“excellent food”

Price range: US$8 - US$45
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in a building from the 60s, near the banks from the Mekong, the Restaurant “L'Elephant” offers an essentially "falang" (French) Menu with a small selection of Lao Dishes since 2000. From the home-made charcuterie to the duck breast roasted with “Mak Toum” or the Burgundy snails, L'Eléphant offers you original French family style cuisine. L'Eléphant restaurant cooks typical Lao dishes for you; dried meats and river weed as an aperitif, soups, grills or fish wrapped in banana leaves… Home-made breads and pastries, wines, spirits, ciders and a selection of beers complete the offer of this old-fashioned restaurant, chic, classy yet simple with its wooden floors and local wooden furniture. Relaxed atmosphere; casual attire! Open daily for lunch and dinner! Home made pastries and drinks all the day long ! You can choose from the à la Carte, our set menus or opt for the daily menu (110 000 kips for 3 dishes)! We are looking forward to welcome you!
Reviewed 18 July 2014

service very good, choice of food for everyone. I am not a Vegan but I had the set menu and it was fantastic. Unusual dishes done to perfection.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,410)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

If you love duck as much as I do, this MUST be on your bucket list.

I have had the BEST duck ever at this Restaurant, please do not miss this opportunity in you are in the area.

The service was excellent as was the food.

Kind regards

Ferdie Liebenberg

Reviewed 6 July 2014

L'Elephant was recommended to me by a fellow traveller who had described its food to be exceptional. I had high hopes for the place (in large part also due to the fact that it received good reviews here on TripAdvisor as well as Lonely Planet), and needless to say, I wasn't disappointed at all.

I had a lunch at the restaurant and the ambience was pretty laid back. The decor was reminiscent of a rural Provencal bistro and evoked images of old French films. Despite it being a (relatively) fancy restaurant, the service was definitely personable and warm. The waiters were attentive (my glass was never empty) without being overly pushy, keeping sure to give us enough room for ourselves. They also gave very good recommendations when I was undecided on what to order, and were very patient in providing translations or explanations when needed.

The food. Where do I even begin? Everything I had was exceptional. The pork loins I ordered as my entree was masterfully executed. The meat was tender, juicy and well-marinated, whereas the gravy was flavourful and complemented the meat perfectly. I appreciated the distinctive Laotian twist to the dish, for there were subtle hints of local herbs being used in the dish. Otherwise, my aperitif, an egg potato salad, was also masterfully done. The dish was simple but it definitely packed a punch! It was just the right blend of sweet and sour, with some pepper providing some zing to the dish. Excellent.

I'd definitely recommend making a trip to this restaurant. While the prices were slightly on the high end (compared to other eateries in Luang Prabang), it was definitely justified by the quality of food I was served. A similar meal could easily cost up to twice or thrice the price outside of Laos. All in all, an excellent place.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

A lovely French lady who owns a beautiful boutique on the main road recommended we eat here as a "gentle introduction" to the Luang Prabang restaurant scene. It was our first night so a great suggestion. Although predominantly French, L'Elephant offers a fairly tame selection of Laos cuisine - which we thoroughly enjoyed. Compared to the other restaurants in town it's a bit fancy - so it was rather surprising to see a dog meandering through the tables of diners - without anyone batting an eyelid! All part of the quirky character of this chilled town. Would recommend a visit if you have a few nights in Luang Prabang - otherwise prioritize a more authentic Laotion dining experience.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The restaurant is a French old colonial experience in Luang Prabang. The food is good and the atmosphere takes you back to 1900. We did an French meal and enjoyed the food, service and overall ambiance. It is a major tourist attraction in town but that should not scare one off as it is a good restaurant.