Kaiser Hotel
Hotel Marhaba Beach(Sousse)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$57
Marhaba Salem(Sousse)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$48
Hotel Medina(Sousse)(Great Value!)
US$27
  • Restaurant
Marhaba Royal Salem(Sousse)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$129
Movenpick.com
US$133
US$127
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Me and a friend stayed in the hotel for a week in later June after reading rather mixed reviews. After this time both of us agreed - you got what you paid for and more. The hotel was clean, tidy had friendly staff, a nice pool and a decent breakfast. We only went bed and breakfast so can't really comment on the food however the rest was fine. There is a Turkish hammam in the basement where you can have a massage, haircut and various other treatments as well as a gym. Some of the rooms have a sea view (albeit over buildings) and the beach is easily walkable, they have their own little section where staff prevent too much hassling from the locals. I've no doubt there are hotels of better quality in and around Sousse, but then they would have cost much much more.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ellen21Uk
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks on a half board basis. The hotel is not a luxary hotel but is fantastic value for money. The rooms are a fair size with a bath/shower, toilet and sink. We had a tv and air conditioning. The food is ok with plenty of choice and variety. The rooms are cleaned every day and you get fresh towels. The pool is a little on the small side but to be honest any sun bathing we did was on the beach. The hotel is located just a 10min walk from the beach, you just walk out of the hotel, turn right and walk to the end of the road. The medina is just a 20 min walk away. The bar and restaurant down stairs are great in the evenings for relaxing if you don't want to go out. On the whole this hotel is fantatic value for money if you want to go to the beach and explore Sousse. If you are someone who stays in and around your hotel on holiday then this hotel is not for you, however if you are just using a hotel as somewhere to eat and sleep then this hotel is definatley worth considering.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennielouManchester
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I stayed at the Kaiser from 9 May – 16 May. At a cost of £63.89 for a ‘Double/Twin Balcony/Terrace’ room with bed and breakfast for 7 days I think you have to agree without even needing to see the room that this sounds like a superb find, a tremendous deal. And it was. First things first, reading a couple of the other reviews, some people were dismayed by the Kaiser and from my stay there I can sort of understand why. The hotel is incredibly basic BUT you’re forewarned in the price you pay. More later. To the essentials:

My room was large, spacious, airy and tastefully decorated in white and clean upon arrival. Being a double it sufficiently catered for two guests, although I was alone, with two single beds, a dressing table, two bedside tables, wardrobe, suitcase seat and a TV (no remote). The curtains were plastic although didn’t look it. The room had a balcony looking over a construction site (although most of Sousse seems to be a DIY landfill or construction site with hotels and ‘apartments’, no doubt for the tourist market, being built everywhere).

The bathroom was, again, quite big with a bath and basic mixer shower attached to the wall above the bath that was desperately in need of limescaling as the water went everywhere when turned on.

After my first night I had to get them to service my room door as the handle, lock and fittings all round were so loose that even after locking the door it still looked ajar and a sneeze would have had that front door open. When I reported this the guy at the front desk insisted that I just didn’t know how to lock the door and only sent the repair guy to ‘show me how to lock it properly’. All the screws were eventually sufficiently tightened so that I could feel safe in the room and leaving the room but probably could have done with completely new fittings. This is something you should check for.

Another problem was when I returned to my room after my first day exploring Sousse is that I had to report that the bath had not been cleaned from my morning’s shower and the floor throughout the bathroom and bedroom had not been mopped. These were the only incidents and for the remaining 6 days the room and bathroom were cleaned to a satisfactory standard.

The self service buffet breakfast was rather simple but superb value with French bread, a salad of tomatoes and spring onions (you have to try the Tunisian tomatoes, they are amazing, they actually have taste, flavour. Shocking!!), Danone yogurts and Presidents soft cheese triangle spread, cereal and boiled eggs (Tunisians love their eggs) and of course the obligatory tea, coffee and a choice of 2 soft drinks. This was breakfast every morning (although there may also have been some reconstituted ‘meat’ like substance but I don’t eat meat so didn’t register it).

If you are in Tunisia to explore the country and you’ll really only sleep and shower in the hotel, the Kaiser is perfectly fine. Very good value for money. However, if the ‘hotel experience’; the beautiful surroundings, service, room, cute bathroom goodies and minibar, remote accompanying your TV, opportunity to dress up to eat in the hotel restaurant, all otherwise known as “luxury”, is a significant part of your holiday, do not stay at the Kaiser. If you only really sleep and eat breakfast in the hotel, but perhaps do not stay out late and enjoy most of the trappings of a good hotel, even if it is just a pleasant room and attractive surroundings to come back to after a hard, long day out walking about a medina, the Kaiser also may not be for you.

It is actually word ‘hotel’ that leaves those unimpressed by the Kaiser so disappointed. Think ‘Kaiser- luxury hostel’ and you’ll be closer to the mark as to what to expect with no disappointment because this is exactly what it feels like and really is.

No part of the hotel in my experience felt like a hotel, the atmosphere and clientele said hostel. The communal areas were quite neglected and worn, the large concrete staircase (which you actually never have to use and aren’t really expected to use but I like to work my legs) was home to chunks of stone and rubble for the length of my stay and the reception from the staff on at the helpdesk typically ranged from indifferent to rude with the exception of just the one man who always greeted my collecting or handing in my room key with a pleasant smile.

The corridors and hallways where the rooms were were very impersonal and not at all attractive; they looked much like the hallway of a block of council flats.

The communal area where the Hotel bar was again felt like that you would find in a hostel and the often rowdy and haggard guests added to the atmosphere of hostel.

I wouldn't reccommend to most of my friends because they like their luxury but to an explorer like myself, definately.

I believe I got tremendous value for money and have no regrets, but the key word for this accommodation is hostel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank lushberry
Reviewed 12 May 2009

What can i say. This hotel is fantastic value for money. Its clean, the beds are firm and the water pressure for the shower is brilliant. All the staff are realy helpfull and friendly. Especially young Kais, he was so eager to make sure we where having a good time. Also the spa is realy good if you want to treat yourself. May i reccomend the Hammam and body scrub done by a lovely lady called Monia. Very good value, she realy knows her stuff. The breakfast is basic but has something for everyone. This is not a luxury hotel, but what do you expect, its cheap and in Tunisia.The main road can be a little noisy occasionally, but we covered that by taking earplugs and we slept sound every night. We would definately stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank funkycookiecat
Reviewed 13 March 2009

the first tip too give when using this hotel is that the ones that work the reception arent very nice try too get room on the 5 floor better cleaners and rooms the hotel is in the centre of the nightlife and daytime activities very nice people in the restourant the food is the best ive had in all my travels i have used this hotel for 7 years now and no problems

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family