“Fantastic time”

Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic time”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say about the royal jinene hotel. I will start by saying ignore all of the bad reviews the staff were all amazing and helpful, one tooth around the pool was so nice and helpful an so was the entertainment guys throughout the day especially Joe. The food was really tasty and the staff in the dining area were so nice. I would highly recommend the massage package that they have for 100 dinar it lasts about 2.5 hours which includes a lovely 50 minute massage at the end. All of the staff are on really poor wages as you would expect so if you give them the odd tips now and again it is really appreciated. You do not get a full English breakfast but I would recommend the omelettes they are gorgeous. I think the only let down is the drinks they only have 2 spirits booka and this other nasty tasting drink. The lager is very nice though but not sure about the coffee cups they serve it in. We got our own drink on the plane and the staff behind the bar were happy to serve us that. Would I go back there ? Yes I would we had a wonderful time and was made that way by all the good staff that they have got there. Thank you to all for a great holiday.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Having just arrived back from a 10 day all inclusive holiday this is what we found....

Rooms spacious and cleaned daily, bedding clean daily, towels changed every other day, had a sea view (and was woken at 3.30am most days by the local cockerel) set table for all meals which is good as can get rather busy at times, food was repetitive but cooked well, not much catering for the English but never went hungry.
Drinks were served in very small glasses and cups, only limited choice of red/white wine, beer and 2 local liquor's.
Every one expects to be tipped....!!!! BEWARE OF THE AIRPORT PORTERS !!!!!!! there is a large notice up to say if you tip then no more than 3/4 Dinar....but they were DEMANDING ENGLISH NOTES ONLY......tell them to sod off....!!!

Finally after praising AND TIPPING the maid who came to us all the time we were there I found out on the plane coming back that she had STOLEN £10 out of my purse that was left in my bag which was hidden under clothing in the back of the wardrobe.....thankfully that was all that was in my purse as they cannot exchange coins so they were of no use to her...my advise is if you are going then use the safe facilities

Ooh sorry just 2 more points....the massages were EXCELLENT and the lads doing the entertainment were HILARIOUS they did a fab job with what they were given to work with, will have you in stitches. ...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank karenmarkdawes d
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

we arrived at the jinene sunday 27th of april on arrival we was given our key and not told where the room was :@ room was good and spacious exept it needed a god hoover as the missus says. most of the staff where brilliant yo have a set table where you dine all week which was good. the food was good for first few days but you can only have the same thing over and over for so long before it gets boring.
we went on an excursion every day i found that booking with the guys round the pool i could haggle them down and managed to get many of them nearly half the price the rep wanted.

the hotel was mainly full of dutch french and german people but i didnt mind as i speak to anyone was quiet a laugh after a few cocktails and beers attempting conversation in the bar.

if you want a cheap all inclusive relaxing holiday with great weather i would recommend coming here dont expect 5 star but the hotel was really good for the price

Room Tip: if you want wifi in your room ask for room 102, 103 or 108 as we found in our room 108 we could get...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1Roberto1986
rotterdam
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We booked this hotel very cheap at a hotel website. After reading the mixed reviews i didnt know what to expect. We stayed here for 7 days half board.
Check inn was very quick and very friendly my husband is from Tunisia but the man behind the desk also could speak English.
The roomsize was good with 3 beds with clean sheets. They were changed every day.
The towels were also changed every day.
In the dinning room you got the same table every day which we found ok.
Breaksfast was till 09.30 which was great so we didnt have to get up too early. There was plenty and something for everybody. All sorts of bread, yoghurt, cereals, you could ask a cook to make an omlet. There was really plenty not what happens in many hotels when you are a bit later there is not much left.
At dinner time there was also plenty and something for everybody fish, chicken, meat and lots of veg.
They had a great sweet corner with little cayks, some cream stuff which was marvelous and fruit.
The people who were selling the trips are a nuisance. As soon as my daughter and I were walking around they would talk to you they would move away quickly as soon as my husband came. We had a good laugh about that.
Would we stay in this hotel again we all 3 would say Yes.
We stayed in the Jinene Resort and not the Royal.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony. We had a look at the other rooms without but they were very dark.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank robijntje
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Arrived at the Royal Jineane after a long day and gave the guy on the counter my confirmation email from expedia, he stared at it for a while without saying anything then asked us how we booked the rooms. We explained it was online using expedia and he didn't seem to understand. He then disappeared into the back room for a while and then returned saying that they hadn't received payment and that we would have to pay again and we would get 2 rooms instead of 3. We argued for a while saying that the rooms were prepaid, but it seemed (although he wouldn't tell us outright) that they didn't have the reservation from expedia. We gave up and paid the expedia rate that was on our confirmation email (even though this was more than the price of two rooms as displayed on the hotel counter). The next few days we showed them more emails from expedia confirming that yes, our accommodation was prepaid in the hope that they would perhaps contact expedia to confirm, but they just said it was our problem. We asked if we could call expedia from the hotel counter phone and they said we could, but it would cost about $4/minute for an international call and suggested we go use the pay-phone down the street as it would be cheaper. We did that and and after being on hold for ages and continually topping up the credit we got through to an expedia support person who was able to contact the hotel to confirm that they had also charged us. The Expedia operator (who was very helpful and friendly, especially in comparison to the hotel staff) then organised the amount paid to be refunded onto my credit card.

