“Mixed bag but would rebook”

MyLaoHome Xayana Guesthouse
Ranked #185 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag but would rebook”
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

Cheap, great location- opted for a private room for three which works out as much as a dorm per person.

Rooms are big, nice lounge area out front. Good shower, nice balcony on room.

Cons- one plug in the entire room and everything shuts off when the lights are off at night so you cant charge whilst out or at night. Uncomfortable beds. Shuts up at midnight and you get evils for trying to get in any later.

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in October. Can't fault the location (right beside the night Market and Jomas) or the room (massive 4 person room for equivalent of €15 per night). Beds were made each day, towels were changed and bins emptied.

However it was after paying up front for the week that we were informed that we had to pay each day for the safety deposit box (another daily €2). Then when checking out we had to pay another 10,000 kip to store each rucksack for just a few hours. Staff are rude - one came banging on our door at 11pm insisting that we hadn't paid for the safety deposit box that day even though we had. Other days there was so staff manning reception so anybody could have wandered in off the street.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Worldweary2012
singapore
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The rooms were very clean and well upkept with wide and spacious beds. At less than 6 dollars, as a solo traveller, i felt that this is the best hostel i have stayed as compared to many other places which are dirty and not as well kept.

The staff were very helpful and smiling all the time. The best part is that it is very easy to meet people as there is a big seating area infront which are very relaxing in the evening.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Any traveller of the Mekong region of South East Asia will undoubtedly have experienced the 3-day slow boat from Chiang Khong to Luang Prabang. After 3-days on a hot, cramped boat, my partner and I looked forward to a nice relaxing evening in our hotel that we had pre-booked a few days beforehand. Despite receiving an email confirmation, on arrival, relieved to have finally escaped the clutches of the boat, we were told that there was no recollection of our booking at all. After showing them the confirmation email, they then told us they would upgrade us for one of our 2 nights. To their credit they moved us to a much nicer room, which we were very happy with. A matter of minutes later, there was a knock on the door and they were told that the room was too expensive and they couldn't possible allow us to stay there. After offering them a financial compromise, they declined and attempted to move us to a dirty, old, dark hostel up the road that clearly had nothing to do with their MyLaoHomes company. They then informed us that the second night was now sold out also and we could not stay there at all. After dealing with some incredibly rude staff we demanded our money back and went in search of another hostel. As I'm sure you can appreciate, after a lengthy stay on a boat and a trek thorugh an unknown city with heavy backpacks, the last thing we wanted was to have this issue. To top this all off, our stay was meant to be at the beginning of July...I received an email yesterday...in October as a booking confirmation. I have no idea who is organising the bookings at MyLaoHomes Xayana Guesthouse, however I feel a trained monkey would do a far superior job. For Luang Prabang I would instead recommend looking along the same street as there are many very nice, reasonably priced places to stay. We stayed in the Hoxieng Guesthouse and were thoroughly impressed with our stay and to this day remains one of our favourite accommodations in our extensive travels around South East Asia.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dave F

Travellers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I was woken at 5.45
telling me that he was not targeted
in the list of payment
when I had paid in advance for several days ...
no safe
you have to carry all day with your stuff
personal camera, pc, ect.
If you leave them in charge reccecion,
no lockers ..
My particular I recorded my stuff
I opened the suitcase was locked position ..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sugar6449
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I really liked this hostel - it was clean, comfortable, secure and excellent value for money. It was also a good place to meet other travellers - I met some friendly people there, who I enjoyed spending time with in Laos. It was also in a very good location, close to the river, several tourist attractions, and the night market. The only thing I didn't like about the hostel was that they charged a lot to use the safety deposit boxes - as much as the cost of a room!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Hannah K
Daegu, South Korea
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in August 2012, And can't really complain too much. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, each dorm had 2 toilets and 2 showers, great value at 35000 Kip per night. The staff were hospitable although there were no keys issued so when you want to go to the room you have to get somebody to let you in which is a bit of a pain. They also have a safe behind reception which was handy. Great social atmosphere, met many other travellers to hang out with; the friendliest place I stayed on my visit to Laos. Also in a great location close to the night market. A big downside is that there is a midnight curfew and if you come back later and the dorm is locked then tough, this happened to a friend but fortunatley there was a spare bed in our dorm for her!! Another downside was that the towels they gave us were a little damp and smelt a bit funky - fortunatley I had brought my own! If you are looking for a cheap and social place to stay in the centre of Luang Prabang then I would highly reccomend this place - also, check out the bakery just around the corner!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends