“DONT BOOK!!!”
Review of Tej Marhaba Hotel

Tej Marhaba Hotel
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Myself and 3 teenage sons, and 2 friends went here for the second time. The reason we chose Sousse again was due to the heat, very hot. The hotel again was only due to the food. When we went to this hotel 3years ago, some of the staff were rude and didnt have a clue about customer service but the food was excellent.

Well we recently had a two week stay as all inclusive and what a waste of money it is too. Reading many comments on here I can guarantee you, you will be treated as a 'nothing'!! The bar staff, and hence there is only ONE bar you can get the drinks from using the all inclusive and thats the bar facing the pool in the lobby area. The queues are disgusting as waiting time can be between 20-30 mins a time. The drinks are served in plastic cups, They are rarely cold! The bottles of water are warm! One barman actually abused an english lad in front of me telling him to f*****f and that he was a w****r!! Whilst slamming the lads hand on the bar! Please also bear in mind that this hotel has cameras (I saw the screens) and they must be watching the continuous events from staff but not doing anything about it! Also, behind the 'banker' in a small room is a public relations erm ... yea member of staff!! She claims she is wanting to change tjhe staff and put the hotel right!! When mentioned to her that she should sit in the lobby and watch how the staff treat us she replied with 'she does!' .... but it still continues!! The loungers well you have to tip the lunger man for a cushion you cant help yourself to a cushion and he wants a tip!! I dont mind tipping but when you pay nearly £4000 for a holiday it does get a bit much!! The restaurant alongside the pool you are offered a minor part of the menu but it doesnt actually state the pizzas will be like anh infant at schools made it as it is like cardboard with hardly anything on it, dry and really unedible! Just remember you've paid for this! The main restaurant is ok the food was repeated but edible, but if you dont fancy any of it you can guarantee there wil be chips on each occassion!! We were on table 229 then change to 238 (same table different number). Our waiter was nasty! He wouldnt change our tablecloth as we hadnt tipped him, only been there 3 nights and trouble started with him! The final straw was on a morning we went for breakfast and the whole restaurant was set for breakfast apart from OUR table!! I totally kicked off about this and the waiter was suspended from work for 3days.

The 'camel' man, he sells the trips by the pool. Well we thought he was nice but he isnt 100%, hes just after selling the trips and making money out of us. He promised my boys that he would do a special morning for the three of them for quad biking on thir own with the instructor instead of a large groups. Well, we paid, they got their .... and so did a coach of about 30 others too! Please dont believe all he tells you. Also, the galleon trip is only about 15dinars along the beach, with the camel man you pay 40 dinars!

Not impressed with this hliday, which is a shame as it could be good OH NO I forgot ...also the damn pan pipe music they play EVERY day around the pool. Until you go into the lobby/ reception area and its there to haunt you again!! NIGHTMARE!! I never had anything against panpipe music until this hioliday!!

My sons only had the cleaner in once and she stole the change they had in the ashtry! Was reported to the public relations lady but the cleaner deny taking it so they believed her!! Why would she admit it - it was more than her days wage!! Oh and she had the next day off!! They were in room 446! Please becarefule with your belongings. One man hid his wallet under the mattress and the cleaner had that too ... but you will be told the cleaners are safe!! AND they are 100% on their cleaning CRAP! Our bathroom tiles could be scrapped as there was so much grime on them!!

This hotel is not customer friendly and goes on the basis of - your there for two weeks and gone!!

Shame really as there is a handful of really good members of staff.

TRY EGYPT I PREFER HURGHADA, so much better and the Egyptians are happy and treat you well!!!

Good luck

now lets see what comment the public relations say to this!!!

Room Tip: The even numbers seem to overlook the pool!
6  Thank m a
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. You will be pleased to hear that we do listen to our guests and have opened another bar which hopefully will reduce the queues. Security cameras are only on the lifts, not elsewhere, so we do rely on customer feedback. If any member of our staff is found guilty of misconduct towards the guests, then he is severely punished, as in your case, where you felt the waiter was not treating you fairly and he was subsequently punished.
The ' camel man' is there of course to sell trips but again, when you were not satisified he did refund you some money.
Unfortunately, due to the red card being hung on your sons room for most of the holiday the cleaner could not gain access to this room. I'm sorry if you think that the cleaner stole the £2.60 in loose change that you left in the ashtray, she has denied it but we are still investigating.We are not aware of any other theft in the rooms. The majority of guests are very pleased with their cleaning but had you brought your dissatisfaction to our attention then we would have acted on it straightaway as we did with your other issues.
Once again, thank you for your feedback as we can only improve our services by listening to our guests comments

Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is a review based on my opinions and experiences of our stay at this hotel in July/August 2012.

I booked this holiday last minute with 8 weeks before departure with Thomas Cook. I looked at reviews on line and mainly used trip advisor where it was getting quite good reviews so was pleased with my choice in May 2012.

Closer to the time of departure the negative reviews were stacking up and I was starting to get a little worried about this.

The flight was with Thomas Cook from East Midlands Airport and this was fine as it was close to our home, and we had the last flight out at 22:55. We arrived in Tunisia at 02:00 and we cleared customs and border control by 03:00 and got on our coach for our transfer to the Hotel. As a piece of advice for people who have never been to Tunisia before there are local men that will grab your bags and carry them to the coach and they will demand between £5-£10 Sterling, they do not want Dinar. If you do not want them to take your bags you have to be very firm and tell them NO! It is not far to the coach about a 5 minute walk and there are trollies available for you to use. On the way home these men as soon as your coach arrives start unloading your bags and try to grab them again you need to be very firm and say no as the chick in desk for your flight is less than 2 minutes away and they will still want the same amount as before.

When we arrived at the hotel at 04:00 we checked in and got given our all inclusive wristbands and table card for the restaurant and room keys for the rooms. We were taken up to the 6th floor and shown to our rooms. It was a booking where we were supposed to have adjacent rooms as there were 5 in our group and we had 2 children in our party. We were given rooms at the opposit ends of the hotel and both rooms were dirty and had not been cleaned, the tip for the maid was still on the side. We complained straight away about this and were then moved to the 2nd floor and were still not given adjacent rooms.

Our rooms faced out on to the front of the hotel and underneath us was an Arabic Hashish bar. The noise from this bar started at 21:30 and ended at 04:00 and the smell of the hashish would enter our rooms. Also there was a very strong smell of sewerage in the corridors as they were having problems with this. The smell only got worse during our stay and the toilets did not flush properly and the baths and sinks did not drain.

When we complained we were treated with contempt by the reception staff and even ignorned. We did speak to our Thomas Cook Representative and they even treated him like this. The bed blankets had been used by previous guests on the beach and had been covered in sand so when you did go to bed you were covered in sand, we asked if these could be changed and we were told none were available. THEY DO NOT CHANGE TOWELS DURING YOUR STAY AND DO NOT PROVIDE POOL SIDE TOWELS as they advertised. I spent £45 on towels for us to use as I was told I did not need them, if I had been told the truth I would have packed them as I had luggage allowence left of 25kg.

They claim this to be a 4* hotel and it is not I have stayed in 4* hotels before and this I would only rate at best as 2*.

When I booked I was told the indoor pool and recreational indoor Gym was being refurbished and we could use a sister hotel instead. When I asked at booking how long it was out of action for I was told 6 weeks. When I spoke to guests and staff there I found out it had been out of action over 2 years and is not set to be completed for another year at least. To get to the sister hotel to use their facilites it is a good 45 minute walk in 38 - 42 degree heat or by taxi 10 dinar ( about £4-£5) each way.

The outdoor pool is very popular and is at times crowded. My 2 children used this pool everyday of our stay and would come out covered in cuts, we wondered why this was and found that alot of tiles missing in the pool, also one morning I came down around 06:30 and found the staff to be cleaning the pool and patio area with a hose pipe and were washing broken glass and debris into the pool. THE POOL WAS NOT CLEANED ONCE DURING OUR STAY. I used my son's snorkle set and had a look at the bottom I found 2 tampax, copious amounts of broken glass and insects (living ones) in the pool. They run an arobics session at around 11am and water polo at around 3pm but do not clear the pool for this and found these activities to be unsuitable for my children. At one water polo game my daughter almost had her nose broken by a participant of the game.

As for kids entertainment all there is a kids disco for 30 minutes every night and it is the same music and routines every night. Adult entertainment consists of paid for bingo and a disco which again is the same every night. The band which play is mediorcre at best.

The all inclusive bar staff are on the fiddle as what ever you order they double and make you sign a reciept for this and if you argue then they become rude and agressive. You queue longer for a drink than at the post office around 25- 30 minutes at peak times. They use boukha which is a local drink made from figs and if drank in large amounts will give you a severe case of the runs and you will spend all day in your room with an unflushable toilet!! So demand vodka instead.. beacuse this is what you pay for.

The snack bar is open for all inclusive from 2pm - 6pm and you can order pizza, rolls and ice cream but you will not always get what you order and queues here are again about 45 minutes to 1 hour at peak times.

The restaurant if you arrive like we did in the early hours of the morining the system is not explained but you have to hand your card to the head waiter if you can find him!! and then you get given a table. But at breakfast and lunch there is no set place to sit so at frist you think it is a case of just find a table and sit IT IS THE EVENING MEAL WHERE THE PROBLEMS START BECAUSE HERE YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR OWN TABLE AND THIS IS VERY HARD TO DO SO. The dinning room is split into roughly 5 areas and each waiter does not communicate with the other waiters if they have or have not any spaces.So enter in to the dinning room with the attitude of demand a table at the start and sit here all the time do be firm (not rude) as they know they have the upper hand.

The food when we arrived is very geared towards the English but come the 1st of August you are entering the German holiday season and you will get very German choices. Then meat is halal meat and tastes very different to English food. Puddings are small pastires, the soup is made from leftovers at lunch. Breakfast is continental but we stuck to croissants and crepes as we did not like the other foods on offer.

We did take an excusion offered by Thomas Cook to the Medina for 20 DT and we found this very interesting and the guides were very helpful and helped us to barter for Gold and tabacco. An example of this is that I wanted a Gold and Diamond ring and was told 1000 DT about £250 but our guide got the owner down to 160 DT for an 18 Carrat gold with 2 Carrat of dimond ring. Only buy gold from the gold quarter in the medina as these people are licenced by the government to sell gold and it has to be hall marked to be legal.

Do not use the shops in the hotel they are very over priced especially when there is a fixed priced shop that is extremly reasonable only 5 minute walk away.

As for taxi's haggle a price before you get in. If you want to do the Medina on your own that is your choice but you do get harassed by stall sellers and even grabbed into them and they do not let you out until you buy somthing - usually over the odds.

Tipping - This is a very poor country and they do expect a tip for everything, I personally will not tip if I do not recieve a good service. I did not tip the maids and bar staff as they were rude and unhelpful. I did tip the restaurant staff 2DT at every meal as our waiters Akrem and Fysal were exceptioanlly good and looked after us. This is up to you and your interpritation of good service.

This was our first time to Tunisia and I personally would not go back as I was very disappointed. There was nothing apart from the pool and shopping for my children ages 6 and 10 and I wish I had booked with the MovenPick Hotel across the road as this is far better and the service is unexceptional.

Room Tip: Rooms pool side are quieter and noise finishes about 2am
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Sorry you didn't get your adjacent rooms when you arrived. We do our best but sometimes this is not always possible especially when the hotel is full. The cafe next door does not use hashish just water pipe tobacco. You will find that it states in the brochure that we do not supply pool towels. Our room towels are changed every day.
Our indoor pool has been undergoing renovation since last September and is due to open the beginning of November along with our new spa centre. The sister hotel where you can avail of their facilities is nearby and we will happily provide you with a free taxi to get there and back. You should have been informed of this service by your travel agent; The outdoor pool is cleaned every morning at 5am by the pool attendant who uses a large vacuum pump which sucks up anything that may be sitting on the floor of the pool, including broken tiles, otherwise we would have a lot of incidents, which we haven't. There is also a fully stocked first aid box on site which is at everyone's disposition. During the day the automatic filter system is in use. If the pool attendants do hose down the terrace the water does not go into the pool but down a drain.
Yes, you are right in saying that our hotel is not really suitable for children. We dont claim that it is and your travel agent should have known that. The mini disco for the children is the same every night and this is on purpose, so that the children get to know the songs and the actions that go with them and can join in.
The restaurant food is very varied as we try to cater for every nationality so of course its different to english food. The soup is not made from the leftovers at lunch. Breakfast offers a wide variety including croissants, pancakes, cereals, eggs, sausages,tomatoes, cheese, yoghourt etc.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Myself & my wife enjoyed the hotel and the facilities it gave, the food was lovely, plenty of
variety, the restaurant staff where very good and not forgetting the room maid she was excellent,
we were on the 4th floor so we had a great sea view, I am afraid to say the downside is the 1st
floor, the rooms seems very cold and cave like with no views whats so ever, we only experience
one day down the dungeon as we joked to each other, thankfully the reception change us to the
4th floor so we were very happy indeed, overall the hotel was very good and the price was also
good, we would go back again as long as we can avoid the 1st floor beware readers.

Room Tip: avoid 1st floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrick M
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Thank you for your comments and pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately the first floor does not have the same views as the higher floors but for those who are unhappy there we will willingly try to change them. Our aim is to please and satisfy our guests at all times. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Great hotel staff where great..... Good tip for people who have bad reviews on the staff..... If you tip the staff well they look after you well..... Beach was lovely food was good no complaints..... :)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Just back from a 2 week AI at this hotel. This was our second year here and it justified the return. I travel with 2 of the fussiest eaters known to man and they found something at every meal time the food is out of this world with an expansive buffet at all 3 meals. Although there is a a queue at the bar at times if you don't want to wait a small tip to a waiter and you will get your drinks brought to you. People have to realise that this is a foreign country and you have to expect a different pace. The pool area is now completed and every day we got a sunbed beside the pool and the animation team kept us entertained with Aquagym, French boules, darts and water polo.
I am looking at booking again for next year so ignore all the moaners who would not be happy if it was the Hilton for free.
This is a great value all inclusive hotel with friendly helpful staff and wonderful weather.

5  Thank keeefy7

Thank you for your comments and delighted to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us. It is always a pleasure to hear from a satisfied guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

A bit outdated aestheticly but good value for money. Rooms were clean and decent with balcony. Air con and fridge in rooms aswell which was a bonus. Food at the hotel is good aswell. Pool area is nice too.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank ToptouristGHJ

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to meeting you again in the near future

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Myself and partner have just returned from what was ment to be a 2 week holiday (all inclusive) but as this hotel was so so awful we actually paid more to come home early,, i strongly advise people to not go to this hotel, we arrived at about 3 am to hotel there was 1 person checking in about 30 people and took his time and was slow and rude not helpful at all,, we then got to our room where there was what could only have been poo on the bathroom door a huge stain on wall of what looked like same, the air con hardly working blowing out warm air, door onto balcony hanging off. we were so disggusted. the food was awfull we both had upset stomachs for 3 days,, the plates were often dirty and many times when i got a drink from bar after queing for 20 minutes the glass was dirty too and drinks were flat and warm,, as we were all inc,, we were treated like crap asking for a bottle of water it was warm but if paying you get a nice cold one,, most of the staff were so so rude and talked to you like crap,the area around hotel is a complete mess rubbish everywhere,, the country stinks, we had people hasseling us everywhere trying to get into my handbag and take money and then them abussing us because we caught them trying to do this,, every day there was other guests complaing at reception but all seemed to fall on deaf ears as they just dont care, This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in and if you are going to book a holiday to this place we would strongly advise you to NOT. also our room was on 6th floor facing outside of a busy and very noisey road where they beep horns all night so never had a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lucysteve11
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Sorry you didnt enjoy your holiday and had to cut it short by 3 days, due to family circumstances and not due to the hotel being 'so awful'. You have made quite a few comments which I feel are not justified so would like to comment on them. The stain you mentioned could not have been 'poo' or I feel you would have walked straight out of that room and yet you stayed there till your departure. There is no stain there now, the air conditioning works and the balcony door is fine.Our chamber maids have a very high standard of cleanliness so would not have left the room dirty.
In the restaurant we have never had a complaint about the plates being dirty. Our food is always fresh and varied. Upset stomachs can be due to too much sun, too many cold drinks or simply the change of diet and water. The same applies to the bar, we have never had a complaint about dirty glasses. The drinks are all kept in the fridge which is replenished often, but if there is a large demand then, unfortunately, the drinks are just cool.
Outside the hotel, yes, there are some villians and crooks but please dont judge the whole country on those few. Tunisia is not a country that stinks. Thank you