“Unforgettable / Remarkable / Breathtaking”
Review of Mekong Estate

Mekong Estate
Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Garden Loft - 6 night stay
A home away from home!
Vanh, Toi and Nee, and Souk are just some of the staff who made our stay so comfortable .... Life long friendships have been made.

Early morning of Life on the Mekong with families and their long boats and local fisher people actively carrying out their daily duties was humbling.

Breakfasts - simple and made with love from Nee. We love you Nee :)
Staff can order in delicious meals from town if you want to stay in. Also any day trips staff can organise. A local map
In our room that highlights beautiful eating and local places well worth visiting
Our favourite eating was Tamarind and L' elephant ....

Phousi markets only 5 minute walk. Luang Prabang 20 minute.

Beautiful gardens and pool area.
I could go on and on . I am happy to answer any questions

Oh the short walk from Mekong Estate to the main road is a dirt road where there are local shops for cigarette, or drinks. Along the way the gorgeous children laugh and play and love to interact with many hellos and smiles.

We have nothing negative to say and go home now to save again for our return.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Don't usually feel a deep sense of loss on leaving a hotel, but we did here. We had a vast house to ourselves that was kept stocked and immaculately clean by friendly staff, and the most magnificent views over the 25 metre pool to the Mekong. Total seclusion yet a 10 minute (free) bicycle ride from probably the best town I've visited in the Far East. There was some music coming from the village but I'd rather feel part of local life than tucked away in a gated, faceless resort and it all stops at 11.30pm because of curfew. The people here were keen only to ensure we had a great time. Thanks to them, we did.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Five days in paradise, a.k.a. Garden Loft, Mekong Estate. What a beautiful place. Our own little house next to Mekong river. Mekong views from bed, living room, kitchenette. Breakfast every morning on own veranda. All very clean. I never wanted to leave.

Airport transfer included, bicycles for guests (free of charge), free WiFi, minibar, safe, hair dryer.
Nice pool with Mekong views as well. Very good service.

Location is fine, 10 min. slow bike ride or 2€/5 min. tuk-tuk ride away from the center. Sometimes can get a ride with a hotel car as well.

Very much recommended, although this paradise might be best kept a secret? ;)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kanerva
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed in the Bamboo Suite and Garden Loft with friends. The staff was great, food was good, the rooms were excellent. Only draw back was the renovation work going on in the Mekong river. We were informed earlier and got a discount on the rooms. Lesson learned is to get rooms further away from the river if renovation work is going on again. Noise from the trucks and all traveled fast and loud to our rooms.

Room Tip: Bamboo Suite - Nice room layout. Felt like a really nice apartment. Two things I didn't like, 1...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I must have spent 20 hours doing accommodation research for Luang Prabang and I must say it paid off. In my opinion Mekong Estate is by far the best and most atmospheric place to stay in LP! I saw many of the other resorts, tried the spas at Phou Vao, de la Paix, Maison Souvannaphoum, had lunch at Amantaka and did walk-throughs of Three Nagas, Satri House and Luang Say. In my opinion, none of the places wins over Mekong Estate's combination of the wonderful atmosphere (luxurious yet warm - which oddly enough seems to be a hard combination to come by in LP), swimming pool, directly situated by the Mekong, and the lovely decor of the rooms and houses. Some details:

Rooms: my room (terrace room in Sunset house) was beautifully decorated in luxury Lao style. It had plenty of closet space and was extremely clean and well kept. The private terrace where your breakfast is served was so serene and lovely and overlooked the Mekong as well as the pool.

Pool: the pool area is great and this is hard to come by in LP if you don't want to stay in one of the much more stiff places (some listed above) and pay a small fortune. As most people are out and about during the day it was fairly quiet around the pool and very peaceful.

Staff/breakfast: I mostly dealt with the staff when they came and served me my breakfast every morning. They were all very sweet and nice. Breakfast was good and you get a few different options from an á la carte menu. It should of course be noted that there is no restaurant at Mekong Estate and that there is nothing within a few minutes walking, you should be prepared to hop on your bike or take a tuk-tuk. Supposedly you can pre-order evening meals to your room from some outside contractor, but I never tried this option.

Location: yes, it is not situated in town, but if you want a swimming pool, no hotels will be in town (because of UNESCO regulations). I liked riding the free, good quality bikes that Mekong Estate lends you. For me it took 8-10 minutes to ride in to town and it's flat and easy. I thought the traffic was fine. I seriously cannot believe some of the reviewers on here that complain about the fact that the hotel is on a dirt road in a normal Lao neighbourhood. To me, this is a bonus of this hotel as it is a great opportunity to see how some of the locals live and all the neighbours seemed very friendly.

Atmosphere: it is laid-back, yet exclusive. I didn't see any places in the area that were able to combine that. It is very small and feels more like you're dream apartment than a hotel. The garden is lush which adds on to the cosy feeling of the place.

All in all - from what I saw (and I did get around a fair bit to other places) this is BY FAR the best place in Luang Prabang. I can't believe there is not a wait list for the rooms. I plan on going back!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Sofia O
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My family and I had a wonderful time at Mekong Estates with our daughter, 2, and son, 5 months. They staff – Toey and Nan and the rest of staff - where so kind and helpful it made our stay that much more enjoyable. They provided us a child seat for bikes and it was easy 5-minute ride to town. The hotel grounds are beautiful and it is nice be slightly outside of town to get a bit of quite overlooking the Mekong River. Note :the pool although refreshing for a dip after a hot day is not heated and does not have a shallow end for very young children however the grounds are good and the view from our terrace made it perfect for a family stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TravevlFam
Reviewed 16 January 2013

A beautiful quiet hotel, right on the banks of the Mekong. Perfect as a base for exploring Luang Prabang. You are far enough from town to be away from the hustle and bustle of tourists, but close enough for a 5 min tuk tuk ride. Not advertised in Lonely Planet, this was recommended to us by a retired French Commando! We are glad we took his advice!
The architecture of the chalets is modern colonial and the lush surroundings well maintained. It feels that you have the place to yourself.
Tuoy the manager and Khamphanh the owner couldn't do enough for us. Initially there appeared to be no rooms available, but a direct email to Khamphanhand he managed to accommodate us.
Tuoy would come by every day and ensure we had everything we wanted, dispensing advice on cost of tuk tuks, to what to visit and even booking restaurants on our behalf. Great personal service.
This is a great location after a busy day seeing the sites, to relax and watch the sun go down over the Mekong. We now wish we had stayed longer and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If in doubt email direct!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family