In addition to the mix-up with the booking we found the Royal Jineane to be very poorly run in general. There seemed to be little communication between staff and it was very difficult to get a straight answer out of anyone, particularly the people on the front counter. Everything had to be referred back to "the chief" - the boss who never seemed to be there. The day before checkout we put some laundry in and was told by the man at the front counter that it would be ready by 7 or 730 am the next morning. We were leaving at 7, but thought if we were delayed 30mins it wouldn't be a problem. The next morning at 7 we asked the lady at the front counter if the laundry was ready and she told us it wouldn't be ready until 10am. We explained that we were leaving now so needed it back (whether it was ready or not). She called up laundry and it was delivered to us still dirty. We were just happy to be leaving the hotel so collected it and left.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank j0f017
mohsen192, Manager at Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
we read with interset the above comment and we are really sorry for the disturb...
we make an investigation with reception staff..and we have notice that we don't
have contract with expedia since 2 years..no reservation received for this guest
but we accept him and give him a room...
for the laundry..it takes 24 hours to be returned ..no sens to give one day before
departure..thank you for your understanding..

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I spent 9 days here, all inclusive from 11th - 20th April for a great price. On arrival, I asked if I could possibly have a pool or sea view. I was given room 508 in the Royal Jinene which had views of both! It was a bright and spacious room with 3 single beds and a good sized bathroom. Speaking to people staying in the Jinene, they said their rooms were dated and quite dark so try and get into the Royal.
The food in the restaurant was lovely with plenty of choice for everyone. An earlier review on here complained about being made to sit at the same table for each meal - personally, I preferred doing this as your table was always prepared and ready for you. Arriving at our table for our last dinner before going home, we found it had been decorated with flowers and a candle to wish us 'farewell'.
I found all the staff here to be friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them.
My friend used the Spa on 3 occasions for massages, and body scrubs etc and said it was fantastic.
I have 2 negatives to report and they are the drinks and the entertainment. As mentioned in previous reviews, the 'all inclusive' drinks consist of beer, wine, soft drinks and 2 spirits - Boukha and Citradene. As I always buy vodka at the airport, it didn't cause me a problem (and tbh, some spirits in foreign hotels don't always taste very nice). I did drink the Boukha (which I thought tasted a bit like Jack Daniels) mixed with Fanta orange. Also, the glasses they serve drinks in are very small.
The entertainment was quite poor (although at least there was some). The animation guys were fantastic though and tried hard with their limited resources. They had darts competitions in the afternoon but little else during the day. Maybe they expand their daytime entertainment programme during the peak season? The evening entertainment consisted mostly of 'sketches' performed by the 2 animation guys and there was also a belly dancer and a sword show.
Yes, I'm sure there are much better hotels in Tunisia, but for the price I paid, I thought it was brilliant value for money and I had a great holiday. Looking at other reviews, I have come to the conclusion that some people just love to moan, or was I just lucky when I went??

Room Tip: Ask for a sea/pool view in the Royal Jinene
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Caron105
we notice with pleasure that our guest is happy in general..the room spacious and bright
for the food plenty of choice..prefer to have the same table and last day decoration and
farwell wish..the staff are friendly and helpful..the spa fantastic..these are good points..
but for the 2 negative points..drinks not only beer-wine-soft drinks-2 spirits but also coffee-
tea- water-coktails and 3 wine red,rosé,white..drinks are served from 10 to 24...for the very
small glasses it concern the spirits..we have Entertainment team with daily and night
program for adults and kids..
we accept any correct comment and we try always to improve our services...
Reviewed 8 April 2014

After booking this hotel I read the reviews and was very apprehensive about going as we had booked for 1 month from 7/3 till 4/4 . We were there with most of these people who have put in the more recent reviews . On the 1st day we told Mr Fritz no and he never bothered us again, On arrival at the hotel I asked for a Sunny Balcony and although they had prepared another room for us they prepared a room with the sunny Balcony for us . The food through out our stay was good . Each day we had at least 3 choices from Beef Turkey Chicken or Veal plus a fish dish and also Pasta . Sweets were mostly cakes and a creamy angel delight type . Some times there were Pancakes and Ice Cream so not sure why Egg and chips was the only option . I heard some comments on about nothing for the children to eat . My children ate the same as the rest of the family and did not have to have special food when they were young . Hotel was clean staff were freindly and room cleaner on 4th floor was great . We had a great waiter ( Ben ) Oh and just in case you are wondering we gave no tips out until the day we left. Would we go back again YES .
For price we paid I doubt if we would have got a week bed and breakfast in Blackpool so it was great value for money . I would like to say a great big thank you to all the staff at this hotel for a great holiday and we look forward to returning .

Room Tip: At this hotel you have to choose a room with a Sunny Balcony or Full Sea view you cannot have both...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gillian s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Marhaba Salem
#8 of 35 in Sousse
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#14 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels? Share your experiences!