“Fabulous first couple holiday!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels

Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Derby, United Kingdom
“Fabulous first couple holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was me and my boyfriends first holiday abroad together. As he has family in Sousee, this was one of the cheapest hotels we could find in the area close enough for us to go and visit them.

We got to the hotel at 3.30 am and a porter took our bags and lead us to our room. It was very large and clean. Bathroom was large with a bath and shower over to it. Toilet was separate. Beds were comfy. 2 twins as they don’t do double beds in a lot of the hotels there. We also had a balcony which overlooked the pool and the the side you could see the sea. It wasn’t until the morning that we realised the hotel manager (who is good friends with my boyfriends dad) had upgraded us from The Jinene to The Royal Jinene. He also helped us out with other little things like giving us a Tunisian sim card to save on phone bills and paid for our lunch a few times at the hotel.

BREAKFAST- there was a wide choice of breads, croissants, pan au chocolat, eggs and turkey sausages. There was also (unusual for breakfast) an array of salads. They also did fruits, melon, grapes and the chef cooked pancakes in front of you and eggs how you asked.
LUNCH- we mostly ate lunch at the hotel. We were half board and so had to pay for our lunches which was very cheap! A pizza was 6 dinar which is less than £3.00. Bottled drinks, fanta, coke, lemonade and large bottles of water were all 2 dinar which is about 80p.
DINNER- mixture of different meats every night, turkey, chicken, veal, lamb, fish, potatos, couscous, mixture of different salads. The 2 chefs would also be out cooking something for people in front of them each night too. Always something different like steaks, veal in wine sauce, chicken stew, fish,. Pudding was ice cream, water melon, cakes, mousse. Drinks weren’t provided at dinner time but the water would come and take your order. I had half a bottle of rose most night which was 7 dinar. Less than £3.50.

The pool wasn’t very busy. Also able to get a sunbed and table. There was a Lifeguard at the pool which enjoyed pushing people in when they weren’t looking! 4 workers who entertained the kids with darts, golf. They also did a daily aqua aerobics class on often took people out to the beach to play volleyball.

ACTIVITIES- We went quad biking which was fun but ended up in my boyfriend being driven to a doctors house to have stitches without and anaesthetic! His breaks packed in as we were going down a steep hill! We went on banana boats, fly fish , jet skis and had a great time. If you are planning on doing water sports try to go with the same people each time as they do recognise you and give you cheaper prices! The water park (Aqua Palace) is a 5 dinar taxi drive away. It cost 20 dinars to get in and 2 for a locker. There are lots of slides and a big waves pool. There are also sun beds and places to eat there too. All very cheap. Fair ground at Port El Kantaoui. Free to get in. You have to buy tickets with are 1 dinar each. Each ride requires a different amount of tickets. E.g. The main roller coaster cost 7 tickets. There are also some very nice shops there too, also plenty of places to eat and drink.

Medina- We got a taxi from outside the hotel to the Medina (5 DINAR). It is very nice. Little market shops. Everyone tries to get you into their shop but its all part of the fun. The further you go in the seedier it gets however so beware!

Taxis- driving around everywhere. Make sure you agree on a price before you get in. We paid no more than 6 dinar to the Medina in Sousee or to Port El Kantoui. After 9 o’clock they say its price and a half but still after 9 it was never more than 7 dinar.

The beach which is a 2 minute walk down a path from the hotel is very clean. It has sun loungers all the way up for use free of charge. We thought it would be nice to go for a swim at night time but quickly changed our minds when the jelly fish decided to attack us. Weren’t dangerous ones. Just made us a bit itchy for a few minutes.

The hotel has a VIP area which does massages, manicures and has a small gym. This seemed very expensive. The gym had 5 pieces of equipment and was 20 dinar to use for the day. A 10 minute walk down to beach to the Marhaba and there was a gym there everyone is able to use. It was a lot bigger and only 5 dinar. They also have a nice indoor pool which is open to everyone. Not just the hotel guests.

We would definitely come back to this hotel. All the staff are helpful and make you feel very welcome. The area we were in had everything we were looking for and at a perfect price for us. We really recommend it.

