but I recommend booking your own privately as our boat was too full to enjoy it properly. The pirate ship trips also looked great fun, but we never got round to going on one :-(

Something else we didn't get to do was the sahara desert trip, it's an overnight trip as it's too far to travel in one day but I highly recommend it as I overheard lots of great things from other people. I really want to come back and do this!

Weather - the weather was a bit up and down towards the end of Sept, it rained a couple of times though it was still 30 degrees! We had around 4 days of sun out of 7 days, the locals said the best time to go is June - Aug for best weather, however we still got gorgeous tans in Sept!

Overall this is a fantastic hotel, I really loved it and can't wait to go back, I hear a lot of people go back here year after year and I can see why. We originally picked a different hotel but changed our minds at the last minute, we decided to pay a bit extra and stay here as it had such excellent reviews - and I'm so glad we did! Great value all inclusive hotel if you're looking for a relatively cheap getaway, and Tunisia is a lovely country - I wanted to go somewhere with a completely different culture and it didn't disappoint.

Writing this review has made me miss the hotel even more, I wish I was back there!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

This is my 7th time at Marhaba Beach Hotel. It just gets better every year....the reason we go every year is the hotel is beautiful and the staff are so kind and helpful. I booked last year and asked for a room with a pool view, unfortunatly when we arrived we didnt have one, the reception staff were very unhelpful (the hotels only let down) but after some waiting we finally got a lovely room. I was travelling with family and we were looked after to the highest standard. At the end of the holiday it feels more like friends than people who work at the hotel. We spent most days at the pool, which is stunning and well looked after.
For the first time we were all inclusive and it was well worth it. The food, like every year is varied and there is something for everyone. The services the hotel were always good, the bank, hairdresser and snack bar.
The entertainment as always was great. The animation team were a great group of boys who we enjoyed getting to know. Khaled, Myke, Sofienne, Jo, Angel, Rico and Karmin worked really hard every day. The only let down of the animation team is Choko who is in charge of animation team, he is never very friendly to the guests and never tries to very entertainment from year to year. He is the only change i would make within the animation.
All in all the holiday was great, we will be going back next year and we hope as many of the animation team and waiters are the same as this year because they are what makes our holiday special.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family