“Excellent value for Money and Hospitality”

and 1 more site!
Manichan Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 269 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2013

As senior citizens with mid-range budget, my wife & I recently visited Luang Prabang, Laos and stayed at Guesthouse Manichan. The accommodation was just what we were looking for. Very conveniently situated near to the Mekong river and the Main Street, visiting any part of the city was pretty easy. Friendly and courteous staff of the Guest House, clean and comfortable rooms with pleasant environs made our stay deeply satisfying. The owner , Peter and his wife, Manichan were like our extended family members - they were such gracious hosts ! We would strongly recommend travellers like us to stay at Manichan and enjoy sights of Tourist interest in and around the city

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had a fantastic time in Luang Prabang and this guesthouse was very much a part of this great experience.

We stayed for 3 nights. Made a reservation through email and got response from Peter quite quickly. The location is great. Right in the center of the old town, you can do pretty much anything on foot. We had a bit of trouble finding it though, since it's tucked away in a quiet little street, but if you prepare a little you shouldn't have that much trouble.

The service is very good as well. Peter and Manichan are very friendly and helpful as well as the ladies who work in the kitchen and keep the place clean. On checkin you will receive a map and some tips on things to in and around the town.

The rooms have everything you need (a nice bed and an AC/fan) and are clean. We had a room with a communal bathroom, which is good and clean, though the water pressure is a bit low.

The breakfast is also very good, with a lot of options. The breakfast area is basically a big table where everyone sits, which is great because you will meet your fellow guests and share stories and tips. Also a great place to meet people to share taxi's and boats with to the attractions that are a little far from town.

Also the free tea, coffee and water is a nice little perk.

Enjoyed our stay here massively and would definately stay here again should we return to Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

For a guesthouse, manichan's is one of the friendliest places I have stayed. It really is like visiting family. I love the family breakfast table under the thatched awning and the great conversations and helpful hints. Manichan herself was always there to help and make suggestions about things to do, even walking us down to the river for lunch and ensuring the staff knew what we wanted. The food is fresh and tasty. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. The bathroom is basic, but the water is hot and sufficient towels are provided. We had an absolutely delightful stay and would return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

It was last week but I am still thinking about this place - totally not the type I would choose for backpacking but the deal is just too good and you get quality for what you paid for. Very near to the river on one side and the Main Street on the other. The day market is just behind and I saw people carrying huge fishes freshly caught. Peter provided me with a map and also reco on what to do. The water, tea and coffee is free and thats very important. Lastly the famed omelette - it was THAT good. Best breakfast ever. This option is almost staying at home without the obligation of one. If I return to LP, I will stay here again

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2013

As soon as I made it up the bank from the boat landing in town and started wandering around trying to get my bearings, I knew Luang Prabang was a place I'd need to spend more than just the three nights I'd booked for. And walking into Manichan's solidified that feeling.

Peter has everything organized so that it takes two minutes to get checked in, there's a map on your bed letting you know where, and when I asked about staying another night, he was able to accommodate me. Then i met some wonderful people at the table in the courtyard, and we started to make travel plans, and one thing lead to another and me staying two more nights in a different room, being invited to join Peter, the kids, and two other women who had volunteered at the school there, to join them to a trip out to Kuang Si falls.

The breakfast looked awesome although I was a late riser just about every day, and didn't partake in it. But i was treated to Manichan's fabulous cooking for dinner, and it was just excellent.

When I arrived at Manichan, I was trying to figure some things out about nearing the end of my year-long round the world adventure, and was looking for a place to stay put for a while and consider my options. Manichan's welcoming atmosphere and great guests along with the family's hospitality, and little Jack [cutest little puppy ever] just added to the overall charm of Luang Prabang. The map that awaits you on your bed lists a bunch of activities that you can either rush through, or tackle a day at a time. There are "regulars" who stay there for several days/weeks at a time on work or volunteer trips, so you get a bit more insight into the things around town. The breakfast table is a great place to meet people and exchange stories over wonderful food.

The staff is simply wonderful, friendly, and make the effort to try to understand what you need, if you can't find Peter or Manichan. The kids are friendly and watch out for them in a game of uno or they might kick your butt. I'm not a dog person, but little Jack totally won me over with his antics and by the end of the seven nights there we were friends. He's still being trained, but he's such a cute bundle of fur and playing with him was great fun.

In the past year, I've stayed at many places, and very few of them have made me feel so at home. Manichan made it very difficult to move on from Luang Prabang.

Other than the great overall experience, a few particulars about the guest house:
Stayed in Room 4 which is a double off the courtyard, with it's own bathroom. Was concerned about noise, but didn't even hear the guests from the breakfast table. Moved to a room upstairs when I overstayed - i think it was room 9 - with the shared bath. It's a corner room and the balcony is just in front of it. loved the breeze from the windows, and there aren't too many people sharing the bathroom to make it an issue. Beds are comfortable. Wifi is pretty decent. It's nice to have the computer terminal for guests to work off as well. Lots of advice offered for things to do, and also tours available on how to do them. You can choose to use the A/C or not and you're not charged if you don't use it. I like the "honor system" bar wherever they have it - shows that the owner trusts the guests, and it's just a nice gesture.

I thought the location was perfect. Walking distance to the night market, and really to most of town - the end of the peninsula is a leisurely 20 minutes. I walked all over town, and it's close enough to come back for a siesta before going out for dinner or drinks. Just off the Mekong street. Close to the morning market. And you can roll out of bed and down the slope to the Mekong to watch the neighbors and the monks participate in the tak bat, and away from the tourists that flood the main street.

Room Tip: Room 9 upstairs corner has two sets of windows.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Pros: 3 min walking to the night market, one minute to the water, clean rooms, awesome breakfast - fresh fruit, yoghurt , granola, eggs, crepes and coffee, computer with internet for free use, nice outdoor area to sit and fully stocked "honest fridge" (take drinks and write down what you took and pay at the end)
Cons: a bit expensive for its value, rooms were a bit small

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Manichan Guesthouse was a welcome relief after shuttling between inns, overnight trains and the chaotic Hanoi. My travelling partner chose the place based on the list of the 2013 Travellers' Choice Award. Stayed at the ground floor twin room with attached bathroom for two nights. The room was clean, complete with basic amenities, save that the bathroom floor was a bit sticky and the water pressure a bit low as a guest has pointed out. Well, not a major problem altogether--the cozy setting of the place made the guests instantly feel at home. I wish I had more time to laze around and read a book on the swing at the courtyard.
Worth a mention was the really wonderful breakfast spread, had the most delicious toast and homemade yoghurt. Read a lot about the amazing omelette they served and I must say that it didn't disappoint. The guesthhouse also provides excellent laundry service, the clean laundry is usually returned to the guest on the same day folded nicely in a basket.
The guesthouse has a curfew hour at 10pm but guests are allowed to use the common area after the curfew hours. Peter is accommodating and funny. When I asked to borrow a hairdryer, he answered, "We don't use a hairdryer here, go out cycling and feel the wind in your hair". Point taken, inconvenient grooming habits prevent one from really enjoying the nature during a holiday! But he was extremely helpful and went out all the way in his silk pajamas and a torchlight to help me locate my missing laundry on the last night of my stay. Turned out that the pair of shorts I was looking for was still wet and hanging behind the kitchen.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends