“Lovely hotel, Great animation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tour Khalef Marhaba Thalasso & Spa

Tour Khalef Marhaba Thalasso & Spa
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
west midlands
“Lovely hotel, Great animation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

we stayed 2 times in this hotel November 2007 and in december 2008. Was a lovely hotel. arrives about 9:15pm . they had left the resturant open cause there was alot that was on my bus staying in the hotel. Food wasnt brilliant cause it was left overs. but it was ok.

There wasnt many people at the hotel. (mainly aimed for the older people in december). there was a big family with about 9 kids and 6 adults that stayed in the hotel. So there was alot more english at tour khalef than the marhaba club. We was at the marhaba club every day and night anyway because thats where our friends work.

The pool was too cold to go in . it was freezing. i didnt stay around the tour khalef pool i was at the marhaba club pool. where it was the only swimming pool on the ground of the marhaba lot had a life guard.

evening eventertainment was dead the animators in the evenings would sit and talk to the people there and make the children that was there happy and make people generally smile.

Food was good it is better than the marhaba hotel. Still abit bland and boring and still aimed at the germans. Eggs was on the menu 24/7. they made pancakes in the shape of mickey mouse for the kids.

There are two night clubs onsite. marhaba Disco and Le Grottes. Both nice and have themes to the lay out. Marhaba disco's theme is Circles and its a Circle in side a Circle. Le grottes is like a cave inside a building. The seats are comfortable. and the dancefloors are big.

Drinks you pay for separate. Free with break fast but at evening meal you pay for them. its not like marhaba where they have the drinks card. You can just go to the bar and buy a drink with your normal Dinar's.

Rooms are Cosy with a big balcony. all are over looking the sea with a nice view over sousse. Beware the balcony's are very high up and with a 3 year old ( 2007 ) and (2008) its not a good idea. i would request a low floor.
We had a joint room so they were joining making this a family room. Maids Made up the room everyday change the bed sheets every 2 days and towels changed every 2 days.

Staff are friendly and Nice. Animation are lovely. they love kids and will do anything to entertain them to keep them happy. same with adults. Entertainment in the summer is more better and livley.

Weather was about 17-22 degrees. we had one day where it was 28 degrees. people were in the pool on this day. the weather in winter months is nice and warm but if you are looking to get a tan then go to fuetaventura or spain during december. you definatly wont get on in tunisia. So pack a light jacket for the night. It didnt rain in december infact it rained more in july 2009 than it did december 2008. we had thunder an lightening 3 nights in a row with the heavy hard droplets of rain.

Overall this hotel is good if you want a quiet stay. ( ill include that some people have said in their reveiws about the noisyness in the summer months of bora bora night club. In fact Bora bora nigh club is a good 25 minute walk from the tour khalef or 5 minutes in the car. the noise comes from Marhaba/Legrottes/Bananas/Saloon/Living etc!) Lovely Food and Staff make the guests feel welcome. i recommend this hotel to older people during the winter months. and the families in the Summer. People of any age if you want a quiet stay then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank tunisialover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
pembrokeshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a week as a party of 11 - ranging in age from 7 - 62 and nobody came home disappointed!!
Rooms very basic but cleaned every day and as many towels as you want, air-conditioning fab despite temperatures of 45 outside.
We stayed all-inclusive and were all more than happy with the variety of food offered and we had some fussy eaters, there is also a restaurant at poolside which caters mainly for the english guests and is not as busy as the main dining room - we were allocated a table for lunch and evening meals so were able to sit together every night.. My daughter was 18 during our stay and we asked for a cake - but they done so much m ore balloons, her name was written with flowers on the table and all the waiters brought the cake and sang happy birthday to her.
All inclusive bar quite busy during the evening but if you let them bring your drinks to you and tip one dina (50p) they will take you to front of queue. Entertainment pretty basic, bingo in 10 languages, kids disco etc. Can't comment on kids club because ours didn't attend - they were too busy at the pool and the beach.
Had a really good deal on watersports at the beach - £50 for 2 trips on paraglider and 2 goes on an inflatable sofa pulled behind a speed boat which could take 4 people at a time.
The only downside I felt about the holiday was Sousse town itself was glad didn't have to go looking for somewhere to eat every evening and going into the shops was no fun u almost had to buy something before they let you out. There is a very good supermarket just outside the hotel where there is no hassle.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jebeto
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

Arrived at Tour Khalef late in the evening for a 10 day All Inclusive holiday with extended family which included 6 adults and 3 small children. Lobby area was well presented.
We all checked in and were shown to our rooms.
Walking to our room (No 2010) we found the corridor dark musty with the carpets thread bare in places and in need of a clean.
Our room was in a similar condition with torn curtains, a piece of carpet under the beds which had seen better days.
The room was on the ground floor, outside the patio door was a garden with furniture and clothes dryers strewn randomly on the lawn plus a discarded metal fence leaning up against a bush.
The bathroom was also in a poor state of repair.

Very disappointed with our room, we met back at reception with our family to relax after a long day of travelling to find their two rooms were in a similar state on the 5th floor main building (No 3513, 3514).
In addition they also had mould on the shower curtains, loose balcony railings in both rooms. One of the rooms looked as if it had not been cleaned at all with hair on the floor, red powdered makeup on the sideboard and a sick stain on the carpet.
One of our party complained to reception about the mouldy shower curtain and was told to wait in the room. After one hour no one appeared.

Due to the late hour we decided to return to the room and talk to our tour rep in the morning at the welcome meeting.

I Was woken up by a crawling sensation on my skin only to discover that myself and the bed was covered in bed bugs and ants. Horrified I ran to the shower.

I took photos of the ants on the bed. Unfortunately I missed the photo oppurtunity with the bed bugs as the scarpered at the first sign of light although I have a photo of the bites on my body.

As this point I went to the rooms where the rest of the party was staying only to discover that had been kept awake until 4.30am from the noise of the disco opposite. It was 6.30am and they only had just a couple of hours sleep.

We decided to wait to speak to the rep as we had doubts that the hotel reception would be able to resolve our issues.

Went to breakfast to discover a fine selection of pickled and cooked vegetables and a broken coffee machine.

We met our Thomson holdiay rep, and explained everything that had happened backed up by video and photos. She was very helpful and sympathetic and arranged for us to be transfered to the Hotel Marhaba Club that morning.

Once the rep had left the hotel, the manager called my sister and I into his office to try to convince us to move rooms. He was aware of noise from the disco and offered to move us 5 floors up. We thanked him for his generosity and returned to retrive our cases to leave.

While in our room two members of hotel staff came in with a copper canister and proceeded to spray the room without warning with what appeared to be insecticide. We immediately asked them to leave and let us finish collecting our belongings.

On arrival at the Marhaba Club Hotel we were given a complementary drink while they prepared our rooms and found the hotel and staff were completely different.

In short the Tour Khalef Hotel did not meet the standards that would be expected of a 4 star hotel. As we had three rooms between us one can only assume this is not a one off incident and appears to be representative of the hotel in general.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank holidayenjoyer68574
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

Not knowing what to expect before going to this hotel and Tunisia for the first time we were pleasantly surprised.
The hotel grounds are well kept, the temperature was scorching and the rooms were adequate.
Where this hotel surpassed was with the service of the hotel staff and the standard of the food. There is a plentiful selection of foodstuffs for just about any diet and the hygiene standards were very good.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful and put up with an amazing amount of rudeness and arogance from the Russian contigent that visit this fair land.
I have never experienced behaviour like it they were ignorant to everyone! and at meal times these folks went mental! You'd think there was a famine on! .
And after holding doors for them a few times and realising that they don't do polite I'm sorry to say I proceeded to ignore as way of dealing with them.

As for the rest of Tunisia, I recommend it to anyone and shall be returing to this hotel again but at Easter time as the temperature is a more bearable 30 degrees!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kal31
Belgrade
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

First, do not go to Souse in Tunisia under any circumstances if you want a proper holiday! It is crowded, and a busy town, and tourists are main pray here. Just go and visit beautiful Medina in the center, and run as fast as you can! It is recommended by agencies due to nightlife, but the best bar is called "Saloon"?! Would you really want to go to bar called Saloon in the middle of beautiful North Africa, and eat steaks? This review is bad partly because our agent Kontiki, that recommended this hotel as very popular, almost 5*, and visited mainly by couples :))) What a lie! The hotel is 2-3*, and so crowded, that even if you came with 10 loudest kids, you would still feel like a nice and quiet family. The beach is very long, and really nice, and you can have a long walk in the evening, which is the only good thing. Bad thing is that you will encounter 50 different sellers, who will try to talk to you, and sell whatever they can, even in the evenings. The same applies for the beach during the day, you are only safe in the sunbeds area, that even has security, but when you step out and try to go to the water, in 10 meters, 30 people will offer you fruits, little palm trees, cigarettes, clothes, kites, necklaces, and you wear nothing by swimsuit... the list of merchandise does not end, I just cannot remember everything. Then, when you go into the water, and happen to be female in any shape and size (do not get to exited that you are good looking), you will have to swim and hear "hello" from locals swimming around you, and trying to talk to you in the water (their age varies from 12 to 45 years). Go into deeper water, as they do not swim very good, so will stay in shallows :)))) In the evening, the waterfront is also covered by locals, who play all kinds of sports, which is nice, but also attempt to talk to you, which is not nice. There was a tourist girl who knew Arabic, and she understood what kind of c*** they tell you in Arabic when you do not answer their "hellos", and she answered them in Arabic, was hit in the head by the ball !!! Locals are also in the first km of the beach, that is public beach, and it is fine, but hotel beaches are not actually hotel beaches, as this is one long 3km beach, and people can come when and where they want. Hotel Animation team is interesting in the first day, then you realize that they are crazy or drunk all the time. They literally run and yell 5 cm next to your head "VOLEYBAAAAL" or "AQUAAEROOOBIIIC", so you end up brainwashed. Hotel food is fine, but the rooms can very much vary, depending on the tip you give them. Rooms do not have fridge, you can only rent it, as well as the safe, which is really embarrassing for 4* hotel, as they call themselves....Hotel has a great park though, and staff is generally nice, and hardworking, but hotel looks like a dinosaur skeleton, that can crash every minute. All in all, go to this hotel only if this is cheapest possible deal, as that will be the true value (we paid approx 550 EUR for 10 days HB &travel, but I would not give them more than 300EUR, and expect AI with that). Next to it is very nice and cozy Marhaba Beach hotel, so go there, if visiting Souse. Or go to any other place in Tunisia, at least to nearby Port el Cantaui, that is really heavenly nice. Or go to Egypt, this is what I did and will do for a looooong time :)

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank razbibriga
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I have just returned from a week half board at the Tour Khalef. I have to admit that I was extremely worried after reading some of the reviews, but in some aspects was pleasantly surprised.

I went with 4 other adults and 4 children, we had 3 rooms. We arrived around minutes to 22.00 p.m, and after registering, we were told the restaurant was still open.
The food was left overs, but it was okay. We could not buy a drink because the cashiers at reception was closed, and that was the only place to exchange currency.

My room was quite large, and an additional single bed was added to the room for a child, but that was okay. The view from the 7th floor (room 3725) was a sea view and that was lovely, If you looked straight down though, the grounds were scruffy and in need of tidying up. The bathroom was large, but smelt quite musty. The towels also had the same musty smell. ( So take you own, and a candle to burn to clear the air)

I was stunned to realise that you have to purchase a remote control for the t.v from reception (30 dinar refundable deposit) this was a first. I thought t.v's were part of the package.

I was shocked to hear the ibiza disco beats all night, and could not believe that from 1.00 in the morning, the music actually got louder. They finally turned it of at 4.00 and I thought maybe the club is just on Sat/Sun. I was soon to discover that every single night, the music came back on. I was on the 7th floor, and could hear the d.j and the crowd very
clearly. The base line was mind blowing..So I got very little sleep that whole week.

The carpets along the corridor were quite dirty and had a few stains, and they are in need of a good clean, but the maids do their best. The maids kept my room very clean, and always done some form of art work with the sheets and my nightware. I did leave a nice tip for her, as she was extremely friendly.

The breakfast line for pancakes is always long, but they are good. Eggs are okay, and the ham and cheese. The rest was not to my liking. They have a machine that dispenses juice. This is always to hot, and to sweet.

I always managed to get a lounger with no problem, and the kids loved the pool area.

The pool cafe is just chips and pizza, and this can get quite costly. The drinks begin to add up. (There are shops just outside the hotel that sell soft drinks alot cheaper)

You can hire a fridge for 5 dinar a day. I was stunned that when we placed the order and came back to the room about 18.00, it was left outside the door for us to lift up and plug in. (Amazing, that did get my back up)

The staff were always quite pleasant, and again tipping does always go along way, and I find the service is always better.

We ate our dinner as a group in the restaurant outside by the pool. Its alot smaller, less noisy and alot more relaxed..

I went to the medina with a friend, and as two woman we were hasseled from the minute we got there. You have to be very strong minded, and stand your ground. It did ware me out.

Do not get into any taxi's before negotiating a price, or they will try to rip you off.

The beach is lovely, sand soft, blue sea and very warm. Again if you use any of the motorised sports, negotiate a price.

The animation team were the worse I have ever come across. The kids disco which starts at 21.15 (late for kids) was the same everyday, but the kids loved it. The rest was rubbish.

If your with friend, just chill out, enjoy the wonderful weather.

Sousse is a lively resort and Port El Kantaoui is about 10 mins away. Its definitely worth a visit...

I had a good time, but the Bora Bora night club spoilt any chance I had of relaxing at night.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank sexyninja
Crawley, Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

We stayed at the Tour Khalef from 15 - 29 July. We stayed in a superior room which was excellent for families as there is an adjoining bedroom for the children. We found both the public rooms and our rooms clean, and the staff were always courteous, although you always felt that you should tip.
The food in the hotel was ok, there was always something to eat, but I did find as a lot of the residents were Russian that these were catered for. Unfortunately most of the russians dont know how to queue but there are worse things.
The hotel grounds are lovely and spacious with plenty of room round the pool and the best and biggest pool for children that I have ever seen and about 100 yards from the pool is the white sandy beach. Right next door is the Marhaba Beach hotel where there are another 4 swimming pools, one with flumes, so you shouldnt get bored.
We didnt bother with the noddy train as it charged 3.5 dinars per adult and you could get into Sousse and Port el Kantoui for about 4 dinars in a taxi. Driving is mad to say the least, and most taxis dont have working seat belts.
We went on the Camel ride and Pirate ships with smiley miley, not with thompson as he is cheaper, although you do have to barter which does get on your nerves after a while because you never know if you are being ripped off.
We also went to the aqua palace in port el kantoui which i would not recommend, it cost about £30 for a family of 4 and there are only about 4 flumes and a few childrens slides and we went home after a couple of hours. It was also very male dominated, which was quite intimidating.
Overall I did enjoy this holiday because you cant fault the hotel, grounds, pool and beach but I probably wouldnt go back because there isnt a huge amount to see outside of the hotels and bartering is annoying. Oh yes nearly forgot its also cheap over there, which is goods news, we used to have lunch out most days which would only be around £10-15 for a family of 4 including drinks.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family