“Not my favorite hotel”
Review of Saynamkhan Hotel

Saynamkhan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 266 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was not overly impressed by this hotel. The staff didn't seem to care whether you were there or not. The hotel had a nice restaurant, yet the morning coffee was not hot and the breakfasts were very boring. The omelets consisted of eggs and nothing else. They provided a kettle in the rooms, but no coffee and only water glasses and no mugs. We brought our own coffee, but before bed every night I has to go to the restaurant for cups and saucers, with the promise of bringing them back each morning. The front desk just simply said mugs were not available. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Saynamkhan Hotel

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked a room with a balcony but it was really just a patio with views of the trees separating the hotel from the road. It was OK but not really worth it. I was in the older part of the hotel and I suspect the newer part is better. The room was OK but walls thin and near a busy intersection so a bit loud. Still, the location was great and it was the best hot water I had in all of SE Asia so all was not lost. It was good for a couple of nights but I think there's better in LP for $45 per night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2014

On the bank of the Nam Khan river and overlooking the bamboo bridge [dry season only]. We had
a superior room right on the corner of two roads and with double glazing the room was not noisy at night. No safety deposit box is a pain!

The free WIFI didn't work one day so we complained. It was back and working better within 24 hours. Our hot water came out cold so we complained and we had a new water heater within 24 hours.

Breakfast is fine but you get the feeling that the staff are on clockwork. If you don't fancy eggs one day then you might not get the juice and fruit because it is always delivered withe the eggs. To be offered a top up of coffee just does not happen.

We booked a trip, not with the hotel. When we had not been picked up half an hour after the appointed time, the owner told the receptionist to phone the travel company and keep phoning until there was a satisfactory response. Very good service indeed.

This is not a new hotel but it has a comfortable vibe and is situated in a good location. If you arrive via the Mekong Cruise you will need to find 5 USD or 40,000 KIP for the tuk tuk [extortion]. The tuk tuk to the very modern and nice airport is 8 USD?

We would stay again

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the river if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

If you can definitely get the river view with balcony at the bottom. We only booked 2 nights but ended up staying 4 and changed to the balcony the last 2 nights. Far better, a lot more natural light as the lead in is pretty dark.
If anything stay here for the location!
The rooms and clean and comfortable. The breakfast ok, although after 4 days I was truly over the only 2 options they had.
Would stay here again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I picked this hotel from reviews on AGODA, WHAT A MISTAKE

I picked this hotel from reviews on Agoda - What a mistake. Booked airport transfers from hotel
but they never showed up.
The room was small & the safe in the room was broken. They said I could use the office safe but
all employees had the access code ( even I knew it) so I wouldn't leave things in it. I was told the safe would be fixed when I left. Not good enough.
The room has external timber shutters on glass windows & doors. Even with these closed I still
used ear plugs as it was very noisy. The bathroom was the smallest one I have ever used in all
my travels, you could hardly move in it. Also the water was luke warm. I can see now why no photos were available of the bathrooms.
Breakfast was pancake (1 ) 9 bite size pieces of fruit & small pieces of toast & coffee. On the
4th morning I was offered 2 eggs instead of the 1 pancake.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent 2 nights in Luang Prabang and this was a great place to stay. The room was spacious and had everything we needed. Great location and friendly staff. Only downside was the rooster nearby which started crowing around 5am.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This place with not too much work, could be a real jewel in the crown. The location is perfect, with magnificent views and handy to all sites. However, the bathrooms are badly in need of restoration.
Everything else is fine. Our welcome was extremely friendly and the staff during our stay were very helpful and interested in what we required. I would let the bathroom situation be a turn off as it is beatable and one must remember that this is very much a third world country and the sewage system not as highly developed.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the new part. These have elevated balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family