“7 Nights June 24th 2012”

Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 2 July 2012

All i would like to say is this hotel is great, i would recommend it to anyone! especially people with kids as the entertainment for them is all day and night and gives the adults a brake of their own. Food is continental so dont expect loads of english food as you wont get it, but then again you dont go on holiday for the food.. Rooms are really nice and cleaned every day with fresh towels. If you give anyone a small tip they will treat you extremely well all holiday and if you dont they are still very nice, they dont beg for tips at all and when you go out the hotel to the shops you dont get dragged in to buy things. Hotel and people are amazing!

We went here on our honeymoon and will definitively return sometime in the future!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are nice, We was in room 179
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Well after reading all the bad reviews on this hotel we were a little worried about going.
2 years ago i travelled to the maharba beach in sousse so i have something to compare too.
Travelled with 6 adults 2 children.
So here goes.

Well the hotel its self is great grounds are lovely pools are wicked and everything is so clean.
\the staff are great always happy to help, as we had been to Tunisia before we new tipping went along way so at the beginning of the holiday we found a lifeguard, waiter and barman and tipped them well, and for the rest of the holiday we had sunbeds every morning, drinks all day and a table an night so was great :)
Mr happy the waiter in the restaurant was great, it was my daughters 6th birthday on Saturday and he sorted everything lovely table all decorated, cake and all the waiters sang to her it made my day :)

The animation team are great, they work hard and the entertainment is great all day and night.
Coco, gofi and luca my personal favs.
Also the kids club is great my daughter couldn't keep away :)

The room, when we arrived we asked reception for 3 bungalows together for all off us, and they were more than happy top sort it out, we had 3 next to each other opening out on a nice bit of grass which was great for the kids and us :).
Although they are basic the showers lovely, the beds are comfy and there clean, thats all that matters to me.

The only Bad point of the holiday was the food, it wasn't great but the management no this and are sorting it we was told, there has been a new head chef recently that's has made it worse.
But when i say bad i don't mean unedible, the fresh pizzas are nice and so is the fresh pasta which is done every night the rest is edible but no great.

So in my view this hotel was better then the maharba beach but the food let it down,
Don't worry about the bad reviews on here it is a lovely hotel.
And as for afternoon snacks in the next few weeks there is a brand new pool restaurant opening for snacks between meals :)

One other thing that lets the hotel down is the Russians the are pig ignorant and rude.

Hope that helps

3  Thank benjio21
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Just arrived back today after spending 10 days at the resort, although our bungalow was very basic it was in a good location just a very short walk to the beach and one of the swiming pools, sadly thats the positives.
The hotel does not cater for uk visitors the food is repatative and awful added to that you have to queue for every part of the dish, they had so many complaints that two people from the head office visited and collected feedack forms,unless you want to queue at one location for pancakes you cant get food outside the specified eating times. There are no self service drinks and yes you have to queue for them. Three out of five of us were ill with stomach upset, i found the staff helpful but they want a tip evey time they help you. Some arguments among the staff reminded me of fawlty towers. Entertainment for adults in the evening is laughable and the animation team are only interestead in bedding as many females as possible. The rui at Kantoui puts this hotel to shame.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow in the 400 numbers.
2  Thank NorthantsHammer
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Myself and my partner have just returned from 2 weeks at the Thalassa Hotel. We had a great time and love the Tunisian people as much as they liked us! We travel all over the world and love to take in cultures of other countries.
Initially reading the reviews we were a little alarmed. Don’t be. Follow my easy guidelines and you will love the Thalassa Hotel and it’s staff. If you want all English/American fast food then don’t go to Tunisia, go to Benidorm (Blackpool with Sun) and don’t learn any new culture! However if you do want to go to Tunisia, read on

Reception Staff and accommodation
We arrived at the Thalassa Hotel at 10pm and were a little disappointed to have been allocated a room in the main hotel block as we had read that the Bungalows were slightly better and quieter. Having holidayed in Egypt for the past 5 years and had numerous altercations with Russians due to noise I vowed this holiday would not be the same. I told the reception manager this and explained that we required a quiet room. He advised that Russian people were placed in the bungalows and that mainly English were allocated to the main building. He advised any issues to go back and see him. Our third morning we returned back to reception to advise that the English folk next door to us along with the Russians opposite us had kept us awake for 2 nights now and we would like to be moved. I told him I preferred a bungalow out of the way. He advised to return at 12 o clock lunch time and he would show us alternative rooms available. We were shown 3 bungalows. The third bungalow was out choice but the air conditioning did not work. Within an hour, we had a brand new air conditioning unit fitted in our bungalow. We had no further issues with our room and the reception staff could not be any more polite or helpful when approached. Manners and gratitude goes a long way!!!! 

Bar Staff
There are numerous bars around the hotel and we never had to queue for a beer in a cold glass once! (Tipped 10 Dinars on the first day – Approx £4). The pool bar has an older waiter working there and he would not allow anyone else to get our drinks. He would not let us queue either. Little things like this make a holiday. 
There is also a Sports bar onsite which is 24 hours (free all inclusive to English People, Yes I did say 24 hours free all inclusive). I have travelled widely around the world and have never heard of a 24hour all inclusive bar. This was great as we could have a quiet drink without obnoxious/rude/greedy Russians, Perfect! 

Restaurant staff
The food available is Plentiful, however there is also a Pizza/Pasta station all day every day. The food is plentiful and they often had different nights like ‘Fish’ night etc. There is a lovely young lady chef who loves talking to English people and nicknamed my very picky partner the 5 minute man as he always wanted his omelette cooked that little bit longer. Lol. She found this very amusing that he liked everything well cooked but it made her day when he appeared and made the time to talk to her. If there is nothing at all you like in the main restaurant or you would like something added to your pizza/pasta then don’t be afraid to ask. The chefs will accommodate you. Just be polite. Your table waiters are also on hand to serve wine/beer /water at your table.
There is a lady called ‘Mona’ who sits outside the main restaurant and you can book daily with her to eat in the a’ la carte/Beach bbq restaurant. The a la Carte serves Chicken and Steak. (We ate there most days) Mona is lovely, very happy and wants to know if you have issues with your food.

Pools
There are 3 pools on the resort. The main pool is huge with slides and water features. Most activities are taken around this pool. Our second week we attended a pool ‘Foam’ party with the Bora Bora nightclub at our main pool from 12.00 until 4pm.. It was great and I know they intended to continue these Pool/Beach parties regularly. A live DJ, Poduim dancers and Bongo drum players – Amazing atmosphere!  
The Calm/Relax pool is situated close to the beach. It is what is says on the tin - Calm and relaxing.
The Indoor pool is adjacent to the leisure/health club.
The pool attendants will find you sun loungers if you can not locate one yourself. Just ask if you need to. The calm pool and the beach provides cushions for your loungers.

Animation Team
These guys are like Duracell batteries. They are all new staff (2 Months) and work non stop. The classes are some of the best I have ever seen abroad! I’m a trained instructor and these classes impressed me greatly. ‘Blackie’ takes these and is very good! The Animation team like you to take part but in the same respect they will leave you be if you say ‘No thanks’
The Michael Jackson night and the Irish Dancing night are a must! Cracking! 

We read reviews prior to going that stated that the animation team were like leaches and predators. Well WAKE UP!!!!! These are young men who have women of all ages throwing themselves at them. If you are so naïve to think otherwise then keep track of your teenage daughters and flirting wives and look after them yourselves. These people are not babysitters!!! This happens wherever you go! STOP being so Naïve!

Thing to remember
10 Dinars is approximately £4. Tip your waiter, the barman and the Pool/Beach guy and you will never be without a Sunlounger with padding, you’ll never have to queue for a drink and your table will always be reserved for you. Tip at the beginning of your holiday not at the end when your holiday is over!

Beware of the greedy, obnoxious Russians!
Stand your ground with the Russians pushing in and pleading ignorant. They will say they do not understand but English is a language they learn. They definitely understand. The good thing about thie staff at this hotel is that they will not allow the Russians to push in any queues. They will tell thewm there is a queue and will not serve them until it’s their turn if they refuse to join the queue (Love it!!!!!)
Don’t be greedy or wasteful with your food. Remember you are in a country where food is not plentiful. You are all inclusive, therefore you can return for more if required (No need to take out platefuls in your bag – The staff are aware of this and find it amusing but alarming that you need to do this)
Have manners and remember to use them!
People need to remember when visiting other countries that manners are free and you should treat people the way you expected to be treat yourself. Just because you are in a country where people are serving you, this does not give anyone free rain to treat these human beings who work exceptionally hard for little wages to be treat like dirt. (DON’T TURN INTO A RUSSIAN!!!!!)

Smile and make the effort to talk to the Tunisian staff. They love English interaction and they appreciate you making the effort.

REMEMBER
If your not happy with something, don’t just sit there seething until you get home as nothing can be done then. Speak to your rep or the Hotel reception staff and they will go out of there way to make your holiday a happy one.
They love English and want more English at their hotel.

Please do not be put off by people’s reviews. The hotel has been taken over about 2 months ago and they are trying their hardest to accommodate English. The hotel is constantly being updated and as we were leaving they were installing a new Pizza/Pasta snack bar and fitting all new Air conditioning systems. Like I have mentioned lots in this review, Be polite, take time to speak to all the staff from gardeners to managers and you will have a great holiday!

Kerry and Phil, Newcastle UK

Room Tip: Bungalows are quieter and slightly better accommodated.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank CheekyKB
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Arrived home from Thalassa Sousse today after a week and I've never been happier to get home from a holiday! While the pool, beach and gardens are lovely and well kept a number of other factors made it a less than relaxing holiday.

The staff are unfriendly and don't care about customers- we had to wait over an hour for our room when we arrived, having been travelling since 3am, even though they knew we were coming. The reception staff are the rudest, arguing with customers and the staff shout at each other- the scary guest relations woman once stood in the restaurant screaming blue murder at one of the waiters.

The room was pleasant enough but the bed was harder than the floor, leaving bruises on my hips, the hair dryer gave up in a puff of smoke shortly after pointing it at my head, and the toilet seats are simply not made with humans in mind. On our last day the room lost electricity- 3 calls to reception (once they hung up on us) and 4 hours later when we were then in darkness we went looking for a handyman who swiftly detached a loosely wired lamp from the wall- hmm, safe.

The food selection is limited and they do not cater for kids- my son ate pizza for a week while my husband and I tried to determine what the food was and locate any meat without fat or bone, and anything with any flavour. Sadly neither were abundant, and I had a bad stomach for four days (the uncomfortable toilet seats didn't help). There are no snacks or ice creams available between meals.

The pools are very nice but if you can get a sunbed they are so sagging that you can't lie on them. The ones on the beach are cushioned and it was much nicer there- clean sea and sand, and good water sports. Everything appeared clean but my husband picked up a nasty ear infection.

A final caution about Tunisia- you can't take currency out of the country and you need your exchange receipt to change it back to sterling at the airport. No one told us this so we nearly lost £40, saved by a bit of luck as people in the queue behind us had a receipt they didn't need.

I would not recommend this hotel- wish we'd gone to Centreparks instead!

• Stayed: June 2012
8  Thank Rmaxw
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed an hour, and that was 60 minutes to long! We arrived at this hotel on the 30/05/2012 full of expectation after reading the thomson write up and viewing the on line photo's. When we arrived i noticed that all the tables in the reception had a sticky dirty glaze covering them. We had to wait for our room so were advised to go to the pool bar for a drink, my wife asked for a g @ t and was grunted at by the pig ignorant bar tender "not at this bar" who then proceded to serve a young german his drinks. I then asked for 2 diet cokes and was presented with 2 chewed, dirty plastic beakers.
We declined our drinks and made our way back to reception and were taken to our rooms. On entry it was clear that neither room was clean, black scum on the floor of the bathroom and filthy walls throughout. At this point the shower fell from the broken holder. I went through the room where the door was hanging off its hinges on the only cupboard in the room. Out on the dirty balcony were two chairs that were falling apart i reached up to the clothes drier on the wall which also fell from its rusty mounting. next door in my childrens bedroom was a very similar story with the added bonus of light switches hanging off the wall. i left the room to find the rep and found doors that were kicked in and a rusty fire escape.
We left shortly after! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank stevegreenman
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just back from a weeks holiday at Thalassa Sousse with my daughter (aged 22). We booked this holiday for a mum and daughter chill-out week and that's exactly what we had!The staff in the hotel were all lovely, friendly and helpful.

As we were two women travelling alone, I did have my reservations after reading some of the reviews. I needn't have worried, although we (my daughter) did receive a lot of attention from the waiters etc, they were all very polite and we didn't feel at all threatened!

Our room was basic but very clean, we had fresh bedding and towels daily. The pools were lovely and they too are very well kept. There was always someone to make sure that we had a sunbed, table and parasol along with drinks! The animation team were fantastic, keeping everyone entertained both day and night! If you didn't want to join in, they left you alone!
I honestly cannot fault this hotel.

The food was ok, not brilliant but we didn't go hungry.You have to be prepared for tepid food when abroad! They do make pizza and pasta to order so we practically lived on that along with salad and bread.The desserts are fantastic!

I asked for extra pillows, help with the safety deposit box and I also asked for air conditioning (this apparently gets switched on 15th June) All of these things were sorted within minutes of me asking, I even got air con at no extra charge!!

There is a shopping centre just outside the hotel, turn left and about 10 mins walk. They sell everything that you could need from food to clothes, leather goods, souvenirs and toilettries but without the hassle of the Medina and probably just as cheap!!

I am not one for returning to the same place year after year (I like to try new places) but I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Tunisia! I think that as far as value for money goes ...this hotel comes up trumps!
This hotel has everything!

Room Tip: Take a couple of adapters or extensions as there is only 1 socket in the room plus 1 in the bathroom...
8  Thank sandraj_cook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
#4 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Le Marabout Hotel
Le Marabout Hotel
#15 of 36 in Sousse

Been to Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark? Share your experiences!