“Great Holiday - Manners goes a long way! Lovely staff!”

Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday - Manners goes a long way! Lovely staff!”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Myself and my partner have just returned from 2 weeks at the Thalassa Hotel. We had a great time and love the Tunisian people as much as they liked us! We travel all over the world and love to take in cultures of other countries.
Initially reading the reviews we were a little alarmed. Don’t be. Follow my easy guidelines and you will love the Thalassa Hotel and it’s staff. If you want all English/American fast food then don’t go to Tunisia, go to Benidorm (Blackpool with Sun) and don’t learn any new culture! However if you do want to go to Tunisia, read on

Reception Staff and accommodation
We arrived at the Thalassa Hotel at 10pm and were a little disappointed to have been allocated a room in the main hotel block as we had read that the Bungalows were slightly better and quieter. Having holidayed in Egypt for the past 5 years and had numerous altercations with Russians due to noise I vowed this holiday would not be the same. I told the reception manager this and explained that we required a quiet room. He advised that Russian people were placed in the bungalows and that mainly English were allocated to the main building. He advised any issues to go back and see him. Our third morning we returned back to reception to advise that the English folk next door to us along with the Russians opposite us had kept us awake for 2 nights now and we would like to be moved. I told him I preferred a bungalow out of the way. He advised to return at 12 o clock lunch time and he would show us alternative rooms available. We were shown 3 bungalows. The third bungalow was out choice but the air conditioning did not work. Within an hour, we had a brand new air conditioning unit fitted in our bungalow. We had no further issues with our room and the reception staff could not be any more polite or helpful when approached. Manners and gratitude goes a long way!!!! 

Bar Staff
There are numerous bars around the hotel and we never had to queue for a beer in a cold glass once! (Tipped 10 Dinars on the first day – Approx £4). The pool bar has an older waiter working there and he would not allow anyone else to get our drinks. He would not let us queue either. Little things like this make a holiday. 
There is also a Sports bar onsite which is 24 hours (free all inclusive to English People, Yes I did say 24 hours free all inclusive). I have travelled widely around the world and have never heard of a 24hour all inclusive bar. This was great as we could have a quiet drink without obnoxious/rude/greedy Russians, Perfect! 

Restaurant staff
The food available is Plentiful, however there is also a Pizza/Pasta station all day every day. The food is plentiful and they often had different nights like ‘Fish’ night etc. There is a lovely young lady chef who loves talking to English people and nicknamed my very picky partner the 5 minute man as he always wanted his omelette cooked that little bit longer. Lol. She found this very amusing that he liked everything well cooked but it made her day when he appeared and made the time to talk to her. If there is nothing at all you like in the main restaurant or you would like something added to your pizza/pasta then don’t be afraid to ask. The chefs will accommodate you. Just be polite. Your table waiters are also on hand to serve wine/beer /water at your table.
There is a lady called ‘Mona’ who sits outside the main restaurant and you can book daily with her to eat in the a’ la carte/Beach bbq restaurant. The a la Carte serves Chicken and Steak. (We ate there most days) Mona is lovely, very happy and wants to know if you have issues with your food.

Pools
There are 3 pools on the resort. The main pool is huge with slides and water features. Most activities are taken around this pool. Our second week we attended a pool ‘Foam’ party with the Bora Bora nightclub at our main pool from 12.00 until 4pm.. It was great and I know they intended to continue these Pool/Beach parties regularly. A live DJ, Poduim dancers and Bongo drum players – Amazing atmosphere!  
The Calm/Relax pool is situated close to the beach. It is what is says on the tin - Calm and relaxing.
The Indoor pool is adjacent to the leisure/health club.
The pool attendants will find you sun loungers if you can not locate one yourself. Just ask if you need to. The calm pool and the beach provides cushions for your loungers.

Animation Team
These guys are like Duracell batteries. They are all new staff (2 Months) and work non stop. The classes are some of the best I have ever seen abroad! I’m a trained instructor and these classes impressed me greatly. ‘Blackie’ takes these and is very good! The Animation team like you to take part but in the same respect they will leave you be if you say ‘No thanks’
The Michael Jackson night and the Irish Dancing night are a must! Cracking! 

We read reviews prior to going that stated that the animation team were like leaches and predators. Well WAKE UP!!!!! These are young men who have women of all ages throwing themselves at them. If you are so naïve to think otherwise then keep track of your teenage daughters and flirting wives and look after them yourselves. These people are not babysitters!!! This happens wherever you go! STOP being so Naïve!

Thing to remember
10 Dinars is approximately £4. Tip your waiter, the barman and the Pool/Beach guy and you will never be without a Sunlounger with padding, you’ll never have to queue for a drink and your table will always be reserved for you. Tip at the beginning of your holiday not at the end when your holiday is over!

Beware of the greedy, obnoxious Russians!
Stand your ground with the Russians pushing in and pleading ignorant. They will say they do not understand but English is a language they learn. They definitely understand. The good thing about thie staff at this hotel is that they will not allow the Russians to push in any queues. They will tell thewm there is a queue and will not serve them until it’s their turn if they refuse to join the queue (Love it!!!!!)
Don’t be greedy or wasteful with your food. Remember you are in a country where food is not plentiful. You are all inclusive, therefore you can return for more if required (No need to take out platefuls in your bag – The staff are aware of this and find it amusing but alarming that you need to do this)
Have manners and remember to use them!
People need to remember when visiting other countries that manners are free and you should treat people the way you expected to be treat yourself. Just because you are in a country where people are serving you, this does not give anyone free rain to treat these human beings who work exceptionally hard for little wages to be treat like dirt. (DON’T TURN INTO A RUSSIAN!!!!!)

Smile and make the effort to talk to the Tunisian staff. They love English interaction and they appreciate you making the effort.

REMEMBER
If your not happy with something, don’t just sit there seething until you get home as nothing can be done then. Speak to your rep or the Hotel reception staff and they will go out of there way to make your holiday a happy one.
They love English and want more English at their hotel.

Please do not be put off by people’s reviews. The hotel has been taken over about 2 months ago and they are trying their hardest to accommodate English. The hotel is constantly being updated and as we were leaving they were installing a new Pizza/Pasta snack bar and fitting all new Air conditioning systems. Like I have mentioned lots in this review, Be polite, take time to speak to all the staff from gardeners to managers and you will have a great holiday!

Kerry and Phil, Newcastle UK

Room Tip: Bungalows are quieter and slightly better accommodated.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank CheekyKB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Arrived home from Thalassa Sousse today after a week and I've never been happier to get home from a holiday! While the pool, beach and gardens are lovely and well kept a number of other factors made it a less than relaxing holiday.

The staff are unfriendly and don't care about customers- we had to wait over an hour for our room when we arrived, having been travelling since 3am, even though they knew we were coming. The reception staff are the rudest, arguing with customers and the staff shout at each other- the scary guest relations woman once stood in the restaurant screaming blue murder at one of the waiters.

The room was pleasant enough but the bed was harder than the floor, leaving bruises on my hips, the hair dryer gave up in a puff of smoke shortly after pointing it at my head, and the toilet seats are simply not made with humans in mind. On our last day the room lost electricity- 3 calls to reception (once they hung up on us) and 4 hours later when we were then in darkness we went looking for a handyman who swiftly detached a loosely wired lamp from the wall- hmm, safe.

The food selection is limited and they do not cater for kids- my son ate pizza for a week while my husband and I tried to determine what the food was and locate any meat without fat or bone, and anything with any flavour. Sadly neither were abundant, and I had a bad stomach for four days (the uncomfortable toilet seats didn't help). There are no snacks or ice creams available between meals.

The pools are very nice but if you can get a sunbed they are so sagging that you can't lie on them. The ones on the beach are cushioned and it was much nicer there- clean sea and sand, and good water sports. Everything appeared clean but my husband picked up a nasty ear infection.

A final caution about Tunisia- you can't take currency out of the country and you need your exchange receipt to change it back to sterling at the airport. No one told us this so we nearly lost £40, saved by a bit of luck as people in the queue behind us had a receipt they didn't need.

I would not recommend this hotel- wish we'd gone to Centreparks instead!

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank Rmaxw

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed an hour, and that was 60 minutes to long! We arrived at this hotel on the 30/05/2012 full of expectation after reading the thomson write up and viewing the on line photo's. When we arrived i noticed that all the tables in the reception had a sticky dirty glaze covering them. We had to wait for our room so were advised to go to the pool bar for a drink, my wife asked for a g @ t and was grunted at by the pig ignorant bar tender "not at this bar" who then proceded to serve a young german his drinks. I then asked for 2 diet cokes and was presented with 2 chewed, dirty plastic beakers.
We declined our drinks and made our way back to reception and were taken to our rooms. On entry it was clear that neither room was clean, black scum on the floor of the bathroom and filthy walls throughout. At this point the shower fell from the broken holder. I went through the room where the door was hanging off its hinges on the only cupboard in the room. Out on the dirty balcony were two chairs that were falling apart i reached up to the clothes drier on the wall which also fell from its rusty mounting. next door in my childrens bedroom was a very similar story with the added bonus of light switches hanging off the wall. i left the room to find the rep and found doors that were kicked in and a rusty fire escape.
We left shortly after! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
8 Thank stevegreenman
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just back from a weeks holiday at Thalassa Sousse with my daughter (aged 22). We booked this holiday for a mum and daughter chill-out week and that's exactly what we had!The staff in the hotel were all lovely, friendly and helpful.

As we were two women travelling alone, I did have my reservations after reading some of the reviews. I needn't have worried, although we (my daughter) did receive a lot of attention from the waiters etc, they were all very polite and we didn't feel at all threatened!

Our room was basic but very clean, we had fresh bedding and towels daily. The pools were lovely and they too are very well kept. There was always someone to make sure that we had a sunbed, table and parasol along with drinks! The animation team were fantastic, keeping everyone entertained both day and night! If you didn't want to join in, they left you alone!
I honestly cannot fault this hotel.

The food was ok, not brilliant but we didn't go hungry.You have to be prepared for tepid food when abroad! They do make pizza and pasta to order so we practically lived on that along with salad and bread.The desserts are fantastic!

I asked for extra pillows, help with the safety deposit box and I also asked for air conditioning (this apparently gets switched on 15th June) All of these things were sorted within minutes of me asking, I even got air con at no extra charge!!

There is a shopping centre just outside the hotel, turn left and about 10 mins walk. They sell everything that you could need from food to clothes, leather goods, souvenirs and toilettries but without the hassle of the Medina and probably just as cheap!!

I am not one for returning to the same place year after year (I like to try new places) but I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Tunisia! I think that as far as value for money goes ...this hotel comes up trumps!
This hotel has everything!

Room Tip: Take a couple of adapters or extensions as there is only 1 socket in the room plus 1 in the bathroom...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank sandraj_cook
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

just arrived back from holiday on 3rd june Reay clan. we had an amazing time complex is lovely staff are fantstic on beach we were well looked after and i carnt recommend enough room was immaculate / was bit worried re some reviews but all was well one best holidays i ever had breakfasts were superb n salds bar was fantastic as were the sweets only fault i had was the meat wasnt to a high standard but found this at most holiday destinations bar the four seasons in limassol were food is amazing .we were waited on hand n foot al la carte was very good as was beach bar bq. weather amazing . drinks were canny although im not a huge drinker red wine good and orange juice really refreshing will defo at some point be going back

thank you all staff and management your doing a great job

Room Tip: we had room 170 on 2nd floor was spotless
6 Thank julie h
Notts
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Visit Tunisia x2 every year this was the best hotel all round in the last few years / friendly staff / varied restaurants and food / Entertainers mixed with all guests!!! / Guest relations Mona was more than happy to help with any issues / will be going again next year .

8 Thank Joanne M
yorkshire
Reviewed 24 May 2012

After reading some of the reviews, we were a bit sceptical about this hotel an we were fearing the worst...it is true - dont always believe what you read!
We stayed for a week in May 2012and had a fab time -very relaxing.
ROOMS:
Rooms are nice , basic but clean. Everything worked fine and the maids cleaned and changed towels once a day - even scattering petals on the bed and in the bathroom
FOOD:
Food was plentiful and the restaurant is watched over as is the bar by a bevy of managers-ensuring the staff are quick, efficient and always polite. As soon as you sit down, waiters arrive asking which drink you would like an always on the ball clearing plates between courses. All the staff we found were very pleasant. Food was nice but they do need to cater more for english, although we did eat well. plenty of fresh salad, breads and the desserts were amazing.
HOTEL~
Its very clean and modern with an army of cleaners everywhere. Pool bars and also a beach restaurant altho you do have to book for that 24hrs prior.Lovely terrace for evening cocktails.
STAFF:
We found all the staff very pleasant. The waiters really looked after you and we didnt even tip until the end of our stay. Animation team are full on and work really hard but they are a good laugh and are very pleasant. There are the hotels security patrolling the beach which is great as they dont allow the sellars up and down the beach to hassle you in any way.
OVERALL:
If anything the only thing with this hotel is that it doesnt have many english - altho this can be a plus because all the staff love it when they realise you are english. they love chatting with you. I would recommend this hotel and for the price you can get it for, its a real bargain. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview you will get a room inbetween the beach and pools
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple