“Garden by the River”

Le Bel Air Boutique Resort
Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel situated by the Nam Khan a tributary of the Mekong, is so very peaceful with excellent caring and helpful staff.
The food was delicious and very good value ( breakfast included ). A shuttle service runs every two hours down into the town with pick up if required.There is also free pick up and return to the local airport.
Accommodation is in a pleasant traditional style with air conditioning.Great as it was very hot when we were there mid April.
The garden is absolutely lovely with coconut palms and all kinds of what we know as house plants growing outdoors.
An ideal location.

Room Tip: The individual bungalows are the best location within the grounds.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Bruce M,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing with the TA community your experience at Le Bel Air. It was very nice to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. I agree our garden is one of our best features. We are one of the only hotels in Luang Prabang that has a large space in a quiet setting. We are not on a busy road nor cramped next to other hotels and businesses. As lovely as the town is guests tell me they very much enjoy retreating back to Le Bel Air from the bustle of town to enjoy true relaxation. Thank you again for your very kind review. Where ever you happen to be these days we would like to wish you the very best of health, happiness, and good times on your travels.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am writing this as I sit in the bar / dining area of Le Bel Air looking over the Nam Khan.

I am a big fan of this place. The rooms are great; very comfortable, clean and with good facilities. The breakfast is pretty good considering what I have had elsewhere. The staff also seem nice. It is also a quiet location that allows good sleep.

It's a bit outside of town but a not a bad walk in (maybe 15 minutes) and there are bicycles available to take out (which I did today). The hotel runs some regular shuttles running into town proper. The included airport pick up was also good.

The Manager, Jean Paul, made sure that any information that was needed was available. His description of wanting to do something that gives back to the community here is important (to me anyway).

I think it is good value for money - I have had to extend my stay in LP and had no hesitation to stay in the same place. The only thing that seems odd is when I asked front desk for the price of extending it was different from the price TripAdvisor gave me. Check through the booking.com and agoda.com first.

Would happily recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear tour_contact,

Thank you for staying with us at Le Bel Air and for posting a very kind review. And thank you for the personal mention. It is much appreciated. Regarding our rates, it is important for all low season travelers to compare rates. Le Bel Air has a 'Stay 3 Pay 2' promotion now until September 30th and I believe this is the best package being offered by any hotel in LP. I would advise all guests to do some research and see. I think the best way to book with us is through our website at www.lebelairhotels.com. Thank you again for sharing your experience with the online community. It was great to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. I wish you the very best of health, happiness, and good times on your travels.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you’re looking for a luxury hotel experience at a mid-range price, this is a great spot for the money. The property is beautiful, lush and offers lounge furniture, a restaurant/bar and outdoor exercise facility all situated right on the river. The rooms rival that of 5-star hotels with modern furniture, bathroom and a super comfortable bed & soft linens. The hotel’s staff and manager (hello, Jean Paul) go out of their way to make sure you’re enjoying your stay. Jean Paul personally recommended some off-the-beaten-path excursions for us and helped coordinate logistics. The complimentary breakfast is a full blown buffet ranging from Western to Asian fare. The location may not be on the main street, but is a short bike ride across the bridge – and bikes are complimentary at Le Bel Air. A 30-something “flashpacker” couple, this was a great value splurge for us in the romantic city of Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TravelingTings,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a very kind review. And thanks for the personal mention. (Hello!) It is much appreciated. Regarding our value, I spend a great deal of time comparing rates and what other LP hotels are offering and I am confident that if guests take some extra time to research they too will agree Le Bel Air is offering the best possible package overall. Between our garden setting just out of the center of town, to our attentive and personal service, to our great restaurant and bar, I think it is difficult to find a better offer than ours. And with our stay 3 pay 2 promotion for low season (now until September 30th) guests can save even more on their travels. Thank you again. We wish you the very best of health and happiness on your adventures.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I've never been to Laos before, so I'll admit that I was quite concerned about accommodation. I should not have been worried, the Bel Air hotel exceeded my expectations. The hotel is situated on the Nam Kham river, a tributary of the Mekong. The main road just outside the hotel leads to a bridge for pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles. It is a ten minute walk into the centre of town across this bridge, and if one prefers not to walk, the hotel also provides a regular vehicular shuttle to and from town. Bicycles are available from the hotel lobby to borrow. Incidentally, there are banks, ATM's and money changers in town that offer broadly similar exchange rates.

The hotel itself is set out well, and blends attractively into its riverside location. It is clean and remarkably insect free given its location near the river. There is a charismatic bar and restaurant which serves until about 10 pm. The rooms are quite large, very clean, and contain all the features one would normally expect: air conditioning, overhead fan, mini-bar, fridge, television, room safe, hair dryer, and facilities to make hot drinks. Some of the fixtures and fittings were a little tired, but perfectly functional. The beds were large and comfortable, and the en suite bathrooms were well fitted. The electrical sockets in the room accept both US and European plugs. Wifi speed was very acceptable, although variable at times. For really fast speeds, Lao SIM cards are available from Lao Telecom in town. These are very cheap, and it takes a few minutes to set up.

The hotel manager was exceptionally helpful, and made us feel very welcome. He took the trouble to speak to all the guests individually every day, suggesting trips, and sorting out any minor issues.

Our trip coincided with the Lao New Year festivities. This was very good fun, but water throwing is traditional, so be prepared to get soaked. I would recommend waterproof cases for phones, money and cases, because staying dry is not an option.

I have no hesitation in recommending Le Bel Air Resort, and I would certainly stay here again next time I come.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Stephen S

Dear Stephen S,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting an honest and thoughtful review. It is the type of review most helpful to future guests. You have left me with very little to add and for this I also thank you. : ) It was a real pleasure to make the acquaintance of you and your group and I am happy you found your experience satisfactory. I hope to welcome you back to Le Bel Air someday soon.

Very best regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel is in a lovely setting overlooking the river but a nice easy walk to the restaurants in the evening. We were initially staying for 2 nights before going to the elephant village for 2 nights and then returning for another night before heading to Cambodia.Check in was swift and easy and the staff always ready with a smile and a chat, particularly about English football! Breakfast was varied and plentiful and again service from the staff was second to none. The manager John Paul made a point of introducing himself to his guests and I'm sure if there had been any problems they would have been dealt with quickly and efficiently. We had booked a deluxe room but when we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded. The room was lovely with traditional Laos furnishings. On returning from the elephant village we occupied a different room which I am assuming is what we would originally have had if we had not been upgraded. Again the furnishings were beautiful and everything was spotlessly clean.The only downside was that we were on the ground floor and due to the nature of the furnishings ie. wooden floors the noise from people moving around upstairs and dropping things etc. made for a very disturbed night. I think if we had been in this room from the outset we may have asked to have been upgraded. However, if you are a heavy sleeper then I would say rooms are lovely so go for it! Lovely hotel with lovely staff. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid being on ground floor.
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracy S,

Thank you for staying with us. And thank you for posting such a lovely review despite not being 100% satisfied with your sleep due to noise from neighboring rooms. At some point all hotels experience such issues and each has their own solutions. At Le Bel Air such cases are dealt with swiftly and beyond the expectations of the guest. Immediately guests can see their needs are taken very seriously and we make it a point to stop at nothing until everyone is satisfied and confident in our product and service. I assure all future guests that, whether any issues arise or not, we will always be poised to serve and assist. Thank you again for your review. I wish you all the very best of health and good times on your travels.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We just came back from Luang Prabang and we stayed at Le Bel Air Hotel for 6 nights. The Hotel sent transport to pick us up and drop off when we left free of charge which was nice.
The location is situated by the Khan river on the other side of the old bridge. It is a bit far from the down town area but the hotel has a free shuttle bus service that drops you off at the centre of town, the shuttle bus leaves quite frequently - or you can walk across the bridge and get a tuk tuk for 10,000 - 20,000 (2-3 dollars) depending on the driver. We stayed in the Bungalow Garden- Riverside, it is a good sized room with a very comfy bed, study table, small dressing room with closet, fridge, kettle, AC - which is very useful after come back from a very hot day outside, bathroom is simple with a shower, there is a daily maid service. There is a balcony with table and chairs that you can sit and look at the nice garden and the river below. The whole place is very quiet and peaceful, its good if you truly want to relax, not so good if you looking for partying - then better to stay in town. Breakfast is adequate, would not say its great selection but enough to satisfy. Overall we are very happy with the hotel , it is a very nice basic quiet and peaceful place but what makes it great is the staff and the manager JP who are truly kind and genuinely want to make your stay enjoyable while you are there. The price is very reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sofanah1969

Dear Sofanah,

Thank you for choosing Le Bel Air and for your fabulous review. It was great to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. You are right! Le Bel Air is perfect for guests seeking peace and quiet a comfortable distance from the center of town. Together with our lush tropical garden and great rates we challenge guests to compare us with other hotels. I am confident everyone will agree there is no better value to be found in Luang Prabang. Thank you again for your very kinds words about Le Bel Air, our staff, and myself. They are much appreciated. We wish you good health and great times on your travels.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This resort on the bank of the Mekong consists of beautiful buildings, spotless, comfortable rooms and a stunning view over the gardens and river. Right by Old Bridge, there is easy walking access to the town, or you can make the most of the free bike hire and shuttle bus. The staff were friendly and accommodating, helping to recommend activities and book day trips to some of the out of town sites. The food was excellent, lovely breakfasts and delicious dinners, catering for western tastes and the chance to sample traditional laotion dishes. Great value for money and a really lovely resort. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear gemcarnell,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience at Le Bel Air on TA. It was great to have you with us and a pleasure to serve you. All the very best to you on your travels.