“Well past its sell by date”
Review of Marhaba Salem

Marhaba Salem
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I have just spent two weeka at the Marhaba royal salem in sousse. I was a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews about this hotel regarding building work etc. I was booked into the Marhaba but when we arrived we were told that we would be in the sister hotel which is 4 star I thought oh good 4star at 3 star prices.....wrong! this is definitely not a 4 star hotel . I was put in one of the garden rooms, which was down some steps, across a garden up some more steps up another three flights of stairs, luckily I had a very nice porter take my luggage for me, he certainly earns his wages. The room was very light and airy, and spotlessly clean, lovely white bed linen, and decent towels,it had a large balcony with a view over the gardens and a sea view. But the thought of all those steps, and the traipse through the gardens to get to the dining room was very off putting luckily the weather was good,but it would have been a different thing in the rain. The food was interesting breakfast consisted of cereals fruit salad and yoghurt, but try and find a spoon to eat it with, if you wanted toast be prepared for a long wait as the toaster is useless it took me 5 goes to get my bread brown and then it was only on one side, they have achef making pancakes and omeletts, and there was boiled eggs sometimes scrambled eggs, and what looked like the previous nights vegetables,the croissants and pastries were very nice. At lunch and dinner there was usually grilled meat, turkey or veal a good variety of vegetables, and always pizza and chips! The main building of the royal looks as if it has been a good hotel in the past but I think it is well past its sell by date, and seems to attract a strange kind of person at one point I thought I had stepped ontp the set of The Jeremy Kyle show, I have never seen so many shaved heads and tattoos, part of the lounge is a smoking area and it stinks! The beach is ok if you ignore all the beach salesmen trying to sell you anything, from T shirts to fruit cigarettes to sheepskin rugs, For the price I paid for 2 weeks all inclusive it wasn't bad value for money all though some people were getting more than their moneys worth judging by the amount of drink they were pouring down their throats. I cannot fault the staff they were all very friendly and helpful but I will not be returning to the Marhaba Salem.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the main building unless you like walking
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank jackie g
Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel Aug 2011as a couple, Anyway, After reading all the reviews and for the price we paid I was very sceptical. After the drive from the Airport looking at all the building work being done in the town and the kids sitting at the side of he road trying to sell prickly pears I was dreading arriving at this hotel which we had been informed was having some minor construction work on a separate hotel block, and after seeing all the work being done to other buildings along the journey...Well you can imagine. We arrived at out hotel or what I thought was ours,only to drive past and get out of the taxi at what seemed the back entrance... After learning this was or hotel and the one we passed was the Royal, the sister I was scared. After filling in the green card etc etc. We went to our room with a fab little man carrying our luggage only to find an impressive room which was spacious clean and had a cracking bathroom. We did some exploring round the hotel luckily my partner has a good sense of direction because I would of got lost. It was quite clear that the hotel was actually very clean all round and I actually couldn't pick fault.

The minor building work was infact minor building work, during the days you could hear a drill going in the distance but nothing more. The staff were okay, they got on with their jobs. The maid we had was lovely and all the maids we saw were very polite. The entertainment was fantastic. Just beware that when they ask you as a couple to go on stage to do impressions.... That you man might end up battling for Mr Macho competition in his pants. ...

The day trips that our rep.. Dan offered were brilliant, he was a really honest guy that told you if it was worth your money. There's not many reps that will say no don't go there its crap and not worth your money.

The food... now I am a very fussy eater whereas my partner is not. But there was enough pasta, fish and fruit for me. And enough of everything for him. Plenty of meat and lots of chips. I cant complain because I know that they will never be able to please everyone, but the service was fantastic, there wasn't really queues and the food was hot. The only thing I would say is if your eating at the beach cafe there are queues and not many tables and when you manage to get a table you ill be pestered by wasps. We only ate there once.

The pool.. We didn't really go to the beach we decided to pick a pool and a spot and stick to it. Which we did. We stayed around the smaller pool under the palm trees but again the only complaint which the hotel cannot be held responsible for is the wasps. There are loads. And they are big'uns. I did get stung and it has left me scared of wasps but like I said the hotel cannot be held responsible it because of all the gardens. Otherwise sitting by that pool and watching the entertainment was bliss, made some great friends.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone, plenty for kids to be doing and a lovely adult holiday as well. It was not what I expected in the slightest but I did have a fantastic time and will be going again.

