“Moonlight”

Ranked #7 of 267 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Manichan = Moonlight
Fantastic place
Peter and Manichan and their kids offer a great family feel.
Loved all of them.
To repeat that this is a fantastic place in a fantastic location and a great value.
Just stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Manichan Guesthouse

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We accidentally stumbled across Manichan and were pleasantly surprised! The B&B is set around a small, flowery courtyard. Good bed, very clean rooms. They serve the best breakfast we've had in SE Asia, with great fruit & granola yoghurt, eggs to order, good croissants and wholewheat bread. Free (real) coffee, tea and water all day.

Manichan is run by a very friendly Belgium/Lao couple. Great value for money.

The only negative is that the room we had was facing another street at the back. This road was the morning market supply road so it was very noisy every morning. Consider taking airco so you can close the window.

Room Tip: rooms away from the back are probably less noisy. or consider taking airco (for 5$ extra) so you can...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Throughout my time in Laos I was looking for a hotel that gave me people to talk to as a solo traveller but still clean, well appointed room. I finally found it at manichan! Peter was very helpful and talked to me about staying in one room and switching to the one I had originally booked the next night. This was fine by me and both rooms were wonderful. I especially enjoyed the thunderstorms overnight and the rain on the roofs. Breakfast was great, though a bit pricy and I probably would have gone out once or twice if I had remembered it wasn't included (my own fault since it was explicitly on my Agoda reservation!) Peter was very helpful in getting me a good price on my tuk tuk to the airport. I loved walking up to the house and it just felt very comfortable in lp. I'll tell my friends to stay here! Also, it's a fantastic location but still quiet!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I arrived at luang prabang with a German couple that already went to Peter's guesthouse Manichan and went back because they loved it. It was a very warm welcome in a new place and for dutchspeaking people nice to speak your language after a few weeks :-) Staying at Manichan's guesthouse is like a homestay: very cosy, free coffee / tea and water all day long, fabulous breakfast, nice evening talks... The Belgian owner Peter can arrange a lot of activities and can advise on good resto's. Staying at Manichan definitely makes your stay in Luang Prabang a winner!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Simply put, we'll never stay anywhere else in LP. We've paid the same price elsewhere in SE Asia for accommodations that aren't half as nice as Manichan (and thus weren't worth the price). The rooms are spotless and nicely decorated, the beds comfortable, the hot water supply ample, and the air con cool. Little touches like free coffee, tea, and water plus a courtyard with an amazingly fragrant jasmine tree set this place apart. Speaking of the courtyard, it's a wonderful place to meet fellow travelers from all over the world and exchange stories. The location is great - right in the heart of it all - so you can walk everywhere. but it's still very quiet. The owners are very helpful in planning your stay in LP as well as onward travel, even helping guests book plane tickets, bus tickets, etc. They are famous for their homemade breakfast, which is really fantastic if a bit expensive for what you get. The wifi is not great, but that seems to be a problem everywhere in Laos. Overall, this was one of the best places we've stayed in 4.5 months of travel in SE Asia, and I doubt you'll find better accommodations in for this price in LP.

Room Tip: Spring for a room on the courtyard. Though breakfast takes place right outside the rooms, we didn...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WanderrlustAdv
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This review is long overdue: but I had such a great time I had to buckle down and write it.

I adored my time at Manichan. Objectively, the location was great, the rates were reasonable, the rooms were clean, well maintained, and the layout itself as lovely. The guesthouse consists of the main house, which has a number of rooms and shared bathrooms, a small courtyard and then a handful of individual rooms with private bathrooms. I am quite picky about the state of bathrooms, and was happy with the one I had!

Subjectively, the people and atmosphere were lovely. Peter and Manichan are incredibly warm and welcoming, ready to share about LPB now and before. Veritable fonts of information for where to go in the city or beyond.

The communal area was a great place to chat to people; I actually ended up travelling with a few of them down to Phonsavan and Vientaine. Travelling alone, I had been worried that staying in a guesthouse I would end up surrounded by gap year backpackers intent on partying and getting drunk; definitely not the case at Manichan. There was one main communal table where everyone could have breakfast together; but if you're not bright eyed and bushy tailed, then there are a couple at the side where you can nurse a coffee until you feel like human interaction.

Laundry was relatively inexpensive and turned around within a day.

And yes, the breakfasts, whilst may cost more than a street stall roll, are delicious and set you up for the day. Oh their omelettes!

One of the guys who was staying there decided to stay in LPB a few more nights, however Manichan Guesthouse was fully booked out. We went with him to look at some other places..... and let's just say, I was pretty happy that I'd decided to stay here!

Room Tip: If you would prefer a private bathroom, stipulate when you book.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank georginah10
Reviewed 24 March 2014

A very friendly Lao-Belgian couple runs this place. He is Belgian, and has a fascinating life story, ongoing with many ambitious projects in the city. She is Lao, also fascinating to talk to, knowledgeable in medicinal plants and Lao culture. What we enjoyed the most, extending our stay from 3 to 9 days because we couldn't bring ourselves to leave, is the friendly common breakfast table and all the fun people we met there. It's a great place to talk to other guests and share experiences. We had a courtyard room with a bathroom. It is comfortable and cozy. They put an extra bed & mattress for our 2 sons.
Breakfast is certainly a major plus, not only is it friendly but it's sumptuous. Croissant, baguette and whole grain bread. Fresh fruit & juice. Pancakes or eggs. Wonderful. This must certainly be factored into the price. At cheaper places you can skip breakfast, have a bad breakfast, or buy one outside, all of which have major drawbacks.
They can also sell you tours and bus tickets, which is very convenient. But don't buy one right away -- you may well end up staying longer than intended in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family