“Family Holiday”

Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I would like to first say that the resort is fantastic, the aqua park is on site and only for guests and having the addition of a private beach following the Aqua park gives you plenty to do. The entertainment people provide lots of energy and have regular activities for guests to partake, such as archery, bowls, table tennis, water polo etc .
That be said, this hotel firstly let itself down with the rooms, which are so basic I can only rate the rooms as 1 star! . That on its own is manageable, however what really let the hotel down was front of house ( reception ) at times they are approachable and receptive. Alternatively, they will blatantly ignore you, do their best to pass the buck. My family and I stayed in room 119 - on the first day we were surprised how hot the room was, the temperature outside was 32 degrees and in the evening it was hotter in the room then outside. However the fact we were getting bitten each night, meant that we didn't feel comfortable having the door open. Three times I asked for this to be resolved, and on the third night after two technicians verified that it was broken, I was finally offered another room to stay in (after much arguing unfortunately). What really concerned me though was that the room provided was intended for another guest and we were told to move out very quickly so the room can be cleaned for the next guests.
At reception Kalsi Ayman provided a jekhl & hyde service. There were numerous times when it was blatantly obvious that him and Sam I were not being completely honest.
The food is Ok....
The site has 4 restaurants, they have very little or no vegetarian options. In my Opinion the Lebanon is the worst but others are not much better.
They charge 3.5 dinars each day for the safe, which you pay upfront for your time there. Which I paid in good faith. Later another guests, negotiated it to two dinars, so be prepared to haggle.
We paid for wifi for 1 hour each evening but never got the full hour, often 7 to 8 minutes less, Kalsi Ayman thought this was acceptable..
We paid £80 for a turning massage for my wife and I it was a package and in our opinion not value for money at all!! Felt more of a body rub then actual massage.
Now the water slides are amazing, the lifeguards are very attentive and you do not have to wait long.
When you get a good room the air con is very good but the hotel could do better if they provide a small fridge..
This place is worth going to with the kids and if they fix some of the issues it will be even better and may actually be 4 * my opinion at this moment is a generous 3*

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank keepingitreal1973
Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just back from a fortnight at this property and I feel that there a few small thinks that really let the hotel down. Reception staff were generally rude, I found they were more helpful when my husband was accompanying me. We had a bungalow room which was very spacious for the 3 of us however the air conditioning was faulty which we reported on numerous occasions but was not fixed, we ended up fixing ourselves by putting the bottom control to heat instead of chill, very odd. There was days that we were only getting 2 bath towels which is not ideal for 3 people but once we mentioned it to the maid a couple of times then we started to get the correct towels. The rooms are dated and could do with an overhaul but ours (124) was a lovely location with a large grassy area from the terrace.

The restaurant was crazy busy and the quality of food was poor. The tables were not reset quickly enough, they often ran out of plates, spoons, bowls etc, queues for the food could be large. We generally ate breakfast in the English restaurant as this was not so busy and smaller. There are a few fab waiters but not many.

The communal pool toilets were filthy so would recommend using your room or the reception ones. We did report this as well.

The animation team were all very enthusiastic and good with the kids in our party, however they should really do a 2 week programme of shows as we didn't bother going on the 2nd week as it was the same stuff.

The grounds are fab, the slides and kids pool are excellent and the beach is lovely. The water sports on the beach are really cheap and good fun.

Overall an okay holiday but won't be returning to Tunisia and certainly not to this hotel. The big attraction is the splash world which is good but all the other small things add up and let it down.

5  Thank Eve P
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice hotel the only thing is the food was repetitive everyday and night would not say a four star I'd say 3 staff amazing really nice the watermark no one could fault its fantastic not just for kids life guards amazing don't just stand around watching they interact with the kids and parents we thoroughly enjoyed every minute shame about the food the English restaurant was not English in any way would really recommend if it wasn't for the food

Room Tip: Rooms nice beds not very good but ok
1  Thank Alison M
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Disgusting room, smelt of stagnant water - no action taken, no alternative room offered. Bathroom sink plug permanently in - 5 days to fix. Bath/shower tap came off every time you used it - never fixed.
All reported to the First Choice reps John & Katie who were useless in terms of getting anything done or communicating. No pro-active contact or updates from them.
Good was poor quality, sometimes cold & the same day after day. The First Choice website misleadingly advertises 4 restaurants (incorrect cuisines but there are 4) - you only find out in resort you can reserve one restaurant for lunch or dinner for the entirety of your stay.
Switch the exception of 2 staff, they were slow, often incompetent & sometimes rude.
The water slides & pool for my young cousin were the only saving grace.
The worst holiday I have ever experienced & I won't return to Tunisia or use First Choice again.

• Stayed: July 2014
11  Thank Mandy S
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just returned from a 2 week all inclusive holiday. There was myself my husband and 2 kids my 8 year old son and 1 year old daughter. We were also there with another family with 2 children. I really don't know how people can say the staff are rude. The rooms are basic but the maid kept it clean. The waiters and bar staff are really friendly and work really hard for their money. Yes the food is nothing great but it's not that bad, it did get a bit boring tho after 2 weeks. Water slides are amazing kept kids occupied which was great. We did the pirate ship tour which was great and the camel ride. The water sports were really good too. The animation team are excellent with the kids also. I would go back but maybe just for a week.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Dempo1
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have just returned from 2 weeks at Thalassa Sousse with family and friends. We had 5 adults and 7 kids ranging between 2 and 16. We have had an absolutely brilliant time at this hotel.
I can not for 1 minuet understand why people would want to complain. Yes there are some bad points that need to be addressed but over all it was a brilliant family holiday enjoyed by all ages.

Rooms: I emailed the hotel before my arrival to request bungalow rooms near to our friends and near the main pool. The hotel answered this request brilliantly. I had replies to all my emails to acknowledge they had received them. When we arrived we found our group all had rooms next door to each other. We booked 2 twin rooms and we were given rooms 301 and 302, both bungalow rooms looking out to the main pool. These rooms were perfectly adequate for 2 people sharing. The other 3 rooms were family rooms again we were given rooms next door, rooms 309,310 and 311. These rooms are great. Huge room and loads of storage space. Just nip over the grass and we were at the main pool. I agree that the bathrooms do need a little spruce up but they are clean and fulfil all it needs to for a bathroom, The shower worked, the toilets flushed and the taps provided hot and cold water, what more do you need from a bathroom? All in all I was very happy with the room.

Food: This is the main thing the hotel needs to look into. Food was very much hit and miss. There simply isn't enough choice of hot food for the wide range of guests they have staying t the hotel. Saying that none of us went hungry. There is always a great selection of salad stuff, fresh bread, pizza, chips, pasta so still plenty to eat but becomes very boring after a few days of the same food. We went to the Italian and lunch and this was very nice. BBQ fish and chicken, salads, bread, pasta and pizza. At night this becomes the fish bar (we didn't know this). We didn't enjoy the meal there but then that's probably because none of us were that keen on fish and it's a set menu so no choice. The Lebanese is lovely, between us we tried most the dishes and all were really nice and tasty. We booked in here about 5 times during our 2 week stay. The English isn't great. It just seemed to have what the buffet had but with less choice. The manager of the hotel was going round asking guests opinions of the hotel and how it can be improved and he informed us he is currently trying to arrange a proper English and Italian chef for the restaurants so they are trying to make improvements and they are listening to what guests are saying. We noticed a slight improvement during our few final days in the food.

Drinks: I mainly drank Vodka and coke or just water and both were fine. My husband found the beer hard to drink but our friends found it ok. All agreed the wine here is not nice at all. Kids enjoyed all there drinks, cocktails, pink lemonade, milkshakes but to me they were all just to sweet for me same goes for the alcoholic cocktails.

Staff: These people absolutely made our holiday. We were there during Ramadan so expected the staff not to be on top form but boy was I wrong. The waiters were the happiest people I have met on holiday. They seriously couldn't do enough for you bringing us drinks before we had even ordered them. They know exactly what each of us were drinking and just bought them over with massive smiles on their faces all the time. We did tip them because we just felt they deserved it. They don't actually have to bring you drinks all day long but they do. To us we felt they were really going out of their way for us so we did tip them in both the 1st and 2nd week. The cleaner was a lovely lady always smiling and we came back to our rooms most days to find some kind of towel art and flowers on the bed. Buffet restaurant staff were sometimes a tad grumpy but it is quite stressful in there and the way some people spoke to them I was not surprised they were abit grumpy. There really is some rude ungrateful people in the world, guests need to remember just how hard these people are working for them.

Animation team: AMAZING! These people work so hard and they have an amazing way with the kids. They literally kept all the kids in our group entertained for the whole 2 weeks. So much going on day and night. Day time they did water polo, volleyball, darts, French boules, water races and games, ping pong, football and of course the club dances...I challenge any child to be bored at this resort. At night they have the club dances for adults and kids, then the mini disco and a show which often involved audience participation, very funny some nights. Each and everyone of the animation team would make an effort to talk to you and get you involved. This holiday would not have been the same with out them. A big shout out especially to Sam, Gogo and Campa.

Hotel: The layout of this hotel is fab. We loved the different seating areas and the different feel in each area. I personally don't like ampitheatre's so didn't like this 1 either, this didn't stop me going to the entertainment there though. The sofa area by reception is lovely and the pool bar seating area really nice day and night. They have other areas to go to such as the American bar with sport and MTV, the lobby bar up near reception and the night club for those later evenings.

Waterpark: Waterpark is great. Lots a large slides for the older kids to enjoy, we often find some just don't have enough of the bigger slides but this 1 does. We didn't spend a lot of time here as kids always wanted to join in the activities in the main hotel pool but it is a really good water park.

Beach is beautiful, soft sand, clear waters and a bar to get your drinks, What more can you ask from a beach.

Trips: We booked the quads from the man in the hotel. £10 per quad which we thought was reasonable. Good fun 2 hours with a stop off for a drink(these need to be paid for). We also booked the pirate ship trip with another man within the hotel £95 for 12 of us. Again another great fun trip, Dancing, games, jumping off the boat into the sea and some nice food provided. I would absolutely recommend this trip and make sure it's the Selma II ship, I have heard others are as much fun. My husband did a deep sea fishing trip, waste of money that 1 was.

All in all this was a great holiday at a great hotel. Yes there are some negatives but the positives far out weigh the negatives. I can only imagine the people complaining about rude staff must be rude people themselves hence why staff were rude to them as we never withnessed any staff being rude. Food is hit and miss but no one will go hungry.
It really is a fun filled family hotel. I would not hesitate to go back and I would feel very happy to recommend it to my friends.
Make sure you agree price for taxi before getting in if you decide to go out anywhere. The Marina is worth a visit 5 dinar by taxi.
I gave this hotel 4/5 due to the food once this is improved I would definitely give it 5/5 for overall holiday experience.
Anyone going soon I hope you enjoy it as much as we did and I hope this review has helped :)

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow rooms. We had family rooms 309,310 and 311 and twin rooms 301 and 302 all right nea...
15  Thank meadurze
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just returned from a week at Thalassa Sousse holidays with family and friends. I was a little apprehensive after reading some reviews but ignored the reviews. I shouldn't have. Food: being vegetarians we found it bad, not much options for us, The hotel did not show any interest to provide us veg. food either Bad quality fruits.

Staff on duty for night food would start discussing before delivering any pizzas, with all inclusive...!!!?? The worst vacation for us for a long time. We booked Detur in Norway. They were not willing to/able to do anything. The staff is rude and awful service throughout our stay. Waiters in restaurant had not heard of service. These guys did not do dishes and hygiene in rooms was really bad. Smelly and dirty towels. No more Tunisia for us. Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

11  Thank gkamboj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
Hotel Vendome El Ksar Resort & Thalasso
Sousse Palace
Sousse Palace
#7 of 36 in Sousse

Been to Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark? Share your experiences!