“Very good value and lovely place”

Hotel Vendome El Ksar Resort & Thalasso
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
west midlands
“Very good value and lovely place”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We travelled as a family of age range from 5 to 62. Hotel was very clean and then most amazing beach ever! Pool areas were clean and every day there was a good range of food. Staff very helpful and great with kids. Would definitely return to this hotel again and please if you are listening to bad reviews, just have an open mind and enjoy your holiday!! We took out children camel riding, horse riding, quad biking, para sailing, boat trips etc and everything was run smoothly and efficiently and great value for money ... Well done El Ksar :)

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
nottingham
Reviewed 29 August 2012

When we arrived at the hotel our faces dropped!! It looked like a prison from the outside not a hotel. We were told by the reception staff that if we wanted a sea room view we would have to pay an extra £100 per room, per week, costing an extra £400 (2x rooms x 2 weeks) on top of the £3456 we had already spent on the holiday. We refused to pay this.
We were then taken to our rooms by a porter who did a very good impression of Basil Fawlty as he tried to jump on the HUGE COCK ROACHES that were dancing around in the lift. He was as frightened of the cockroaches as we were and kept running out of the lift when they advanced towards him. This would have been very funny had it not been the beginning of our holiday from hell after a very exhausting journey.
Worst faced us when we finally got to our rooms. The rooms were filthy. Dirty floors, damp musty smell, cracked tiles in the bath rooms, dilapidated furniture, leaking toilet which had urine and excrement from the last guest still in it, mattresses that should have been burnt years ago. My partner and I did not sleep in the beds that night; we sat on the balcony until day light. I told the children to sleep on top of the beds and to keep their clothes on, as I was afraid that they may have caught something if they had slept in the beds.
The next morning we complained to our Thomas Cook representative, Louis, and insisted that he inspected the rooms. He agreed that the rooms were substandard and after speaking to the hotel managers got us moved to a family suite. This was of a reasonable standard, but unfortunately we were only able to stay in this room for 8 hours before the air conditioning fell in, dripping water and oil onto us. We were then moved to another room which was of a similar standard to our first room. BY THIS TIME IT WAS DAY THREE OF OUR HOLIDAY AND WE HAD NOT SLEPT OR UNPACKED.
During this time we also had the opportunity of experiencing the rest of the hotel. The whole place was dingy and in bad repair. The carpets were dirty, skirting boards and lights hanging off the walls in the corridors., no air conditioning in the reception or dining rooms, toilets around the resort were filthy, often having no toilet paper or hand wash, wild cats pestered guests for food in the outside dining areas, often jumping up on the table whist guest ate, flies continuously buzzed around guest heads and on uncovered food in the dining room and pool bar areas.
Our Rep told us that the 4* rating was based on the facilities that the hotel had to offer and not the quality of rooms, service or food. We do not think that this should be the case but even if it is the facilities of this hotel need to be seriously reviewed! I will review it for you:
• No free sun beds, you have to bribe the pool staff with 10 dinars to obtain a sun bed.
• Indoor pool was closed.
• Disco bar- empty with no staff.
• Gym, all equipment broken
• Evening entertainment- not available unless you were Moslem
• Tennis courts so overgrown, impossible to play on.
• Jungle Park- over grown and out of service
• Cabaret- provided by hotels children's entertainers
The facilities at the Karthago El Ksar looked fantastic in your brochure and that was why we booked it. But in reality it was nothing like this and has been grossly misrepresented and very disappointing.

The food was disgusting. Lunches and dinners were poor, often food was cold and the same food was served up for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Vegetable stew that had been left over from dinner on the previous night was being served up for breakfast and the cereal looked like rabbit food! My daughter and I and other guests we met all experienced sickness and other gastro related problems.
There was no service and we had to queue for drinks that were limited to one per person. The bar staff were rude and insulting if we wanted a few for your family. After queuing for a long time we were given flat drinks with no ice in cheap tiny plastic cups. . There are no ice creams or lollies available in the day. Bottles of water were limited to one bottle per room (for 2 people) per day, definitely not enough in 46 degrees temperature.
This Hotel is run by a conspiracy of greedy staff who insisted on tips before they give customer service; you have to pay them to look after you! It was well known by other guests that the only way of obtaining a sun bed was by paying the pool staff 10 Dinar. The staff were rude but we were told by our rep that it was Ramadan and the staff at the hotel would be very hungry and would be likely to be short tempered with guests! We have respect for their culture; however that does not mean that paying guests should be treated badly, outrageous!!! We were told by other British, Thomas Cook Costumers to leave if we could as the situation would not get better, only worse.
On the third day we met our rep and insisted on being moved or being put on a plane to go home. By this time we had NOT UNPACKED OR SLEPT and we had paid £3456 for a 4* hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank sally e

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This holiday was mine and my boyfriends first holiday away together and we had a fantastic holiday! We arrived at 3:30am in the morning and found the check in very smooth and we were shown to our room very quickly, however after requesting an upper level room we had been put on the bottom floor with such a bad view as all we could see was a wall! After complaining to the rep he spoke to reception and they moved us the next morning, our rep, Louis was very helpful and made sure we where moved! Once we were moved to the 3rd floor we have a lovely view and the room was much better! We tipped the maid at the beginning of our holiday only 5 dinar and she made the beds with patterns out of the sheets and we always had clean towels!

The animation team where excellent and always tried to get you involved but not in a pushy way. They worked extremely hard all hours of the day and where always happy to see you! The entertainment they put on in the evening was ok, not the best but the beach party was good fun!

The food was great, there was always different meals available and lots of choice, the pizzas around the quiet pool where lovely as well! we tipped one of the waiters at the beginning of the holiday and he always had a table saved for us and even put flower petals on our table!
We didn't tip a lot but it does work in your favor if you do!

The beach was beautiful and clean and the water sports where excellent and very cheap! We went in a big group and they where always willing to give us extra time or discount as towards the end of the holiday we went every day! If you are up for it do the paragliding it was just excellent and the view was incredible!

Negatives:
- The men around the pool very annoying and very persistent with you even though we where firm with them when we told them no. They mumbled in their own language right in front of you and often said inappropriate comments when my boyfriend was in the pool or at the bar. They claim to be from Thomas cook but they are not!
-The water booklet that you get at the beginning of you holiday was fine for us and enabled us 2 bottles of water a day so that was fine for us but in a bigger group this may be a problem.

Overall, we had a fantastic holiday and would go back to Tunisia and el ksar if we didn't want to visit new places!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room to ensure you get a good view!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hannah92_12
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

When we arrived at the Hotel about 3.00 we was greeted by lots of waiting about and form filling, which the hotel had no pens. We was given 2 books containing tickets for water saying that was all we was allowed during our stay, we asked for a bottle each on arrival which they was not very happy about. We were not offered any other form of refreshment even though we had had a long journey.

At last we was escorted to our rooms, as requested the rooms where next to each other, but both rooms were double rooms when we had requested and paid for twin rooms. The one was okay for my younger Son and his Girlfriend, but the other was not okay as I was sharing a room with my 29 year old Son, so understandably I asked for another room showing them my booking details. The staff was quite rude to me saying it would be okay until morning, they eventually moved us onto another room on the lower floor. The room seemed to be okay, until we tried to put on the air-conditioning, it wasn’t working, nor was the light or the hair dryer.

The light and hairdryer was fixed when I reported them, they also said the air-conditioning was working, but it wasn’t. Everyday I reported it and they came, and each time said it was working. Yes it was making a noise but no cold air was coming out. It was fixed the day before we came home.

We were told the hotel was a four star, but a two star would be more fitting. As for being all-inclusive well that’s a laugh, as they seemed to try and charge for everything, including water after a certain time. The drinks were watered down and very limited. At certain times and certain bars only wine and beer was served, this included the evenings during the entertainment. The bar staff were good but not enough of them and I was appalled to see young children having to queue up for a drink.

The food was okay although very repetitive, on one occasion we was asked to leave the main restaurant as we had put on shorts over wet swimwear, we took our food to the outside area to eat. During eating we was surrounded by cats, of which one got onto the table and started to eat off my Sons plate, we left our food.

I made a complaint about the air-conditioning not working during our stay and asked for a free late check out, this was agreed by the hotel liaison Manager that we could have the room until 18.00. as our rooms had been allocated we had to move rooms the morning of our departure. The four of us moved all of our belongings into the room at 10.00 to find out it had not been cleaned, it was very dirty, but it wasn’t too much of a problem as we went down to the pool for the day. I handed the keys for the other two rooms into the reception and told them the room hadn’t been cleaned, they said it would be sorted, I also gave the maid a tip to clean the room and leave us four bath towels.

At 16.30 I decided to return to the room for a shower and a lay down as we had a night flight and I had a long drive ahead of me. I also paid for an extra two hours as we had only been given the room till 18.00. On return the room still had not been cleaned, which included a full rubbish bin containing used condoms, an unmade bed and a filthy bathroom.

I was unable to get a shower or use the bed, so went to find the maid, she came with me to the room and I showed her as she couldn’t understand me, she said 5 minutes, 15 minutes later I stripped the bed, removed the dirty towels from the bathroom and placed them all outside the door along with the bin, again I went to find the maid. I took a clean towel from the trolley so I could shower while I waited for her return. She came and put clean sheets on the bed emptied the bin and left, I had to chase after her for towels for my family to use. By this time my older Son had returned to the room and I was very angry, tired and unable to sleep, so I went down to reception. After being kept waiting I was told “well we have given you a free room” yes they had, one I was unable to use. At this point I got very angry, luckily my rep turned up and I explained everything to him. He was great and has requested a refund for the fact that we had no air-conditioning until our last day. The Hotel liaison Manager was called to look into the problem with the dirty room. She went up to see the maid and gave her a dressing down in our room in front of my family, causing her to cry. My Sons girl friend was very upset over this. The Liaison Manager came down to me apologized putting her arm around me to calm me down, she gave me a complementary drink to try and calm me down. I am 52 years old and do not expect to be treated in this way.

I returned to the room and we got ready for our last night at the hotel. At 20.00 we moved all of our belongings into a room of someone who we had been friends with and handed the keys back. At 22.00 we took our belongings into the reception area to wait for our transport to the airport. We sat there chatting with people who we had become friendly with. We was told to move our belongings and place them into a luggage room, even though we only had 15 minutes to wait for out transport, I refused to move my belongings as by this time I was tired and extremely pissed off, our transport arrived and we left the hotel.

The flight back was terrible there was no space on the plane, we was very cramped up with no leg room and it was freezing cold, so we had to pays £20 for blankets, it was even too cold to sleep. When we arrived in Birmingham my ankles were none existent and I could hardly walk, to go along with being tired. I then had to drive from Birmingham to Calne in Wiltshire which because of traffic took over four hours, and I was very tired after being up for over 24 hours.

The Animation team were fantastic, those lads worked from early morning right though till late at night, with smiles on their faces and full of fun.

Room Tip: Just make sure everything is in working order and clean before you take over the room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

i went there and had a great time the animation team is lovely and entertain people all the time . the food is nice and fresh everyday. i would recpmmend this hotel for everybpdy who are thrill for a nice relexing holiday at the same time you will have fun. you wont be bored in el ksar. and as well hotel is locatzd dtraight on the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank holidaymaker725
Portland uk
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Myself and my partner were put up in this hotel for a night after our flight home was cancelled and having left the Sentido Phenecia were frankly shocked by the stark difference in standard considering they are both rated 4* by Thomas Cook.

Whilst at the El Ksar we were lucky enough to sample each of the meals on offer- after which myself and other guests we met all experienced sickness and other gastro related problems... I will hold the detail. The food was barely warm, the queues ridiculous, staff bad tempered and very rude at times and the food from the grills was raw in the middle.

As for the room it was incredibly noisy and overlooked the courtyard which ran a cinema with surround sound until gone 2am, despite 3 phone calls and 2 trips to reception the noise continued with the manager stunned to believe this could be keeping us awake, not to mention the ROCK HARD pillows and extremely poor air conditioning which really is necessary in this climate.

Tunisia itself is wonderful, this was an unexpected and very poor end to our holiday and thank god it was only for one night whilst waiting for a flight, DO NOT STAY HERE there are FAR better hotels available, this will ruin your Tunisia experience!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derbs123
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Our last family holiday with our teenagers, unfortunately not what we had hoped for. As we left the airport on the way to the hotel we stopped at the most beautiful hotels, but when we arrived at ours the faces dropped!! looked like a prison from the outside not a fort. Still we thought that we had to give it a chance but during the week it got worse the food was terrible, lights hanging off the walls in the rooms which as reported and not fixed, no air conditioning in the corridors outside the rooms,staff attitude, trips, plastic cups with evening drinks. The only thing that good was the weather. If you want better quality do no go to this hotel, it is NOT a 4 star hotel by far.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family