“Great service and staff, could not be more happy.”
Review of Smart Hotel

Smart Hotel
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Mandalay
Phuket, Thailand
“Great service and staff, could not be more happy.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Thank you Terrance for organizing and taking care of everything during our 1 week stay in Myanmar!
My wife and I arrived in Mandalay with only one week in Myanmar and nothing scheduled yet for how best to get around the country. We had obvious concerns on how we would get around this vastly untouched country and online research provided few solid solutions. The moment we entered Smart Hotel we were greeted by Terrance who immediately sat down with us to discuss our interests and what we wanted to see. His fluent English and knowledge of the country alleviated all our concerns right away. Terrance organized our entire week in Myanmar as we travelled by car to Bagan, and then onto Inle Lake, both of which were incredible experiences and quite possibly the highlight of our 3 months in SE Asia. Even more, Terrance kept in frequent contact with our driver and other stops along the way to ensure we were happy and being well looked after. This is above and beyond what any travel agency has done, and far more than anyone can expect from a hotel manager!
I should also mention that it was the girls at the front desk who made all our reservations with such care and concern and it was so nice to not have to organize a thing for the entire week.
The hotel itself is good, but it is the friendly and smiling staff that made this stop completely worth it. I would direct any of my friends to start their trip at the Smart Hotel just for this service alone.
The breakfast in the morning was exceptional and we could easily skip lunch after filling up on this buffet!
Thank you all at the Smart Hotel for making our week in Myanmar so memorable!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Craig N
Smart H, Manager at Smart Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear valued Guest
We, the Staff of Smart hotel and myself are thrilled and very happy to see your kind review comments at TripAdvisor.
Thank you very much for choosing Smart and we appreciate your comment.
It was and it is and it will be our pleasure to extend Smart's warm hospitality to our dear valued Guests. .... Always ! ... This is our Motto and our job and we are here to serve you......
.... A votre service,,,.! I will work harder and will give information and advice to all our valued
Guests,... if necessary in 7 languages.
Terrence.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Terence is a great hotel manager and his experience shows.
Everything you would expect from a hotel of this price range - come here for a comfortable, relaxing base during your time in Mandalay.

I was really glad we took time to wander around the surrounding neighborhoods, great to see normal, suburban and poorer Myanmar life plodding along in its beautiful, exciting way, just around the corner from this friendly but swanky hotel... enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ellaglasses
Smart H, Manager at Smart Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear valued Guest
Many thanks for your compliments and for kind review comment for Smart, our Staff and myself.
Well., we have being extending our Myanmar's Smart hospitality and service sincerely,politely with
most friendly manners...... Yes, you may have noticed about Mandalay, that it was selected as one of the most Friendliest Cities in the world, being number 8th ranking , so will work harder.
We all here, are very pleased to know that you ve enjoyed your brief sejour at Smart. Thank you very much for choosing Smart and Au Revoir..... until we meet again to Welcome you warmly and
to serve you at Smart.
Terrence
King George, Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights in April. The room was spacious, clean, with good internet (for Myanmar). The rooftop bar/restaurant area has one of the best views in town and is a great place to relax after a long day of exploring. Terence was wonderful, he met us at the door when we arrived with coffee and helped us plan our time in his city. We booked a tour though the hotel and were pleased with what we got. Most things are within walking distance (including ATMs!) and the Air Asia free shuttle is within a few blocks of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pacavacova
Smart H, Manager at Smart Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear valued Guest
Thank you very much for choosing Smart and we appreciate your comment.
Actually, the Staff members and myself were just doing our duty, given our top Service to you and Mrs Craig..... sincerely... and frankly.
.... A votre service,,,.! I will work harder and will give information and good advice to all our
valued Guests,... if necessary in 7 languages.At Smart we make sure our Guests are happy and it's value for money.

Terrence.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The service my friend and I received at this hotel was beyond five stars. The Hotel Director, Terence, is strait out of a movie. He speaks 7 languages, has wild stories about his life in the hotel industry, goes out of his way to help you and is adorable. His staff was equally helpful. I had a problem with my airline ticket and they went out of their way to help me, including bell boys taking me around town on their motorbikes for free.

Unfortunately the rooms and food do not meet the level of service. I'd give the rooms and food 2-3 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RACHEL T
Smart H, Manager at Smart Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
To
Ms.Rachel T
Brooklyn , New York

Dear Rachel,
Your review comment gave us a great pleasure and appreciate very much and thank you. This was frank and fair.
Yes, I am happy that our guest is pleased with our first class service and also it is my zeal to fly out of the way to assist our guests,always!!
Speaking 7 languages now, is still not enough for me. So, I am now practicing two more languages.
For the room, as you may have noticed, we are on going with renovations during this summer low seasons. Also necessary action is taking to improve the food as per your kind comment.
By the way , I have told the " Daung Lan Gyi" restaurant staff, that you and Jenny loved their food and service.

Best Regards,
Terrence
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I only stayed at Smart Hotel for one night but wish I had stayed longer.

Terrence and all the staff were very friendly and professional, a level above the majority of hotels in this range in Myanmar.

The location is good, very close to the Royal Palace and easy to get to all the major attractions Mandalay has to offer.

I really felt welcomed and appreciated as a client at Smart Hotel and I would definitely stay there again. Oh and the Sky bar on the roof is a great place to watch the sun set across Mandalay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tknows
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff and manager/owner (Terence) were very friendly, I felt welcome from the moment I arrived and was treated like family, staff greeted by name every time they saw me and really made the effort to ensure I had a great stay.

I organised tours through the hotel which I enjoyed, especially the ancient cities tour. Breakfast was a full buffet breakfast with western and asian foods, rooms were clean and comfortable with air con and all the amenities required.

I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone staying in Mandalay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed in Hotel Smart for two nights on my short (too short!) visit to Mandalay. It's a modern, clean hotel in great central location, with charming and attentive staff. I felt very welcome and taken care of, starting with cold fresh towel and a welcome drink on arrival. Got free upgrade to the the best room in the hotel, on the top floor, with a terrace. Special thanks to Miss No No who was super professional, knowledgeable, and helpful with onward flight tickets and local travel tips, and spoke excellent English - always with a smile and great sense of humour :-) Would happily stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo