“Good time lovely staff”

Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I was there with my friend for two week we had a brill time the staf are not all that I I.e cleaning me and my friend had same bed sheets the whole time I was there not good dining room never ate and wen I did I was ill. The entertainment was amaxing. What a bunch ov lovely lads would do anything to help and are absolouty brilliant. With children from what I saw mido hamdy and haikel but there was one boy from beach we found rude and agrssive his name if i remamber correctly is widel its a place you must try for your self just try for your self......

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jade H

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed here on 19th October 2013 for 1 week, can understand why people ask for honest reviews, it does not matter if its a cheap hotel or 2 or 3 star there is much improvement needed here, staff at the hotel were scarce, due to it being so late in the season and the few that were there (some of them) could not do their jobs properly or liked to ogle or touch young girls, I saw it for myself, I can understand having fun or flirting or the fondness for fair young girls or anything else in a skirt, but when they say "No, back off" that's what it means, some of the guys can't take no for an answer and can become very forceful. Asking girls out is one thing but I did witness one guy who was not hotel staff ask 2 girls to marry him on different days, he went by the name of Couse Couse, he was always around, so beware!!! I got on fine with all the staff. One night of entertainment, a fire show, guys blowing fire, from in the pool, next day the fuel from their mouths was floating in the pool, people were in the pool swimming the next day. Yum!! Children had a disco for 50min most nights, good fun. One of the entertainment guys who had his hair tied up fondled himself one night at the bar, making obscene gestures with his friend, very inappropriate in front of children, did complain to Rep, but the guy was still there the next night, he was one of the fire blowers. problem was, this guy was similar to another guy so they just let it go. Due to there being lack of cleaning staff, rooms were not being cleaned properly, my room was cleaned. Around the pool area was also in a state, we had to bring a cleaner up to clean it. They were short of cups for drink plastic or otherwise. Oh and the guy behind the bar asked my husband for money on 2 occasions not strange you may think but we were All inc. There was also a putrid smell around the hotel.. They do sell excursions from the hotel, again beware they are cheaper direct from company who put them on. We have been home a week now and my husband son and daughter were all very ill when we came home,, I was not too bad as I lived on croissants for breaky and spag bol at night, the pizza, Scooby Doo would not eat, can't tell you about the rest, but my husband and son ate food there and they had to go to doctor, not eaten now for nearly a week, told to drink plenty. Unsavoury characters hanging around outside hotel, be careful. My husband has lost at least 2 stones in weight so its helped his diet plan !! Could write more about what people told me, but that's up to them to let you know. If the Karawan want people to go back they are going to have to clean up their act, in lots of ways, come on Karawan put on more staff who know how to do their job properly, let staff know that fraternising with guests is not on and they will be sacked if they do, get food cooked properly, warm and not re-heated, get rid of unwanted visitors in and around hotel, it has the makings of a lovely hotel but failed badly. At the end of the day I got a lovely tan. But lots of bites, that's to be expected so take protection.

Room Tip: 4th floor facing pool or sea, insist on it !!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank jan p
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I would like to point out firstly, I believe people should write honest reviews on hotels, I love to travel and always rely on trip adviser to gain an insight of what to expect.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was disappointed because some of the reviews said it was nice and dont believe the bad reviews...
I find it worrying that one lady has written 2-3 reviews on the Hotel Karawan saying how good it was bla bla bla, I wonder her motive, all the recents reviews were say how bad the hotel is.
Maybe the staff, animation team or partners of them are writing the reviews, so be aware... .
I will tell you my account, the hotel is not clean, the cleaners fill the buckets up in the pool. However I complained and they got better.
The food is basic and yes you do get what you had for lunch at dinner to but there is always something to eat, the place is cheap and right next to the beach.
The entertainment is zero, has the season stopped?? How anyone can say on here they work so hard, long hours and it is a hard life, the animation do nothing.
BUT the most important thing is how can any woman say the men are not sleazy, or they do not flirt, chase and try and rip off western women..
I got talking to one of the staff who said the animation team are all players and have partners and wifes, they just use western women, I mean go and enjoy your holiday but be realistic about what you want out of your holiday, if its fun and to spend all your money on these men, go for it, but do NOT say you have not been warned, I read the reviews and it was worse than I read.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Susie J
Reviewed 20 October 2013

this hotel is brilliant very clean the staff are lovely and nothing is too much trouble. the rooms are cleaned every day and i have no problem with anything in this hotel i strongley advise people to go see for themselves you will be pleased you did ... dont believe the bad comments you read go see for yourself i highly recommend this hotel ...... just across the road is a beach very clean and guys there are very nice and helpful .. also good if your taking kids lots to do ... again go see yourself its great

Room Tip: any room is good but i like the 4th floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank rhian-kathy
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a long review as everything was so bad. Rude ignorant bully restaurant manager, recycled food with mould on the cheese, bugs flying above the pizza and in the drinks, flies on the food and , everyone had Dehli belly and sickness. They refused to turn the air conditioning on during this unusually hot October so we all had to suffer especially in the restaurant where it was unbearable. Mosquito infested rooms (if the air-con was on it would have deterred them), deafening noise from just about every bit of the street so no sleep, no entertainment day or night, white wine run out and wasn't replaced as was just about every other drink in the place, no sink to even clean the plastic cups on the outside bar, inside not much better with what looked like toilet brushes attached to the sinks to give the cups a quick "clean". Cretin who stalked us all to death trying to force us into buying salon treatments or excursions and kept asking for cigarettes and small change for himself, got very stroppy when we didn't sign up for anything, pain in the backside to say the least and as sly as they come, he was as irritating as the constant flies that landed and landed and landed on us grrr. Disgusting old men using dirt poor young Tunisian men for their sexual depravities, some guests would be very at home on Jeremy Kyle, just disgusting. So many people use the toilet then don't wash their hands and then touch all the food, serving spoons etc. Hassled doesn't even come close to describing what happened every time you stepped outside, filthy rubbish strewn streets full of stray cats. I have stayed at many hotels in Tunisia and none were like this one, its a complete dumping ground.

Room Tip: You will be allocated a street view room unless you booked a sea view, be prepared to have no sleep...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank As-you-like-86
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Sorry english is not first language of mine. I came to karawan not to long ago. The hotel is very nice i like it. The room was big not too clean but was ok same with food. I just have warning for young girls like me espeicially who are pretty and nice. The animation people may seem nice and friendly and want to help and be friends but they not. They want money or sex and will say things like i want to marry you, you are special to me. If want money they say my family is ill or i do not have job anymore..i have met people who also been tricked to by tunisian men. Plase do not listen to them they lie no mater how nice they be or how they look. bewar of enzo, mido and any animation person. i have bin hurt do not want someone else hurt to. good hotel just be careful of staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank autumnleavesrain
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel Karawan resort and spa. Rated as 3* hotel! what a dive. Rooms smelt, had mold on the walls, not cleaned to a satisfactory standard. No air conditioning, got told they have to turn it off. We went all inclusive, arrived at 10.30pm to find no food available. Food horrible if not eaten it was carried over to next meal. No entertainment during the day. If you wanted a sun lounger on the beach you had to pay to use them.
Shopping in the Medina is a nightmare, you are constantly badgered from the time you arrive to the time you leave. If I want to look in a shop I would enter, no hassle come in my shop, [--] if even if you say no they still won't leave you alone.
People who say they did not pay for luxury you expect a decent standard of food and accommodation. We paid £1300 for this holiday which we had to move from September to October. We would of been better off giving it to a tramp.

Recommendation - avoid Tunisia like the plague, if you do go choose a 5* hotel and stay clear of the Karawan

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple