“A good place to relax from sightseeing”

Rupar Mandalar Resort
Ranked #4 of 114 Hotels in Mandalay
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

We spent one night in Rupar Mandalar Hotel on Feb 12, and after a night in the Hotel Mandalay before, this place looked like we almost arrived in heaven. The hotel is located quite a bit outside of town, which I consider is an advantage since usually you are dropped off and picked up anyway by your tour agency, no matter in which hotel you stay, and downtown Mandalay is actually quite dusty and loud, and there is nothing to do at night.
The hotel has only 20 rooms now, and another 24 are under construction. All rooms are totally designed in wood and very appealing. The 3-rooms suites are especially beautiful with a lot of space in the stylish living room and with 2 bedrooms with separate entrances and private bathrooms. However, in all types of rooms, the bathrooms are small and will for sure not win a prize for their design.
There is a large swimming pool and a second smaller kids pool and a sunken bar in the middle. It is nice sitting in the garden under the large trees having breakfast. There is a large variety of breakfast items available, British, Continental and Chinese choices, more than in other hotels in Myanmar. Also the food selection for dinner is quite satisfying. We chose soups and pasta dishes, which were a bit below our expectations, but the Thai dishes at our neighbour tables looked better. Myanmar dishes unfortunately must be pre-ordered 1 day in advance, which was a bit disappointing for us being in Myanmar and only staying one night in this hotel. The bar is open until midnight. The night entertainment with Myanmar-style singing, dancing and puppet show during dinner hours is performed very well and provides a good ambiance over your dinner in the garden. Some local rich people also come here only for the dinner, which is a sign for me that this is definitely one of the better dinner locations in town. Another plus was the 15 minutes free Thai-style foot and legs massage in the beautiful small spa of the hotel. I believe we had never been offered a free massage in any hotel in the world before - most appreciated! Overall this hotel is a very nice and clean place with pretty good service. It is also a good option to stay for one extra day after extended sightseeing or handicraft shopping, and families with kids would also feel well there for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 9 February 2013

This was a lovely hotel. I stayed in a suite of 3 large rooms with a living room and small kitchenette. A large enough space for all our needs.
The food was wonderful, and served like a fine dining experience.
Breakfast was extremely delicious! Probably, the best on tour!
There was a lovely pool, but no real time to use it, altho, I really was looking for a down day. This would have been the place!
Watch out for small places to trip on....easily done here as there are lots of tripping points!

Room Tip: All seemed excellent
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Yes, it is quite a long way out of the centre - but I am not sure I want to stay in the centre of Mandalay which isn't the most charming of cities. The hotel is indeed an oasis, and we enjoyed out night there between Maymyo and Bagan. Wonderful woodwork, wonderful staff (as we found everywhere in Burma), good food and a fantastic pwe which was the nightlight. Go there for that reason alone (and there are others)!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GeorgiaCT
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed here only one night after a long day of touring. I can't speak for the location since I was dropped off and picked up the next day, but the facilities were very nice. The landscaping was nice, staff were nice and the pool was large and lounge chairs were comfortable. We didn't go in the water since it was very cold. Construction was ongoing as they were building new rooms. It was not offensive but definitely present. The sign said it stops at 4:30 but it went on well after that. They were also working right outside our room, so we had to close all the curtains first thing.

A free 15-minute massage was provided. It was a Thai style leg and foot massage and was just what was needed after a day of touring. The spa looked nice.

We had dinner at the hotel and it was delicious. Prices were reasonable. We sat outside in a garden area so we could watch the show (puppets and dancing). Service was good. We had an early breakfast the next day. There was alot of food to choose from at the buffet.

The rooms were as described in earlier review - common living areas with guest bedrooms off the main. Room was all wood and had a separate dressing area with dressing table. The bathroom was off this room. There was one luggage rack and no light near it so you couldn't see into the suitcase. Lighting in general in the room was dim. None of the fixtures gave off much light. Forget reading. The bathroom was old and dated. The tub was unsafe. It was a long narrow deep tub. I don't think I could stand cross-wise or with my feet flat side by side. If you used their shower gel you were seriously in danger of falling. It is the only time I wished a tub had those decals on the bottom. There was no hand rail or anything to grab. I lost my balance and almost fell twice. I did not feel safe at all and have serious concerns for anyone trying to shower in the tub.

The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were the worst pillows I have ever had anywhere in the world. They were about 10 inches high and also like a rock. My boyfriend used the small accent pillow from the daybed (small rock). I tried a bath towel at one point, but that was just low and hard. I don't think I slept at all.

The hotel needs to address room lighting, shower safety and the pillows to bring these items up to the level of the resort facilites, restaurant and service.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I truly wish I could give this splendid resort an excellent rating, what lets it down is definitely the bathrooms. How ridiculous to come into your own pavillion with 5 or 6 rooms, which are well decorated and the wood just lovely. You enter your own room and your pleasantly surprised. The room is large and bright with wonderful wood throughout. The dressing area separate from the bed area is a nice addition and of a generous is size. Then, comes the bathroom...oh my - something truly out of the 70s decor. The tile, the drearyness and then the astro turf in the shower area...oh my my my. They have spent so much money on the entire hotel complex but somehow ran out with the bathrooms.

Okay enough of the bathrooms, what makes this place enjoyable and should be considered as a a place to stay: The entire hotel is in a lovely, peaceful setting. It is a bit away from Mandalay proper, but this is what makes this resort advantages: The swimming pool was large and refreshing. The breakfasts were nice and they were oh so willing to help and bring you whatever you needed. The dinners were excellent, which I would HIGHLY recommend the Burmese dinner special (was truly delicious, be sure to ask that it be non-western, meaning that it will have flavor). The beds and pillows were comfortable and we had great sleeps. The massages at their spa were worthwhile and well done.

So, if I were returning to Mandalay, even with the bathrooms, I would still stay at this resort no question.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JC505
Reviewed 15 January 2013

While this is not in downtown Mandalay, it is an oasis in a noisy and very busy city. It provides easy access to the country side and Ayyerwady river. The rooms are comfortable and the pool is very nice. They have a very pleasant spa also.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stoneridgejeff
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This is a lovely hotel on the edge onMandalay. It is a little out of the way but the centre and restaurants were easily accessible by cab. The hotel was lovely and the only criticism was the pillows that were rock hard - and to be fair we didn't check if they had any others.

Otherwise, the staff were amazing and the facilities lovely.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple