“Great hotel”

Karachi Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Karachi
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Was there with the wife for 2 days originally, but liked it a lot and ended up extending the stay.

Pros:
- delicious and hygienic breakfast
- good room service
- the room had a fabulous view of the city
- felt safe with all the security measures

Cons
- the chinesse restaurant was good, however the buffet was not great. I would not recommend it.
- room service was great and timely delivered. However, it was 60% higher then from outside restaurants.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jan V, General Manager at Karachi Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Mr Akhani3,
Foremost thank you for having stayed at Marriot Karachi and of course thank you so much for blogging your first hand experience. Indeed our breakfast has been praised by many and we will keep it that way. My preferred dishes are the Belgian waffles baked freshly on the spot and of course the fresh juicy mangoes nowadays, I will definitely have a look a our Chinese Buffet as maybe our chef was concentrating on our Dumpukht restaurant too much as we received only last week the best Pakistani Restaurant award at the Dumpukht. Have a great summer ahead and please do come back very soon with your wife. It was a pleasure having you here. Kindest regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Marriott Karachi is a very good hotel in terms Pakistani standards. The hygiene and comfort standars are too low in the country so Marriott Karachi stands out although the rooms are old and technical infrastructure is not very good. The staff is very friendly and trying to help as much as they can. The most important thing is that hotel has a very high standard of security -many controls for cars and people, armed guards, and so on- and this is crucial in Pakistan. The neighbourhood has an awful smell which is hard to bear; however, the vantilation system of the hotel is so good that you do not feel the smell inside.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Jan V, General Manager at Karachi Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Imge K
Thank you for your first hand experience comments on this portal and pleased to read that what matters most is to your fullest satisfaction. Indeed the Marriott Hotel Karachi is totally committed to providing maximum security against all eventualities and circumstances for our valuable guest. The dedicated security team comprising of highly trained combat worthy Security Guards, Supervisors and Security Officers, are employed to ensure the maintenance of a safe and secure environment. Yet we also provide our guests with a warm, comfortable and a memorable stay. Combining both has been our mission for many years now and will always strive for this. Thanking you again and wishing you a less warmer summer as in Karachi

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have visited Karachi Marriott to attend Workshop on 12-13/06/2014, All staff members are friendly and well mannered. Specially when i have visited Suze Chinese, Hostess Miss Nida Riaz warmed welcomed us and their such nice attitude always remembered us with the prestigious name of Marriott.
FROM
PERVAIZ AKHTAR SHEIKH
Senior Regional IT Coordinator
Allied Bank
Quetta

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pervaiz2014

Dear Mr. Pervaiz
Thank you for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor portal on your findings after your visit to our hotel. It is only through constructive customer feedback that we can monitor and continuously improve our services. It was indeed very encouraging to me and everyone here, to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It are comments like yours, that keeps our staff motivated to deliver that kind of service our guests will appreciate and remember so they will come back over and over again. I have shared your comments with the staff of Suzie Wong our Chinese restaurant which they most appreciated. Once again, thank you for the time to pass on your comments as well as for recommending our hotel.
We all hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed in the Karachi Marriott for 4 weeks for my business trip, so i got to see all the Good/Bad side of this hotel. I have a Gold membership, and that's why i chose to stay in Marriott instead of Moevenpick but unfortunately i was disappointed by the standard which doesn't reflect Marriott's Quality at all...

Good Points:
- Good welcoming smiling staff around the Hotel
- Good rooms (Old but being renovated now so it's understandable)
- Breakfast variety is okay although i believe croissants specifically need to be re-visited with better option as they are bit hard and appreciate putting more music variety instead of me having to hear same song for my 28 days of staying.
- Good sized swimming pool but has a lot of issues (discussed below)
- Tried a massage, was excellent.
-Good gym Cardio machines but see below for improvement

Bad Points:
- Room service representative female lady is very rude and she even hangs up the phone before you're done talking! And if you order from them a multiple items, sometimes they come, sometimes they don't, depends on their mood or something. I once had to call 3 times just to ask for some sugar which never came in the end and i had to go get it myself, very interesting.

- Swimming pool is full of birds poop as there are not less than 20-40 birds flying on top of it everyday, drinking from the pool as well as pooping in it. I have addressed this multiple times to pool are guys, but there was no real solution to be implemented in their opinion. Not very pleasant to be swimming and seeing the poop falling inside the water like rockets and you need to keep trying to avoid it. Simply disgusting....as well as the pool is so old, you can see black fungus or don't know what that is growing in between tiles. Pool needs to be renewed as well as solution for the birds issue, end of point!

- I was moved from my room 2 times in less than a week, very annoying and no words to describe the feeling as i asked specifically if i move the 1st time, that they should be sure that i won't be moved again as i am here on work and at times i need to be fully focused and the answer was: of course! Only 3 days later i find another paper under door saying, please contact reception to change your room. Just simply annoying. They did want to compensate me with a free dinner but for me as a Gold member i expected more from them to "Retain me as a customer staying there for 28 days" so this was simply kind of rude from their side in my opinion and i had to keep arguing with them few times before they decided to decrease my room rate due to that inconvenience. Resolving time, too slow in my opinion (2-3 days for them to take action), i was about to just pack my bags and leave to Moevenpick.

- Everytime i had to relocate my room i had to resettle into the room and keep asking them to come fix in them, such as broken lamps, No Hot water in room - they had to readjust thermostat- WINDOW LEAKING AIR which made annoying sounds - Broken AC that even if you set to 30 degrees, it stays on 22 degrees and makes you freeze at night (Room 620) asked them 3 times to come check it and they couldn't do a thing for it so i lost hope and just had to spend last 3 days in it and turning it off.

- There needs to be some sort of BBQ grilled food in your menus next time i hope, and the deserts really need to be revisited in the Chinese and other places, they don't taste good and need massive work to be tasty. Only the Ras Malai/Gulab Jamun were nice in the upstairs restaurant.

- Gym workout machines are so outdated, i saw the ones in Movenpick and all of them there were new of the same brand, in Marriott the Gym is small, has good Cardiomachines but the other workout machines are non branded and so old fashioned, needs to be renewed for sure.

- When they tell you an executive room you'd expect that it's of a higher standard/Space than other rooms, but guess what, exactly the same, they even lied to me and told me that it's better indeed, so one day i decided to go take a look myself while rooms are being cleaned and they are JUST THE SAME! When i told this for them, they said, but you have a free minibar, 2 laundry pieces per day and the access to the lounge. That's simply a joke, the minibar is just 2 lays chips and some nuts and soft drinks, what kind of a minibar is that, certainly not a Marriott.

- As mentioned on one of reviews before by another person, there is this weird smell coming when exiting the building to head to swimming pool, i don't know what that is but if it can be fixed, should be.

- Lastly, i've never been in a 5 star hotel, that has no electrical kettle inside the room with Tea/Coffee/Milk options, simply a joke again for a Marriott's standard.
-------
To sum up:
Unless Massive work is done there to really bring this hotel to Marriott standard, i don't see a point in me returning back to it as a Gold member as i feel my membership is sort of useless and i'd rather stay at somewhere else that's more comfy for me instead of suffering all of above just to collect points...

For the Manager, please feel free to contact me if there is some sort of explanation for all the above, i would be more than happy to hear your feedback as well as something that would make me want to return to the hotel.

Thanks.

Room Tip: All rooms are of same size and quality, so don't bother paying more thinking that they're di...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jan V, General Manager at Karachi Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Mr OsamaHasebou,
Foremost thank you for having stayed at Marriot Karachi and of course thank you so much writing in such great detail you findings on our hotel and pleased to learn that you found our breakfast buffet variety good and appreciated our welcoming and smiling staff around the hotel. It are comments like these, that keeps our staff motivated to deliver that kind of service our guests will appreciate and remember so they will come back over and over again. Notwithstanding we also need constructive customer feedback that we can monitor and continuously improve our services. Every single point raised has been discussed with our rooms & guest services manager to retrain the staff where required and trust these measures will improve the situation We of course apologize for these relocations and discomfort. As you mentioned, the entire rooms inventory will be renovated and by autumn the hotel will be in a spic and span condition, including rooms with a kettle which we did not provided earlier in function of the electrical supply to the rooms which is now taken care of by the renovation. Remains the birds for which we are also looking at some solutions for this, resulting from our location across the Frère Park green zone as such their oasis in the city. A this stage we are all excited for our renovations and all staff are so motivated for this and will spare no efforts to step up as well their efforts in the future as well to make sure Marriott Karachi shines out amongst the pack in Karachi. Once again, thank you for the time to pass on your comments on this portal and wishing you a very nice summer ahead. We also hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Kindest regards

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years and it's always a joy to see Nadeem the door man; seriously he's the best and I reckon one of the tallest guys in Karachi

When I there in October 2013 I noted that the American Embassy had closed which has meant a MASSIVE increase in traffic flowing through Abdullah Haroon Road and dispute my enjoying the view of Frere Hall I just found the traffic too much this time and will request a rear room when I visit next.

Food is good; when i was there they had a huge Father's Day buffet and the Tandoori Fish (Red Snapper) was suburb. They also serve a reasonable Cafe Latte

Dispute having an excellent Sauna I have marked down the Spa because ever since the day I first stayed there this is an awful smell (Like raw sewage) as you exit the door from the hotel (on level 1) and head towards the pool; in fact it makes me gag and half the pool is way too shallow for laps and I can't help but notice Karachi's pigeon population drinking from it

Rooms are OK; nothing flash but comfortable.........

Free WiFi's in the rooms; but midway through my stay I had to change rooms from the 8th to the 6th floor and WiFi reception wasn't as good

Talking about changing rooms; I had to do this two days into my stay as they needed to turn off the water (Renovating) and I wasn't impressed with that at all; though in return I did get a 7.30pm check out on my final day which suited me

On my final day after a day working outside in the heat & humidity I was really looking forward to rest before I checked out; at 5pm there was still banging from the renovations above and at 5.30pm still banging and asked due to the time can they call it day, called again at 6pm and at 6.15pm and at 6.30 I end up having a shouting match and at 6.45 I lost the plot. RENOVATIONS IN A HOTEL AT 6.45PM IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jan V, General Manager at Karachi Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear AFN069,
Thank you for your kind comments and above all thank you for your continous loyalty. We have updated already your profile for a rear view on your next stay and yes traffic in Karachi has also considerably increased, nothwithstanding the Frere Hall view with its park will always remain my preference. We realise also the noise implications between 10 am and 7 pm when we do our refurbishment but we can assure you that you will be more than impressed with the results once you will step into these new rooms, The upgrade is a complete new room we have in spe for you, including seamless individual WiFi accesspoints for every room. Without any doubt will be the most upmarket room in Karachi. Have a wonderfulsummer ahead and we look forward to welcome you back in a New room very soon.
Kindest regards.. NB I passed your nice comments to Nadeem also

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I've been to Marriott KHI several times in last almost 8 years. The standard is sustained.
Staff is friendly & welcoming.
Located among the other good hotels as well as close to Karachi Club. Location and facilities are quite suitable for a business as well as leisure trip.
Has good restaurants. You can opt for any food out of oriental, traditional eastern, western, coffee shop, terrace cafe and bakery, etc.
Rooms are cozy & spacious.
Health facilities & pool are available.

Room Tip: Hotel gives complementary pick & drop for airport, so give prior information.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jan V, General Manager at Karachi Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear QPervez,
Thank you so much for this excellent review and pleased to learn that throughout all these years you have remained loyal to our services and find our staff professional and friendly. It are your comments which keeps our staff motivated and focused to deliver that service our guests remember so they come back over and over again. I am also pleased to announce that we have embarked on our rooms renovation and will soon be able to offer you accommodation in Karachi most updated rooms. Our restaurants will follow thereafter. Have a great summer in Lahore which hopefully will not be too hot and hope to see you soon back in Karachi. Kindest regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

After my experience with the Islamabad Marriott, I thought it would be a good idea to see how they do in the other properties. Had a one week stay at the Karachi Marriott through the same corporate booking last month and tried the same process - paid 50% at check-in. Stayed the entire week and paid the balance on check out. No one came going through my things in the middle of the night and trying to force payment with an "or else" attitude!!

The service was good, room upgraded without asking at check-in, food was decent and the executive lounge good. Overall a nice experience.

The out door cafe however needs some good fans and slightly more comfortable seating.

Conclusion: The Marriott brand is fine, problem lies with the management at Islamabad.

Room Tip: Get a room from the 5th floor upwards at the front, gives a good view of the city with a lovely monu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Jan V, General Manager at Karachi Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear NSB909,
Thank you for your nice comments and pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Karachi Marriott Hotel. Also so sorry that in Islamabad you had a lesser experience but I am sure it was an isolated incident and will pass it on to my colleague who in no time will correct this. Have a lovely summer ahead and trust we will see you soon back here in Karachi