“Clean, small, friendly”

Ranked #76 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Penguin, Tasmania
“Clean, small, friendly”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed four nights here. The room was small and clean but as it was on the ground floor I needed to keep the shutters closed all the time which meant it was pitch dark and no air coming in.
I think I was mildly scammed on leaving. I asked the man at reception to call me a taxi for the airport - he asked for the 50 kip - the going rate and then a tuk tuk turned up.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Elspeth L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tel-Aviv
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed 5 days in Villa Laodeum in Luang Prabang and enjoyed every minute. This is a fine establishment, fit to the spirit and way of life in the lovely city of Luang Prabamg. The hospitaty of the owner amd his employees is remarkable, and the made their utmost to make our visit in north Laos a memeorable experience. The location of this guesthouse is the best in Luang Prabang. and it is clean and cosy Indeed, its a very recommened guesthouse. Ofer Kaplan, Israel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank michalula
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

people seem to really like this place, but I think it is just average. My brother and I were travelling, the only room they had with two beds was just inside the reception. Light through window, but no view and we could here people outside the door. Thankfully, there wasn't much traffic. No service (food or drink) but they did arrange a wonderful elephant tour with a trip to the waterfalls thereafter. The room was clean, but there was a cockroach in the bathroom wastebasket. We took it out in a bag, and the bag wasn't replaced during our stay. Slept well, found everything we needed close by and felt very comfortable. Not much more than that. I saw some people complained about laundry - they charge 20.000 kip/kg. Walk down the street and you'll find places for 8000 kip/kg.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SBO234
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I just spent the night, and my friend will stay one more night.
The location is excellent as without a few blocks from everything you want see.
There was a festival last night, so music was aloud across the street until around 12am. Then, there was absolute silence. I loved it.
There are only 8 rooms, so if you arrive before non and you can't check in, don't get upset. Anyway, we arrive at around 9am and the host checked us in as soon as the first guest left - around 10:30am.
Rooms and bathroom are very clean. The sheets, although with unremovable stains, still smell fresh and clean.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We have been researching for the best place to stay here innluang prabang and we found this place! Very happy to come across it and definitely will come back staying here if we return!

The location is great. Just a few steps walking distance to the night market and the entrance of the villa faces the Kong river. (It is not river side but with a few steps you would be right next to the river). Small with simple classy decorations make you feel like home. The warm welcome receptionist makes the stay more enjoyable. The guy at the receptionist is very friendly and full of know ledges. He recommends us to go for the best dinner restaurant in the area called "tam nak Laos" which is also a cooking school opposite to Santi hotel.

The rooms are clean and cosy. The best of all! Prices are reasonable. TV and fridge in room ;)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank septemberpearl
Kerry
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel in June 2013 with some friends. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped and the location is very good. However, security in this hotel is very poor and I would not recommend staying here. Keys to all rooms are kept just inside the front door, with easy access for anyone who might be passing by. On the second night of our stay, we went out for dinner. When I returned to my room, I found that someone had entered my bedroom and the bathroom was filthy as a result. When I made a complaint the following morning, we were treated in a terrible manner. I was told that nobody had been in the room and that I was a liar. We were then told that we had to remove our belongings and leave. We were also treathened with the police. All this because I complained that somebody had come in my room! Also, we gave in some laundry to be cleaned. It came back dirty and I was still expected to pay full price for it. When I said that I did not find the service acceptable, I was told that the weight of my laundry was actually double what I had paid for, and therefore I was getting a 'good deal'. The way that we were treated was unllike anything I have experienced elsewhere in Laos. I would not return to the accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Great hotel. The rooms are small but great for vacation because if you're in a place as beautiful as Laos you shouldn't be spending much time in your room. The room is simple. Bed, small desk with a stool, and bathroom/shower combo. If you get up around 6 am and sit downstairs, you can see the monks doing their morning alms. It's nicer here because it's quiet and you can really appreciate it. If you go to the main street there are tourist everywhere who get right in the monks faces to take their pictures. You can see the flashes all the way down the street. The hotels location is great. It's at the entrance to the night market but not blocked by it. Breakfast is simple but filling. I had an egg sandwich with fruit some mornings and french toast other days. Staff is friendly. They took care of our laundry for about $2/kg and helped us rent a scooter for the day.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple