“Excellent service in a lovely, peaceful setting”

Le Bel Air Boutique Resort
Ranked #19 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Wisconsin
“Excellent service in a lovely, peaceful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I recently spent five nights at the Bel Air and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. My daughter and I had one of the bungalows overlooking the garden and found the veranda to be an excellent spot for coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening. I liked the daily walks over one of the bridges into town each day, and enjoyed the leisurely breakfast watching local life on the river. What makes Le Bel Air really special though is the attentiveness and caring of its staff. Not only does John Paul, the General Manager, have a dozen wonderful suggestions for walks or restaurants or bike rides, but during a mini-crisis involving delayed and cancelled flights in and out of Luang Prabang, he did a wonderful job of handling the changes with the airlines and all of the staff was most kind in providing moral support. They are all just lovely people.

Room Tip: Bungalows are quiet. We never heard any noise from other guest rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank africagirl
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear africagirl,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience at Le Bel Air with the world. It was very nice to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. Regarding your flight complication, I find these are the issues which can either make or break someone's holiday. I prefer to deal with them personally and very quickly set the holiday back on track. Guests deserve to be free from worry and have before them a set of pleasurable options to take advantage of. This is what I do everyday. I am very happy to hear you were satisfied with your stay. From everyone at Le Bel Air we wish you the all the very best on your travels. Thank you again.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Bel Air has a very friendly and helpful owner, Jean Paul, who can arrange excursions. Unfortunately the resort is looking a bit tired and could do with a good renovation. The gardens are pleasant and the hotel is set back from the Nam Khan River, a tributary of the Mekong forming the Southern boundary of the old town.

There is a bike and pedestrian bridge next to the hotel connecting it to the main town, but this is not for the faint of heart. Otherwise getting in and out is a bit inconvenient, as there are not so many tuk tuks on the far side of the river, and they charge double the normal fare (still not expensive). Bicycles are available free,

Food was mediocre but breakfast was included and OK. We had intended to stay 3 nights but due to the inconvenience of the location left after two.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hutcho_Hutcho
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Hutcho-Hutcho,

Thank you for staying with us. I am not the owner of the hotel. I seems you would have gathered that after our many conversations and surely after having read my business card. Regarding your comments, I welcome them and appreciate you taking the time to write, however, I find them rather plain and isolated only to your own experience. They are not properly elaborated to assist future guests. Allow me to help.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ladies and gentleman thank you for taking time to read TA comments about Le Bel Air. We are situated outside the center of town on the Nam Khan river bank a 15 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride to town. If the reviewer here did not know about our location prior to booking I would encourage them, and everyone, to properly research before selecting a hotel. The truth is our location is one of the best highlights of the hotel and one of the most praised features. Many past TA reviews attest to this.

Luang Prabang town is a little cramped with many guest houses and hotels. Le Bel Air promises wide open space, peace, quiet, and service beyond expectation. It is the perfect distance from town and the ideal retreat from crowds and noise. I refer to Le Bel Air as a strong 3-star hotel with the best location possible, well appointed rooms, very competitive rates, and friendly atmosphere.

Tuk-tuks are 10,000 kip ($1.20) per person to the Old Bridge or 40,000 kip total ($5) directly to the resort. The Old Bridge is perfectly safe, unique and beautiful. It might be a small adjustment, however, for someone not used to such a structure. Our restaurant and buffet breakfast are also both well praised.

Thank you again for taking the time to visit the Le Bel Air Tripadvisor page. Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@lebelairhotels.com if you have any questions at all or need any information about Le Bel Air or what to do in Luang Prabang. It is my pleasure to assist.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent 3 days at the Bel Air and enjoyed every minute. Wonderful to relax on the terrace after a sweltering day visiting. The bonus is the free shuttle bus into and back from the center of Luangprabang. The rooms are clean and spacious together with the air conditioning. Breakfast on the deck overlooking the Nam Khan River was a joy. Thanks to all staff who were very attentive as was Jean Paul the Manager.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Tom S,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a very nice review for the world to see. It was very nice to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. Yes, it has been very hot recently. Guests this week can expect cool mornings, sunny and hot afternoons, great sunsets, and rain for a few hours while sleeping from about 4AM. Of course this weather pattern will eventually change but for now it is absolutely beautiful. Thank you again for sharing your experience on TA. I wish you all the very best on your travels.

Vientiane, Laos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed in one of the beautiful teak bungalows that sit amidst banana, palm and jack-fruit trees. Ours was tastefully and traditionally designed with beautiful furnishings, high ceilings as well as a/c, fridge, flat-screen TV, and a balcony overlooking the grounds on the riverbank. It certainly feels like a very high-end resort, so it is excellent value. They also offer free airport pick-up and drop-off.
Staff were wonderful and helpful and the breakfast buffet was ample and tasty.
This is a little out of town, but they provide free bicycle and very nice to drive to city center.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear James S,

Thank you for staying with us at Le Bel Air and for sharing your experience with the online community. It was very nice to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. If you happen to be passing through Luang Prabang again please drop me a line. We love to offer discounted rates to returning guests. Thank you again and I hope to have you with us someday soon.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was there for just a day, doing a visa run, but this is the kind of place to bring your family and settle in for a while. The regular room had a queen and a double bed, and the entire wall facing the river was one big window. Free loaner bikes are a great bonus. There is a "gym" but it's outdoors, so be prepared for no A/C if you feel the need to workout.

Room Tip: Didn't look inside the bungalows, but they looked even more special.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Dolkun,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a very nice review. I am pleased to see that even a one night stay with us is enough to inspire a review with an excellent rating. It was very nice to meet you and have you with us. Thank you again. I wish you all the very best in Chiang Mai and hope to have you with us again someday soon.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were greeted at the airport (transfer service) by JP, an expat American now living in Laos. Nice guy and very helpful. He took to us the hotel and showed us the ropes and talking us through the must see attractions in and around town. He also helped us book anything we were keen to do over the course of our stay. We had a little villa room and it was very clean and a great experience. The staff were all super friendly and it was a pleasure walking around at the hotel. Venturing in to town was easy... Just wait for the hourly(ish) shuttle or venture over the old bridge and grab a tuk tuk. The old bridge deserves a special mention. We arrived at night and wanted to head straight in to town and had missed the shuttle. In the dark, with a light drizzle, just walking the bridge was an experience in itself. Over the following days you kinda grow attached to it :) speaking of bridge experiences, you can also walk to town via the bamboo bridge. Definitely worth the stroll as you get to walk through the village above the resort. It cost a tiny amount (maintenance fee), but I believe it is seasonally reconstructed and not always available. If this place had a pool it would be perfect, it can get pretty warm! Our stay at Le Bel Air was fantastic and we will endeavour to get back... ASAP

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Troy-Vida,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a very kind review. And I very much appreciate the personal mention. Allow me to clarify, I am a Canadian from Toronto, and since I have been living in Laos for the past seven years I am able to help guests stay off the beaten track and discover the very best aspects of Luang Prabang. I love your description of the Old Bridge. I too fell in love with it when I first came to LP. I do not think I have ever seen one quite like it yet. It is not as adventurous to me anymore but I do think it is still quite beautiful and a genuine highlight of Le Bel Air's atmosphere and unique location. Thank you again for your review. It was very nice to meet you and a real pleasure to serve you. I hope where ever you happen to be these days the sun is shining and you are having a great time.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely place, friendly people and great customer service, free breakfast is included. Everyone is so welcoming and polite, Jean Paul the general manager is very very helpful. Close to markets and attractions. I would recommend staying in this hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Leemcnally11,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience at Le Bel Air with the world. It was very nice to meet you and a pleasure to serve you. I'm pleased to hear you had a good time with us. And I very much appreciate the personal mention. Thank you for that and for recommending Le Bel Air to others. I promise to take good care of your family and friends. Thank you again and I wish you the very best of times on your travels.