Room Tip: Do not close the balcony door when you are on the balcony... We did it twice and got stuck twice. Th...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank JLebz
Reviewed 19 April 2012

IF YOU LIKE CHIPS AND PIZZA... THIS IS THE HOTEL FOR YOU!!!!
WARNING: ONE KEY CAN OPEN EVRY ROOM DOOR ON ANY FLOOR :S WE FOUND OUT!
NOT VERY CHILD FRIENDLY!!!!

my family booked a week here and we have 2 small children with buggys. when we arrived, we were placed OUTSIDE into the sister hotel and were UPSTAIRS with two buggys.

we could only go in 1 pool because evything else was under construction.

In the main bit, at the back there is a smoking area that stinks and we couldnt let the children up there it was that bad...

The food was quite disapointing even though the chips were yummy!!!!

The Bar me were nice and gave a funky nick name to my younger brother which was funny.

I have to admit that the main enterance and loby was very nice however THIS IS NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!!! too many precautions, like if they were going into the water, playing with the mud, going out side, falling down steps.

over all, the trip was alright but should NOT be recomended to a family based on our ''experiance''

Room Tip: Pay more money to get into the main hotel, we wish we had.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank ashielolo
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We booked this holiday last October, 3 weeks before we were due to travel we were told that the hotel was undergoing some refurbishment. We arrived to a building site, our power was cut off in our room from 8am to 6pm. We complained to the rep and she had us moved to the Royal salem next door.

We had drilling by the pool where my friend had to ask the managment to get the workmen to stop ! Not the relaxing time we had in mind.

Plus points - the staff were very nice and the food was good. Shame they only had one place to eat at on time - when the main restaurant was open the snack bar shut.

We were 4 friends on holiday so we made the best of it and had a good laugh, I think the hotel could be nice when the REFIT - REBUILD is finished.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the garden rooms - they overlook a builing site.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank allison m
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just returned from a week stay @ this hotel! Had an amazing time, me and my friend booked this on a last minute deal. We was abit worried about this hotel @ first because it said the guys hit on people a lot but when we got there they just involve you in everything, I can't understand any bad reviews on this holiday as a holiday is what you make it but out enjoyment wasn't anything to do with how we made it, it was all thanks to the charms of alex we absolutely loved him he is such a fun guy can't wait to go back and see him this year

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Jasminsmall
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I recently stayed in the Marhaba Salem hotel from 4th-11th March 2012 with my friend. We booked the trip last minute and was worried to what the hotel would be like from the comments on this site. On arrival we were more than happy with our accommodation; clean, adequate size, lovely bathroom and our balcony looked out over the pretty gardens. To the comments regarding the hotel being a building site, this is simple not true. There was some cosmetic improvements happening for the summer rush but nothing drastic. No noisy building work or banging waking us up in the morning. Instead we had the choice of an indoor swimming pool and two outdoor, a lovely beach bar that was situated on a stunning beach.

The food also was a welcome surprise. A good variety of different styles and plenty to choose from. We did also venture outside to a lovely french place and steak house that were great value for money.

Due to the time of year we went, the weather was not so great. However the hotel entertainment was brilliant. Snake charmers, belly dancers, films screened in the day,strong men, dj's and discos for the children. We made friends with lots of people at the hotel as it has a warm and friendly environment. The staff contribute to this and are kind and helpful with anything you need. A member of staff named Alex, who helps with the entertainment, went out of his way to make sure we had a good holiday. As our new group of friends and myself liked a dance, Alex took us to the local nightclub 'Living'. This became our second home. Great atmosphere, great music and friendly locals. Alex worked 9am-5am them nights to make sure we felt safe out. A true gent and amazing host. All holiday resorts need to take heed from Alex on how to entertain guests.

So in conclusion, we will definitely be back to Tunisia!!

Debs and Lizzie

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel (palace) are a bit more grand
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank DEBORAH K
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Hotel Marhaba Salem is one of the Royal Salem. I was here in Juny 2010 for 3 weeks and I returned again in October for 3 weeks. Hotel situated in a lovely garden. Are well cooked, the staff is helpful and friendly. In October reconstruction, we have used the service of the Royal Salem. REMEMBER.

Room Tip: I once had a room on the ground floor with view of pool and garden, the second time in the 1 floor o...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank d_titzova
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
1 mi away
#22 of 36 in Sousse
Marhaba Palace Hotel
Marhaba Palace Hotel
#8 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Marhaba Salem? Share your experiences!