“We enjoyed it but wouldn't return.”

JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
scotland
“We enjoyed it but wouldn't return.”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Holidayed here end of June 2012 for 2 weeks as a family with 3 kids. We enjoyed it, it was an experience and I don’t grudge a penny of what I paid for it however there were some buts. We were lucky with a Superior family room with 2 balconies overlooking the sea (booked a year in advance). Some rooms have hairdryers, some don't, it's just your luck. You can apparently borrow one from reception and return? The air conditioning was not strong enough and when the temperature reaches the 50s as it did when we were there, it is a necessity. We met lots of lovely people including Tunisian families and 1 really nice Russian family who were unfortunately a minority so I will quickly get to "the Russians” otherwise I may spend the whole review on them.

The Russians were unbearable and the awful atmosphere created at mealtimes, around the pool (stealing of kids inflatables and balls) and the having to be up at 6am to get a sunlounger, the madness at the pancake and doughnut queue. We did see one Russian lady go mad at all the young Russians at one point and telling them to queue. It was about time.The demanding of Whisky and Gin from 10am to bar closing. The bars actually ran out of Gin for quite a while and it seems like its happening quite a lot. It is not relaxing and by the end I felt rude myself, my standards had dropped and I was fed up with it. I probably wouldn’t have bothered as much if I didn’t have kids, but the pushing them out the ice cream queue was enough. No pleases no thank yous. The hotel did very little to control anything, just let it be. When I opened my eyes in the morning (if I had slept because it was so hot and the aircon didnt work properly) my first thoughts were sunloungers!! I also felt I had to have a routine every day otherwise it would just be chaos. You feel very sorry for the staff and how they are treated.

Back to the holiday. Passport control was awful. Very busy and we waited ages. Someone will help with your bags to the bus and try and charge you £5. We laughed him off and gave him £2. They accept British money knowing you wont have any Dinar yet. You can change money at reception and there is a cash machine.

Check in was a little mad but fine. As soon as you get your key take the big heavy metal thing off and leave it in the electricity slot for your room otherwise you will have no air conditioning or fridge if you get one when you’re not in the room. I agree that the hotel reception staff were rude, it was unmanned a lot of the time and they didn’t really care. There is no queuing system so walk straight to the front desk to get served. If you hang and queue, you will be ignored and someone will be served in front of you.

Cleanliness wasn't the best especially after seeing what came out the air conditioning unit in the kids room after I requested it repaired for the 5th time. We often had to clean our pool area in the morning with all the bottles and glass left from the night before, I found the restaurant unswept with dinner on the floor at breakfast, broken glass left for nights. I also wonder what happens to the plates of fruit taken to the rooms, I would see the maids emptying them but not all of it went in the bin!? Room cleaning was excellent, we tipped her as we went along. Hire a fridge if you can when its very hot, it was also nice to put the sun cream in the fridge. I think it was 5dinar per day.

The food is ok but it is repetitive. We tipped a few chosen people barmen, waiters, the egg chef (10 dinar at the end of 2 wks), others got more, others less, some along the way, some at the end. They do chicken nuggets at the kids section in restaurant (pile them up or they will go before you go back), the turkey burgers are good and with the flatbreads at the pool area, if they weren’t ready I asked the chefs, I got them hot straight from oven, just be nice and polite. Get your starter, main and desert all at once especially on sitting 1 in the restaurant as before the end of the hour they stop putting the food out and there’s nothing left. Sitting 1 is still busy but not as bad as the later sitting. Your table is only yours for dinner, sit wherever at any other time. I do agree the waiters did very little as you serve yourself completely.

We thoroughly enjoyed our pool time. Speak to the lifeguard especially if you have children, ask him nicely to get you some sunbeds and an umbrella. He will do this for you, no problem, unless they are all gone but he normally finds you something. The pool area is small for the amount of guests. Beach is nice but very busy! Ask for diet coke (light) at the pool and it will come from the bottle as opposed to the gun which is not so nice. The entertainment staff are fine, fun to take part in and provides entertainment.. More for the older kids and adults not so much for the younger kids. Thomson kids club is good especially for those really hot middays

Take a walk along the road to Farmers (rep will tell you about this), the Saloon or one of the many other bars/pizza places. At Farmers it cost 100 dinar(about £42) for 5 of us (including tip, 5 adult meals, one side and 2 rounds of drinks). It was well worth it, relaxing, all eaten and felt full, the service was great. Saloon was about the same. We also went to a pizza place, food was good but that didn’t sell beer and you get the flower selling in there. Going outside was always a welcome break from the hotel madness.

Walk out of the hotel gates and you can get taxis right there and there is a supermarket, selling loads just don’t buy the sun cream there as a couple advised me they bought it for half the price in a pharmacy. Try and bring loads with you. Venture a little further and you can find things cheaper and the service can be better. At the main road along to the right, don’t lose a child down a hole, there is a supermarket over 3 levels, set prices, no haggling. Its good for a midday walk which and was very hot. Cross over and it’s a little more shaded. At night we went to the left and went for a walk, that’s where your restaurants are.

It will cost abour 5 dinar to the Medina, expect hassle from every market seller in the Medina, but then haggle enough and you can get a bargain. It's worth it for the experience but it is very tiring and I wouldn’t venture in too far. The government shop at the front is more expensive but again the prices are set. Taxis only should take 4people but on the way back 5 squashed in 1. He did get shouted at from the other Taxi drivers, but we didnt bother and nor did he! It was 6 dinar to port el kanatoui, that’s nice at night, walk around the marina, rides, shops. You can get a photo on a camel. Set your taxi price before you get in.

If you are booked, then go and enjoy everything great it has to offer, the fab weather, the laid back lifestyle, the lovely people, El Djem, amazing beach, watersports, aqua aerobics, jimmy and beverleys bar in the hotel. I felt completely safe walking around the area and would encourage it. During the day I would go alone to the shops and I did not feel the need to cover up either, but in the evenings I wore long trousers or skirts. Would I go back? Definetly to Tunisia, just not to this hotel. After speaking to others on the way home, there is a lot more on offer that doesn’t have so many Russians. We don't want all Brits but they need to just not let so many Russians in. Unfortunately, they are a massive industry for them and unlikely to loose them soon. Such as shame.

One final tip, I read that someone else locked themselves on the patio and so did we on the 2nd night. I shouldn’t say this, but (in an emergency) you can pull the bottom out and get back in and that was with a few drinks in us! But yes, be aware!

Room Tip: Get a superior family room - book well in advance.
6 Thank mattmichaels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
llanelli
Reviewed 4 August 2012

just got back after two weeks at the tour khalef 18 july 1st aug 2012. Second time here and its just so relaxing just what i needed, hotel spotless, all staff were fab, food wasnt as good as last yr but we didnt starve over the 2 weeks we were here. Pool area clean animations team where good over worked but kept going.The only down fall to this hotel are the RUSSAINS they are very rude just horrible people full stop, but after last year we wernt getting walked over like last time the four of us made sure of that we give them a taste of their own medicine, none of us liked pushing in or leaving the doors close on people but it realy got up their noeses, so the four of us felt better that they werent getting the better of us. Girls in the kids club were also fab.
It would be better if the pool bar stayed open untill all entertainment finished till about 12 and not 11pm. If you are planning to visist here just be like us &dont let the russians rule you. Will deffo be going back.

4 Thank donz09
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Have just returned from a week in Tunisia where we stayed at the Hotel Tour Khalef on an all inclusive basis. What a fabulous place to spend a very relaxing, well deserved holiday. From the moment we arrived to the time we left, the staff at the Hotel Khalef could not do enough for us. They were friendly, polite and so very eager to please, they truly made our stay more enjoyable. The entertainment team work amazingly hard and are a credit to the hotel. Cleanliness at the hotel is second to none, with maids cleaning your rooms and giving fresh towels daily as well as ensuring all areas of the hotel and poolside remain spotless. The choice of food was plentiful and changed daily, catering for all types as were the snacks and drinks. Children are thoroughly spoilt there and they have excellent staff looking out for them and keeping them entertained. Rooms were spacious as was the whole complex, giving you the opportunity to find a peaceful spot if you so wished. Sunbeds are plentiful and no need to get up at silly o'clock to do the "towel placing". Having said this, I would imagine that this might not be the case in high session. We went the last week of July, and were told by staff that August is, not unsurprisingly there busiest time. The only thing that slightly annoyed me were the Russians holidaying there. It seems that these people have no manners what so ever, do not know how to wait in line or say please and thank you. However, it was amusing watching the staff treat them with the same disrespect they were given, good for them!! An excellent holiday, hotel, staff and resort, all excellent; I would thoroughly recommend :-)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicki C
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Arrived on the 15th of July for 2 weeks with my husband and 2 kids aged 4 & 6.
Greeted at the hotel reception with more cards to fill in before we could get settled in our room of which was a great size and very clean.
The pool was great for the kids however getting a sunbed could be trying at times with Russians actually moving our towels so that they could use them!
The public toilet areas can be grotty depending on what time of day you visit them.
Staff and maids polite and work very hard for long hours.
Food in both resturants were samey and was a fight to get to the food displays all the time and pushing and shoving from other nationalities was so rude and frustrating!
Glasses and cutlery seem to be in short supply.
Our kids used the Thomson kids club which was great for us as meant we could have a breather. our kids really enjoyed all the activities that put on for them there.
The animation team work very very hard and for long days but still manage to put on a late show for us. However we saw the same sketches they did on both weeks!
Weather was beautiful and so hot so happy days!
We are going back end of next May 2013 so it cant have been that bad
From
Anne Ade,Megan & Samuel

1 Thank Anne F
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

stayed here last week with hubby and four kids. had been promised by thomsons that hotel had adjoining rooms but this is not true. we were moved within 24hrs to rooms next to each other though as we complained. the rooms were spotless and cleaned daily. the hotel was spotless. all the staff was really friendly especially towards children. animation team excellent although over worked. kids loved them. thomson kids club available most days too. food ok was a bit of hassle as it was buffet style and yes the russians did seem to pile food on their plates but the supply of food seemed endless so no one went hungry. the staff will get you a sunbed if you ask and yes they do reserve one or two for a tip. the play area was a bit rickety and not well equipped. the beach sports are cheap 30dinar for paragliding, 10 dinar for banana boat. overall we all really enjoyed our 11 days stay here and would go back again.

Room Tip: opt for a family room if you have kids as these are larger and located on ground floor.
1 Thank debbier43
Leicester, England
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel with wife and 2 children, 4 and 8 years old.

Good Points:
Weather
Pool
Beach
Room was large
Best nights sleep I've ever had while not in my own bed
Kids Club
Animation Team
Cheap outings
Farmers SteakHouse(Go out of hotel, turn left and about a 10 minute walk)

Bad Points:
I could not believe how rude/ignorant the Russians are, but it really was like feed time at the Zoo. There was so much bad feeling that the night time meal was more about who could be the more selfish, the Russians won every time!! Taking platefulls of food that they could not possibly eat.
3 or 4 nights I could not find anything that I liked and my 4 year old girl did not eat much at all for most of the holiday.
Day time Animation team did their best, but we did not expect them to also perform the night time shows. They need to bring in more proffessional acts.

Overall we enjoyed our holiday because of the good points above and consider it being good value for money at £2200. Its just a shame about the Food and Russian issues, they could ruin your holiday if you let them.

birmingham
Reviewed 29 July 2012

horrible rough hole, the rooms were dirty and the beds were dirty. the bathroom needed a dam good clean. The food was the same old everyday and other guests were complaining alot. I think this hotel should drop the price to be honest as sevice was poor.

Room Tip: don't go there are better places.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank brummie045
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Marhaba Beach Hotel
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
#3 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark

Been to JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa? Share your experiences!