“good holiday in very good price.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orient Palace Hotel

Orient Palace Hotel
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Krakow, Poland
“good holiday in very good price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I'm surprised reading all these bad opinions about Orient Palace. Strange that most of them are written by British. I talked to other Polish, Russian and German clients of the hotel and most of them were satisfied like me. Of course when you come to Tunisia in the middle of high touristic season you have to be prepared for many unconveniences: the long time of waiting for check in, full hotel and no posibility to change the room, many arabic hotel guests and some problems in the restaurants, bars and beach (if you expect "royal" service you have to come before or after "high" season).This year I came back to this hotel for the second time (my first visit there - 10 years ago). Many things have been changed in Tunisia and in this hotel (officially it has now only 4* and not 5* any more, so why people still expect 5*level ??? and also the price is very cheap !!!), but one thing didn't change: warm and polite staff, always eager to help. We met there our good friend from the past - Sabri who work in animation and thanks to him and other people from the old staff we spent nice time in warm, family atmosphere. Probably we will come back to this hotel, but next time sure after the summer season.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ewa M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Camberley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Worst holiday we have ever had and by far the worst all inclusive of the four we have done. Was told this had lost all it's star's which was no surprise, certainly not higher than 2*. Arrived late (2 1/2 hour delay) and put in room 485. Fridge didn't work and AC poured water all over floor when turned on. No drinks or toilet paper, carpet was sticky and the towels were filthy. Complained and was told we needed to come down to get water and that room was only temporary for us that night. Good job we hadn't unpacked.
Next day didn't get new room until 12.00, and that was still dirty when we went to it. (Saw we were on a list of at least 15 rooms where people had asked to change).
No soap and no drinks in fridge for two days and 3 complaints later. I could have written paula h "avoid at all costs" myself as our experience was almost identical.
Cleaning of the room wasn't part of the chamber maids skills, as she must have devoted her time to rifling through our bags. Luckily everything of importance was in the safe so nothing was missing.
Reception was manned by incompetents who told you any old rubbish so they did not have to deal with you. Only decent one was the guy who did money exchange. There is absolutely no management standards at this hotel at all, which is why the place is so dirty and badly run.
I usually eat anything, but, this was just slop and the same slop every day. Never had omelette as queue always too long, and the chef couldn't cook for more than one person at a time. We paid to eat out 3 times so we had something decent to eat. We then didn't have to put up with the Russians, Libyans, and Moroccans piling their plates as high as possible to see how much they could leave after they had finished troughing.
Beach was always packed and dirty. Pool beds were also always packed, although pool guys did put white towels on chairs so that they could then take them off and make out they had found you beds!!
Sousse as a place was disgustingly dirty with litter everywhere. We went on a trip for 2 days and the smell of sewage was disgusting when we drove back in from the countryside. Being away from the hotel for two days was the highlight of our holiday visiting the 3 deserts.
Would never go back to Tunisia again as everyone we spoke to on plane seemed to have issues even those who had visited before.
It's a shame as some of the country we visited was lovely. Orient Palace will just ruin your time there if you are mad enough to stay there. Have already put in complaint to Thomas Cook and may not be using them again either!! Glad we only stayed for 1 week.

Room Tip: Don't have a room facing car park as you will be woken by the fights from the nightclub. Sea fac...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve M

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Newhaven, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We returned yesterday from what was meant to be a wonderful break in Tunisia. This is our third trip to Tunisia so we knew the Tunisian people. What a Nightmare. We were expecting a 5* hotel that from the photos looked amazing. On arrival what a nightmare Our room wasn't ready so we were asked to have our lunch. 31/2 hours later we still had no room. On numerous trips into the Managers office. He finally gave us another room which he took us to himself. Which guess what wasn't ready. By now we have lost our first day, and our suitcases were still not with us. Unhappy was an understatement. The hotel is very tired. Dirty carpets, lifts working when they wanted to being on the 4th floor this wasn't great. Our plugs in our room were not working. exposed wires. Only two towels in our room for three days when their was three of us was not acceptable. The reception staff were absolutely useless. I requested toilet roll as our room had not been cleaned., After waiting two and a half hours I got cross and phoned the reception and shouted within 10 minutes it arrived. So obviously being polite gets you no where. Food is reheated and bought out the next day and seeing the Russians, Algerians and the locals filling their plates is like watching pigs round a trough. If you do not hold your own you would starve. Food is very poor and the same everyday. We are not fussy people but this was dire. We will be speaking to our travel agent as we have been told the hotel has been striped of its stars and is waiting for the Tunisian travel board to re assess . The gym was closed for the first three days and my teenage son wanted to use it. He finally got three days in there but had to walk through the building repairs and wet paint to get to it. The area was being refurbished so the sound of drilling and banging was nice when you are trying to relax in the sun. Fridge was not restocked as It was meant to. The restaurants you were meant to get your free al a carte meals in were only being used if you paid extra so you had to eat your al a carte in the wooden shack called la Dune. There was no evening entertainment and the animation team apparently had not been paid so all I saw was a bit of water polo and two darts games in a week nothing in the evening at all. The only thing that was positive was the staff as they are doing all they can with what they have got which isn't a lot. I have never been all inclusive where they run out of drinks at 8.30 pm. One day I couldn't even get a bottle of still water. We always go All inclusive and have never ever been to such a horrendous hotel. Please do not go..... All the English people we meet at the hotel had similar experiences as us. do not waste your money going here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank paula h
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

PLEASE BE AWARE- STAFF are writing the good reviews! Notice how all the 'amazing' and most recent reviews about this place all mention the Animation Team and have only reviewed this one hotel. Believe me, the only reason you would go to the effort of setting up an account to review this hotel would be to warn people NOT TO GO!!!!

I am the type of traveller who is happy with a 2* hotel as long as its clean and I get fresh towels/bedding. So please don't see this as a typical 'moaning' Brit review.

Stayed in the Orient Palace with my fiancée. This presented an issue on arrival as those on reception could not understand why two females would wanted a double room. Feeling vulnerable at this point we insisted it was just a room together that we wanted. Not in fact the double room that had been requested from our booking agent. Homosexuality if you were unaware is illegal in Tunisia.

Problems:

Arrived at 2.05pm (check in 2pm) but told to return 30 minutes later as room wasn’t ready.
We should have actually checked in at 10.30am but didn't due to a delayed flight
Given no information about 'All inclusive'
No towels or toilet roll in room (Had to ask twice for these) Arrived 6 hours later.
Power cut on first day- no Air Con, no hot water. This continued throughout the week
Private beach was full of rubbish.
Turned away at numerous bars as these were not included in AI option.
Poor drinks selection
When asking for 'cocktail' there were no options to choose from. You got what you were given.
All drinks given in plastic cup.... this is fine but most of the time the cup was only half full.
It seems staff here forgot that 'All Inclusive' guest have paid before they have arrived at the hotel.

Now for the main Restaurant: AKA 'The Canteen'

Food was cold (Due to power cut) and in my opinion UNSAFE to eat.
Selection was poor.
Food wasn't properly labelled. God help you if you have a nut allergy.
Witnessed on several occasions 'guest' using their fingers to taste selection of food.
Also witnessed 'guest' using serving spoons to taste and then returning theses to the dish for the next guest to use.
45-1hour wait to order eggs for breakfast although it was the safest thing to eat.
Had to ask everyday for plates/ cups and cutlery every day
The only time you got a 'clean' table was at the very start of service after this waiters would turn the table cloth over sit you down at a table with clearly visible 'grease'/ food stains.
Given dirty napkins
Drinks were poor: Ordered a lemonade in which I am certain was mixed with some sort of detergent fluid. In fairness it was the cleanest thing I had been presented with all week!!! But can only imagine was very unsafe to drink.
It was clear (No wrists bands) that the locals were coming into this hotel to eat. I can only describe feeding time like a scene from the 'Hunger Games' people were pushing and we witnessed 3 disagreements between 'paying' and 'non paying' guest. It was like everyman for himself!!!
Also witnessed people taking piles of food to tables and then placing these in containers to take away from hotel.

Non of the above was challenged by 'Management!!!'

Al a carte restaurants, although were far cleaner and a better service than the canteen it was still the same food available from the main restaurant.

The room:
Staff were taking our drinks from the mini bar.
Staff were drinking our drinks from the mini bar and returning half empty
Full mini bar consisted of 2 fizzy drinks and a bottle of water
Room was dated (again fine) I am not there to sit in my hotel room however stains, thick black hair and cracks in walls were not what I would expect of a hotel that claims to be a 5*
Our room was over looking the exit of nightclub (At approx 4am each day I would wake due to the noise of around 50+ people leaving.... followed by car horns, fighting, and police sirens.
Again had to ask for toilet roll and fresh towels.

The pool area:
I did not see the pool being cleaned once.
I often felt I was on a club 18-30 experience.... Loud music from 10am through to 5pm daily. Fine if that is what I was looking for from a holiday, I wasn’t.
Animation team in my opinion were poor. Nothing was ever translated in English and staff looked totally disengaged.
Building work carried out daily- drilling and hammering
Indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna closed

We spoke to another couple who had witnessed a stabbing on their first day. They chose to leave the hotel as they had also encountered the same problems as above but at a further cost themselves. We also witnessed two fights during the evening on the resort. Apparently there was security on site but we failed to see any presence during our stay.

Now for the positives:

CHECKING OUT!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at home.....
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SLH847
Almere, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel in July. Although the hotel was a little dated and the food was repetitive, I have had a lovely time there with my 2 year old and my mother. Our seaview room (345) was clean and had enough space. It was also situated across the open air disco so in the evening we could hear the loud music but for us that was not a problem. We slept well anyway. It is true that a lot of Russian people stay in this hotel but to us they were very nice and they did not bother us. The first days of our stay we had some difficulties to get a table in the restaurant because they wanted to save the table for the guests that give a lot of tips and some waiters were rude but after a few days they got to know us and that wasnt a problem anymore. The pool was big and clean and not crowded and my daughter enjoyed it very much. She also enjoyed the dancing every evening in the kids disco.

I have read some reviews about paying extra for the drinks but we never had to pay for drinks or food. If you want to be sure that your Coke or Fanta has enough bubbles, get your drinks in the bar nearby the reception.

As you can see there are some good and some bad things to say about this hotel. For us, the people working in the hotel made everything right. Imed (Ben) and Rim of the animation team, Aymen of the restaurant, Ben the waiter, Ali and Anur of the swiming pool, Mohamed of Ali Baba and a lot of other people. Each in their own way, they made our stay in the hotel a succes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sfax, Tunisia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

we were very disappointed with this hotel, me and my wife, we were badly received by the reception namely a woman called Khadija. We really felt unwelcome as she was investigating unnecessary details in a very impolite way, if I didn't pay the money to the agency before I come, I would have immediately left the hotel. She was asking us silly questions and asked for a marriage contract to proof that we were married ! I don't know if she asks all the tourists if they are married or if they are gays or lesbians... It might be a new procedure for this hotel, especially for non Western tourists so if you are local or look non European (Algerian, Libyan,…etc ) most probably you won’t be welcome, unless maybe you bring a marriage contract with you.
The rest of the stay was even worse:
1-In all the halls there is no air conditioning, including the reception hall (They try to save money by switching off the AC), leaving people sweating.
2-The AC in the room is very weak,it is either broken or they decrease the setting to save more money.
3-The food is below average and not varied, sometimes not proper for eating (rotten tomatoes), water served in the restaurant at breakfast time is tap water not mineral one and tastes solvent.
4-The room has old furniture some are almost broken, the TV is an out dated model and the remote control doesn't work.(I attached photos of the room, you can see the disaster).
5-The pool is dirty.
6-Nobody answers the phone when you call the reception.
7-In the reception hall some local boys speaking fancy English try to flirt with young ladies,
harassing them till they leave the hall, those guys come either from outside the hotel, they should know someone (the watchman maybe) who let them enter to do so, or they might be Algerian who filled the hotel as they compensate for the lack of western tourists.
8-Internet/WiFi doesn't work in the rooms.
9-Personnel is fine, except for some in the reception, at the restaurant you can feel the pressure on them as there are only few waiters serving hundreds of people and striving to satisfy them. The boss of the hotel should hire more people and he is the one to be blamed, for sure he should have saved a lot of money now.
Finally do not waste extra money buying drinks or extra food from the hotel it is way too expensive compared to what you can buy outside the hotel in good restaurants nearby or shopping supermarkets namely 'Monoprix' near the Kantawi port (30 minutes walk).
I have been in better hotels in Tunisia having better services and much better quality even with less stars, my advice to you is to look for newly build hotels.
The only thing you can enjoy is the natural beach.

Room Tip: The AC is not working properly avoid west oriented rooms, the sun makes them hotter. In all cases th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank A_RKS877
Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Never ever have I stayed in a hotel like that , if I'd have known before I'd have not travelled at all , if your thinking of going there , think again, it's awful , I don't usual complain but I thought its better to warn people of this , no electric , a/c during certain times of day , or hot water , restaraunt more like a free for all poor very poor , staff attitude ignorant , over populated with Russians in the hotel aggressive and drunk , never known a hotel like it , don't stay on the beach view side hotel next door has music on loud til late and it's loud , room door didnt lock to to outside balcony dangerous if you have kids , or just security of door , il never go again ,

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Tunisia14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Hotel Vendome El Ksar Resort & Thalasso
#21 of 35 in Sousse
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#15 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Orient Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!