“Nearly 5* shame about the food”

Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
“Nearly 5* shame about the food”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We all had a good time and I would recommend the hotel to friends and family it's just a shame the food let this place down. We arrived at the hotel all was well we had to fill out a form which didn't take more than 10 minutes then given they key for the room. We was quite lucky as other people I've spoken to had to wait 4-5 hours because then wasn't ready or because there wasn't enough beds and they needed to put more in, anyway to rectify their mistake they seem to hand out complimentary massages if you don't complain to Thomsons anyway it didn't happen to me so just be aware. I paid to have a massage and I would definitely recommend it the best 100 dinar I've spent there. The people that hang around the pool do get annoying after a few hours as they keep pestering, I can handle once a day but sometimes it could be up to 3 times the worst one was the quad biking man in the end we booked an excursion with him so he would leave us in peace and I did enjoy the next 10 days without getting hassled. Please be careful of the man who offers a free trial of your name in Arabic it's not free and he has 2 prices which I think is expensive, go to the palm centre it's only 35 dinar. My 6 year old loved all the slides and there was nothing to complain about there, the lifeguards were great with him and as he's a confident great swimmer they let him go on them all by himself. The bar staff that come around the pool was bringing us drinks sometimes I would just tip 1 dinar every time or there was a few times I tipped 5 dinar and he would come back and for all of the time.
The only bad thing about this hotel is the food if you're not adventurous then I'm afraid you'll be living on pizza and chips. Personally I don't mind cold food and trying other things but unfortunately my husband is not one for eating cold bolognaise or carbonara so he wasn't best pleased, also the child buffet did have some raw kofta on there which we quickly took off my sons plate. We did try the English buffet for breakfast most mornings downstairs and most of the time their sausages were raw but after complaining 3-4 times they were still the same so we just didn't bother with them again. We tried all of the restaurants but found the Tunisian the best, the food from the Lebanese restaurant was also cold as we noticed they were BBQ the food early evening and keeping it until the later on but it was nice. It's just a shame you could only go once.
The cleanliness of the room was fab, the maid would come every morning she would change the towels daily and make pretty things out of our clothes. The welcome meeting isn't that great the rep could do with writing some bullet points down and making sure they go through them. We only found out the beach bar did pizzas after a few days and then we had to ask what time they were serving them (they are better than the ones in the main restaurant) also the English restaurant downstairs serves pancakes and croissants and sandwiches (which go very quick) they rep didn't tell us any of this we just found out by other people carrying stuff. I think every room should have a piece of paper with this info on as you'd assume it would be mentioned in the welcome meeting.
I nearly forgot to add the animation team, they are great with kids are on the go all day and they certainly don't get enough praise. The shows leave a lot to the imagination and I'm sure half of it is made up as it goes along but you have to laugh as they laugh at themselves. Got to say a big thanks to Sam and spider as they kept my son entertained throughout the holiday, I can't say it enough........thank you thank you.
I think I've covered everything.....oh and if you're wanting a nice meal out try farmers and that's the restaurant don't get confused with farmers grill as that's more of a fast food place a bit like Burger King which does a lovely iced coffee. I hope I've been helpful, please don't be put off by the food as the slides and kids club is enough to keep you going.

Room Tip: The room 119 has rubbish air con
8 Thank Kayleighreed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here from 29th June for two weeks. Arrived at the hotel at 10.30am to be told that our room would not be ready till after 2 o'clock, normally I wouldn't of minded this but we had 3 children with us and had been travelling from 2 am. Overall we had a lovely family holiday, a holiday is what you make of it but if there is a next time a week would be enough.

The first week at the hotel was horrendous, they had overbooked the hotel, because of this by the end of the week we could not bear to go into the restaurant, the noise and smell just put us all off. The food is fine if you want to eat cold uncooked meat, there is plenty to choose from if you know what your eating but most of the signs showed pictures of chickens but it clearly wasn't. We lived on salads and watermelon, I didn't diet before my holiday but certainly did whilst there. The children were happy with the usual chips and pizza. We don't expect the food to be English but just hot would do!! On the last day we found a microwave so enjoyed a hot meal on the last night. Also seen when down the beach on the BBQ they used the same tongs for raw and cooked meats. Often seen the waiters if someone had dropped a bread roll just pop it back on the pile. Thomson/first choice you really need to look into basic food hygiene!!!. Also they often ran out of plates and cutlery which was a pain and they should do waiter service for drinks, found this really annoying especially having to do the children's meals and your own then queue again for drinks. They would come to your table but only if you tipped them. They could do with opening another beach/snack place at lunchtime. They do have a restaurant by the beach but you are only allowed to reserve this once per week as they use this for the waterpark excursion guests.

Waterpark
Kids really enjoyed this and the pools, but my only gripe is that because they have trip excursions to the waterpark (often seen two big buses arrive most mornings, also people can pay on the door) so because if this you can never get on these until late afternoon. It eased the second week but the first week was terrible. Other than that the kids loved it.

Staff
Well unless your welsh, Russian or Polish you have no chance at this hotel. They clearly don't like the English and would tell the English they are sick if them. Often you would see long queues at the reps desk as reception were useless. The reps were very good. If you complained to the hotel I often seen reception staff shout back and on many occasions they said "me and you outside now" which made me quite scared. We had no air con for a few nights but didn't dare say anything! My husband all inclusive band had broke it took many trips to reception, they just come back in the morning or later, in the end I had enough and had to get the rep, the lady then quickly replaced them but 5 mins before that refused. They are the most unhelpful reception staff I have ever come across. As for Rachel and Harrison well if I'm honest I think they write a lot of these trip advisor reviews themselves, they weren't helpful with us, they only help the welsh, booked a restaurant for some welsh in front of me in the queue when I asked for the same night she said I was too early to book, this happened to others. Just stick to the rules Harrison, rather than favour the welsh. Notice most of the reviews are worded the same, all having "an amazing time" and then reeling names off, yes all the staff have names on but would you really remember every single one. Think someone is just keeping themselves and mates in jobs. Sorry if seem so negative and there were some lovely staff, our maid was fab, the older man in the pool bar hut was great, waiters were mostly good but because you tip them and the older man in the English restaurant at breakfast time was lovely. Animation staff and kids club were great, the compare on the night time got annoying but overall good, only thing was two of my children went in the club but because the staff didn't tell me where to collect or what time to collect them I didn't let them go in again, as we had to search hotel for them.

I agree with some of the reviews about health and safety, often they have wires across badly lit stairs and luckily my 3 year old remembered where the stairs were one night, as they had disco lights at the top of the stairs which blinded you, luckily he stopped but seen another child fall down. The stairs and walkways are lit by either spotlights or what I would just say tea lights so this isn't for the partially sighted.

Room
We had no problem with our room other than air con being faulty now and again. Maid was very good, good size and clean. Many were not so lucky. We were in the bungalows with a garden so was ideal for us, wouldn't of liked it if near beach as not very well lit up.

Towards the end of the second week the manager actually came out of his room and had a look about as you could see some of the staff actually cleaning tables and finding glasses, something that we never seen until towards the end.

Think this hotel could do with a good clean up ie no ripped cushions on chairs etc, serve hot food and not let it become repetitive then it could have the stars it says it has. Sorry to be long winded and I don't normally write reviews but felt I had to. Overall we did have a nice time, a holiday is what you make of it, if ever we came again we would just do a week, and give Ramadan a miss as they are understandably grumpy. Would highly recommend the Farners steakhouse in sousse, about 5 dinars in taxi, the meal only came to 60 pound for 7 people eating steaks with lagers It was lovely to have decent lager rather than what's at hotel. Also recommend a trip to the zoo.

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow near pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank lm1974
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We went as a family group ages between 4-64 and we all loved it. Travelled 30th june for 2 weeks.
We requested quiet bunaglows and that is what we had. We had a spacious family bungalow and was perfect. Cleaned everyday with new towels. Our cleaning lady was lovely.
food - my boys are picky but there was always something for them, chips, burgers, nuggets fish fingers or mash in the kids section. The fresh pizza was great as were the pasta dishes.
Im fussy also and hate spice but never had a problem finding something to eat and we all loved the chocolate brownies.
my husband got fed up of the repetitive food by the second week but he was alone on this- plus he doesnt eat veg and there were many choices of veg. But the only time we went AL when he didnt get bored was our honeymoon and a 5star so big price difference!
If you expect english food everyday choose a different hotel, you are in Tunisia after all.
We all loved the water park and never queued very long for anything. It is very irratating that it is sold as a water park excurision for other hotels though but as I said this never affected us.
yes you have people trying to sell trips - but this happens in other places.
We did the pirate trip £40 for our family of 4, the 3 men did the quads - no health and safety but for them it added to the fun. No way would I have taken my children. Banana boat - we didnt get flipped so a bit boring and parasailing - wonderful.
the beach is spotless. You do get sellers but just say no and they leave.
I would definately go back , as we had no problems at all. Request a quiet bunaglow.
ps we travelled with a very very pretty long haired blonde 11 year old and she had no problems from the men.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank kylie1981
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

From my families own experience and from the mixed reviews on here I would definitely say that the problem is down to inconsistencies from the hotel and Thompson. Tunisian residents and staff have very little idea of British holiday makers expectations unless Thompson advises them and monitors that these expectations are being met - this is not happening.

I traveled with my husband and two boys aged 4 & 7 and totally agree that there is no health and safety in place.

For example, my 7 year old son got out of the side of the pool & slipped straight into the plants (which surround the pool) the plants were CACTI !! He was scratched all over & we visited the little infirmary next to the main pool (only open 10 - 3 & there is a small charge)

There are wires & exposed/cut wires hanging around - be vigilant if you have inquisitive kids!

There are palm trees with huge 1000 watt bulbs illuminating them from the base & a toddler touched one & burnt his little hands.

If the marble floors/stairs surrounding the pools get wet - which they do, they become like ice rinks!

The free form pool is different depths at different sections, which can get deep very quickly & BECOME A PROBLEM FOR NON SWIMMERS!

They allow MALE ATTENDANTS into the female toilets to clean / refill loo role. This is a bit shocking, especially as some of the staff automatically believe that UK girls/women are sex maniacs and hot for any bloke & they try to push into your cubicle to 'change the loo roll' whilst you are trying to shut the door! - they try their luck (especially if you are blonde)

It is NOT 24 hour all inclusive. Between lunch and tea/dinner (which does not start until 6.30)
there is nothing to eat. Other than pancakes from a small stand & the queue is massive. At 11pm, after the evening entertainment, my husband and I were starving & there is NOTHING to eat & NO vending machines - we had to stock up at the local mini market, about 10 mins (not totally safe walk) from the hotel. It was not safe for kids really, again with the lack of health & safety, but there were exposed wires, building sites of new hotels with broken down & sharp, wire fenses over hanging the path. There was a street light that had been pulled down but the wires still exposed on the path. There was broken glass all over & sometimes a path, sometimes you had to walk on the road. There was a 10 foot drop down one side of the path at one point, overlooking piles of dumped rubbish & glass & some dogs roaming free. We were glad to get back to the hotel even if we were going stir crazy!

THE FOOD - probably OK if you go for 1 week, we went for two and were sick of the sight of it by the end. They do a mix of flavourless traditional food, lots of liver, kidney dishes & full fish (head/skin/bones) They do not do chips for every meal which upset my eldest. I expected more choice of spicey/curry dishes - there wasn't even one to my suprise. The pizza was homemade & ok. The breakfast was good & desserts 'looked' nice but were all very samey. Dissapointed with the food & lack of selection. You can eat at the 'restaurants' only once per stay. Only the Tunisian one is worth booking! The English one looks nice, but is just a small version of the buffet in the main restaurant.

You have to tip all staff to get any service, we expected to tip and did so freely, though this was the only reason we were served, which was very infrequent. I expected to have the choice of house spirits but there is no malibu/tia maria etc, just house beer (watered down), wine & cocktails (which are just like sugar water with their own alcohol - I stopped specifying which cocktail I would like as they just made it up as they went along and I got an unidentifiable mix each time!

If you don't tip the waiters, you will not get a drink. Even if you tip the waiters, you will still not get a drink - you have already paid for your drink so it's annoying when you cannot get served something you have already paid for!

We found the staff, waiters & reception staff to be helpful, friendly & professional (especially if you were nice to them or if tipped them!)

They give you an A4 sheet with details of 'expected tips to give' at the start of your holiday - we tipped the waiters 2 - 5 dinar and the room cleaners 10 dinar a week (about £3.50) as per the table. Our room was cleaned to a reasonable standard.

Outside the hotel is daunting. I would not recommend this holiday for families with girls aged between 5 - 20 - ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE BLONDE!!! as they/you will get constantly hassled from locals & staff & animation team.

THEY OPEN THE DISCO UP TO LOCALS ON A WEEKEND!!! 11pm - 2am Be aware if you were considering letting your teanagers go (especially girls, ESPECIALLY BLONDE GIRLS)
Yes this disco causes noise also if you are in the hotel or in a bungalow near it :-(
TAKE EAR PLUGS. The animation team rehearse from 7am in the outside arena, so you will be woken up if you are near that. The cleaning staff don't seem to respect that you may want to sleep at 7am & are also noisy, I had to open our front door to give them a piece of my mind about their loud conversation & the cleaning guy was openly weeing on the grass outside our bungalow!

The evening entertainment was 8pm mini disco, then family/adult entertainment until 11ish.
When the animation team get to know you they include you in dances & shows (my husband was in two shows & I was pulled up to dance twice) The animation team manager is great & speaks around 12 different languages, which is handy as there are a mix of UK, Polish, Russian, French & German tourists to entertain. Some of the shows had us in stitches!

On the plus side, there are life guards at every pool and every slide. The pools & slides are very good. The beach is lovely. There is a beach grill, we saw it cooking twice (in 2 weeks) I went up to get what we thought were bits of meat/steak - though the 1st bite proved it was actually liver! YUCK! Or you could have a full fish (head/skin/bones)

We went on the QUADS - again, no health & safety & I could see the potential for accidents as you cross a few main roads & the quads looked tatty but we actually enjoyed it, especially the boys! Wear sun glasses or your eyes will get full of dirt/dust & your clothes with get FILTHY.

We went to the ZOO - we did't go with the reps as you had to be up to leave at 7.30am & miss breakfast. We booked a private taxi (through reception) & went ourselves - the taxi waited for us & we had a good 2 hours. We fed a giraffe, saw (& felt sorry for) lions & tigers. The enclosures are small & they electrify the trees in them so the animals have nothing much to do.

We went to the MEDINA - DO NOT GO WITH YOUNG BLONDE GIRLS - they/you will be harrassed & followed. The little cobbled pathways were covered in what smelt like urine, the toilet was the most vile, disgusting toilet I have ever had to go to! The shop guy had to sit outside my cubicle door to stop any man from peering over the top! There are no sinks/soap & if I could have held it in I would have done, just filthy & vile.
We got haggled to death & felt like we'd been had as the shop keepers accost you & will not let you go/move on. You feel exhausted by it all! Lots of fake goods & tat, some nice stuff but you have to haggle & risk being swore at.

You DO get constantly hassled by the touts round the pool, selling the boat trip, spa massage etc - this got really annoying by the end of our 2 week trip, even with after politely saying no, then saying no firmly, then ignoring them.

We went PARA SAILING on the beach - 100 dinar (about £40) for two people, for 15 mins - we enjoyed it!

The peddelows on the beach are FREE!

The CHILDRENS CLUB - this is such a disapointment, very small with little to do other than a small, outside climbing frame. NO GATE on the outside play area & my 4 year old climbed through the fence, we decided NOT to leave him there in the end.

Planning to use the LAUNDRY SERVICE? Think again! You have to send your clothes away & there's a 48 hour turn around. Childs tops /shorts 5 dinar each (£1.50 each) Ladies dresses 12 dinar (around £4 each!) I ended up hand washing our clothes in the bath!

There was a siren like alarm that kept waking me & my hubby up at around 5am, this was in or around the hotel grounds somewhere but it was rather annoying.

If you love swimming & slides, don't care much about health & safety, don't have girls (especially blonde girls, if I have not said this enough already!) in the family, you aren't bothered about food & drink and are happy to stay near the hotel, then this may be ideal for you! Good luck!

We went for two weeks, I would recommend you only book for 1 week & then the food wont become too repetitive & you may not see too may health & safety risks & you wont go too stir crazy being cooped up in the hotel. We do not recommend this hotel & will not go again, saying that, we made the most of it & made some great friends!

I didn't want to focus on any negatives whilst we were there so I didn't take picks of the food, drinks etc. Sorry for lack of pics.......

Room Tip: Get a bungalow away from the hotel disco & buy some bug spray!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ginarich76
Reviewed 19 July 2014

On arrival at 10.30am we were told that we could not check into our rooms until 2.30pm but we were given our all inclusive wrist bands and invited to enjoy the full hotel facilities - bar, pool, water park and lunch when the restaurant opened. So we chilled on the terrace whilst our sons checked out the pool areas. Our bags were being taken care off by the reception porter. We were a little concerned that they didnt seem to be secure but everything was fine.
When we got our rooms it was nice that they have given us 2 rooms next to each other but we were disappointed that we had a first floor room in one of the small apartment blocks, with no view. We would have liked a bungalow in the gardens. However this turned out to be a benefit as we had no one going past our balconies and the sun didn't shine in the windows all day long, keeping the rooms cool. The bungalows are lovely and spread around the complex BUT everyone is walking past your window and unless you are at the back of the complex you will not have much privacy.
The rooms were clean and although in need of a refurbishment and a lick of paint, they were adequate for our needs - somewhere clean and cool to sleep/wash. We did not intend to spend anytime in the rooms and we didn't; there was too much to do.
There are a number of restaurants in the hotel which you can book and of course the main buffet restaurant, there is no need to book this. Many people complained about the food (the chips and pizza brigade that turn up everywhere). We thought the food was good and there was plenty of selection at every meal. Myself and my partner are vegetarians and never struggled to have a good meal/choice and selection every meal. Our sons eat practically everything and always tried something new each meal. Breakfast has the cereals and meat and cheese selection that you would expect, also a hot counter with traditional Tunisian breakfast foods, there was an omelette stand and also freshly made pancakes every morning. Lunch and dinner had soup, breads, a hot plate of specialties, a local special choice dish, a heated selection of vegetable and meat dishes, dozens of salads and deserts and ice cream. There was also a low level kids buffet area. We failed to see how anyone couldn't find something to their liking. We also booked the Arabesque restaurant which was a fun experience and although there was no menu we were able to eat what was brought to us, swapping meat for vegetables with our sons - so everyone was happy!
We found that if we give the waiters a couple of dinar they would bring drinks to your table and after 2 nights they remembered us and brought our drinks without ordering. Some people didn't like tipping but really, a couple of dinar wont break the bank and it gave us good service.
Tipping also worked in the bar area. This is a poor country and they get paid about £80sterling a month! If you asked for cocktails it was always a surprise but this was nice on holiday - a bit fun! We gave good tips and got large glasses of most drinks but some people complained that their drinks were in small glasses!
The seating and decor could all do with a bit of TLC but it didn't spoil our holiday.
The pool areas and the water park areas are great for both big and small kids. We all had a great time. If you want to lounge by the pool and cant find a sunbed the lifeguards will always help. There were usually plenty of beds though because the hotel grounds are huge and you can lie by 4 different pool areas, gardens, water park or on the beach! The beach area was nice too and the beach bar was good with optional waiter service.
There is a spa which offer many treatments. I had the full body sports massage and a pedicure which cost about £40 sterling total.. it was good.
The animation team do their best and everyday came out round the pool and did their little club song and dance which many people joined in on.. which was nice. The entertainment didnt appeal to us in the evening but our sons joined in with the pool games every day and had a great time.
The hotel has mixed reviews and it was clear to see that many people expected 5*service at what is really just a 3*package hotel by UK standards.

Situated between Kantaoui and Sousse we enjoyed having the choice of where to go to. It is a safe place and you can go out and walk around in the evening. it will cost about 5dinar (£2-3quid sterling) for 10 minute ride to either place. We took taxis and we also walked to both sousse and kantaoui. it was about 1hr walking - which we enjoy but that's not for everyone :-)

Overall this was a great holiday for us and if you go expecting to have fun at a 3* package holiday hotel then you will enjoy it.

WIFI - you can get free wifi at the hotel - just ask at reception and believe it or not it worked best by the pool or on the hotel beach! not much signal in our room but sometimes on our balconies!

We would go back to this place for a family holiday - it was safe, fun and cheap!

Room Tip: if you want a pool view or a sea view then you need to book this with your tour operator as the hote...
4 Thank nandm71
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our original booking was for another complex and was changed by Thomson, although originally disappointed, once we arrived we were more than happy. The rooms were fantastic, we had 2 bungalows next door to each other in a perfect position. Rooms were clean and cool (aircon in all rooms) and a travel cot was provided for us. The pools, aqua park and all entertainment (day and night) were amazing and kept us all constantly entertained. All staff were friendly and couldn't be more helpful. Food was great, I'm a vegetarian and 2 of our children are fussy eaters but there was so much choice we were always full. There was never a long queue at the bars. The photographer took some fantastic pics of us that we purchased at only 6 dinars each on a disc!! The only downside was the aggressive English family that complained about everything, I was shocked as I was stood nearby at reception, some people are just rude and the staff should not have to put up with that. The staff work extremely hard and were always friendly and helpful. They get paid a pittance and anyone that is not happy to give a small tip for good service should choose a different country to travel too. for tipping the waiter 3 dinars a day (just over £1) we had a table and high chair saved for us with our drinks all ready, petals and flowers on the tablecloth and napkins made into all kinds of creations.
We will 100% be going back, ignore negative reviews and go enjoy, you wont be disappointed. Suitable for all ages.

6 Thank castleroberts5
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

what can i say the whole holiday was brilliant.
we originally booked to go to a different resort but soon after found out that thomsons had pulled out of the hotel so they moved me and my family to this resort
when we arrived we were very happy with the look of the pools and the kids just wanted to jump straight in. The rest of the holiday was brilliant, the hotel had many restaurants that you could book 24hours in advance but the main restaurant you just walked in to. We stayed at the same table and with the same waiters for the all meals for a small tip you get extras like reserved table, drinks ready and top ups as soon as your glass is empty.
There was a bar next to all the pools so you could get soft drinks and alcoholic drinks all day long. Around the main pool the was waiter always walking around all day picking up your empty glasses and asking you if you wanted a top up.
the aqua park that part of the hotel was also brilliant all the slides was great fun even my big kid came out of me and i was up on the slide before my kids.
All the staff was so friendly they always had a smile on there faces which made you feel happy and were happy to help you do anything to make your stay fun. The entertainment at night was great for the kids as thay did most things in different languages which was good as my girls recognized some words they were learning at school. The animation team have so much energy and enthusiasm for their work it was just fantastic they were around all day getting as many people involved in the activities but they never forced you to do anything you didn't want to.
The rooms was basic but was always kept clean by the maids who always made the bed sheets in to shaped and changed the towels every morning, are rooms had a/c, TV with English channels what you had to put a deposit down for the control.
i would highly recommend anyone to go for their holidays and i would differently take my family back

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow mine was grate and people who we spoke to liked there rooms to
3 Thank Phil R