Room Tip: We didnt know till towards the end of our stay that the Royal Jinene have suites. We were shown one...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank naomi_edwards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dresden, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

I have been staying in Royal Jinene in July 2011 for 7 nights. The hotel was rated as 4 star by the travel agency, however, one should know that hotels do not have an influence on how many stars the tour operators give a hotel when advertising them, so its not their fault. In reality, I would suggest that 3 stars are fine, but it is not a four star hotel.

I arrived late at night and was starving due to the food suppliers have been on strike, so no meals on the plane. The hotel could not provide me with a snack which was a bit of a pitty, but I was given a complementary bottle of water so that was alright. The room was absolutely fine and did not look dated at all, unlike previous reviews indicated. Of course do not expect luxury, but you dont need to since you will be spending most of your time outside anyway. Most importantly, the room was clean and serviced properly. However, the doors need some sound proofing. Every morning at around 8/9am the housekeeping would start their work, banging doors & talking loudly, so you may have difficulties sleeping in. At first I thought it was other guests, but it actually were the cleaning ladies as I observed them banging doors. The ladies are very nice and always friendly, but either management instructs them to be more quiet or put some rubber seals or something on the door.

About the beach, I cannot say anything negative. Yes, it is small, but the hotel provides sun lounges and lots of space, I never saw all lounges occupied. The beach bar (self-service) is very close, so its all good. However, the restrooms by the beach are not in the best condition and does not have toilette paper at all times which was a bit annoying. The pool was quite busy at all times, but I preferred the beach as it is more quiet there, so i dont have much to say about that.

The food - i was positively surprised about the quality as I have seen negative reviews on this. Especially the salads are evry nice and the cold section is extensive. The warm dishes consist of both local and international dishes as well as a live station. However, after a few days you may find the selction a bit repetative and get bored of it. However, the quality is alright - dont listen to the moaning people here. It surely is not haut cuisine but this is also not what you would expect. If you want luxury you gotta pay for it.
The all inclusive system works without problems - unfortunately not the case in the majority of AI hotels.

The staff was generally very friendly and helpful. Especially the door men and reception staff. During your stay you get an assigned table in the restaurant, often you will share with other couples. However, I was on my own - which was obviously unusual to the staff. At the beginning I was moved around every night and whenever I went to look for my table they have switched it somewhere else - very annoying. After a few days, they sorted that out, and its not worth making a big deal out of it. The service in the restaurant is okay, but lacks speed when its busy, which is understandable since there is not a lot of staff. I was holding managerial positions in this field, so I would never complain if I can see the reasons for it. Again, in 4 star properties I would expect more (greeting by name, remembering preferred drinks, etc.) but most importantly, the waiters are friendly and try hard to be as fast and attentive as possible. For your last dinner you usually get a nicely decorated table with a good-bye greeting...its a nice touch, however for me they did not put it/forgot it, which is cool with me because I was on my own anyway, so no need to be romantic ;)
In the bar, there is usually not much going on. only few people having a beer in the evening. What i found a bit of a pitty is that, despite the bar staff dont have much to do, they dont approach you to take a drink order but you have to go to them. That not exactly what I perceive as service, which is the backbone of this industry.

In conclusion: you will not find many important things to complain about, if you are aware that you are not going to a 4/5 star hotel. It is of good 3-star quality but not more than that. If you want something you need to ask for it - anticipating needs is not really happening. I had a relaxing holiday there (except the door banging). The staff is friendly and most of them are trying hard, the room is nice and appropriate at that price level, the guests are well behaved (mostly french, russian, locals and a few germans when I was there) and food quality is good. If you want to find something to complain about, you will find it - but there is no need to really go crazy about it. Rather enjoy your stay and dont let small things spoil it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank DDNO21
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

barter 4 everything as its always over priced taxi everywhere as it cheap as chips or the noddy train, hotel staff very friendly, rooms big and spacious, towels changed every. Take a kettle as this was the only down side we found as there is no tea or coffee facilities in rooms as we only went half board. Pool area was very clean and plenty of sun beds available, activities through the day was a good laugh could not do anything for laughing, all in all a good clean hotel would definitely go back.

Room Tip: ask nicely
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Kiev
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Opted for all inclusive holiday. Food was OK. Restaurant and entertainment staff were great. Cleaners and reception staff OK. The hotel and its connected sister-hotel has 4 bars. The beach and pool bar staff were great. Unfortunately, all the staff (except one) in the main bars were surly, rude, lazy, constantly demanding money. We felt very uncomfortable asking for a drink and even witnessed one of the barman throw a drink into the face of a customer. We would never return because of this 'minority' of really awful people.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels

glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

just back yesterday from a fantastic week in royal jinene, 2 females staying half board. Arrived about 8.30pm, given dinner and then helped to room with cases, porter didn't ask for tip. On arrival at airport porter helped with cases & put his hand out for tip, gave him £2 as had no dinars, he said no he wanted £5, told him no, it is only 2 minutes from airport to bus, best to just take own case. Breakfast was the same every day, cereal, salad, scrambled eggs, sausages, beans, breads, cheese, boiled eggs, chef is there to make omolete, fried eggs & pancakes. Dinner was different each night, plenty to choose from, very nice. It is very cheap to eat & drink outside the hotel, nice Italian restaurant 10mins walk away to the left of hotel & restaurant & cheap supermarket 10 mins walk away right from hotel. All staff in hotel are really nice & very friendly, can't do enough to help you. Hotel is very clean, towels changed everyday, staff don't expect tips but are very grateful for 1 dinar here and there. Local people are really friendly too, always saying hello & asking if you are ok. Only buy trips from tour operator, don't take free bus to medina from man in hotel, he takes you to a carpet & leather shop. Hotel is full of people who have been going to hotel for years & we will be joining them in returning. People on trips where complaining about there hotels, everyone at jinene where very happy with service. Hope this helps, don't be put off with any negative reviews, it's only as good as you make it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank christinel22
Portsmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

Went 2 weeks Half board . Was put in royal Jinene as Jinene resort was closed .
Been to Tunisia 4 times , not the best hotel .
building of new apartments going on just out the front of hotel .
Food was very nice . Bar was okay bit empty with very few guests due to the problems there .
Went with thomas cook who had nothing on ( thomson did though )
Room's were cleaned but took a while as they just used to leave rooms un made and just out fresh towels in , untill asked .
The hotel is an okay size , indoor pool very nice and warm didn't try the outdoor pool . Lifts can be a little slow .
A little walk up towards any shops . We had no entertainment on during the 2 weeks apart from one night a man putting a pot on his head not really entertainment really lol .
So watched films on the tv in the room in evenings . Didn't go out after 8pm as many people got robbed .

I advise Not to do to the MEDINA unless on a tour as I have been may times and I myself got robbed .

Plenty of tings to do down and near the port .

ALSO WATCH your luggage when going home as monistar airport is closing soon , as enfield one is opening in Tunisia many people had their luggae opened and bits missing happened to mine and around 50-60 others that where on same flight .

Really dissapointing ad they have lost 2 people that go 2 times a year and spend at least 1000 pounds between us each time .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank benaholland
Burnley, Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

I loved every minute at this hotel!!
The staff are lovely, and fall over to be helpful and make you feel welcome.
Beware of the guy selling the trip to the camel Caravan as it is just as it says a piece of waste ground with a Donkey, Camel & Horse. Also the man selling you free transport to the medina..... the taxi took us straight to his families shop where we were offered coffee and a chance to sit and make a hand made carpet, then onto the leather shop. This is really hard sell and not for the faint of heart. I consider myself to be quite a strong woman and not afraid to say "Push off " but they did not understand the word NO!!
Anyway enough of what seems like all negatives.........
The room was clean, and the cleaner was very thorough. The food was not amazing but was clean & Plentiful. The Entertainment team Mario & Ahmed were lovely and really good fun.
The quiet bar was taken excellent care of and the guys were attentive and really went the extra mile.
My advice to you...... What ya waiting for, Get on the plane!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010