“Cheap for a reason”

Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
manchester
“Cheap for a reason”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Thought we were getting a good deal but as they say you get what you pay for!
Hotel wasn't greatly clean, staff not very helpful. They are geared up more for tunisian/french visitors. We asked to exchange money three days in a row and each morning we were told the
money was on its way! Buffet breakfast/dinner not what I call a buffet, choice of 3-4 different things and if you came towards the end of serving not much left and no more would be coming out.
Only good points is that hotel is right on beach and location is good, you are close to a lot.
In the end we had to shell out a bit more money and enjoy a much better hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
michael G, Manager at Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
thanks for your opinion. we are constantly trying to improve our services, but as you said, we can'toffer 5 star quality for a 3 star price. i hope that you profited at least from the beautiful beach and other positive options at our hotel and we would wish, that you come back next time to see our improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend had the opportunity to spend two weeks in July at Royal Beach Hotel in Sousse.
The journey was arranged by a tourist agency. And all in all, our stay was great and we hope to come to the same hotel next year, but probably on our own.
But to be more precise, I would like to point out some basic information about the hotel itself.

+ the hotel is located directly at the beach – just walk out through the gate next to the swimming pool and you are on the beach
+ to get to the Medina or City centre takes about 20-30 minutes walk, or you can take taxi (ca. 4 Dinars)
+ as for the hotel itself, the stuff is very helpful and friendly. They are always willing to help you with any problem
+ food in the hotel is very good. Though it is not strictly the same as traditional, spicy Tunisian cuisine, it is very tasty and the dinners vary each day. Once we went out to live in the restaurant, but we found the food at the hotel better, because after the restaurant we were feeling a little bit sick. Maybe we had a bad luck.
+ The hotel has two swimming pools, one inside, the other outside. The swimming pool is almost empty till midday, so we were happy to swim as much as we wanted without any distrubance.

- As for the breakfasts, they are a little bit monotonous. Almost every day you get served the same – Mortadella. But as we found out at the supermarket, in Tunisia it is hard to get any other cold cuts.. and the scrambled eggs were so greasy, that they were almost inedible.
- Air conditioning. Be careful, not to get a room vis a vis hotel Marabout. The windows are on the East side, and you will find it impossible to stay at your room. But we had a room with a view to the sea. And it was even colder than at our apartment in Poland.
- If you can't imagine your holidays without alcohol, than don't go to Tunisia during Ramadan. Of course, you can still buy alcohol at the hotel or restaurants, but you will not find it at any shop.

Summing up, the hotel is of very good value, decent conditions and superb stuff. We enjoyed our stay and we really hope to sped our next holiday at the same hotel. It is a good choice, and the best choice within this price range!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aleksandra_Mateusz
michael G, Manager at Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
hi, thanks for your opinion, we are proud and happy, that you enjoyed your stay with us ;-)... we hope to see you back soon and we are at your disposal at any time ;-)... michael.
Yekaterinburg, Russia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Our trip has been spoiled by 2 men on street who stoled a bag from my friend on the first day in Tunisia. And general director of the hotel helped us to visit Police and to make our rest better. I would like to thank him a lot! We changed our meal (from dinner to lunch), we had privilege on the beach and so on. Our mood became better really.
Anyway if you want to change your room - pay 20 dollars on the Reception. Your room will be cleaned properly when you check-out maybe (I saw dirty mirrow all the 10 days, sand was on the floor). Wifi was very slowly and didnt work 3 days.
But staff were very nice: Reception, waiters, barman (maybe because of g.d.). Thank you for help!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TransHotel
michael G, Manager at Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
hi, thank you for your review. i am the new manager of the hotel royal beach. we are trying to improve our services and the quality of our hotel all the time so to be able to provide the best holidays for our clients and to make them feel like at home. we would be happy to see you back at our hotel, you are very welcome anytime. best regards. michael.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I honestly hate people, who are paying 350 euros for the whole trip and expect ***** stars hotel. If you want to stay in a luxury hotel pay 3500 euros and enjoy your stay in every detail. I was really happy during my trip, I have spent not a lot and I had a great time. The beach, which belongs to hotels is really beautiful. The hotel crew was really great, the food was OK, sometimes really tasty, sometimes just OK, but not disgusting or anything. Boring breakfast, really sweet, but its normal in Tunisia. The location was perfect, close to Saloon, Bananas and other club/bars. This is not really a party city, but definitely, you have many places where you can go out, hang out with the tourists and locals the same time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Justyna W
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The sea and the private sandy beach are beautiful. The hotel is a bit dated, but the rooms are big and clean. Nice food. Friendly staff , especially the waiters in the restaurant. Better than some four stars in Sousse.Ok price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank A K
England
Reviewed 29 April 2013

It saddens me to report how badly this hotel has deteriorated since I was last there three years ago..

Let me put on record that I am a regular visitor to Sousse, have stayed at many of its hotels and do not expect 5* luxury at 3* prices but the Royal Beach is now barely a 2* hotel. It still has its fantastic situation directly on the beach, there is free wi-fi and a tv in the rooms, which have comfortable beds and are kept clean with sheets and towels changed regularly but that is all it has going for it now.

The problems stem from the top, the two brothers who own the hotel and sit in reception most of the time but are not interested in sorting out problems. Indeed when I told one of them that I was not happy I was asked to keep my opinions to myself. Bad mistake for him to say that to me I’m afraid so I simply said I had no intention of doing so but would never return and would put my report on line.

Startting with the rooms. Pleasantly decorated in dusty pink and cream, picked out in gold but the curtains were not hanging on the hooks properly so sagged badly. The rain came under the door/window leaving pools on the floor and I was on the third floor. There was a TV high on the wall which you had to lie on the bed to actually see and the only chair in the room was a plastic garden-type one. My bathroom door did not even shut, let alone lock, so I was forced to put the ‘Do Not Disturb” notice on my door if I wanted to have a shower uninterrupted by the maid.

There were hardly any guests, in fact never more than about 30, most of whom seemed to stay out of the hotel as much as possible. With these numbers I do not expect them to provide an extensive menu but all the more reason to ensure that what there was would be good and the service efficient. Breakfasts are never a strong point in Tunisia and at least the tea was decent but there were never any saucers. I insisted on being given one and had to ask every single morning (bar one when a cup and saucer was actually on my table). There was a toaster but the sliced bread beside it was rock hard so I never bothered with it. Normal Tunisian bread is usually wonderful but this was often stale There was no jams or yoghurts. Spam, cold cauliflower and limp salads were available for those who wanted them, failing which it was eggs, sometimes hard boiled and sometimes fried. The margarine was marked as ‘butter’ on the counter so I bought butter at the local supermarket and the waiter put it in the fridge and brought it out for me every morning. That is until a couple of days before I went home when it did not appear. I asked for it and he simply disappeared into the kitchen and didn’t come out. The receptionist later told me that it had been thrown away but that evening the waiter told me I would have butter the next day and sure enough half a new pack of butter was on my table. It had obviously registered that I would be leaving the next day and he wanted to make sure he got a tip.

Soup was cold (though the waiter re-heated mine in the microwave on a couple of occasions) and the only meat was marked as pork and actually had a picture of a pig above it but the colour and texture seemed to belie its origin. Potatoes could be fairly good but other vegetables were either cauliflower or broccoli, both either under or over-cooked, and spinach in a sauce which was invariably cold. Deserts were usually oranges, unset blancmange or biscuits (often rock hard) though we actually had strawberries on two evenings.

Despite having a sign saying “Change” in Reception this was always unavailable. I asked to change £20 and was told ‘no money’. I asked if they would have it later and received a shrug and ‘perhaps’. The bar-man told me later that he could have changed it for me easily but I didn’t bother again.

Many hotels in Sousse are now closed, probably never to re-open, and I very much doubt the Royal Beach will be around much longer unless it gets new owners who actually have their eye on the ball. I feel very sorry for some of the staff, including the lovely lady house-keeper who I know from previous visits.

Believe me it saddens me to write this report as I love Sousse and its people and long for them to prosper after their revolution but whilst there are hotels like this and the people who own it people will go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Aslemma
Manchester
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Although booked a package through a holiday company did not see or have any contact from the rep for the company, so attempted to gain assistance from the hotel reception staff in regard to local information. However, the male hotel receptionists were extremely rude - treated you with comtempt and made you feel that you were a huge inconvenience to be asking such basic requests such as where the breakfast room was etc....Found that got a much more pleasant and helpfull response for local info from staff in nearby shops / restuarants than hotel staff - who also asked "why are you staying at Royal Beach? It's terrible!"
Food items were stolen from the room by the cleaning staff and level of cleanliness in room generally poor.
Would not reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PClarkManchester
michael G, Manager at Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels