“Value for money and Sam just cheers you up!”
Review of Marhaba Salem

Marhaba Salem
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
“Value for money and Sam just cheers you up!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My first impression of the hotel was not very good, we arrived late evening to be given 2 rooms which one was a double and one a triple ( we were a family of 6) so we had a hassle of getting another room only when we got this room the electricity kept tripping. This was sorted very quick and I could not fault the reception staff.
The rooms are basic but very clean, sheets and towels changed daily.
The food in the hotel was a little repetitive but there was something for everyone, the waiters in the restaurant were very pleasant as were the poolside waiters.
The pool area was clean the only problem being not enough beds ( you need to be up early to get one).
The animation team are very friendly and make you feel very welcome they DO NOT only give attention to young girls they made of all our children varying in age from 7 to 18. Sam just makes you laugh from start to finish. The animation team definitely made our holiday. I would recommend this hotel however a few things do need tweeting like the sunbed issue, fridges in rooms and beach towels.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Sarahlou162

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed for 2 weeks in June 14, staff were very friendly, bar service was excellent, food great, not one bad meal was had, cannot fault the maids either. Waiters will literally wait on you hand and foot. Private beach lovely. Weather great, max temp 42 on one day!! Cannot fault the all inclusive, if you wish, you can eat for about 12 hours a day, choice of beverages brilliant, tea and coffee on tap from breakfast till the bar closed at night, even bottles of water are free under all inclusive. Free Wifi in Reception areas. Room easily slept 4! Have the choice of 3 hotels, 5 swimming pools and private beach, kids and adults alike will love the slides!. Definitely recommend it the place to go if you want complete relaxation and don't want to lift a finger. Thanks to all staff for making us so welcome and for making our holiday great. Will definitely re-visit in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank j p
Denmark
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our room was not ready when we arrived, and we had to wait until almost 14:00 before we got our room. We had asked for a room a high as possible, but got one on the ground floor. After a bit of negotiation we got a room on the 1 floor out of 3 floors. Food is more or less the same for lunch and dinner everyday, only a few dishes are changed daily. The Breakfast they served was good. The pool area was too small for the number of guest in the resort, and if you want a sunbed on the Beach, you need to be there before 07:30. One bit of advise don't go to the Medina in Sousse, it's a hassle with a lot of scam artists.

Room Tip: Find another hotel,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kenneth_Pedersen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have just returned from one week at this hotel, this was my first time in Tunisia.
First impressions are really good, clean reception area, dining room, toilets etc etc. Our room was at the front of the hotel so it would appear to have been recently decorated (2 years maybe).
You can't fault the Animation team they are brilliant, friendly and engaging. The restaurant staff are also very pleasant and helpful. The bar staff are okay I found the staff in the lounge bar more entertaining than those in the pool bar.
The food was plentiful and some tasty but I would check that it is hot especially the food re-cycled from earlier in the day or last nights food and the cold plate section was not very cold. The desserts were very good and moreish, waistlines will expand. The hotel is frequented by Germans, French Russians, Italians and UK, expect noise and mess from most at meal times.
Sunbeds!!! well there are not enough round the pools and there are three including the one in the Marhaba Royal but you cant get one unless you put your towels down at 4.30am before the pool man, mike, gets there as he runs the show. Most guests pay him at the beginning of the week to set up a bed or two or three and an umbrella for a 10-15 dinar. The same problem occurs on the private beach. So unless you are prepared to scrap around to find one or wait for one to become vacant I suggest you pay him,, I did this on our last day only as it was against my principle to do so throughout the week, you may not agree, but we did always manage to get one of sorts. It is no good complaining about the sun beds as they don't do anything, similarly the air con, its a hot country and it works when it wants to was the answer I received.
We went on the 3 cities trip and our guide was excellent, sorry name escapes me, his knowledge of the areas we visited and other non relevant information but all about Tunisia was immense. Feti the Thompson Rep was also very good and entertaining.

I did have a stomach bug from the second day of arriving. It did not stop me eating and drinking and enjoying my holiday I just went to the loo more than most. Having been home for three days now the problem is still with me, the cramps are little less but in time the Doc says it will pass, let's hope so. So on this point just to reiterate, eat hot food, make sure re-cycled food is always hot and do not drink the water and most importantly wash your hands all the time as there are lots of little ones who do not and touch surfaces that you will be touching.

But most of all enjoy your holiday it is a nice hotel but I will not be going back.

Room Tip: Good free Wi-Fi in Lobby areas and part of the pool area. Room choice would be at the front as it i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sueirel
Wigan
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just returned home from a two week stay at the Marhaba Salem. I had an absolutely fantastic time. The hotel was lovley and modern and rooms were cleaned daily to a high standard. The hotel is situated on it's own private beach with a lovley beach bar where you can have lunch. There was never a dull moment around the pool in the day as well as in the evening due to the animation teams great efforts to keep people entertained, eg aqua aerobics, beach volley ball, ping pong, archery and much more! The bar staff inside the hotel were very friendly and attentive - especially Zairi Thameur! Also in an evening around the pool Ali Salhi waited on us, he was very caring, friendly and always made sure we had everything we needed! All in all I had a fantastic holiday and due to welcoming staff and a gorgeous beach I would not hesitate to return!
Liv x

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank LivUnsworth
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

i just would like to say a big massive thanx to the bar staff at the marhaba salem!i went there three times last year, and they are very friendly, so helpful and never forget you. they are always smiling and do anything to help you, once they know you, your drinks are ready before you are which is cool because it saves us going to the bar. going again in september and i cant wait.

Room Tip: the higher floors are the best for the rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracy S
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Basically its all in the title, 9 of us went for £5000 all inclusive (cant complain on price) but in hindsight I will pay the extra and go 4*/5*. Arrived at the hotel 11:30 Sunday morning, first impressions from the outside a little worrying, walked into the reception to confirm my fears, no wow factor as I have experienced with other hotels, looked very tired (maybe it was me). We booked up 4 double rooms, 2 rooms ready to go the other 2 rooms we had to wait until 1:00pm that really upset me, first time ever I've had to wait for my room. The lady at reception asked if this was OK I replied "no this is very inconvenient never had to wait before". Rooms average nothing special, no fridge, no safe, 1 of our rooms air con not working. My air con worked but seemed to have a mind of its own when it wanted to get cold??. Cleaners friendly and done a good job can't complain. The main reception and surrounding Wi-Fi areas are suppose to be air-con wasn't sure if it was working or it was cool because it was out of the sun. Found the bar staff short and a little rude (possibly the culture) same with the waiters. maybe because I'm the wrong sex. Definitely noticed a big interest from all staff towards white western females, looked so obvious and totally unprofessional. The grounds around the hotel average and some places looked like a fly tip. Actually when you leave the hotel and have a look around its a complete dump and smelly, looks like the locals just dump rubbish anywhere (shocking) Dogs and cats in survival mode, nobody cares about them, a good indication of a community only interested in themselves. We went out on the Quad bikes very good def recommend it and at a good price, They were actually quite organised and had a high level of health & safety which I was pleased about. The Entertainment in the evening was nothing short of a total embarrassment, we all couldn't understand what the hell they were doing. One act was a man (dressed as a woman) with two babies (full grown men in nappies) she was constantly beating one with a rubber hose?? must be a Tunisian thing. The other acts just as pathetic, was good for the kids earlier on but for the adults forget it. Nobody had anywhere else to go, I'm sure it would of been nearly empty if the option was there. The beach was nice, white sand, nice water.
Food Ok, nice desserts, not very organised and def a lack of passion for the job from the waiters, constantly walking pass empty plates and glasses. Anytime time I needed cutlery like a fork it was a big secret on the location of these items, the waiter would disappear and re-appear. We ended up taking off other tables, not good but why didn't they have an area for these items? Every time I went down for breakfast half the tables not set, whats the problem it clearly states breakfast 6:30 - 9:30? Would I go back..........no. Will spend more and get the quality.
Finally Rude Russians lurking be careful. You can spot them with the silly outfits they wear. One group of former soviet unions where all eating smelly fish (raw I think) in the evening, totally wiped out a big area, it was like an exclusion zone even the kids wouldn't wonder into this area. And they rob your booked sunbeds (with towels on) they take your sunbeds like they took Crimea.

Room Tip: sorry I can't give any advice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family