“Excellent little place”

Ranked #7 of 110 Hotels in Mandalay
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Excellent little place”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

In the bustle and dust of Mandalay, this little hotel is a gem. All the staff were very friendly, warm and helpful. The rooms were clean with water and coffee provided (for those of you who are black coffee drinkers: it was a pre-mixed 'three-in-one' with creamer and sugar...might be worth waiting for the coffee at breakfast). Breakfast, which is included in the price, is served at the rooftop bar/restaurant and has tons of options (Asian, western breakfasts, omelet bar, lots of fruit, bread to make toast, coffee, tea, etc.) and fresh watermelon juice. The hotel provides a free rum sour to guests each evening and a traditional Burmese music performance at the rooftop bar also every night. Also free wifi! For what the hotel provides, the price is very reasonable. I would not consider any other hotel if I were going back. If you are a very light sleeper, consider bringing earplugs with you to Mandalay - there was always a buzz of activity out the window each morning, but you will get that anywhere you stay in the city. It's nestled along a bustling little side street, near a ton of street food and within close reach of any cab driver you want (best option in Mandalay is just to talk to individual cab drivers -- they'll find you right as soon as you walk out of the hotel, don't worry -- and work out a price for them to drive you to wherever you need to go). The hotel is located close to the Moustache Brothers show venue (another highly recommended activity). Also recommended is Yan, a really friendly guy with nearly perfect English who is studying to become a licensed tour guide - he can give you unofficial guided tours of the city and environs now. Email him at yannaingmoe.Iso@gmail.com to set up a tour.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I'm the type of person who is too lazy to write reviews for anything. Tripadvisor has been immensely helpful in my travels, but I was too lazy / busy to take up reviewing places myself. Well, I created an account specifically to write a positive review of this hotel, because they literally saved my life.

During my stay in Burma, despite the numerous warnings of lack of credit card usage, ATM machines and so forth, I arrived in the country with only $300 in cash for my full 9 day stay. My Citi Bank cash card worked everywhere else in SE Asia including Cambodia and Laos, so granted I was aware that Burma seemed less equipped with infrastructure, I was confident (wrongfully) that the card will work in Myanmar too.

Well, it didn't! I was left begging other travelers who I became acquainted with to lend me money to complete the rest of my trip (had about 4 days left and was heading to Kalaw / Inle). I called the Japanese embassy first (I'm half Japanese) but it was a weekend so couldn't get a hold of him. Who knows how much they could have helped me with too.

Anyways long story short, understandably many people seemed very uncomfortable with the prospects of lending me money, and some turned me down too. Again I don't blame them at all. That's when I stumbled across this hotel out of nowhere, while I was walking around the streets of Mandalay hopelessly. It also finally hit me then that I can maybe try speaking to the hotel manager and beg him to charge my credit card to the hotel (allowing him to of course take a hefty commission which I am NOT complaining about) and I receive some cash. He ponders about this odd stranger's request for some time, but decides to help me out of sheer generosity. This hotel literally saved my life; I have no idea what I would have done if I couldn't get cash - maybe had to call it quits and ended my trip. The guy also offered me free breakfast too - unbelievable.

I didn't actually stay here as it was slightly out of my price range while I was backpacking in SE Asia, but it didn't seem THAT expensive. Most importantly, the people working there were SO nice and their English was pretty good. The manager who saved my life - his english was almost perfect. I can't recommend room quality and other stuff, but I hope this episode not only reveals my stupidity but also the type of hospitality you will receive if you stay here. Location is in central Mandalay too and the breakfast was very good.

2 Thank akb922
London
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Clean enough hotel
Mandalay was not as modern as we thought it was going to be, but this hotel is located right in the middle of some fascinating side streets.
Room and hotel was clean, beds quite hard and the soap was like trying to get foam from cardboard.
Having said that the location is great with all sorts of street restaurants around it
Best one and really clean is if you come out the hotel and go 100 yards to the main road opposite the fire engine. The restaurant / bar is on the right hand side on the corner. The girls who serve here are great fun if you interact with them. We sat there and watched how clean they are with the food and ended up eating there for three nights. Six skewers two beers came to under £10
Don't bother with the puppet show at the hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigmikLondon
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The hotel is located in the center of the city. Although it is quite far away (on foot) from most of tourist attractions, however it is near Diamond department store and the restaurant Singapura which there is review in tripadvisor, included local restaurants around there. The room is nice and clean so that we have perfect sleep after long day trip every nights. The breakfast is fine with the view from the rooftop. I can see Mandalay center from above. The staff are kind and good at english.
Every night there are some traditional performance like traditional music and puppet show. If you have no time to go puppet theatre, this is a fair choice to enjoy cultural show with limited time.

Room Tip: High floor would avoid noise around.
2 Thank MyahLee
Oftringen
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel is centrally located in a very busy area close to the main station.
The rooms are clean, but you clearly can smell the smoky taste from former visitors. That is really disturbing.
The furniture and facilities in the bathroom, therrible.
One good thing is for sure the nice roof terrace of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Mandalay was my point of arrival in Myanmar and Hotel Yadanarbon was the best hotel that I stayed in.
I was travelling on a fairly tight budget and chose the cheaper room at this hotel. I was concerned when I saw that my room was next to the elevator but I need not have worried, I didn't hear a thing.

My only concern with the hotel was the hot water in my room. On my first morning, I thought that I had no hot water so on morning two I decided to put the tap on and wait........... and YES finally after, and I am not joking five minutes, warm then very warm water flowed from my shower head. I did not need to add any cold water but it was a decent enough shower, eventually.

The staff were great, the wifi was good in my room but great for Myanmar standards in the reception area and the rooftop restaurant in the evenings had good food and some entertainment (not to mention a free drink at happy hour).

I would stay again

1 Thank Wandering_Ozzie
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was our first stay in Myanmar. The Yadanarbon Hotel is a new and central located hotel with nice rooms and lovely and welcoming staff. They organized tickets and trips for us, with no extra charge. The value for money is perfect. Another plus is this nice roof top restaurant, where a very good breakfast is served and in the evening puppet shows and traditional music are shown. We very much enjoyed our stay in the Yadanarbon Hotel and recommending it absolutely! Special thanks to Ko Ko Hmu, who organized a perfect tour. Together we visited Saiging, Inwa and Amarapura and several lovely places in Mandalay. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple