“Very good”

Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Bridgend
“Very good”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had a week stay with the family enjoyed it will be coming back, nice friendly staff, found Harrison made our stay better as she couldn't help enough and made it easier with English speaking staff , enjoyed the entertainment tem Carlo and campa , lots of fun and water activities , lovely beach , hope to see them all again nxt yr the Morgan family

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Danielwelsh1980

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are an English family of 5, the youngest child being 14 years old, staying for 11 nights.

The first impression was the friendliness and willingness of the staff to do anything and everything you may need.
When we first arrived at 23:00, the porter showed us to our rooms, which were originally separate from each other but the situation was resolved within minutes. There was also a spread on in the downstairs bar for us to have a snack after the flight.

FOOD - good quality and wide range in all the restaurants,the favourite had to be the set menu in the Tunisian restaurant. It was possible to have food at all times of the day - the main restaurant was open at lunch and dinner but it was possible to get food at all times of the day from other bars (the American and English bar did early breakfast from 4am, and has snacks during the day. The beach bar will also make pizzas to order after lunch and in the evening). No complaints about drinks - there was no limit on the bottles of water at all.

STAFF - again, very friendly. Had a couple of problems with the tv not working and the all inclusive band breaking, everything always resolved instantly without any fuss. Generally felt very welcome, everyone always said hello etc, which really added to the stay.

ANIMATION - fantastic group of people. They were always up for a laugh and a bit of fun, which helped to get everyone involved in their activities (don't be shy, join in!!). Many thanks to all of them - Sam, Gogo, Camps, Saida, Mario, Nino and Carlo in particular! They put a lot of effort into creating shows and games during the day, can't fault them.

WATER PARK - great addition to the park. Quick moving queues due to the efficiency and friendliness of the lifeguards.

ROOMS - cleaned daily, plus new sheets and towels, with air con, so no complaints at all.

TIPPING - different process to England, it is not uncommon to tip one of the pool waiters as you order a drink to show your gratitude rather than afterwards. Also, we decided to tip regularly as we were so impressed with all of the staff.

OUTSIDE - went outside a few times and enjoyed ourselves. Visited El Jem colosseum, very impressive. Don't be put off by reviews mentioning that it is scary, we travelled with a pretty 22year old girl and aside from a few hellos there really is nothing else to it (same goes for elsewhere, people are generally friendlier and more outgoing than in England). The attitude and behaviour associated with markets and shopping is different to England, but there are fixed price shops nearby to the hotel if you'd rather avoid the intensity of the market.

All in all we had a lovely holiday and will be recommending this hotel to all of our friends, and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014
14 Thank mrf1992
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel from the 29th June until the 13th July we are a family of 4 with a 6 year old girl and 16 month old boy. We had a fab holiday and were hoping to go back for a week in October but unfortunately its all booked up.

Firstly we were very well looked after by the lovely waiters at the Beach bar yes we tipped but they worked very hard and made sure we were never without without a drink making our holiday more relaxing which isn't that easy with a small toddler. So we would like to say a massive thank you to Anis Ameri Saber Ben Soaol Adel Mnetfin ( hope we spelt your names right ) .

Also a big thank you to the life guards around the kids pool always helped us get sun beds in the spot we liked even when we came to the pool around lunchtime.

The food was better than most all inclusive hotels we have tried and only 1 night out of the 14 did we struggle to find something we liked so cant complain really.

The entertainment team worked very hard and both our children enjoyed the mini disco. I agree some more outside entertainment would be a nice addition.

Our maid was lovely but I do feel the hotel doesn't seem to have enough towels !!! Some days we weren't left enough,so something as simple as that shouldn't be happening really and hopefully this will be rectified.

Overall we had a lovely time and will hopefully go back in the future.

4 Thank LPMP1822
kent, uk
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Thalassa in Sousse from 23.6.14 to the 7-7-2014. This was our third consecutive year we have visited Tunisia, previously staying at the hotel Sahara Beach in Monistair, however was our 1st year booking a holiday for a party of 6 people using first choice, in future first choice will be our last choice as I have never felt so let down by a uk travel company, despite being informed by john and Katie the first choice hotel reps that the hotel thalassic is getting some 75 complaints a week and has a back log of 1000 complaints, I myself have a ongoing complaint logged with first choice and there after travel team back in the uk are terrible, they don’t answer the phone neither do they confirm receiving emails.

Now to the hotel itself, well what can I say, watered down drinks that give every one upset stomachs as local water appears to be being used, very alarming health and safety issues man hole covers with no covers, electric wires being left exposed etc. Next door to this hotel there is a building site in progress.

Eating time is like a cattle market often food running out so whilst waiting for the food to be replenished what you had on your plate has gone cold, poor choice of food, often the plates would run out so you had to wait for more plates, Cleaners not cleaning your rooms thoroughly, some days they don’t make your beds, they don’t leave enough toilets rolls or towels and do not replenish your soaps and we certainly tipped our maid more than enough.

You are hassled constantly by the camel man, the quad bike man and the massage man, THEY all need to accept the word no as being final. The hotel management are rude, the night animation is rubbish, in our two weeks staying at this dump we see one good show a guy called fakir who does a very good show however the other shows start with bingo or a kids disco and these are tedious to watch infact it was like torture lol, its not like you can get drunk watching this crap as the drinks are watered down.

So there must be some good points right, well that would be the water park in the hotel, and the hotels location being close to both port el-kantaoui and the medina in sousse both cost 10 dinar each way via the yellow cabs.

I opened this by stating that I have been to Tunisia over the last three years, we are not ones for staying in the hotel grounds as we like to see the culture, we have visited monistair, sousse, port el-kantaoui, and travelled by yellow taxi, noddy train, horse and cart, by no means have I been put of going back as we always enjoy the hustle and bustle of Tunisia, however I will never again use first choice and neither will I stay in the hotel thalassic again…

Tunisia is a great country with some very decent people living there, however you need to remember there income is very poor, and there ways are so different to ours, having said this a small tip and a pleasant thank you will go along way. Please don’t be the uk travellers who don’t leave your hotel, get out there and spend your money where it is really needed, if you don’t like to be hassled then I would suggest you start by going down to port-el kantaoui this is pretty hassle free, then maybe take a taxi to monist air, and once you have a feeling for the local ways you must give the medina in sousse a shot here you can barter till your hearts content.

A good value for money day out is on the pirate ships in sousse, we paid 70 din for a party of six which included free meals ie fish, salad and bread and a animation show whilst anchored, again haggle the price and if you don’t get the price you want then walk away and you will get called back 99% of the time.

So summing ups as always Tunisia is a great place, first choice will be our last choice and the hotel thalassa we will never go back to….

11 Thank cfc1seanbad
Rachael G, Guest Relations Manager at Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on TripAdvisor for LTI Thalassa Sousse. There was an unfortunate power cut when you were here on holiday which I believe was dealt with efficiently and promptly. The maintainence men came to your room straight away and took care of the situation. We did inform you of this, so I do not understand why you felt the need to wake your children up in the middle of the night and take them outside the room. I feel the need to take pictures was not necessary and the maintainence men were working hard to resolve the problem. The plugs were being checked while you were present, and they did not once leave the area unattended. Once everything had been fixed the area was then tidied up and left.

Kind Regards,

Rachael Gwyther
Guest Relations

Travellers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Travelled in June as a family of 4. 2 children age 3 and 4.

We found the food quite reasonable for the 3 stars. We found plenty to eat at the buffet for the children and in no way had to live off pizza and chips. My children aren't fussy though and are used to eating couscous, tagines etc.
My only gripe is the lack of fresh fruit. It was very limited and we really missed apples and bananas.
The best food though was in the al la carte restaurants. (4 visits per stay but we managed 10 trips with no one querying it)
It was a set menu in all but the English restaurant so no choice but the quality was delicious.

Drinks
As expected for an all inclusive. Weak beer, sugary soft drinks, limited cocktails.

Water
Some have complained that one bottle of water token is not enough and I would agree. However, that is just your 'overnight' bottle and I just asked a waiter for one every time I needed one and there was no problem and no need for a voucher.

Entertainment
Unfortunately this was awful. The kids disco was fine but the set up of the amphitheatre makes it difficult to settle somewhere for the evening

Day time entertainment was there if you needed it but wasn't pushed upon you.

We didn't use the kids clubs so can't comment.

Slides/pools
Absolutely fantastic. Loads of life guards, quick moving queues and it was good to see the health and safety brigade hadn't reached Tunisia.
Lilos and water floats were allowed and we were allowed to go down slides with the children on laps at first.
No problem getting a bed/umbrella at any time of day but we were up at 7.30 to get the spot we wanted

Tipping
It is expected and your service is better as a result. As English we are used to tipping FOR a good service, here you get good service after you've tipped. Maybe the wrong way round but we never wanted for anything.
Always had drinks brought to us around pool/beach or restaurant. We always were found a table during busy lunch times and one life guard moved a heavy umbrella half way around the resort when I needed one.
In two weeks we spent £50 on tips from bar men to lifeguards to cleaners and it was worth every penny.

Cleanliness
Pool tables and sun beds were never wiped down, table cloths were sometimes dirty, bed linen was generally ok.
But to be fair if we asked for something to be cleaned it was.

Overall
If they fixed the entertainment this hotel would be fantastic value for what we paid and we would be back in a instant.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Samantha E
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We all had a good time and I would recommend the hotel to friends and family it's just a shame the food let this place down. We arrived at the hotel all was well we had to fill out a form which didn't take more than 10 minutes then given they key for the room. We was quite lucky as other people I've spoken to had to wait 4-5 hours because then wasn't ready or because there wasn't enough beds and they needed to put more in, anyway to rectify their mistake they seem to hand out complimentary massages if you don't complain to Thomsons anyway it didn't happen to me so just be aware. I paid to have a massage and I would definitely recommend it the best 100 dinar I've spent there. The people that hang around the pool do get annoying after a few hours as they keep pestering, I can handle once a day but sometimes it could be up to 3 times the worst one was the quad biking man in the end we booked an excursion with him so he would leave us in peace and I did enjoy the next 10 days without getting hassled. Please be careful of the man who offers a free trial of your name in Arabic it's not free and he has 2 prices which I think is expensive, go to the palm centre it's only 35 dinar. My 6 year old loved all the slides and there was nothing to complain about there, the lifeguards were great with him and as he's a confident great swimmer they let him go on them all by himself. The bar staff that come around the pool was bringing us drinks sometimes I would just tip 1 dinar every time or there was a few times I tipped 5 dinar and he would come back and for all of the time.
The only bad thing about this hotel is the food if you're not adventurous then I'm afraid you'll be living on pizza and chips. Personally I don't mind cold food and trying other things but unfortunately my husband is not one for eating cold bolognaise or carbonara so he wasn't best pleased, also the child buffet did have some raw kofta on there which we quickly took off my sons plate. We did try the English buffet for breakfast most mornings downstairs and most of the time their sausages were raw but after complaining 3-4 times they were still the same so we just didn't bother with them again. We tried all of the restaurants but found the Tunisian the best, the food from the Lebanese restaurant was also cold as we noticed they were BBQ the food early evening and keeping it until the later on but it was nice. It's just a shame you could only go once.
The cleanliness of the room was fab, the maid would come every morning she would change the towels daily and make pretty things out of our clothes. The welcome meeting isn't that great the rep could do with writing some bullet points down and making sure they go through them. We only found out the beach bar did pizzas after a few days and then we had to ask what time they were serving them (they are better than the ones in the main restaurant) also the English restaurant downstairs serves pancakes and croissants and sandwiches (which go very quick) they rep didn't tell us any of this we just found out by other people carrying stuff. I think every room should have a piece of paper with this info on as you'd assume it would be mentioned in the welcome meeting.
I nearly forgot to add the animation team, they are great with kids are on the go all day and they certainly don't get enough praise. The shows leave a lot to the imagination and I'm sure half of it is made up as it goes along but you have to laugh as they laugh at themselves. Got to say a big thanks to Sam and spider as they kept my son entertained throughout the holiday, I can't say it enough........thank you thank you.
I think I've covered everything.....oh and if you're wanting a nice meal out try farmers and that's the restaurant don't get confused with farmers grill as that's more of a fast food place a bit like Burger King which does a lovely iced coffee. I hope I've been helpful, please don't be put off by the food as the slides and kids club is enough to keep you going.

Room Tip: The room 119 has rubbish air con
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Kayleighreed
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here from 29th June for two weeks. Arrived at the hotel at 10.30am to be told that our room would not be ready till after 2 o'clock, normally I wouldn't of minded this but we had 3 children with us and had been travelling from 2 am. Overall we had a lovely family holiday, a holiday is what you make of it but if there is a next time a week would be enough.

The first week at the hotel was horrendous, they had overbooked the hotel, because of this by the end of the week we could not bear to go into the restaurant, the noise and smell just put us all off. The food is fine if you want to eat cold uncooked meat, there is plenty to choose from if you know what your eating but most of the signs showed pictures of chickens but it clearly wasn't. We lived on salads and watermelon, I didn't diet before my holiday but certainly did whilst there. The children were happy with the usual chips and pizza. We don't expect the food to be English but just hot would do!! On the last day we found a microwave so enjoyed a hot meal on the last night. Also seen when down the beach on the BBQ they used the same tongs for raw and cooked meats. Often seen the waiters if someone had dropped a bread roll just pop it back on the pile. Thomson/first choice you really need to look into basic food hygiene!!!. Also they often ran out of plates and cutlery which was a pain and they should do waiter service for drinks, found this really annoying especially having to do the children's meals and your own then queue again for drinks. They would come to your table but only if you tipped them. They could do with opening another beach/snack place at lunchtime. They do have a restaurant by the beach but you are only allowed to reserve this once per week as they use this for the waterpark excursion guests.

Waterpark
Kids really enjoyed this and the pools, but my only gripe is that because they have trip excursions to the waterpark (often seen two big buses arrive most mornings, also people can pay on the door) so because if this you can never get on these until late afternoon. It eased the second week but the first week was terrible. Other than that the kids loved it.

Staff
Well unless your welsh, Russian or Polish you have no chance at this hotel. They clearly don't like the English and would tell the English they are sick if them. Often you would see long queues at the reps desk as reception were useless. The reps were very good. If you complained to the hotel I often seen reception staff shout back and on many occasions they said "me and you outside now" which made me quite scared. We had no air con for a few nights but didn't dare say anything! My husband all inclusive band had broke it took many trips to reception, they just come back in the morning or later, in the end I had enough and had to get the rep, the lady then quickly replaced them but 5 mins before that refused. They are the most unhelpful reception staff I have ever come across. As for Rachel and Harrison well if I'm honest I think they write a lot of these trip advisor reviews themselves, they weren't helpful with us, they only help the welsh, booked a restaurant for some welsh in front of me in the queue when I asked for the same night she said I was too early to book, this happened to others. Just stick to the rules Harrison, rather than favour the welsh. Notice most of the reviews are worded the same, all having "an amazing time" and then reeling names off, yes all the staff have names on but would you really remember every single one. Think someone is just keeping themselves and mates in jobs. Sorry if seem so negative and there were some lovely staff, our maid was fab, the older man in the pool bar hut was great, waiters were mostly good but because you tip them and the older man in the English restaurant at breakfast time was lovely. Animation staff and kids club were great, the compare on the night time got annoying but overall good, only thing was two of my children went in the club but because the staff didn't tell me where to collect or what time to collect them I didn't let them go in again, as we had to search hotel for them.

I agree with some of the reviews about health and safety, often they have wires across badly lit stairs and luckily my 3 year old remembered where the stairs were one night, as they had disco lights at the top of the stairs which blinded you, luckily he stopped but seen another child fall down. The stairs and walkways are lit by either spotlights or what I would just say tea lights so this isn't for the partially sighted.

Room
We had no problem with our room other than air con being faulty now and again. Maid was very good, good size and clean. Many were not so lucky. We were in the bungalows with a garden so was ideal for us, wouldn't of liked it if near beach as not very well lit up.

Towards the end of the second week the manager actually came out of his room and had a look about as you could see some of the staff actually cleaning tables and finding glasses, something that we never seen until towards the end.

Think this hotel could do with a good clean up ie no ripped cushions on chairs etc, serve hot food and not let it become repetitive then it could have the stars it says it has. Sorry to be long winded and I don't normally write reviews but felt I had to. Overall we did have a nice time, a holiday is what you make of it, if ever we came again we would just do a week, and give Ramadan a miss as they are understandably grumpy. Would highly recommend the Farners steakhouse in sousse, about 5 dinars in taxi, the meal only came to 60 pound for 7 people eating steaks with lagers It was lovely to have decent lager rather than what's at hotel. Also recommend a trip to the zoo.

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow near pool.
6 Thank lm1974