“Nice hotel but terrible Limousine”

Rupar Mandalar Resort
Ranked #6 of 119 Hotels in Mandalay
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed two nights at the Rupar Mandalar at Christmas 2013. The hotel is really nice, the room is big, comfortable and nicely decorated. The swimming pool is wonderful.
Our big problem was the "limousine" they have send us to pick us up at the airport! The transfer was 60 $ because it was the limousine of the hotel! In fact it was a terrible minivan, completely worn out and there were no more suspension! As the road is not good, the car had to go very slowly! It took us one hour and a half to reach the hotel, and my back was very painful when we arrived! You can not call this car a "limousine"! To go back to the airport, we took a taxi, it costed 30$ and it took 3/4 of an hour to get there!
The room didn't have good curtains and the outside lamp made a lot of light inside the room, that disturbed our sleep. On top of this, the people of the restaurant were passing just in front of our window, making noise until 11 pm and beginning at 5.30 am for the breakfast: short night.
The food at the restaurant was more then average.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is located quite a ways outside of town and there is only one restaurant within walking distance. The rooms are beautiful but very dark. We arrived on the first night to them fumigating the area due to mosquitoes - you could not be outside in the chemical fog and unfortunately some of it seeps into the room. We also had to buy the compulsory Christmas Eve dinner which was not great - overall the food was just ok vs the other hotels in Myanmar. Service was very attentive.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool area as there is construction there at the moment. Try and get a room that...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Very nice hotel and the room was big but very dark, some more lamps? A beautiful garden and a very good breakfast and Thank you also for the good Happy ours drinks.All staff did their very best to let us feel welcome and we realy did so If we return one day we will stay with you. Thank you, and we sure recommend staying here.
A small hotell with a warm and cosy atmosphere.

Room Tip: Maybe in the new wing as they are building, but think they are all nice
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I really wish I had loved my experience at Rupar Mandalar, but, unfortunately, I was not impressed. The hotel itself is beautiful, and the gardens are extremelly relaxing. The staff was extremelly kind, actually, the kindest we met in Myanmar, and the breakfast was delicious, really good. But, I did not feel confortable in the rooms at any point, and I prefered to stay at the small veranda, being beaten by mosquitoes, than being inside. The rooms were big and new, but they are so cramped with furniture and decor items that I felt sufocated. Also, they were extremelly dark, and because of the insects, windowns were never opened, leaving a bad smell at the room. The washrooms were also too small and a little bit old fashioned. They are building a new wing, maybe with more modern and brighter rooms. I guess I would stay there again in this new construction. Otherwise, even having enjoyed a lot the service, I would not come back.

2  Thank Helena J
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived in the hotel and we're told that we were upgraded in junior suite. This is not correct: this is a family room with 3 rooms altogether. No privacy. Very noisy hotel near the main road. Very unprofessional staff. Very bad experience for a very high cost...

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank travelaurent
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was the 3rd leg of our trip to Mynamar, and we were here for 3 nights. We were upgradedto a junior suite, as the hotel seemed quite empty, but there is abuilding programme going on on the other side of the hotel complex as they are adding more rooms as the result of a govenment directive This didn't impact us in anyway. The rooms were great, very large, made from teak & very comfortable. The pool was lovely, just a shame we only got the opportunity to use it once as the days were full on. We ate in the hotel on one night, the meal was very good, and the staff very very attentive. They are training alot of staff in Myanmar, and its quite sweet how hard they are trying, I hope they never lose this. The bar was nice, and the price of drinks reasonable (as most places are). It seemed as though the hotel was empty, but only has 24 rooms, but in the morning there were many more guests around. This hotel is quite a bit away from most other things in Mandalay, e.g the U Bein bridge, so most places seemed to take a while to get to, but the traffic is bad in the cities as well. Its closer to the airport though. I'd recommend staying here

Room Tip: Junior suite was very nice, its away from the main hotel & while ther is work going on its far a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2013

When I booked this hotel in London, I had my reservations as it looked somewhat gloomy. I decided to upgrade to a Junior Suite as I thought we would then have a sitting area. To my amazement, we ended up with two enormous double bedrooms, two bathrooms and a sitting room!

Every possible surface was clad or made of wood which isn't really my taste as it makes the room dark. The suite was spotlessly clean but the bed very hard so I had to request a topper over the mattress for the second night. I cannot sleep with feathers and the pillows were very hard.

Happy hour was just that - from 5.30 - 6.30 pm. We were given a couple of rather tacky vouchers for a choice of three cocktails and a dish of peanuts. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but I found the breakfast rather dull and uninspiring. Having said that, it was ok. The dinner menu was varied but expensive.

The swimming pool was well-maintained and spotless but it was impossible to sit around it as the hotel is building an extension and all you could hear was the construction noise.

Every evening the hotel puts on a puppet show for guests from 7-9pm. We needed to get to bed early and all we could hear was the plink-plonk of the music. Very annoying and unnecessary every single night.

One of the bathrooms had a bad design fault in that the bath was next to a window so that when I showered, the water splashed all over the window sill and the curtains.

I found the staff extremely pleasant, friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and they were very eager to please. The location of this property is not ideal as there is only one restaurant within walking distance of the hotel. There is nowhere to go walking as the hotel lies down a long side street in a residential area.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are huge!
1  Thank lferstendik